Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: The Never Ending Discussion Thread...

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Last I heard the movie was put on indefinite hold. I'm actually hoping it doesn't happen at all and it looks like that may be the case now.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,185 Times in 2,789 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _Buffy_ View Post
    I have a question for an older members here - do you remember that till now, there has to be a new Buffy movie ? Last year, or may be before two years , we talking about that . But without Joss. Some new young writer would makes a Buffy movie , after S 7. Do you remember ? And Buffy movie without SMG, JM and DB ? Does anyone know what happened with this project ?
    The writer that they had hired (Whit Anderson) was fired and word is the producers got anxious when they saw what a negative backlash the idea received from fans and the media in general. As far as I can recall, they still haven't ruled the reboot out but progress on it has definitely stalled.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

_Buffy_ (06-12-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the info, Mogs. I only knew about Whit Andreson that she was a Buffy fan for a long time, so may be she would make Buffyworld credible. But I don't like the idea - BTVS without SMG, James and David Boreanaz.
    maked by plamivasi

Thanks

These are responses to this thread http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...=18281&page=5. The thread went kinda off-topic on so I’m posting my responses in this thread.

dorotea

My quote: About all consider that Giles was ‘ruined’ in BtVS S7. It’s particularly rare for some to consider that Giles was great in BtVS S7 and for someone to support Giles’s anti-Spike and anti-Buffy/Spike attitudes. Almost no one supports what Giles did in “Lies My Parents Told Me” (7.17).

That's a very personal and shippy statement.
    Huh? That’s like saying it’s “personal and shippy” to mention that most viewers in the first three Seasons supported Buffy/Angel and didn’t like how Xander treated that relationship at times.

Giles being anti-Spike [in BtVS S7] is entirely separate point of view from Giles being 'ruined'.
    No, it’s part of the reason he was ‘ruined’.

And I see no evidence that supports Giles condemnation on LMPTM by majority or even by majority of Spuffies.
    About all the viewers are against what Giles did in “LMPTM”. I only know of one person who actually supported what Giles did in “LMPTM”. Even on the IM)b Board, -- which from 2005-2009 was very anti-Spuffy and anti-Spike -- not a single poster ever supported what Giles did in “LMPTM”.

IMHO, Giles is too great a taboo for even Spuffies to dare touch him.You are much alone here.
    This is simply untrue. And it’s untrue on this Board – go check out the “Lies My Parents Told Me” (7.17) thread.

Rihannon

I also think a Xander/Dawn oneshot (or two-number, or whatever) would sell. I would buy it for what they would contribute to the main story, but also because I do like the characters.
    I was more referring to if they had done a Xander and Dawn miniseries earlier. As-is the Season is almost over, there’s only one more Issue of the Spike miniseries and the Willow miniseries will be done in less than three months. So, it almost seems too late to do a Xander and Dawn miniseries.

I would get and read it, but the comic Buffyverse it’s already getting strained. I’m not sure how much or little Joss is involved in the comics, the Buffy/Spike ‘breakup’ didn’t make sense the way it was done, huge things are in the Spike miniseries, and I’m actually waiting till the Willow miniseries is over before reading it and commenting on it. Because, really, the main point about the Willow miniseries is whether she brings magic back to Earth.

Shade of Pale

The Spike mini is still sellling well, I think, but it has shot itself a little in the foot by being so self contained.
    More than that, there’s little logical reason for Spike leaving Buffy and then in the miniseries complaining about his not being able to be with Buffy.

Dipstick

Not much about Willow that can be debated?! Whether Willow paid rent in S6,
    She didn’t.

whether she was adequately punished in S7,
    She was almost eaten alive and that happened because her friends thought that she had skinned a guy in that episode. Spike wasn’t punished for putting the Judge together or for working with Adam, so why should Willow been given a harsher punishment?

whether having sex with Tara in OMWF constituted rape,
    It does.

whether she was aggressive and mean to Tara before the mindwipes,
    Huh? She did the one in “OMWF” (6.07) to ‘get past’ a fight. The one in “Tabula Rasa” (6.08) wasn’t supposed to be on Tara.

the ethics of the resurrection spell,
    That pertains to the entire Willow group, not just her.

whether Willow was a bad friend by declining Xander's friendzone invitation to the Spring Fling in Prophecy Girl,
    That’s silly. Xander was being the bad friend by asking her out knowing she knows that he actually wants to go with Buffy.

whether Willow sucked for not introducing Tara to her friend sooner,
    I don’t know to what exactly your referring. For telling her friends that Tara is a girlfriend or for not trying to make Tara a Scooby sooner? Anyway, this is Willow/Tara topic, not a general Willow topic.

whether Willow sucked for not coming out to Xander before Buffy,
    Since when did Willow discuss her relationship issues with Xander? She discussed Oz not wanting to have sex with her and that’s about it and that was something that needed a guy’s POV. Willow was living with Buffy, not Xander. And Buffy was Willow’s best friend, not Xander much like Willow is Buffy’s best friend. Xander was their second best friend.

whether Willow actually loved Oz,
    She did.

whether Willow actually loved Kennedy,
    She’s still with Kennedy
    Spoiler:
    years later,
    so yes. “In love” is the only debatable thing and I lean toward that she wasn’t in love with Kennedy.

how much of Willow's mission to restore magic is for the good for the world and how much for the good of Willow,
    That’s a BtVS S9 topic. I assumed you were referring only to the TV Buffyverse because this subject is one of the main subjects discussed in forums about BtVS S9.

whether Willow has *any* regard for Xander,
    What time is this referring to?

how much she should have been punished or barred from using magic in Something Blue or Triangle,
    She was punished in “Something Blue” (4.09) and “Triangle” (5.11) is actually more Anya’s fault given that it’s Anya who made Olaf a troll god. Willow’s magic was needed. Without it, how else was Buffy going to defeat Adam? How was Glory going to be beaten: the lessening of her mental hold on keeping Ben in is likely an important reason why Buffy was able to beat Glory.

how much a leg did she have to stand on with the Anya-dislike,
    This is silly.

Cordelia-dislike,
    See: BtVS S1.

Faith-dislike,
    That started when Faith became evil. Faith threatened to murder her. By BtVS S7, Willow’s okay with Faith and supportive of Faith.

Including the stuff for BtVS S9, there’re like maybe three things in there that are debatable.

My quote: Most recognize that Willow ‘went crazy’. She was still the third most popular character in the Buffyverse in BtVS S7.

I'm not even sure about that. First, there's a definite anti-Willow streak in hardcore fandom.
    What do you mean by “hardcore fandom”? I focus on everyone who watched or read something.

Also by the end of S7, Angel and Cordelia were plenty beloved in hardcore fandom and in the wider world of people.
    Cordelia is mostly unknown in the ‘general public’. Most people only know Cordelia as ‘a hot chick from BtVS.’ For Angel, for the ‘general public,’ he’s still mostly only known for his relationship with Buffy. If referring to viewers, most BtVS viewers who knew about it didn’t like that Cordy went to Heaven while Buffy was crawling out of a grave. Most BtVS viewers who knew about it didn’t like that Cordy got a bunch of unearned powers and became more powerful than Buffy. And, overall, a sizable number like the BtVS version of Cordy and don’t like that she became ‘Saint Cordy’. For Angel, outside of Buffy/Angel ‘shippers it doesn’t seem that viewers wanted Angel in BtVS S7. Angel went from stating his undying love for Cordy (and Connor) and then waltzing into Sunnydale seemingly expecting that Buffy is going to happily jump him. And the only reason that “Chosen” (7.22) at the time it aired was more Buffy/Angel than Buffy/Spike is because Angel was still alive and Spike was dust. Anyway, I’m not sure why you brought up Angel’s and Cordelia’s popularities. It went Spike, Buffy, Willow, and while Angel was probably fourth, Cordy wasn’t more popular than Faith.

I took my cues that some Spuffys have a negative view of her in S7 based on her treatment of Spike based on essays like When Did You Sister Get Unbelievably Scary?, alleging that the reason Dawn behaved angrily towards Spike about the rape was because Dawn was enjoying getting her licks into Spike because Dawn gets to be the Insider in the Scooby gang compared to when she had to get along with Spike (S5-6) because they were shared outsiders. I've seen that attitude about S7-9 Dawn from Spuffys in boards too.
    I read that essay years ago. I haven’t read a Slayage essay in years and hope to eventually have time to read through them. Sure, some Buffy/Spike fans didn’t like the “Beneath You” (7.02) thing and stuff after. But, overall, Dawn is liked in BtVS S7 although few wanted her to turn out to be a Potential but even that had somewhat to do with the Dawn the Vampire Slayer thing.

I don't want to list names of every Spuffy that I've ever encountered in fandom who doesn't like Willow but it's a lot. And yes, Spuffys and Bangels aren't a hive with only one set of thoughts. However, they are a demographic with some verrrry general similar inclinations.
    No Board – including if one can aggregate all the Boards together – is a random sampling of the Buffyverse viewers. The only anti-Willow stuff I know of merely regards the Willow group. In fandom, Spike/Willow is actually one of the most prominent ‘ships.

Through S5-9, the show's writers present a clearly stated choice between Spike v. Buffy's friends for Buffy.
    This only showed up in BtVS S6 because both Buffy and Spike didn’t believe it was likely that her friends would accept her being in a romantic relationship with Spike. The stuff in BtVS S9 doesn’t apply because
    Spoiler:
    Buffy’s friends had abandoned her.

Further, a huge part of Spike-appreciation is being into his redemption arc. Which presents a motive to "Spike has the best redemption arc"!folks to really disparage everything about Willow's redemption arc. And further to play up allegations of Willow's evil so her redemption arc feels EVEN MORE lacking compared to Spike's.
    I don’t see how this makes much sense. Willow ‘went insane’ after Tara died. Her redemption arc happened over a Season and then the next Season she’s not exactly fully good. In effect, Willow is not redeemed. Spike meanwhile has a redemption arc that begins in “Becoming Part II” (2.22), was certainly redeemed in “Chosen” (7.22), and has been overall good since.

MikeB's argument that there's nothing controversial about Willow.
    I never said such at thing. I said something like, for the TV Buffyverse, there’s less to debate with Willow than there is with something like the Buffy/Spike relationship.

Willow is more popular among the Silent Majority of BtVS Fans than Hardcore Fandom.
    You seem to take hardcore fandom as the posters on the various sites you visit. That’s not a random sampling of the readers of the comics.

Hard Core Fans are more likely to take their more-on-negative-impressions from S6 and get peeved that Joss Whedon said nice things about Willow or Alyson Hannigan while more casual fans either didn't listen to the audio commentary on the DVDs or don't listen to it get pissed.
    You don’t seem to realize that millions have bought the DVDs (and many more have seen them through things like NetFlix, libraries, etc.) Causal fans wouldn’t have bought the DVDs. And those that have bought the DVDs would have seen and heard everything on them.

I'd be remiss in my analysis of why Willow is so disliked in hardcore fandom v. so popular in general culture if I didn't discuss how (I perceive how) she's viewed in the two biggest shipping communities.
    In the ‘general culture’, Willow is pretty much only known as being a red-headed witch who was Buffy’s best friend and maybe a lot know she was a lesbian. As for the two biggest ‘shipping ‘communities’, I don’t recall your discussing how a Buffy/Angel person views Willow.

drlloyd11

In some ways, everyone else's story has been completed except for Willows. Her destiny is still cloudy and incomplete.
    This wouldn’t be true if the Frayverse is still going to happen.

Maggie

sometimes I have the (probably irrational) feeling that Spike will never be let off the hook for the AR.
    After “Sleeper” (7.08), the attempted rape is only an issue in that Giles tries to use it as an excuse for why Buffy shouldn’t be with Spike. Wait, what do you mean by “let off the hook”? Are you referring to how others regard him or are you referring to something happening like Twilight being responsible?

That's why the writers are never going to let Buffy have an un-opaque sentiment about him;
    Huh? Once Buffy is able to comfortably touch Spike again, the attempted rape was a nonissue for her.

that's why we'll always think of him as an anti-hero and not a hero, etc.
    Spike going through the Trials to get his soul back more than cancels out the attempted rape.

Angel can murder Jenny Calendar and Giles and still apparently (pace the Angel Island moment) not ever be off the table for Buffy; Spike never can be on the table for her.
    The Angel Island moment is ambiguous as to what her reaction regards. It could simply be an awkward reminder that Spike knows she has sex with AngelTwilight. Spike could have been with Buffy from “Chosen” (7.22) and after if he actually decided to be with her. The notion that “Spike never can be on the table for her” isn’t based on canon.

Morphia

everyone at Dark Horse thinks [the AR] disqualifies Spike as a romantic partner for Buffy forever. Any teasing otherwise is just them trying to keep the Spike fans/Spuffy 'shippers on board because they know we're a big fan group.
    First off, it’s Spike who keeps leaving Buffy. Buffy wants to be with Spike. And can Dark Horse somehow overrule what Joss wants?

Why the same doesn't apply to Angel after season 8, I have no idea. It should ten times over.
    What Buffy/Angel stuff is there after BtVS S8?
    Last edited by MikeB; 20-12-12 at 06:50 AM. Reason: New posts since I was reading/editing this post and I had one more response

Thanks

She did the one in “OMWF” (6.07) to ‘get past’ a fight. The one in “Tabula Rasa” (6.08) wasn’t supposed to be on Tara.
    The mindwipe in Tabula Rasa was aimed at both Tara and Buffy and mistakenly ended up affecting the rest of the Scooby gang.

She didn’t.
    I love it when you show off your secret knowledge of ambiguous canon details. And by love it, I mean, it makes me laugh because no amount of "this is silly" or other brusque pronouncements is going to make these scenes any less ambiguous.

She was almost eaten alive and that happened because her friends thought that she had skinned a guy in that episode.
    That's not a punishment, it's just part of the danger of living on the Hellmouth.

That pertains to the entire Willow group, not just her.
    So? It's still one of the most hotly debated things about Willow.

If referring to viewers, most BtVS viewers who knew about it didn’t like that Cordy went to Heaven while Buffy was crawling out of a grave. Most BtVS viewers who knew about it didn’t like that Cordy got a bunch of unearned powers and became more powerful than Buffy.
    Question - how is that the things "most BtVS viewers" supposedly think somehow always coincides with your views on a given subject?

That’s like saying it’s “personal and shippy” to mention that most viewers in the first three Seasons supported Buffy/Angel and didn’t like how Xander treated that relationship at times.
    Maybe you need to think a bit on the difference between "most" and "almost no one".

I only know of one person who actually supported what Giles did in “LMPTM”.
    Does that figure include people who like the general thrust of Giles's reasoning in LMPTM (getting rid of Spike) but hate the stupid way he set about doing it? Because I know dozens of such people.

This only showed up in BtVS S6 because both Buffy and Spike didn’t believe it was likely that her friends would accept her being in a romantic relationship with Spike.
    I am pretty sure it was one of the main plots of S7 too and one of the most divisive aspects of the season among fandom too.
    Xander: "Willow, you are the best human ever! I adore you! Well, that's the cookies talking, but you rock!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Shaftoe For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (20-12-12)

Thanks

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I rewatched Die Hard the other day, and all the way through I was laughing to myself at the idea of Spike and the german bad guy being analogues. Bad Euro accent baddies FTW!

EDIT: In School Hard, I mean! Took me a while to make the connection, a couple of years of watching Buffy before the penny dropped.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Thanks

merry christmas and happy new year to all of you !!!!
    maked by plamivasi

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,108 Posts

Front Row Special on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b0...uffy&rpSrp=1.0

Really great retrospective with new interviews by Joss,Tony Head and even Neil Gaiman.

Thanks

I had no Idea that a movie was EVER on the books until just now. I'm worried I may be in for a disappointment.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I had no Idea that a movie was EVER on the books until just now. I'm worried I may be in for a disappointment.
    If you're talking about the "Buffy movie done without Joss Whedon, SMG, or any of the characters that were original to the TV show" movie, that ship sailed years ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,192 Posts

Hey, was Spike ever in Sunnydale High's library?
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 9,185 Times in 2,789 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Hey, was Spike ever in Sunnydale High's library?
    Nope he never appeared in the library!
    - "The earth is doomed" -

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (21-09-15)

Thanks

I was sure he did.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mariah For This Useful Post:

flow (05-06-19),Priceless (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,689 Times in 4,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    I was sure he did.
    He appeared in Season 7's library in Help (there might be others). He was also in the library in Doomed, when he learnt he could fight demons, but the library had been blown up by then, so does that count?

Can anyone remember any other times?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (05-06-19)

Thanks

No, my question was in regards to the first three seasons before the library was destroyed. It was for a fanfiction.
    Made by Trickyboxes

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

It was, intentionally, a big deal and shocking moment when the Mayor walked into the Library. It wasn't unheard of for villains to turn up there, but they Kept It Rare so it always felt like a big intrusion and violation. "Becoming, Part I" is best other example. Not counting the Hellmouth here.

Banner by LRae12

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-06-19)

Thanks

No, my question was in regards to the first three seasons before the library was destroyed. It was for a fanfiction.
    Only took four years Sosa, hope that hasn't slowed down your writing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Only took four years Sosa, hope that hasn't slowed down your writing
    LOL! No, Vampmogs answered my question then. My fic is fine.
    Made by Trickyboxes

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-06-19)

Thanks

LOL! No, Vampmogs answered my question then. My fic is fine.
    Oh well, some of us are slower thinkers