Thread: BF BOOK CLUB Discussion: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Thanks

Default BF BOOK CLUB Discussion: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

This thread is for the discussion of our third novel, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Please only use this thread for the discussion of Wuthering Heights. If you need a copy of the novel it can be found here. This discussion will remain open for four weeks.

Thanks

Wuthering Heights was the first novel I read for university, and the first I wrote an essay for. So it's kind of stuck in my head all these years. Some of the imagery is very powerful - of wild things knocking at windows, of people semi-transformed into hungry wolves by love and need - but I'm not sure I can take the book seriously since I heard the Kate Bush song about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0azq9GF_g

Silly songs aside, there's something about this book that threw me off kilter. The myth of it, and what I expected of it, promised something expansive and dramatic when, actually, it's a book full of frames within frames - one narrator relating the narration of another, none of them superbly reliable.

One thing that interested me about the reality of the book versus the myth is that...Heathcliff isn't this great romantic hero. He's a grubby little boy who becomes a grumpy man. When Cathy and he are together, it's all wild and crazy... but, as a character, Heathcliff's just rather drab, in my eyes. Cathy's monstrous in a Greek mythy medusa sort of way, and enjoyable for that.

But perhaps the biggest surprise was that the book was only partly about Heathcliff and Cathy directly - the generations of the family and the echoes of their folie a deux take up a lot of the narrative, as do the thoughts of various outsiders and minor characters.

It's a very strange book as a result. Ten years on, I'm still not sure what I make of it. I don't think I like it, but at the same time, it's got something compelling about it - it's sort of a puzzle, the way it escapes its own myth and shifts under your feet. (If you were standing on it...erm)

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --