Thread: Haven Episode 1.18 18. Behind the Clouds

Thanks

Default Haven Episode 1.18 18. Behind the Clouds

This is the eighteenth and final episode of "Haven" Season 1, an original series written by me. I hope you enjoy reading it! If you have any feedback, positive or critical, please post it here, thank you

Haven Episode 1.18 18. Behind the Clouds

Written and Produced by Alex Hart
    Edited by Lex

Special thanks to Heather

Disclaimer: The series “Haven”, its characters, locations and ideas are all creations belonging to Alex Hart. The work is fictional and meant for entertainment purposes only. No unauthorised usage of anything in “Haven” is permitted without prior permission, thank you.

TEASER

THEMESONG: “Not Gonna Get Us” - Tatu

The eerie start of the song plays as we see grey smoke. “Haven” in black, torn letters fades in. It disappears as the drums start. The smoke is gone also. There are a series of quick shots: a gun being fired. A high-heeled foot stepping next to a pole. A syringe injecting someone’s arm. A knife being raised. A key turning in a lock. Coins scattering on a table. A close up of a woman’s lips as she applies lipstick. A shovel being forced into the ground. A close up of someone handcuffing another person’s wrists. A hand flicking a cigarette lighter on. A pair of pliers approaching someone’s finger. A dagger covered in blood hitting the ground. A hand grabbing on to someone’s arm. A close up of an eye opening wide.

As the song suddenly becomes more energetic, there is a montage of criminal records, each face only seen for a fraction of a second.

The camera zooms towards Juliet looking shocked.

MELISSA GEORGE

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Juliet walking with a neutral expression on her face. There is a shot of Juliet pointing a gun looking resolute. There is a shot of Juliet turning her face, looking serious. The credit flickers away.

There is a shot of Juliet, Grace and Tegan running. There is a shot of the illuminated “Summertime General” sign.

There is a shot of Devyn reaching out for something.

JUSTIN THEROUX

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Devyn punching someone. There is a shot of him leaning against a wall. There is a shot of him smiling, a little smugly. The credit flickers away.

There is a shot of a little girl with a knife in her hand. There is a shot of a gun being fired into the air.

There is a shot of Tegan typing on a computer.

LEISHA HAILEY

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Tegan turning, the flash of sirens causing her to shield her eyes. There is a shot of Tegan putting her hand over mouth. There is a shot of Tegan ****ing her head slightly, smiling. The credit flickers away.

A shot of a woman walking down a corridor of Haven, purposefully. A shot of a man and a woman kissing.

There is a shot of Gael holding out a large knife.

CHARLIE HUNNAM

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Gael hugging someone. There is a shot of a tear streaming down Gael’s face. There is a shot of Gael laughing. The credit flickers away.

A shot of the main entrance opening. A shot of Mark and Aura turning looking surprised in Summertime General.

There is a shot of Grace carrying a plate of food.

SANDRA OH

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Grace putting her head in her hands. A shot of her putting her finger over her lips. A shot of her smiling a little. The credit flickers away.

There is a shot of an explosion. A shot of Grace crying in Gael’s arms.

There is a shot of Aura sat at one of the tables in Haven’s kitchen.

DANA DAVIS

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Aura turning looking shocked. A shot of her at the till in Summertime General. A shot of her smiling kindly. The credit flickers away.

There is a shot of a hand being placed on the identification pad. A shot of Bethany kissing someone.

There is a shot of Mark walking down the first lower corridor.

RYAN CARNES

The credits flicker on to the screen. There is a shot of Mark looking troubled. A shot of Mark diving out of the way of something. A shot of Mark stroking someone’s hair.

There is a shot of Royce punching someone. A shot of a man moving over a man’s bare stomach.

There is a shot of Jackie sitting in a chair, her index finger on her temple. She looks thoughtful.

STEPHANIE ROMANOV

The credit flickers on to the screen. There is a shot of Jackie turning, looking out of breath. A shot of her walking looking formidable. A shot of her examining a gun. The credit flickers away.

There is a shot of a corridor in Haven. The camera zooms through to the lobby, spinning around, backing through the front entrance. The doors close.

CUT TO: BLACK

Guest Starring:

JULIE BENZ – Erica McArthur
    CANDICE BERGEN – Kathleen Owens
    KELLY CARLSON – Alandra Stone
    JOANNA CASSIDY – Deirdre Kyre
    BRADLEY CONNOR – Greg Maxx
    PERCY DAGGS – Sam Shaw
    JOSH DUHAMEL – Dominic Healy
    DAVID HEWLETT – Leo Falcon
    PETER KRAUSE – Warren Jeffers
    MARLENE LAWSTON – Amy McArthur
    ANNA PAQUIN - Elle LaTour
    JAMES PICKENS JR. – Royce Appleby
    KEVIN RAHM - Neil Greys
    AMANDA SEYFRIED – Bethany Thyme
    SARAH SHAHI – Francesca DeSisto

OPEN ON:

INT. STREET – NIGHT

Cars travel bath and forth along the road. The camera pans down to two men in their 20s, both of them drinking from beer bottles and laughing.

Man #1: No no, she was like...

He stops and tries to steady himself.

Man #1: (mimicking a woman) Oh, Andy, what you’re doing with your tongue, oh, don’t stop!

The other guy laughs louder.

Man #2: Man, whatever!

Man #1 (Andy): That is the truth bro, for real!

Man #2: Yeah well I-I bet I could do better.

Andy laughs, surprised.

Andy: You-you-you better not try anything!

The second man grins, indicating he is joking. He takes a swig from his bottle and begins to cross the road. A car swerves slightly to avoid him, beeping. The second man raises his glass.

Man #2: Woo! Thank you!

He walks backwards to the central division. Andy follows, laughing.

Andy: You’re gonna get yourself killed!

Man #2: No-no-no I am spry!

He jumps slightly. Andy rolls his eyes taking another swig as they stumble across the second lane. As they do so the sound of police sirens is heard. Andy’s smile fades slightly as a police car pulls up to them.

Andy: Damn.

The unnamed man takes another swig.

Man #2: Dude don’t-don’t worry let me han-han-handle this.

He waves his hand smiling in a dazed manner. A policeman gets out. He looks serious.

Policeman: All right you two, bottles down.

Man #2: Hey...hey man, listen, we’re...

He gathers his speech.

Man #2: We’re nearly done.

He goes to take another swig but the policeman takes out a truncheon.

Policeman: Bottles. Down.

The second man looks argumentative. Andy glances at him nervously.

Andy: Sean maybe we should just-

Sean: Nah, nah Andy this...this is our street!

He points down at the ground.

Sean: And we’re going home!

He points at the officer who stares at him for a second. Suddenly he takes out a dart gun as seen at the end of 1.17 and shoots both men in the neck. They gasp. The bottles crash to the ground. The two men fall back, unconscious.

CUT TO:

INT. POLICE CAR

The two men are seen in the back seat, sat up, but unconscious. The policeman gets in the front seat and speaks into a radio.

Policeman: This is patrol car 371. We have two more.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREET

The police car’s engine is started. “Amethyst” is painted on the side. It drives away.

FADE TO: WHITE

Thanks

ACT I

FADE TO:

EXT. BELVIEW CITYSCAPE – NIGHT

CUT TO:

EXT. STREETS OF BELVIEW

Royce and Devyn are watching the streets from behind some bushes.

Devyn: Looks clear.

Royce: Wait.

Devyn looks at him and then back at the street. From the shadows, in the distance moves a police officer, walking purposefully. He walks on the opposite side of the street from Devyn and Royce, who conceal themselves. He walks away and out of sight. Devyn exhales quietly. Royce walks out of the bushes and Devyn follows as they begin to walk down the street away from where the policeman just walked.

Devyn: They seem to be everywhere.

Royce: Because they are.

He looks uneasy and Devyn can see it.

Devyn: Was it like this the last time you were up here?

Royce: You tell me. You were on the surface more recently than I.

Devyn looks serious.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROAD

The flashback shows Devyn and Molly’s car getting hit.

CUT TO:

EXT. ROADSIDE

Devyn and Molly struggle against those trying to capture them.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREETS OF BELVIEW

Back in the present day Devyn exhales.

Devyn: Could be worse.

They walk off screen.

CUT TO:

EXT. COTTAGE

Devyn and Royce walk up to the cottage. Devyn looks doubtful.

Devyn: This...is where Liliana lives?

Royce glances at him as they approach the door.

Royce: She hasn’t been found yet.

Devyn: No, of course but uh...I dunno I guess I was expecting something a little, uh, grander?

Royce: Hopefully Amethyst expect the same.

Devyn c0cks his head as he realises Royce has a point. Royce knocks on the door.

Devyn: Are we using a password here?

Royce: No need. The security here is adequate.

Devyn looks curious as to what to expect. The door opens slowly. A woman in her 60s peers through the gap in the door. Devyn looks surprised.

Devyn: Security huh?

Her eyes widen as she sees Royce.

Old woman: Good God! Royce!

She quickly takes the chain of its latch and opens the door fully. Royce smiles.

Royce: Kathleen.

Old woman: Come in, come in!

They oblige.

CUT TO:

INT. COTTAGE HALLWAY

The cottage is decorated with traditional decor and looks very homely. Kathleen walks onwards and Royce and Devyn follow. Devyn looks around him as he does.

Kathleen opens the door to the cupboard under the stairs. Devyn looks confused as she struggles with a box.

Kathleen: Oh, will you two help me with this please?

Royce looks at Devyn and the two of them help her move the box revealing a trap door. Kathleen exhales looking satisfied and then opens the trap door. Devyn looks surprised.

Devyn: Security...

Kathleen smiles slightly and heads down a step-ladder. Devyn looks at Royce and they follow.

CUT TO:

INT. UNDERGROUND

Devyn steps off the ladder and follows Royce and Kathleen into what appears to be an underground cottage, furnished just like the one upstairs, only lit with artificial light. Devyn smiles as he looks around.

Devyn: Haven for your home...you should market-

Fran, Greg and Alandra appear from one of the rooms. They all look pleasantly surprised. Alandra’s scars from her Amethyst experience have faded but are still visible. Devyn smiles in surprise as he sees Fran and Greg.[/i]

Devyn: Thought you guys were in Amethyst.

Fran: We were, but...well we thought the same about you.

Devyn’s smile fades a little. Liliana appears from where the others came. She looks greatly relieved and throws her arms around Royce. He clutches her in return.

Liliana: Oh...I thought you were taken like the rest.

Devyn’s face freezes as Liliana pulls back. Royce stares at her seriously.

Devyn: What?

Liliana looks at him and then Royce. The others look awkward.

Liliana: You haven’t come directly from Haven?

Royce: We did, hours ago. Grace disappeared earlier this evening; we came to you for-

Devyn: What the hell’s going on?

Devyn looks around as the others say nothing.

Alandra: Amethyst came.

Devyn and Royce look at her. She still has some of the scars from her time at Amethyst.

Alandra: They took Haven.

Devyn looks horrified. Royce stares at Liliana for some kind of explanation but there is none.

CUT TO:

INT. HAVEN DINING AREA

Men and women walk past, dressed in riot gear. Deirdre stands in the dining area, her arms folded. She looks around, curiously. A woman walks up to her.

Deirdre: Well?

Woman: We’ve managed to access all areas of the building...with one exception.

Deirdre frowns.

CUT TO:

INT. STAIRWAY, HAVEN

Several people are working on trying to get the door to the filing room open, with no success. The woman and Deidre walk down to the bottom of the stairway.

Woman: We’ve attempted to crack the code, but, it seems to be a lot more complex than any of the main algorithms. The door definitely isn’t opening without that code ma’am.

Deidre stares at the door.

Deirdre: Then we will have to get it. I’ll return, continue in the mean time.

She turns and walks up the stairs. The woman turns to the others and nods.

CUT TO:

INT. DARK ROOM

A light turns on, illuminating only the centre of the room, the sides are still in darkness. It is the same room that Alandra was tortured in, in Amethyst. Tied to the same chair is Juliet. Her neck is bound to the chair and she looks in discomfort as she breathes audibly. A figure walks out of the darkness: Neil. He looks down at Juliet and smiles.

Neil: Jules, Jules, Jules. You left me for so long; makes me kinda upset.

He mocks a sad expression. Juliet looks at him, seething.

Juliet: I’m sure enough people have sat in this chair to satisfy a mind as sick as yours.

Neil smiles and walks around her chair.

Neil: That’s true, many of whom you’ve probably met.

He stops as he is in front of her again. He narrows his brow, still smiling slightly.

Neil: And where do you get off calling me “sick” huh? Considering the kind of company you’ve been keeping down in that little Haven of yours?

Juliet: Oh, no - you really take it to another level.

Neil smiles.

Neil: Well it is why I’m so good. I mean why would Amethyst employ me if I didn’t get results?

Juliet shakes her head.

Juliet: All in the name of justice huh?

Neil leans closer to her, still smiling.

Neil: You know, what I’ve missed about you in particular Jules, is that you refuse to admit that maybe, just maybe, you’re a bad girl.

He leans back and walks over to the darkness. Juliet watches him.

Neil: You throw words like justice around like they mean something...when all that matters, really, is who’s tied up in the chair...

He turns around, holding a particularly nasty blade.

Neil: And who’s holding the sharpened knife.

He walks towards her. Juliet tries not to look afraid.

Neil: I only got one chance to take you down a few pegs before. But I’m sure those old wounds are still there. Let’s see if we can open ‘em again huh?

Juliet clenches her jaw, bracing herself. Neil quickly scratches the blade. We do not see it make contact. Juliet’s right hand clutches the arm of the chair as she cries out.

CUT TO:

INT. ROOM, OUT OF FOCUS

Juliet’s cry echoes as a blurred face looks down at the point of view shot. It is Grace.

Grace: Mark. Mark!

The camera shows a close up of Mark, his eyes opening slowly. He looks surprised as he sees Grace.

Grace: Finally.

Mark: (quietly) Grace?

Grace: Yeah, hi. I’d ask how you are but...

She holds up her hands. Mark pushes himself up and Grace helps him. He looks around. They are in a cell similar to the one which once held Fran and Greg, with a transparent door and opaque walls. However the light is darker.

Mark: This is Amethyst?

Grace looks serious and nods.

Grace: Yeah, in all its glory.

She looks concerned.

Grace: I take it... something big went down.

Mark still looks groggy as he sits up properly. He looks at the floor and nods.

Mark: They stormed us. Must have taken everyone.

Grace looks anxious as she stands, holding her hands around the back of her neck. Mark looks up at her and stands awkwardly.

Mark: You been down here since they took you?

Grace nods.

Grace: Woke up just like you. Listen did you see...I mean before it happened, did you see Dominic or-or Gael or any of the-

Mark: No.

He shakes his head. Grace nods slightly looking anxious.

Mark: I was with Elle...I dunno where she...

He looks around slightly but realises this is useless. Grace looks serious but then smiles slightly.

Grace: Gotta say; yours was the more enjoyable invasion experience.

Mark smiles.

Mark: Are you ok?

Grace sighs.

Grace: It’s been boring, but painless, other than the amount of time that drug takes to wear off. You should probably sit down. Floor isn’t... so bad.

Mark places his hand on the wall to steady himself. He looks at Grace, frowning.

Mark: They... didn’t torture you?

Grace shrugs.

Grace: No I guess I didn’t tick the right box in the luxury package.

Mark looks confused.

Mark: Then-then how did they get into Haven? The codes, the retinal scan, I mean, those systems can’t be cheated.

Grace looks confused also as she considers this.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #2

Gael is pacing against the transparent wall, examining it as he goes. Tegan is sat against the opposite wall, still looking faint from the drug. Gael turns and looks at the other walls with frustration.

Gael: God it’s like there’s not even a door here.

Tegan closes her eyes.

Tegan: I think that’s the effect they’re going for.

Gael looks at her. He walks over but looks unsteady.

Gael: I have...to try.

He wipes his hand over his face. Tegan looks grave and shakes her head.

Tegan: No; no you don’t Gael.

Gael looks at her. She looks weary.

Tegan: Who knows how far underground we are? How many armed guys there are between us and even the next floor?

Gael hesitates. He slows walks over to Tegan and sits beside her. There is a pause.

Gael: Looks like this answers my question.

Gael looks at her.

Gael: About how we’re gonna get to Grace.

Tegan looks away seriously.

Tegan: She could be miles away...if she’s even here. Who knows about the others-

Gael: We’re not dead yet...I don’t think they are either.

Tegan does not look at him. Gael exhales.

Gael: Besides... Devyn and Royce should have found Liliana by now-

Tegan: Or they’re here too.

Gael frowns.

Gael: You were the one who told me we were gonna get somewhere.

Tegan: And here we are.

Gael looks serious.

Gael: It’s not gonna end like this-

He is cut off as several figures appear beside the transparent wall. Gael stands, steadying himself by holding the wall. Tegan does the same. The door opens and the figure **** their guns in Tegan and Gael’s direction. Tegan’s eyes widen as she steps back. However they part slightly and another figure is pushed into the cell. Gael looks shocked as the new figure stares awkwardly. It is Jackie.

Thanks

ACT II

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM, UNDERGROUND COTTAGE

Liliana and Royce are sat at the table. Devyn and Alandra are stood.

Liliana: If there was anything I could have done to prevent this I...

Royce: I know. It’s all right.

He smiles slightly at her. Devyn looks less convinced. Liliana notices.

Liliana: Greg and Fran came to Alandra two days ago, and she brought them here. Two criminals were able to evade them; it appeared to me that this was a good reflection of their current status.

She exhales.

Liliana: Juliet’s departure has left me somewhat preoccupied-

Devyn: Let me guess, you haven’t found her either.

Liliana looks angry.

Liliana: She is not the only one who has disappeared. The others...

She trails off. Royce looks at her, frowning.

Devyn: Others?

Alandra looks grave.

Liliana: The ambassadors to Haven; they were all gone within half a month. All that is, except for Alandra.

Devyn and Royce look at her. She smiles slightly and raises a hand as if to wave.

Alandra: Not that I escaped the Amethyst five star experience as you may be able to tell by my face.

She smiles bitterly. Devyn looks sympathetic. Royce looks at Liliana.

Royce: Why didn’t you tell me about this?

Liliana: Because I didn’t see the use. You’ve had enough to deal with lately without that.

Devyn looks at her.

Devyn: Maybe we might have been able to prepare if we knew Amethyst were taking action on the surface.

Liliana looks resolved.

Liliana: I had no idea they had made such progress-

Devyn: You just told us you suspected they were trying to reactivate the conviction chips, don’t you think that we could have done with knowing that?

Kathleen OS: Now come on.

Kathleen walks on from the kitchen with a tray of mugs and a teapot. Everyone turns to her. She walks over to the table and places the tray down.

Kathleen: Blaming each other for this is ridiculous. Now I have tea, coffee too if anyone would prefer.

Liliana: Thank you. Are Fran and Greg-

Kathleen: Sleeping. Must be a relief for them to be able to do so in real beds for the first time since who knows when.

She looks around. Liliana smiles at Kathleen’s attitude but Devyn looks like he hasn’t finished. Kathleen looks at him.

Kathleen: You came as soon as you could after you heard about Grace, which we couldn’t have foreseen. And Liliana did everything in her power to thwart Amethyst before now, but they are simply too good to contend with when they want something.

She glances at Liliana.

Kathleen: Of course...we can also be formidable when we want something back.

Devyn looks at her.

Devyn: You think it’s as easy as that?

Kathleen: No young man, I don’t think it is easy. But I do think it is possible considering who is sitting in this room.

Devyn looks unconvinced.

Alandra: Look boys, if Fran, Greg and I can break out of Amethyst; we can break in. Besides, Liliana has been planning this for a while.

Royce and Devyn look at Liliana expectantly. Liliana looks awkward as she takes a mug and sips it.

Liliana: In case of a worst case scenario...The Board and I devised a strategy we might take if an infiltration of Amethyst was seen as necessary. Unfortunately contacting them with things as they are is a risk I am not willing to take.

Kathleen: We don’t need them.

Royce: What are you suggesting Liliana?

She places the mug down.

Liliana: I am authorised to enact the plan in a situation like this.

Devyn: Yeah, well, counting Fran and Greg there are six of us.

Kathleen: Seven.

Devyn looks at her.

Kathleen: I may look frail to you, but believe me I am capable.

She smiles. Devyn nods, not wanting to argue.

Liliana: Kathleen, you’ve done enough.

Kathleen: I’ll be the judge of that. Don’t concern yourself with me.

She smiles kindly. Liliana smiles back awkwardly. Devyn looks at her.

Devyn: Seven’s not exactly gonna improve our chances.

Liliana hesitates.

Liliana: We have more than seven.

Royce looks at her surprised.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #2, AMETHYST

Gael and Tegan stare at Jackie. She looks at them nervously and steps back. Tegan narrows her eyes and suddenly looks surprised.

Tegan: Oh my God are you...Jackie Stevens.

Jackie says nothing and her eyes dart around the room. Gael looks surprised and frowns.

Gael: It is isn’t it...

Jackie stares at him, fearfully. He steps towards her.

Gael: So you’re behind all this, eh?

He looks confrontational. Jackie opens her mouth in surprise.

Jackie: Are you...from Haven!?

Tegan looks confused.

Tegan: You know we are.

Jackie looks shocked and can’t help but smiling slightly. Gael and Tegan look unimpressed. Jackie’s smile fades but her shock does not.

Jackie: I knew something was happening but I never thought that...

She trails off because of Gael and Tegan’s looks.

Jackie: How many of you are there?

Gael smiles in surprise, his brow still narrowed.

Gael: You tell us. We were a little too unconscious to see the full show.

Jackie looks awkward.

Jackie: I...am not responsible for your capture. As much as I would have liked to have been.

Gael and Tegan look both surprised and angry. Jackie looks wary of them.

Tegan: So, what, you’ve been fired?

She looks unconvinced. Jackie looks serious.

Jackie: More than fired.

She catches herself and turns away, holding her elbows tightly. Tegan sighs and looks at Gael.

Tegan: This is obviously some way to screw with us. Put the main lady in the cell and see what happens!

She rolls her eyes and turns around. Gael however continues to stare at Jackie who looks at them angrily.

Jackie: I am not lying to you. I wish I was. You think I want to be here with you people? God knows what you’ve done.

Gael: I used to deal drugs and she used to be a thief.

He c0cks his head in Tegan’s direction. She glances vaguely at Jackie before looking away. Jackie says nothing.

Gael: The real question is... what have you done, Jackie? If you really are telling the truth, what did you do that was so terrible that Amethyst had to lock you up with the big bad criminals...unless of course you, too, are one of us “people”.

Jackie looks angry.

Jackie: Amethyst doesn’t discriminate between crimes. They judge everything as... unforgivable.

Tegan stares at her.

Tegan: You talk like you weren’t their leader-

Jackie: Oh I’ve never been anything close to their “leader”.

Tegan: But you were leading them to us. Right? This is your happy day.

She looks challengingly at Jackie.

Jackie: Throwing me in a cell like I am nothing...somewhat damages our relationship.

She looks like she has already said too much and turns away. Gael watches her.

Gael: What happens to us; and you? They keeping us here forever?

Jackie looks at him seriously.

Jackie: We will be...rehabilitated.

Tegan and Gael both look unnerved by the way Jackie says this.

CUT TO:

INT. HALLWAY, UNDERGOUND COTTAGE

Devyn appears and looks at the trap door ahead of him. He looks hesitant and then walks forwards.

Voice OS: Thinking of going up there?

He turns and looks to see Alandra near him. She shakes her head smiling kindly.

Alandra: You can stop right there.

Devyn frowns.

Devyn: Sorry, who are you again?

Alandra: I’m one of the people who’s been saving your life every day you’ve been in Haven. The last one alive, by the look of things.

She walks towards the step ladder.

Alandra: I know how tempting it might be to look out of a window and pretend for a moment that you’re not living this life.

She turns round to look at him.

Alandra: That’s one privilege you and I have given up. So do us all a favour and stay in the dark.

Devyn looks serious. Alandra sighs.

Alandra: Least you won’t be alone, especially when we bust out your friends.

She smiles more kindly. Devyn looks unconvinced.

Devyn: Haven is gone. Even if we can save the others, where will we go? Here?

He laughs at the futility of the situation. Alandra shrugs.

Alandra: I dunno. Kinda comfy though don’t ya think?

She smiles slightly.

Alandra: Your girl Juliet-

Devyn: She’s not my girl. Look, I don’t need you to tell me that she can take care of herself. Cause you have no way of knowing if she’s even alive.

Alandra frowns.

Alandra: Well you better prepare yourself; ‘cause tomorrow you’re gonna find out.

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION CELL

Juliet’s face is cut and blood is smeared across her cheek. She breathes heavily through her pain. Neil is sat across from her.

Neil: You know what’s overrated?

Juliet glares at him.

Neil: Removing body parts.

He sighs.

Neil: I mean we’re having fun without any of that, aren’t we?

Juliet coughs slightly.

Juliet: I dunno Neil; you seem to have lost your edge.

She narrows her eyes. Neil’s smile fades.

Neil: I have to admit; torturing you for information, rather than just for the hell for it...pros and cons.

He walks towards her.

Neil: I could always see what happens if you lose something a little more substantial.

He takes some pliers from his pocket. Juliet tries not to react as he lowers them towards her hand. She flinches as he places them around her little finger. He smiles sadistically. Suddenly a door opens. Neil and Juliet both turn to see Deirdre walk in. Neil moves the pliers away and Juliet breathes a sigh of relief. Deirdre stares at Juliet and then looks at Neil.

Deirdre: Neil, a word.

She glances at Juliet again as he walks over. They talk quietly as Juliet can be seen in the far background, out of focus.

Deirdre: I assume by the fact you are still working that you haven’t learned anything.

Neil: What can I say, she’s a fortress.

Deirdre looks annoyed.

Deirdre: Dammit Neil she is just like every other criminal who has cracked in that chair!

Neil shrugs.

Neil: Well I was gonna get a little more drastic...

Deirdre hesitates.

Deirdre: No. She’ll go through twice as much pain as this before she says anything and we’ll be going public with the capture of Haven within hours. The public needs answers, we don’t have the time.

She looks frustrated. Neil looks thoughtful.

Neil: Might I suggest...a different approach?

Deirdre looks interested. They go out of focus as Juliet comes into focus. There is a close up of her hand tied to the chair in the foreground. She slowly moves her thumb; millimetre by millimetre it appears to be dislocating...but also squeezing through the gap. Juliet closes her eyes as she continues her silent work.

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM, UNDERGROUND COTTAGE

Liliana and Royce are sat on the edge of a double bed. Royce looks at her.

Royce: No matter what Devyn says; he wouldn’t be here if he didn’t have faith in you-

Liliana: It’s not faith that worries me.

She looks at him.

Liliana: There is a very strong chance that this will work just as The Board have designed. I know I shouldn’t...but I keep asking myself: am I really prepared to kill so many people, innocent or not...for these few?

Royce looks serious but places a hand on her arm.

Royce: That is what war is...life for life. You knew it would come to this. Everyone who works for Amethyst has made their choice; so have we.

Liliana looks unhappy.

Liliana: So much life though, because of me I...I don’t know that I can live with that.

Royce nods.

Royce: Think of what they are doing to Tegan and to Gael and perhaps to Juliet.

Liliana glances at him.

Royce: Think of what they will do if we don’t stop this. What kind of mercy would we receive if they had the chance to cripple us?

Liliana closes her eyes. Royce kisses her forehead.

Royce: It’s late. We should sleep.

Liliana nods vaguely. Royce gets up. Liliana is left to her own doubts.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #3

Aura is sat with her arms wrapped around her knees. She looks upset. Dominic appears behind her and puts his hand on her shoulder hesitantly. She flinches and shrugs him off. Dominic frowns.

Dominic: You shouldn’t look at him.

Aura looks at him.

Aura: You suddenly all together and tryin’ to comfort me.

Dominic says nothing. Sam watches them from nearby looking awkward. Aura glances at him and then across the room as she did before. The camera pans away from her.

Aura: He was the one. The one who showed me and Mark the way to Haven.

A body comes into view several metres away. It is Jethro.

The close up of Aura returns. She closes her eyes.

Aura: They just left him down here...

She looks sickened. Dominic looks over at the body. One of Jethro’s hands has been removed from his wrist. One of his eyes is missing. Dominic looks away too. He gets up and looks at the transparent wall where the door should be. He looks around, frustrated. He slams his fists against the wall.

Dominic: (shouting) Grace!

Aura jumps slightly. Sam watches Dominic seriously. There is no answer.

Dominic: (shouting) Grace! Grace!

Sam: I don’t think she can hear you man.

Dominic looks at him angrily.

Dominic: You have a better idea?

Sam shrugs.

Sam: Any chance we got of escaping; it ain’t gonna happen till they open that door. Why don’t you save your energy?

Dominic looks desperate. Suddenly the sound of the door opening is heard. Dominic looks surprised and steps back. Aura and Sam both get up. The armed guards suddenly grab Dominic. Aura looks angry.

Aura: Hey!

One of the guards points a long gun at her.

Guard: Stay the hell back.

Aura narrows her eyes.

Aura: If Amethyst wanted us dead we would be already, you ain’t gonna shoot me-

Guard: Accidents happen.

Aura hesitates as the guard still points the gun at her. Behind, the other guards handcuff Dominic. Sam watches helplessly. The guard with the gun backs away, following the others. Dominic and Aura maintain eye contact until he is forced around the corner. The guard with the gun shuts the door behind. Aura hurries to door and watches fearfully.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #4

“Let There Be Morning” by the The Perishers begins to play. All that can be heard is the song. Bethany sits with Teya, Riley and Amy. Teya is crying. Bethany can be seen trying to soothe her, her arm wrapped around her. Bethany looks at Amy and smiles kindly but as she looks away her eyes are far from calm.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #1

Grace and Mark appear to be talking as they sit. Suddenly the door opens and figures rush in and grab Mark. Grace looks alarmed and tries to stop them but she is pushed back against the wall. She hits the wall fairly hard and as she recovers from the impact she turns to see him being taken. She calls his name but it is no use. She is alone.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #3

Jackie sits against the wall in silence.

‘Now the end is drawing near’

In the background Gael and Tegan come into focus sat far across from her. They both look weary but cannot relax due to her presence.

‘I can't believe it's finally here’

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

Juliet is sat in her chair, still concentrating on loosening her thumb, pain evident in her face. She looks up at the door.

‘Take some time to pray for me
    For what will be’

CUT TO:

EXT. KATHLEEN’S COTTAGE

The sunrise bathes the neighbourhood.

‘Let the sun rise
    Let the birds sing’

CUT TO:

INT. KATHLEEN’S LIVING ROOM

Kathleen watches the sunrise, not taking her own advice to rest. She has an anxious look on her face.

‘Let there be light
    Let there be morning’

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM, UNDERGROUND COTTAGE

Royce and Liliana lie together asleep.

‘I don't know how
    I made it 'til now’

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM #2, UNDERGROUND COTTAGE

Devyn lies in the bed. He stares upwards, worry and fear plaguing his mind. He slowly closes his eyes.

‘Let there be light
    Let there be morning
    Let there be morning’

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

The music fades. Deirdre and Neil walk through the open door followed by several armed men and Dominic, Mark and Erica. Each of them is handcuffed. Juliet’s face to turns to horror as they are presented in front of her. Neil leans against the wall with his arms folded. Deirdre raises an eyebrow at Juliet.

Deirdre: Well Juliet; you may try to be a martyr for your... people. Will you allow them to be martyrs for you?

Juliet glares at her. Dominic stares at Juliet in horror. Tears run down Erica’s face. Deirdre looks at Neil and nods. Neil narrows his eyes at Juliet and walks over to the tray filled with bloody torture implements. He picks up a razor. Erica gasps and struggles but the men are far stronger. Juliet looks at a loss as Neil begins to walk over to the victims.

Thanks

ACT III

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION CELL

Neil walks up and down the line of Dominic, Mark and Erica.

Neil: Now, who to start with.

Neil turns back to Juliet. She says nothing. As he looks away again her thumb moves through her restraints very slowly. Deirdre looks irritated.

Deirdre: Get on with it Neil.

He looks at her, frustrated that he has to hurry. He sighs and lifts up the razor in front of Mark.

Neil: Hold his arm.

The men oblige. Mark looks scared. Neil prepares to swing down the razor on Mark’s arm. Mark closes his eyes. Juliet’s thumb stops.

Juliet: Stop.

Neil turns backs. Deirdre looks anticipative. Juliet breathes audibly.

Juliet: D M R D S D D F J D K... M. That’s the code you need for the file room and the computer.

Deirdre walks forwards. Neil looks disappointed and glares at Mark. Juliet stares up at Deirdre.

Deirdre: If you are lying-

Juliet: You’ll be back, I’m sure.

Deirdre leans back and narrows her eyes. She turns to the men holding the others.

Deirdre: Bring them back to the cells. Except the woman. You two bring her with me.

Erica looks scared. Juliet looks angry.

Juliet: Why?

Deirdre glances at her as she walks out.

Deirdre: None of your concern.

She walks away and the guards take Erica and the others. Dominic looks at Juliet as he is forced to follow. Juliet stares at them emptily. She closes her eyes. She and Neil are alone in the room. Neil smiles.

Neil: Guess this means we can carry on where we left off.

Juliet glares at him darkly. He approaches her once again.

CUT TO:

Liliana is stood. Kathleen, Devyn, Alandra, Royce, Fran and Greg are sat before her. Royce watches Liliana and smiles supportively. Liliana smiles back weakly and exhales.

Liliana: This is not an easy day.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST HQ LOBBY

The camera shows a pair of female legs dressed in smart trousers and high heels. The camera moves up to show it is Kathleen. She looks calm but resolute in one of the queues for a metal detector. As the queue moves forward, she takes something from her bag and sticks it underneath the counter.

Liliana VO: Each of you will count, both in getting in to Amethyst...and more importantly getting out.

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM, UNDEGROUND COTTAGE

Liliana: I’ve had to ask myself and so I have to ask each of you if you can go through with it, all the way; knowing what you will be a part of.

The others glance at one another. Fran and Greg glance at one another.

CUT TO:

EXT. INNER CITY BELVIEW

Amethyst looms in the background. A woman sits at a cafe across the street. It is Fran, dressed in similarly smart attire and sunglasses. She speaks into the phone.

Fran: She’s in.

She glances forwards. Greg sat with his back to her, wearing a suit and sunglasses also. He appears to be listening to Fran.

CUT TO:

Fran: It’s T. She’d do it for us.

Greg nods too. Liliana looks at Devyn.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR, INNER CITY BELVIEW

Devyn sits in the driver’s seat. Alandra is sat in the passenger seat on the phone. She turns to Devyn and nods.

CUT TO:

Devyn: Of course.

Liliana smiles. Alandra nods at her silently. Kathleen smiles awkwardly.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST LOBBY

Kathleen is about to go through the metal detector. She is about to put her bag down when she hesitates. She smiles at the guard.

Kathleen: I’m so sorry; I’ve forgotten something in my car.

The guard looks annoyed but nods. The people queuing behind her look irritated as well as she makes her way past. She smiles apologetically as she makes her way past. She glances down at the counter knowing what is underneath. She closes her eyes looking troubled as she hurries out.

CUT TO:

Liliana nods at the group.

CUT TO:

EXT. INNER CITY BELIEW

In the background Kathleen can be seen leaving. Greg speaks into a phone.

Greg: She’s out.

Liliana VO: You all know the plan.

CUT TO:

Liliana is sat in the driver’s seat watching the cafe where Fran and Greg are sat, about fifty metres away. She looks scared. Royce is sat next to her. He takes her hand.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ

Kathleen makes her way down the steps hurriedly. A security guard follows her.

Guard: Ma’am, one moment please.

Kathleen does not stop. The guard follows, frowning.

Guard: Ma’am!

CUT TO:

EXT. INNER CITY BELVIEW

Fran watches and looks concerned as she sees the guard. She looks at Greg.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST HQ

Neil plays with the razor in his hand. He caresses Juliet’s cheek with it. Juliet shakes his off looking furious.

Neil: Careful now Jules; don’t want an accident.

CUT TO:

Liliana stares forwards. Royce watches her and then looks down. The camera moves down his arm to their hands, interlinked. In Liliana’s hand is a phone.

Liliana VO: Let’s go.

Royce’s index finger presses the call button.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST LOBBY

Underneath the counter is another phone, stuck where Kathleen placed it, on a slab of metal and wires. It explodes.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ

The entire lobby section is engulfed in the explosion. “Painted By Numbers” by The Sounds begins. Behind Kathleen the security guard is propelled down the steps as the explosion is seen in the background. Kathleen falls to the ground herself and looks back in alarm.

CUT TO:

EXT. INNER CITY BELVIEW

People scream and start to run in panic as Fran and Greg stand quickly.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #2

Tegan sits up with a start. Gael and Jackie are looking upwards, the echo of the explosion still present.

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION CELL

The song bursts into life. Neil looks up as he hears the blast. Juliet does but takes her moment. She pulls her hand free from the restraint and punches Neil as hard as she can. He flies backwards into the tray of instruments and cries out in pain as he falls back on it card. His implements scatter on the ground. Juliet looks in pain but quickly releases her neck and works to release her other wrist. Neil recovers and pushes himself up as Juliet frantically tries to release her ankles from the restraints. However Neil is quicker and grabs her neck and her arm, beginning to choke her. Juliet struggles to breathe.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

The lyrics of the song begin. Dominic and Mark and the men escorting them all hesitate as they hear the explosion. Dominic takes the opportunity and elbows the man who threatened Aura in the face. The others raise their guns but Mark grabs one and shoots the bullets at the floor. Dominic wrestles with the man as the gun fires.

‘Could I act like you, and put a smile on my face
    Not even for a second, would I lie to myself’

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ

Smoke rises through the air as people run, panicked. Royce and Liliana help Kathleen up and she nods in thanks. Fran, Greg, Devyn and Alandra are with them and each of them are holding a gun.

‘Too many things are missing, and there's a tear in my eye’

Liliana looks at Royce and he leads the way around the ruins of the lobby in another direction. The group head up the steps, the building in flames before them.

‘It's not a question or an answer, but it will change your mind’

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

Neil puts all of his strength into choking Juliet but she manages to grab his own throat with her free hand. His foot comes loose from the restraint which she had already been working on and she kicks him in the stomach. He hits the ground hard.

‘We'll be the same tomorrow
    'Cause we all been painted by numbers’

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ

Royce leads the group to a side door and smacks his gun in the face of a guard there. He shoots the door handle.

‘We're dancin' as we borrow
    You said it was love
    I said I'd like you to be mine’

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST HQ CORRIDOR

Royce heads down quickly, followed by the others.

‘na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na’

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST HQ CORRIDOR

Deirdre loads a gun and starts walking down the corridor with a determined look on her face.

‘I couldn't act like you, but I can love like you do’

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST HQ CORRIDOR FORK

Royce and co. continue. A guard from the corridor forking off from the main one shoots at the group. Devyn and Fran duck as the bullets hit the wall. Alandra raises her gun and shoots the guard in the chest.

‘Between us there is something, I can't explain it to you’

The group start to run.

CUT TO:

INT. STAIRWELL

Royce appears down the stairwell. He shoots at a door frame and the door swings harmlessly open. An alarm flashes around them.

CUT TO:

INT. SECURITY CHECKPOINT

The group enter but armed guards start to fire. The group duck behind the counter and all begin to shoot back when possible.

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

Juliet releases the last restraint around her other ankle and stands.

‘We're dancin' as we borrow’

CUT TO:

INT. SECURITY CHECKPOINT

Royce jumps over the counter and punches one of the gunmen in the face twice.

‘You said it was love’

He and Devyn take the guy up to a handprint reader which starts to work. Alandra and the others watch their backs, alert.

‘I got what I need to get by’

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Dominic and Mark run with their hands still cuffed. Dominic peers around a corner but bullets fly, missing him by inches. He moves back and shakes his head at Mark as they begin to run back the way they came.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Fran elbows a guard in the face. Another raises a gun and hits Alandra in the shoulder. Devyn shoots him and looks worried.

‘We're dancin' as we borrow
    You said it was love
    I said I'd like you to be mine’

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION CELL

The piano instrumental plays. Juliet and Neil struggle against one another. Neil takes a knife and stabs Juliet in the stomach. She gasps in pain. He is about to stab her again but she forces him over and turns the knife the other way. The two stare at one another as Juliet pushes the blade towards his chest. She stabs it down. Neil gasps. Juliet clutches her wound as she gets up and away from him.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Dominic and Mark run down the corridor. Behind them shots are fired barely missing them both.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Juliet turns the corner of the corridor and then half falls to the ground, clearly in pain around the bodies of guards. She leans her head against the wall, breathing heavily as she looks around. The song begins to fade.

Juliet looks at the bodies in confusion. She turns her head as footsteps are heard. Devyn turns the corner. He freezes as he sees her. She stares back at him; despite her weariness she smiles, tears in her eyes. Devyn walks towards her and then starts to run. Juliet’s eyebrows rise as he comes close.

Juliet opens her eyes. She turns and looks down the corridor. Devyn is not there and she is alone. Juliet turns her head back and stares forwards. There is blood between her fingers. She breathes heavily. In the background, gunfire is heard.

Thanks

ACT IV

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ – AERIAL VIEW

A helicopter flies overhead as emergency vehicles surround the building which is still on fire from the explosion.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMETHYST HQ – GROUND LEVEL

Firemen run past the ruins of Amethyst’s lobby. A reporter stands in front of a news camera.

Reporter: ...has admitted that it may not be a coincidence that this attack occurred the day after the residents of the criminal sanctuary known as “Haven” were-

She goes out of view as the camera continues moving forward.

Reporter OS: -arrested by the CEO of Amethyst’s Belview office, Deirdre Kyre...

She goes out of audible range as sirens sound. A man is carried towards an ambulance on a stretcher and several armed guards run forwards. The camera moves past a young woman on a phone dressed in business attire. She looks visibly upset. The camera moves towards her and the wreckage.

Woman: (to phone) I-I dunno, they’re saying the building might collapse I... no, I haven’t seen anyone, I’m going up to the hospital soon but I don’t know-

A fireman comes into.

Fireman: Ma’am you need to move away from here it isn’t safe-

Woman: Oh, oh I see, ok-

He escorts her off-screen as the camera moves into the burning wreckage and down into black.

MOVE DOWN TO:

INT. CELL #2

Tegan, Gael and Jackie stand around. Gael is examining the transparent wall. Tegan looks upwards.

Tegan: We’re missing something big.

Jackie looks serious.

Jackie: That explosion; for us to hear that all the way down here? That is something you will likely be grateful to have missed.

Tegan looks at her frowning.

Tegan: You realise that our, and therefore your only way out of here is if we’re rescued?

Jackie: By people who blow up buildings, yes I’m filled with confidence-

Gael: Shut up.

Jackie turns to him. He is listening.

Gael: I hear footsteps.

Jackie walks up to the wall also and listens. Tegan looks anxious. The footsteps get louder. A figure comes into view: Leo. Jackie smiles as she recognises him. He also begins to smile but then notices Gael and Tegan and looks serious. He presses something on the wall outside the cell and the door opens. Gael and Tegan step forward but he points the gun at them.

Leo: Both of you, get back!

He looks serious and they oblige slowly, glancing at Jackie.

Jackie: Leo what are you doing here?

Leo: Getting you out, haven’t you noticed?

Jackie looks glad. Leo smiles for a second but then frowns at Tegan and Gael.

Leo: Back I said!

Tegan: Ok, ok, we’re practically against the wall.

Gael: You gonna introduce us?

Jackie glances at them awkwardly.

Jackie: This is Leo, he worked for me.

Leo: I still work for you.

Jackie smiles slightly. There is rumbling from above. Jackie looks upwards, troubled, and then at Leo.

Jackie: What’s happening up there?

Leo: Big, big explosion, the lobby is history. Surprised you didn’t hear it.

Gael: We did.

Leo ****s the gun.

Leo: I wasn’t talking to you ok?

Gael rolls his eyes. Jackie looks awkward.

Jackie: Are there many guards around?

Leo: A few, they’ll probably be more soon. Seems whoever blew up the lobby is in the building.

Tegan and Gael look interested.

Tegan: Did you see who they were?

Leo: Even if I had, why do you think I would tell you?

Tegan looks angry and steps forward.

Tegan: Listen, MacGyver junior, your boss here? Is kinda under arrest like us. You will be helping a fugitive escape and somehow I don’t think the rest of Amethyst are gonna just let you walk out the door. You are gonna have one hell of a fight on your hands and you’re gonna need everyone you got on your side.

Leo looks hesitant and glances at Jackie. There is more rumbling from above.

CUT TO:

INT. CORRIDOR IN AMETHYST

Royce and the others hear the distant rumbling and look concerned.

Alandra: If we’re gonna do this it’s gonna have to be now.

Liliana looks at Royce.

Liliana: How far are we from the cells?

Royce looks troubled.

Liliana: Royce!

He looks at her.

Royce: They’re a floor down. You’ll find the way. I have something to do.

He begins to run, gun in hand. The others look confused.

Devyn: Where the hell are you going?

Liliana looks confused. Royce disappears round a corner. There is a crash from above. Liliana glances up and then down the corridor where Royce went. She turns to Devyn.

Liliana: Get to the others and then get out of here, there will be a van waiting for you all on St. James Road.

She begins to follow Royce hurriedly.

Devyn: Liliana, wait!

He looks in disbelief. Kathleen pulls his arm.

Kathleen: You heard her, come on, quickly!

She turns down another corridor. Fran and Greg follow, beginning to pick up speed. Alandra gives Devyn a look as if to say “what are you waiting for?” and follows. Devyn reluctantly does the same.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #2

Gael looks worried as the sounds from above grow louder.

Jackie: She’s right, Leo.

Leo frowns.

Leo: They...they’re part of Haven, Jackie-

Jackie: I know that.

Leo looks confused.

Leo: You have spent ten months trying to find these people and bring them here, you are not seriously gonna let them go?

Jackie looks hesitant.

Jackie: This isn’t my victory-

There is suddenly a crash from above. Leo looks up.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL CORRIDOR

From where Leo is standing the camera zooms down the corridor past other cells where other captives are stood at the transparent door looking up. The camera stops on Grace in her cell. She too looks upwards worriedly. The rumbling continues.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Dominic and Mark hurry down. Mark looks upwards.

Mark: This does not sound good.

Dominic: I’m aware of that.

He stops and looks around.

Dominic: Does this look familiar to you?

Mark: Don’t look at me, it all looks the same.

Dominic: I think we were brought this way; we’re near the cells I think...

Mark: You think?

There is a crash above.

Mark: You wanna remember fast?

Dominic looks frustrated and runs on. Mark follows.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #2

Everyone is looking up.

Gael: The lobby wouldn’t be directly above us by any chance?

Jackie looks concerned.

Jackie: More or less. Leo...

She looks at him as he still points the gun at Tegan and Gael. Tegan looks exasperated.

Tegan: We don’t have time for your dilemma, are you gonna shoot us or what!?

Leo is about to speak but suddenly there is a crash from very near above. Above them, the ceiling starts to buckle and crack. Tegan’s eyes widen.

Tegan: Hold that thought!

She rushes past Leo followed by Gael as the ceiling of the cell behind them collapses. Jackie and Leo back away in shock and follow them.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL CORRIDOR

Dominic and Mark enter through a door and look worried as they see the destruction that is about to occur. In the distance they see Tegan, Gael, Jackie and Leo running in the opposite direction. Dominic looks relieved despite the situation.

Dominic: Tegan! Gael!

[i]Tegan turns and tries to make them out when debris falls, blocking her view. Next to her she hears someone banging on the cell door. It is Bethany. Tegan gasps with relief and surprise as she sees her and the children.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL #1

Grace looks worried as the transparent door begins to crack. She hesitates and then pushes against the door with all her strength. More cracks appear. She pushes harder still. The door breaks into several pieces and Grace falls through. Above her a crack appears along the ceiling, a pillar of concrete smashes through next to her. A hand suddenly pulls her up. It is Dominic. He and Grace look hugely relieved to see one another but Dominic pulls Grace away from the oncoming devastation. Ahead of them Mark is trying to break open Aura and Sam’s cell with no success. Sam and Aura watch in fear, still trapped.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL CORRIDOR

Tegan turns to Jackie hurriedly.

Tegan: We need to open the cells!

Jackie hesitates. Two cells along a man is smashing at the transparent door trying to escape when the ceiling collapses upon him. Jackie turns away from his silent scream and then runs up to the keypad next to Bethany’s cell and enters a code. Leo looks troubled.

Leo: Jackie you can’t just-

Suddenly another pillar of concrete blasts through the ceiling and crashes onto Leo. The others looks horrified as the door to Bethany and the children’s cell opens, as well as the other cells around them. Criminals start to run for their lives.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL CORRIDOR

Aura and Sam’s cell opens. They rush out in relief and begin to run. Debris falls hitting Grace and she holds her head in pain, but Dominic helps her along as they continue to run with the others.

CUT TO:

INT. CELL CORRIDOR

Bethany rushes out holding Teya in her arms. More debris begins to fall. Gael picks up Riley and Tegan grabs Amy’s hand. Gael grabs Jackie’s arm urgently.

Gael: We need to go.

Jackie stares back at Leo’s body as she begins to run with the others.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST STAIRWELL

Aura, Sam, Mark, Dominic and Grace run onwards, along with other criminals, up a flight of stairs. Crashes are heard above them and Sam looks up the space in between the stairwell. His eyes widen as he sees the floors crashing down on themselves above them.

Sam: Get through the door. Run!

Mark and Aura turn and open the door. Everyone begins running through.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Dominic’s group runs towards the camera as the building continues to collapse behind them.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Tegan, Jackie, Gael, Bethany accompanied by the children turn a corner, other escapees running around them trying to get away from the destruction.

CUT TO:

INT. AMETHYST CORRIDOR

Devyn, Alandra, Fran, Greg and Kathleen run out into the corridor. As they do Dominic’s group comes from the left and Tegan’s from the right. The three groups look relieved to see one another, as Devyn and Tegan step towards one another and Gael sees Grace. However Alandra, Fran and Greg notice Jackie. Greg steps towards her threateningly.

Greg: What the hell is she doing here?

The others turn to Jackie, almost everyone she pursued. Jackie steps back but her eyes widen. She moves and pushes Tegan and Teya out of the way of the middle of the corridor. Devyn has a split second to see a group of armed men approaching from where Devyn’s group just came. They shoot. The bullets that would have hit Tegan travel onwards.

“A Good Start” by Maria Taylor begins to play. The scene is in semi slow-motion and all that can be heard is the song.

A bullet hits Greg in the chest as Fran raises her gun and shoots at the men. She turns back in horror still shooting as Greg falls back, a look of confusion. Tegan looks away in horror, clutching Teya to her chest. One of the men falls. Alandra and Devyn shoot as well. Behind them the others, unarmed, try to get out of the way.

‘You're one with the burden of intuition
    You're one with the freedom of a blank stare’

Aura is hit by a bullet. She gasps and falls back. Mark reaches out in shock as she hits the ground. Another man falls.

‘You're one with the best friend you lost
    You wish was still there’

A bullet hits Alandra in the arm and forces her to drop her gun as Devyn shoots and the last man falls. As he does so, the last man shoots once more.

‘You're one with the dust on that old piano
    You're one with the strings on your new guitar
    You're one with the wind through the open window’

A bullet hits the wall.

‘You are’

The group crowd around the wounded. Fran has tears in her eyes as she looks down at Greg’s lifeless body.

‘It was a faint line that brought you here
    And a pulse that kept you in time’

Aura looks up at Mark sadly as she tries to speak. Her hand on his arm falls limp. Dominic looks over his shoulder gravely.

‘It was the comfort of a tradition
    But the fear that were not that kind’

Tegan looks surprised at Jackie who looks back seriously. Devyn looks at the fallen seriously. The ceiling suddenly rumbles, dust falling from it. Devyn’s eyes widen. He looks at the others and beckons to them to follow him.

‘It's a shame now, baby, you can't see yourself
    And everything you're running from
    And it's the same world, honey, that has brought you down
    As the one that's gonna pick you up
    And pick you up’

Fran shrugs off Kathleen’s hand as she tries to help her up. Alandra then intervenes and pulls her away from Greg’s body.

Mark tries to pick Aura up but Sam stops him, shaking his head. Mark looks angry but Dominic pulls him away from Aura.

‘It was a long, dark, sleepy morning walk.
    You fell down, case and point.’

Devyn begins to run.

‘It was a good start’

Tegan follows with Teya in her arms.

‘It was a good start’

Alandra follows and Kathleen helps to pull her away from Greg’s body.

‘It was a long, dark, sleepy morning walk.
    You fell down, case and point.’

Dominic helps Sam pull Mark away from Aura’s body. He looks desperate to stay with her but the others know he cannot.

‘It was a good start
    It was a good start’

Gael and Grace start to run too, Grace still clutching her wounded forehead and Gael with Riley.

‘It's a shame now, baby, you can't see yourself, And everything you're running from.’

Bethany runs with Amy, hand-in-hand.

‘And it's the same world, honey, that has brought You down,
    As the one that's gonna pick you up.’

Dominic and Sam run with Mark

‘And it's a shame now, baby, you can't separate
    Yourself from where you stood.’

Jackie runs behind the others, making her way into the unknown.

‘And it's the same world, honey, that made you feel so bad,
    That makes you feel so good.
    Feel so good.’

The song trails off as...

CUT TO:

INT. ROOM IN AMETHYST

In the distance the collapse can be heard. Royce appears in the room, his gun raised. The room appears to be an infirmary of some kind. Royce lowers his gun slightly, frowning, as he walks up to a bed. Elle is lying in the bed, her bullet wound treated professionally. She appears unconscious. Off screen a gun clicks. Royce turns quickly to see Deirdre holding a gun at Juliet. Juliet breathes heavily, her knife wound from Neil now bandaged. Both she and Deirdre glance at Royce as he steps forward, still pointing his gun at Deirdre. Deirdre looks surprised and smiles unkindly.

Deirdre: Royce Appleby...I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised to find that you too are involved in all of this.

Juliet glances at her. Royce gives her a deadly look.

Deirdre: You’ve come here to save her?

Royce: No. I’ve come to do what I should have done five years ago. If I can’t kill the one who killed my family; you will do.

Deirdre glances at Juliet, smiling darkly. Juliet, unknowing, glares back. Deirdre looks at Royce.

Deirdre: I’m sure this would all be very righteous if you were not responsible for the deaths of who knows how many.

She looks angry.

Deirdre: I didn’t think you were capable of something so ruthless, Royce. Not like Juliet.

Juliet says nothing. Royce glances from Juliet to Deirdre, confused.

Royce: How do you know...?

Deirdre narrows her brow and laughs slightly in surprise as she looks at Juliet. Juliet shakes her head very slightly. Deirdre smiles unkindly.

Deirdre: How stupid of me to think that you would reveal anything of yourself.

She looks amused.

Deirdre: Well isn’t this wonderfully ironic. Both of you in Haven, all this time...

Royce looks angry, stepping forward. Deirdre’s smile falters.

Deirdre: If you were going to shoot, you would have by now. Unless you’re afraid of what I might do to poor little Juliet of course-

Juliet: Shut up!

She looks at Royce.

Juliet: Royce, do it, don’t worry about me-

Deirdre: Oh I think Royce wants to savour this moment. After all, his revenge is all he has. Am I right?

Royce says nothing.

Deirdre: Let me give you something better. Do you know why you were able to escape from us five years ago Royce?

Royce looks confused.

Deirdre: The one responsible for that is stood in front of you.

Royce looks at Juliet in surprise. Juliet looks equally surprised. Royce smiles in confusion.

Royce: You...you were here, you helped me?

Juliet: I...

She looks at Deirdre, confused. Deirdre sighs.

Deirdre: Of course you were. You know who Royce is, who he was, Juliet. Think about it.

Juliet pauses for a moment. Then, her face freezes. Deirdre smiles darkly as Juliet stares at her.

Deirdre: Wouldn’t you like to know, Royce, why Juliet was so eager to save you, you instead of any other captive in here?

Juliet looks horrified.

Juliet: Wait-

Deirdre: Guilt. Because she was the one.

Royce looks wary of what is about to hear. Deirdre looks at him directly.

Deirdre: The one who killed-

A bang interrupts her. Juliet looks shocked. She gasps and looks down. A trickle of blood streams from a bullet hole in her chest. She falls. Behind her, Liliana comes into focus, standing with the gun she just used. She lowers the gun and then smiles as she sees Juliet.

Liliana: Thank God you’re ali-

Royce: Liliana stand back from her.

Liliana turns to Royce, confused. He is now pointing his gun at Juliet. Juliet looks at him, fear spreading across her face.

Juliet: Royce...

Royce stares at her.

Royce: What she said...you worked for Equitas.

Liliana looks at Juliet, shocked. Juliet hesitates and then nods.

Juliet: That’s right. I did, and I saved you.

Royce narrows his eyes very slightly.

Royce: Why?

Juliet opens her mouth, but does not speak. Liliana looks confused as she looks between them.

Liliana: Wh-what’s happening here? Royce?

Royce: Why?. Why were you guilty?

He ignores Liliana staring at Juliet, stepping forward. Juliet hesitates.

Juliet: I...I...didn’t...I was...I-

Suddenly Royce shoots twice. The scene falls silent and in to slow motion. All that is heard are Juliet’s gasps as she is hit by one bullet and then another. Liliana watches in horror, reaching out as Juliet falls back.

Juliet hits the ground, breathing weakly. She stares upwards in shock. The shadows on her indicate movement off screen but the camera remains fixed on her body.

SLOW FADE TO: WHITE

After a few seconds the sounds of muffled voices are heard. The voices become clearer and clearer.

FADE TO:

INT. BLURRED ROOM

A figure can be seen looking down at the screen. They slowly come into view. It is Devyn.

Devyn: Juliet? Juliet?

Juliet is lying in a bed. Her eyes fully open. Devyn smiles looking greatly relieved. He turns his head slightly but doesn’t take his eyes off of Juliet.

Devyn: She’s awake.

Liliana appears next to him looking anxious. She smiles, taking a sigh of relief.

Liliana: Welcome back.

Juliet looks at him as if trying to focus.

Juliet: Devyn?

Devyn: Yeah, hi.

He is clutching her hand. Juliet looks around her. The room appears to be a fairly well furnished bedroom. She frowns.

Juliet: Where are we?

Devyn hesitates and looks at Liliana. Liliana smiles awkwardly.

Liliana: Juliet-

Juliet: Oh God...Royce...he-

Liliana: He’s gone. He...

She hesitates looking troubled. Juliet sits up and then looks in pain as she clutches her chest.

Devyn: Easy.

Juliet looks at him and then Liliana hopefully.

Juliet: We got out...of Amethyst, we all got out?

Devyn looks serious.

Devyn: Most, yeah. Most of us got out.

Juliet’s hopeful look fades.

Juliet: Most? Who...who didn’t...what-

Liliana: Juliet, listen to me, listen.

Juliet looks at her, her brow narrowed. Liliana pauses.

Liliana: We...got out of Amethyst...almost two months ago.

Juliet looks surprised.

Juliet: Two months!? I’ve been in this bed all that-

Devyn: No.

Liliana looks awkward. Juliet looks between the two of them.

Juliet: T-tell me what’s going on!

Liliana: You were in Amethyst until three days ago.

Juliet looks at her in disbelief. Devyn looks concerned.

Devyn: But we got you back! We’ve been trying every day and... and we got you here.

He smiles. Juliet does not return it.

Juliet: Where...is here?

She looks eager for an answer. Devyn looks at Liliana. Liliana smiles slightly.

Liliana: Do you remember what I told you before all this...that I had a plan to change everything...to make it better?

Juliet nods uncertainly. Liliana shrugs.

Liliana: This is it.

Juliet looks confused.

Liliana: Welcome to...

She trails off as she realises Juliet is looking past her. “Random Firl” by Late of the Pier begins to play. Liliana turns her head. Jackie is stood in the doorway. Juliet stares at her in disbelief. Jackie looks awkward.

The camera moves past her and out of the room and backs down a corridor which has many other rooms along it.

The camera speeds up as it backs away further to a twin staircase that spirals gracefully into a large lobby which is well furnished, complete with a large reception desk, and other rooms branching off.

The camera back away further up some steps and through a pair of double doors which close behind it. The camera then emerges backing out of a small room, and then back through a door and back into another almost identical lobby which is filled with people walking around and standing next to an identical reception desk. The camera moves back from them and out of the main doors and up into the sky as the hotel is shown to be on the edge of the city of Belview which stretches off into the distance.

FADE TO: BLACK

The music continues into the end credits.

THE END