Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mad Men

Thanks
    Thanked 2,994 Times in 984 Posts

Since I wasn't aware of the actor leaving because he has a pilot that is picked up I never saw Ginsberg's fate coming. It didn't feel out of place but it shocked me nevertheless. The episode as a whole was difficult to watch because everything was so dark. Poor Bobby who is incredibly unhappy, the Francis marriage falling apart, same could be said about the Draper marriage and a homeless pregnant Stephanie who is kicked out by Megan before Don could talk with her and help her.

This weeks episode made me feel a lot better. And that is because of Don and Peggy. Both can be impossible and unlikable but they still make the series for me. I hope we're not heading to a Don/Peggy romance because I love their working relationship and Don is too much Peggy's mentor even now. But just like the Suitcase I love this episode and the honest sweet moments between these two. The ending with these two and Pete eating something in the fastfood restaurant made me happy because in the end these three are the core of the show. And while I don't know where Weiner wants to leave these characters when the show ends I'm pretty sure that these three will be somehwere in an office together. Talking about Pete... it was a classic Pete episode. There was over the top happiness, there was ackwardness and there was a tantrum. Damn Pete how dare you to judge Trudy for having a date while you parade your new girlfriend around. On the other side... it's Pete; you can't expect something else.

I love how Harry is a partner now. He always seems so useless and clueless but he is making it. And Roger is obviously the one that is going to play the big games this season, finally after all these years where he did barely anything. Oh and I enjoy the way they show us how the marriage between Don and Megan fails. Because of the obvious jumps in time between the episodes you can see several fights and bad moments in their marriage. I wasn't happy with how they introduced the troubles in the Francis marriage last episode because it felt like it came out of the blue. There was always this idea that Betty found her man; somebody who has enough patience and love to make the marriage work. And now out of nowhere we hear that they fight a lot. Don and Megan are obviously growing apart but still hold on to the marriage. It's facinating to see how two people know it's not working but still clinge to the marriage anyway.

And Bob Benson goes away? yes! I don't know but I'm with Pete... Bob Benson is bad news. And I'm extremely glad that Joan didn't say yes to him. Also is Ted going to do anything? Because he is the most useless character this season. A season that is almost on hiatus. I like the season and I hope it doesn't lose it's momentum due this stupid plan by AMC. I wonder what is going to happen next week thouh since this week's episode could've worked as a final episode of season 7 part I as well.
    Last edited by Nina; 20-05-14 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks

I thought that was a very well-written episode that capped off the season (break) in a great way. I remember Matthew Weiner saying that he approached this episode just like he has all the previous mid-season episodes but he clearly put in a little more effort here to give it a sense of conclusion.

Bert has always been one of my favorite characters on this show and it is horrible that he's not going to be on the show anymore. Robert Morse has always lent gravitas to his role and it is going to be strange to not have him around at the agency. Despite his quirkiness, he was always a key player whenever time demanded it. I felt a real sense of fulfillment in terms of seeing the timing of his character being written out, not just because it is the final season or because this was the mid-season finale, but in the overarching scheme of things. With his character gone, it really does feel like the end of an era now.

Liked the little moments all the characters got. It's great to see the Don-Peggy relationship on the mend again and the organic way in which it happened. I wonder what it's going to be like to have Ted back in the city and how Peggy reacts to it. Pete made me laugh way too many times tonight and Roger earned a lot of kudos. Sad to see the end of Don and Megan's marriage as I really did like Megan quite a lot and was a fan of their relationship in the beginning.

Still very glad that the show is ending next year rather than in a few weeks because I'd much rather deal with my Mad Men detox next year than now.
    Banner and avatar by Nina
    <a href=http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8337 target=_blank>http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8337</a>

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ameer For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (27-05-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ameer View Post
    I thought that was a very well-written episode that capped off the season (break) in a great way. I remember Matthew Weiner saying that he approached this episode just like he has all the previous mid-season episodes but he clearly put in a little more effort here to give it a sense of conclusion.
    I'm suprised to hear that since I had the feeling that it felt a bit like the final Mad Men episode. I don't think I would've been upset is this was how it all ended despite the lack of real closure. Bert's death was big enough to make the episode special and indeed the end of an era. It feels a bit like the dad is dead now. Roger seems to slowly become more mature now; where he started this season sleeping with several young people he was now watching tv with his first wife, son-in-law and his grandchild. And Cooper's death certainly gave him the wake-up call he needed to actually do something instead of only moaning about Harry Hamlin's character.

Liked the little moments all the characters got. It's great to see the Don-Peggy relationship on the mend again and the organic way in which it happened. I wonder what it's going to be like to have Ted back in the city and how Peggy reacts to it. Pete made me laugh way too many times tonight and Roger earned a lot of kudos. Sad to see the end of Don and Megan's marriage as I really did like Megan quite a lot and was a fan of their relationship in the beginning.
    Perhaps this is why the episode felt so final as well; all characters got to shine and with Peggy having an awesome pitch and the Draper marriage ending it gave a real feeling of closure. Even Ted who did nothing this season got a great moment. (Although Pete's reaction is even better.... "The clients don't want to die either, Ted!") But my favorite moment was Peggy hugging the little boy while realizing that her child is also 10. That scene touched me more than Cooper's death. (Perhaps also because Cooper's death ended in Roger making the McCann plan and thus the scene where Pete and Joan were both hilarious and horrible when they realize that they will have a lot of money. That killed the mood a bit although the very end was weird and heartbreaking at the same time. Don having to sit down because he understands that Cooper is gone now was touching.)
    Last edited by Nina; 26-05-14 at 04:04 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (27-05-14)

Thanks

Spoiler alert: I'm not using spoiler tags here because we don't usually seem to in this thread but if the mods think we should use them, I'll be happy to do so.

It’s strange to think that Mad Men is ending in a few weeks. “Severance” was a stellar way to start the beginning of these last few episodes and I can’t wait to see how it all ends. All the embargoed reviews I read of this episode in the last few weeks touted it as a commendable return but I personally felt like it was one of the strongest episodes the show has done in a while — definitely surpassing the first half of the season, which I also thought was quite good.

Other than Roger’s facial hair, one of the biggest things that caught me off-guard was that the show’s swan song will take places in the 70s. I love it when costumes help tell the story and few seem to be as good at doing that as Janie Bryant. The change in Don’s clothes in this episode was a nice touch for those who’re into these things.

I loved the way the episode started. I’d been spoiled by a review about the misdirection in the opening scene but it was fun to see the Draper Effect after so long. Don may be plagued by a perpetual existential crisis but at least there are small signs that indicate he is attempting to reconcile himself with the duality in his life. The scene with him and Roger and the girls reminded me of the first season when Don and Roger took their wives out to dinner and now 10 years later, they are trudging along life after two failed marriages. I’m interested to see if the writers revisit Pete’s post-divorce life and bring it into the equation like they did briefly in S5 and 6.

I was glad to see Rachel one last time. She is by far my favorite guest character on the show and her brief reappearance seemed to be one of many shoutouts in this episode to the show’s initial days. I’ve never had a huge issue with Jon Hamm not winning an Emmy in all these years because the competition in that category is always fierce but that scene with Don at Rachel’s house looking at her kids and the way he reacts — Jon Hamm’s actual physical reaction to the loss and comprehension of what he could have had with Rachel — was superb acting. It would be a pity for him to have a win-less Emmy run like Martin Sheen for The West Wing.

“The Life Not Lived” seemed like such an appropriate theme for this episode. That was true for many of the characters in this episode — Don, Peggy, Joan, Pete and of course, Kenny. My favorite line in this episode probably came from Pete: “Of course, now it really feels like a dream, but at the time it seemed so real.” Mad Men is quite possibly the only show aside form Six Feet Under that has mixed themes of existentialism and magical realism this skillfully. With Peggy, Joan and even Pete (even if a little more subtly), it seemed that the more things change the more they remain the same.

Too bad for Kenny that he was the first casualty of the McKann buyout. He’s always been one of the more unambiguously decent characters on the show and even though you’d expect him to go out and become a writer and not hold a grudge about the way things panned out, he take control of things and plans to exact revenge. I don’t know if these final episodes will give us actual instances of Kenny giving SC&P a hard time but it’s funny to think that the agency will go on having to play nice to him.

All in all, a very intense and engrossing start. Only 6 more to go!

Has there even been a song more perfect for Mad Men than Peggy Lee’s “Is That All There Is?”
    <a href=http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8337 target=_blank>http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8337</a>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ameer View Post
    Spoiler alert: I'm not using spoiler tags here because we don't usually seem to in this thread but if the mods think we should use them, I'll be happy to do so.

It’s strange to think that Mad Men is ending in a few weeks. “Severance” was a stellar way to start the beginning of these last few episodes and I can’t wait to see how it all ends. All the embargoed reviews I read of this episode in the last few weeks touted it as a commendable return but I personally felt like it was one of the strongest episodes the show has done in a while — definitely surpassing the first half of the season, which I also thought was quite good.
    While I enjoyed the first episode I think I prefer one or two from the previous part of the season. At least Waterloo was better IMO. But it was certainly a good start.

Other than Roger’s facial hair, one of the biggest things that caught me off-guard was that the show’s swan song will take places in the 70s. I love it when costumes help tell the story and few seem to be as good at doing that as Janie Bryant. The change in Don’s clothes in this episode was a nice touch for those who’re into these things.
    Is there a sign that it really are the 70s? Couldn't it be the final days of the 60s instead? I'm not sure but I always thought that it was stated that Mad Men would stay in the 60s. I love that the tie and the shirt are pretty much the only things that show some change in Don's looks while the looks of the other characters change a lot more btw.

I loved the way the episode started. I’d been spoiled by a review about the misdirection in the opening scene but it was fun to see the Draper Effect after so long. Don may be plagued by a perpetual existential crisis but at least there are small signs that indicate he is attempting to reconcile himself with the duality in his life. The scene with him and Roger and the girls reminded me of the first season when Don and Roger took their wives out to dinner and now 10 years later, they are trudging along life after two failed marriages. I’m interested to see if the writers revisit Pete’s post-divorce life and bring it into the equation like they did briefly in S5 and 6.
    I thought it was rather depressing because they went from having a stable relationship with women who are their age to one-night stands with younger girls who are really into their money and let these two older man treat them without much respect. It's a pretty depressing state these two are in.

I was glad to see Rachel one last time. She is by far my favorite guest character on the show and her brief reappearance seemed to be one of many shoutouts in this episode to the show’s initial days. I’ve never had a huge issue with Jon Hamm not winning an Emmy in all these years because the competition in that category is always fierce but that scene with Don at Rachel’s house looking at her kids and the way he reacts — Jon Hamm’s actual physical reaction to the loss and comprehension of what he could have had with Rachel — was superb acting. It would be a pity for him to have a win-less Emmy run like Martin Sheen for The West Wing.
    I think Rachel fitted into the episode because of what I just said, Don became a man who walked in circles. Rachel could've been his ticket out of this life and he missed the flight. Her death shuts that door forever.

“The Life Not Lived” seemed like such an appropriate theme for this episode. That was true for many of the characters in this episode — Don, Peggy, Joan, Pete and of course, Kenny. My favorite line in this episode probably came from Pete: “Of course, now it really feels like a dream, but at the time it seemed so real.” Mad Men is quite possibly the only show aside form Six Feet Under that has mixed themes of existentialism and magical realism this skillfully. With Peggy, Joan and even Pete (even if a little more subtly), it seemed that the more things change the more they remain the same.

Too bad for Kenny that he was the first casualty of the McKann buyout. He’s always been one of the more unambiguously decent characters on the show and even though you’d expect him to go out and become a writer and not hold a grudge about the way things panned out, he take control of things and plans to exact revenge. I don’t know if these final episodes will give us actual instances of Kenny giving SC&P a hard time but it’s funny to think that the agency will go on having to play nice to him.
    I thought it was very telling that Ken didn't do what he is better in (writing) but found another way to do the same old job again. They really can't get out, shown also by Peggy whose passport was at her work. If that passport was in her house she would've jumped on the plane to Paris. Let's hope for her that when we look back at that night she didn't lose her flight.

edit:

This is the first episode after Waterloo and in that episode Don saw a dancing Cooper after Cooper died. And now he saw Rachel after Rachel died. I'm not sure if this is connected but it's remarkable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    While I enjoyed the first episode I think I prefer one or two from the previous part of the season. At least Waterloo was better IMO. But it was certainly a good start.

Is there a sign that it really are the 70s? Couldn't it be the final days of the 60s instead? I'm not sure but I always thought that it was stated that Mad Men would stay in the 60s. I love that the tie and the shirt are pretty much the only things that show some change in Don's looks while the looks of the other characters change a lot more btw.

edit:

This is the first episode after Waterloo and in that episode Don saw a dancing Cooper after Cooper died. And now he saw Rachel after Rachel died. I'm not sure if this is connected but it's remarkable.
    The Cambodian Invasion took place in 1970 and (according to Google) Nixon's address was televised in April 1970, so that's the year they're in. I've also been half-wondering since last year whether Cooper's number was reflective of something bigger or if Weiner just wanted to throw us off like with the Megan-Sharon Tate conspiracy.

Thanks

Episode 7.09 "New Business": This must have been the most boring and depressing Mad Men episode ever! Only so few episodes left and Matthew Weiner gives us this dull crap? I do not care about Diana and her angst and her relationship with Don, I do not care about Megan and her annoying family. And where did that Calvert sister come from all of a sudden? At least hopefully this will finally mean the end of Megan, I'm gonna be so relieved when I don't have to see her anymore.

Ugh Harry Crane really is the worst creep ever! Of course he thought that Megan would be desperate enough to sleep with him to get ahead in her acting career. The only good thing Megan did all episode was being disgusted with Harry and turn him down.

The only things I enjoyed in this slow episode were Meredith and her line about the Manson brothers, Roger and his two secretaries and Betty deciding to study psychology. All three were hilarious!

Last week's episode was not really my cup of tea either but it was better than this. Let's hope the last few episodes will at least be somewhat exciting. If Weiner continues like this, I won't be all that sad that the show is ending. Sorry to be so negative but I really expected more from this last half season.

Thanks

The episode did nothing for me either, such a let down after the last three epiodes which were all three really good. While I do not blame the writers for wanting a proper exit for Megan (her not being around at all would be weird as well after the huge role she played in the last seasons) I do think it should've been in a slightly more exciting episode just for balance. Her story is too much of a stand-alone at this point and she isn't as absurd as Betty, which makes her screentime feel a bit wasted. I'm still not sure what they want with Diana, somebody called her the female Don... and I can see that. But one Don is more than enough, Don needs these surreal figures like Pete, Roger and Betty around him to balance him out. Don and Diana are at this point just boring to watch IMO. Perhaps it will get better when we know what the point is of her being around in these last few episodes, but for now it's just not a good addition.

Thanks

It's getting harder every week to watch these episodes, knowing this might very well be the last time we see many of these characters.

Loved today's episode, and the others so far have been good with some low points. Kinda sad that this is how Betty's character gets to sign out of the show. January Jones is not that great an actress but I thought she was pretty decent in this episode. I found some of her scenes pretty gut-wrenching to watch. Betty Draper was never anyone's favorite (although she was mine quite often) but it was refreshing to have a character like her on TV.

Don's story in this episode was strange and scary. I kept thinking he was going to get drunk and tell the other vets about what actually happened in Korea but thankfully he only divulged enough to not get him into any real trouble. The Daily Beast had a ridiculous article that a few others are running with where they're taking Don's words in that scene as a confession of his actually murdering the real Don Draper. I don't know (or think) that that's what Weiner was going for but I certainly did not interpret it as such when I watched it.

Just one more to go. I think it's been a while since I've taken the end of a show this hard. The last time was probably Buffy/Angel.

This has been a fun thread to hang out in over the years. Thanks for posting in here everyone. See you next week!

Thanks

That was... perfect.

Mad Men deserves a lot of kuddos for ending on such a highnote and maintaining this high quality during it's whole run. All with all it could've been a bit tighter (I think this story could've been told in 6 seasons) but overall the seasons were all good. And these last few episodes were great, especially the last two.

I think it was season 5 when I was completely done with Don, his life just frustrated me. And now we saw it all I think that was the point, Donald Draper is one of the most interesting but also most depressing characters of all time. After all the soul searching of the last few seasons, he uses his epiphany to create a commercial. Sure it's the most iconic commercial of the last century but still. He will never be a good father, husband or man. He is a mess who keeps on trying to create a good image and future, a real ad man. I do think he is more accepting of that situation now, it wasn't all for nothing.

Peggy will be fine, she stayed where she belongs and one day she will reach the top. Her romance with Stan was a bit forced, I wish they build it up a bit more. Her realising that she was in love with Stan looked too much like her getting an ad idea and I'm not sure if that was intentional. I don't think so, I think it was to show that Peggy should stay and that everything she wanted and searched for was already within reach.

Pete is going to reinvent himself and start a new life far away from NYC, but without ignoring who he is or was. After years of trying to copy Don, Pete does what Don never could. Pete could've ended as a sad lonely man in NYC but Weiner had mercy on the weasel... and I'm glad he did. After everything I always had a soft spot for Pete.

Betty, poor poor Betty. I kind of wished that we ended her story last week with her walking on the stairs while Sally read her letter. It was truly a beautiful and strong scene. Her conversation with Don was heartbreaking and I didn't want to miss it but still... on the other side her smoking another sigaret while Sally came home to help out was a nice moment as well. I know a lot of people are angry that this happens to Betty but in the end it's Don's story and there is a theme of 'his' women dying young. I do hope the kids will stay with Henry though, Henry has been a good parent for them and, like Sally already stated, it will give them some stability in chaotic times.

Roger finding his match and Joan starting her own company were great, both made me extremely happy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ameer (18-05-15)

Thanks

I'm stumped. That actually was perfect. Won't (actually can't) write much because I'm still processing it, even though it's been hours since I watched it.

Surprisingly, everybody got an ending that was hopeful and uplifting. I'd say even Betty got her happy ending because, as morose as it sounds, she valued her youth and looks above all else and by dying an early death, she is saving herself from all the miseries that old age would certainly have brought her.

I read about the Coke commercial as a possible storyline for the show to end with in an article from Vox last week. I think that's the only time in the entire show's run that someone has predicted something that has actually ended up happening on the show.

Nina, I actually think the Stan/Peggy pairing had an organic development if you take into account their relationship since Season 4. I do agree that their declaration seemed a little on the nose what with it being the final episode and all but I don't begrudge it because it was a fitting way to end things for both those characters.

So many perfect scenes. Too bad this is the end but what perfect closure that was. Don's Om at the end was as cathartic for him as it was for me.