Thread: 1x02 - The Night of the Comet

Thanks

Default 1x02 - The Night of the Comet

Well then, I thought I'd open the thread for the second episode. Since the other thread is more about pronunciation at the moment

The 'overacting' people have called Ian's acting, is working for me. I love how Ian is portaying Damon. He's very convincing to me.
    Overal the acting is pretty good I think. Certainly for a new show, the actors still have to grow in their characters and are doing a good job I think.

Poor Vicki! Damon haunting her like that. And it's quite annoying that Stefan knows he's not as strong as his brother, but seems to accept it and even though he came to the 'rescue' he didn't put up a fight to save Vicki. Does he know his brother so well that he knew his "well then tell them and lock me up, you're not getting me back" attitude would work?

Overall I'm loving the series so far. I'm curious as to what road they're going to take. Knowing it's based on a book series, we at least know there's a mythology and all behind there

Thanks

Okay, well as I mentioned in the other thread, I enjoyed the second episode, especially Stefan trying to glamor Vicki, the scene where Elena meets Damon, and the scene between Damon, Stefan, and Vicki on the rooftop. I actually found it a little bit touching when Damon backpedaled and fixed everything with Vicki in the face of Stefan's threat of letting himself be killed--that Damon didn't want his brother to actually die, although perhaps this is only because he wants his brother alive to be able to keep tormenting him....I also loved Damon's exchange with Elena, the way he brought up Katherine and such, he was so funny and naughty!

Oh and also I liked Stefan metaphorically comparing himself to the comet....I do like Stefan, I've realized, even if not as much as I like Damon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosely View Post
    Does he know his brother so well that he knew his "well then tell them and lock me up, you're not getting me back" attitude would work?
    I think he must, and it was nice to see him be able to play/get to Damon for once, when so far we've only seen the other way around happening....
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

Am I the only one who's hating this series? The pilot wasn't particularly bad or good, but I found this second episode just boring... The only characters I'd save were Jenna and Damon.
    Plus, when Elena says "We talked and it was epic" I couldn't help but think of Veronica Mars, and the comparison of the two series made me hate VD even more.
    I'm giving up on it. Not even shirtless Paul Wesley and Ian Somerdale can keep me watching.
    What? You’ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Graveyard Patrol doppelganger47's Avatar
    Thanks

^i totally agree that Elena/Stefan were soooo not epic (how can you be epic by the end of episode 1???), like LoVe epic, especially since we didn't even get to see the whole epic night spent together talking...*rolls eyes* (talking does not equal epic)

first episode was ok, second was boring...i personally don't see much in the rivalry between Stefan and Damon, because Damon has all the power due to him feeding on humans, whereas Stefan's only power is suicide...(because Damon gets his kicks out of play-torturing Stefan)

but i'll still keep watching...i've never stopped a series at 2 episodes before; that's way too early to make a proper judgment.
    veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

Sadly, my cable went out and I missed the first half of this episode, what I saw, I really enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrilina
    Oh and also I liked Stefan metaphorically comparing himself to the comet....I do like Stefan, I've realized, even if not as much as I like Damon!
    I LOVED the line about the comet. It was surprisingly accurate in referencing himself! And maybe I'm silly, but it really made me respect him, their relationship, and the show for including something so symbolic about him but not having it directly said.

And I'm finding myself liking Stefan even though I was originally sure I wouldn't. I'm actually quite struck by how much he reminds me of Angel in his bone structure particularly when in the shadows.

Has the show told us which of the brothers is older? I had originally thought Damon because of his bullying attitude, but now I'm not so sure. Damon's attitude towards Stefan seems to be more of anger and resentment rather than simple arrogance. So Damon being the younger brother and having lived in Stefan's shadow for his formative years definitely would indicate that Stefan has not always been the nice one.

I haven't found myself caring as much about the supporting characters as much as I'd like. Her psychic friend is on her way to becoming a likeable developed character. But everyone else still feels like noise and filler especially compared to Elena, Stefan, and Damon. I'd like to see more of Elena's interactions with her friends, family, and school to get a better understanding of her attachments to this world.

Lydia made the punch!

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Others are free to disagree, but I looked forward to this series for close to a year, and now that it's here it seems bland and predictable to me. I couldn't even finish watching episode 2. I'm really disappointed!

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I knew nothing about the books except that they existed and were written around the early 90's. I didnt hear about the series until a couple days before the first episode aired.
    So I could go in with an open mind. I wasnt expecting to like it much because of the channel its on mostly, Im just not drawn to the types of shows normally on this channel. I was expecting BH 90210 w/ vampires LOL. I've been pleasantly surprised. It doesnt remind me of ANY previous vampire shows (not even the one that starts with T, lol), Stefen doesnt remind me of Edward or Angel AT ALL. I like the story. Its interesting, its edgier then I would of expected but not as raunchy as the vampire series on HBO.
    I love Damon though. Im a little tired of the vampire who isnt loud and proud I guess, lol. Damon is a great bad guy.
    The only thing that concerns me is the series is moving so fast. I mean in next weeks previews Elena is straddling Stefan and removing her top (before she starts hysterically screaming). Dang, they just had their first kiss? Maybe Im just getting old? ha ha!
    I'd also like to see Bonnie fleshed out a little more, or a lot more.
    What are her abilities exactly?
    I cannot wait to find out more the brotherly rivalry also

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    And I'm finding myself liking Stefan even though I was originally sure I wouldn't. I'm actually quite struck by how much he reminds me of Angel in his bone structure particularly when in the shadows.
    Lol, yeah, someone did point out those similarities in the other thread earlier, and I agree, the forehead especially is reminiscent of DB, although I think personally that DB is hotter!

Has the show told us which of the brothers is older? I had originally thought Damon because of his bullying attitude, but now I'm not so sure. Damon's attitude towards Stefan seems to be more of anger and resentment rather than simple arrogance. So Damon being the younger brother and having lived in Stefan's shadow for his formative years definitely would indicate that Stefan has not always been the nice one.
    I think in the first episode that Damon refers to Stefan as "little brother," so unless I'm remembering incorrectly he is the elder brother of the two. I think his anger and resentment might stem from his younger brother getting what he wanted, even though he's the youngest (like a Esau vs. Jacob kind of thing)....
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Supernatural whore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cliomiao View Post
    Am I the only one who's hating this series? The pilot wasn't particularly bad or good, but I found this second episode just boring... The only characters I'd save were Jenna and Damon.
    Plus, when Elena says "We talked and it was epic" I couldn't help but think of Veronica Mars, and the comparison of the two series made me hate VD even more.
    I'm giving up on it. Not even shirtless Paul Wesley and Ian Somerdale can keep me watching.
    Yea i'm not really digging it either! I gave it a shot, i have never read the books maybe i would like them better. I just don't think this show is going to hit the spot with me. I feel like the whole premises of the show is played out, and cliche. Of course i realize that the books are pretty old, and the story itself isn't played out and cliche, just the feel of the show and it's predictability. I am going to watch one more episode so that i give this show a fair chance, but i don't think i'll be tuning in every week. I just feel like this show was put out there to feed the vampire frenzy that twilight inspired last year. That's just my honest opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

I'll concur. I'm really only sticking with it for the time being because my mother seems to like it quite a bit. And it's always nice to have some fandoms to talk to with her about. BUt overall, it moves too slow and isn't as interesting as I think it could be. I hear this third episode is supposed to shift the focus some, so we will see.

That said, I still love Ian and I love how is is overacting and embracing the cheese!

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Thank goodness- I thought I was the only one that wasn't getting into VD as much. I was so bored that my focus shifted more to my computer and then toward the end I was like oh- "I forgot VD is on." That's bad, eh? But I'll still give it another chance, eps. after watching the third episode.

And anyone tell me why Paul Wesley looks so hot? I mean I've seen this guy before and I thought he was "eh-okay" Now he looks so different- sup with that?
    Banner by Digital Leonardo

Graveyard Patrol doppelganger47's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    And anyone tell me why Paul Wesley looks so hot? I mean I've seen this guy before and I thought he was "eh-okay" Now he looks so different- sup with that?
    it's the vamp appeal ...they're just seductive. the only other time i've seen him was on the OC, where he played some bad-ass guy from the wrong side of town (not much appeal).
    veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    I know! That's exactly how I felt going into the show. I found him annoying on the OC and elsewhere and now it's like wow, he actual does have some seductive appeal.

Like doppelganger47 says, vamp appeal always helps. But I think it has to do with his acting. Onscreen, I like that restrained nature where he seems to be bursting with emotion within but only barely expressing it outwardly. I find it mysterious. I also think it has to do with the lighting and camera angles that are immensely flattering.

Lydia made the punch!

Supernatural whore
    Thanks

I don't particularly get the hotness of the characters! I find the brothers, kind of bland. And yes Stephen def resembles David boreanez!!! But damen, eh, i just feel like he needs a shower! lol And speaking of resemblances, Elaina, does she remind anyone of the girl who played Liz on roswell???? Every time i look at her that's who i think of! lol..

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Elena reminds me of Rachel Ray LOL!!!!
    Damon reminds me of a younger Rob Lowe.