Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Issue 20 Plot. Thoughts.

  1. #1
    Sunnydale High Student -beardo-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Issue 20 Plot. Thoughts.

    Let's talk Plot. All we know is that it has something to do with the Animated series and tha is going to be drawn like the animated series.

    So my idea for the plot would be that the scoobies discover that Twilight is someone who they met in highschool or someone who knew them in their highschool years. So Willow does a spell to take Buffy, Xander and Willow back to their highschool days (I think it would only be Buffy, Willow and Xander since they are the ones watching the TV on the cover) and something goes wrong with the spell. Someone interfers with the spell turning them into Cartoons in their past days hence why it is drawn like a cartoon. It sounds like a season eight plot.

    And i don't think they would make a drastic turn of artist jor no reason. There has to be one. And looking at the cover it looks like there is going to be a reason as well. I mean it looks as if Normal Buffy and Co are watching a Buffy Cartoon so there looks like a reason why a drastic change in artist is happening.

    Thoughts

  2. #2
    SFU Mourner. Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK.
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -beardo- View Post
    Let's talk Plot. All we know is that it has something to do with the Animated series and tha is going to be drawn like the animated series.

    So my idea for the plot would be that the scoobies discover that Twilight is someone who they met in highschool or someone who knew them in their highschool years. So Willow does a spell to take Buffy, Xander and Willow back to their highschool days (I think it would only be Buffy, Willow and Xander since they are the ones watching the TV on the cover) and something goes wrong with the spell. Someone interfers with the spell turning them into Cartoons in their past days hence why it is drawn like a cartoon. It sounds like a season eight plot.

    And i don't think they would make a drastic turn of artist jor no reason. There has to be one. And looking at the cover it looks like there is going to be a reason as well. I mean it looks as if Normal Buffy and Co are watching a Buffy Cartoon so there looks like a reason why a drastic change in artist is happening.

    Thoughts
    I seriously don't think they would unveil Twilight's actual identity this early on, if that whole thing is meant to last the whole season.

    I think the reason it's drawn like a cartoon is to make use of the guy who was going to draw the Animated Series, so that he doesn't feel his work was for nought.

    I think it's just going to be something like Willow does a spell, or someone does a spell to them which sends them into Restless-like dreamstates which sends them back in time to High School. Kind of like Jane Espenson's short story, Again in the second Tales of the Slayer book.

    Either way I think it's really awesome the way that Joss is trying to tie back in to the high school years.

  3. #3
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,644
    Thanks
    1,993
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

    Default

    The artist for the planned 'Buffy: Animated Series' was also the same guy who drew all the comic book adaptions of The OC cast in season 2 with the comic book plot.

    Great, great artist, can't wait to see his work in season 8.

    I'm not really sure what's exactly going to happen in this issue other than it involves Buffy revisiting her high school years, though even that is sketchy. We don't know if she'll actually go back in time (given we are already having her go into the future in 'Time of Your Life' or if it'll just be flashbacky.
    - "The earth is doomed" -


  4. #4
    Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    My two guesses are:

    A)whatever the plot is of this issue, it's supposed to foreshadow something else that will happen in the overall series plot much as the Halloween episode did in S2.

    or

    B)they're referencing something specific that happened in the High school years that will have an impact on the overall seasonal story arc, probably something that wasn't resolved or mentioned on-screen later on. What that is I have no idea.

  5. #5
    Bronze Party-Goer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    can anyone post a link to the cover of issue # 20? i can't seem to find it anywhere. thanks alot!!

  6. #6
    and her haircut. Nina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,291
    Thanks
    2,248
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Default

    Here is the thread where the link is posted;
    click

  7. #7
    SFU Mourner. Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK.
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A)whatever the plot is of this issue, it's supposed to foreshadow something else that will happen in the overall series plot much as the Halloween episode did in S2.
    What happened in Halloween that foreshadowed the rest of the season? Maybe I haven't seen the episode in so long that I forgot.
    Is it the stuff about Angel being Spike's "sire"?


    B)they're referencing something specific that happened in the High school years that will have an impact on the overall seasonal story arc, probably something that wasn't resolved or mentioned on-screen later on. What that is I have no idea.
    The school's production of Romeo and Juliet being attacked by flying monkey demons?

    They're interesting ideas though, I think the second one sounds better.

  8. #8
    Taka! Tora! Batta!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What happened in Halloween that foreshadowed the rest of the season? Maybe I haven't seen the episode in so long that I forgot.
    Is it the stuff about Angel being Spike's "sire"?
    I think Angel had a line towards the end but it was about the magic removing the 'masks' they hid behind, a foreshadowing if you will of his soul being released and Angelus coming back.


    The school's production of Romeo and Juliet being attacked by flying monkey demons?

    They're interesting ideas though, I think the second one sounds better.
    There's one big unresolved plot point that occured in the last two episodes of S2 that was referenced one more time again in S7.

  9. #9
    Scooby Gang Weredog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    O Canada!
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    "Lie to Me" was another early episode that foreshadowed the season's end. It established Drusilla's character and her past relationship with Angelus. It also had Buffy tell Angel that she loved him but didn't trust him. We realize through "Innocence" and "Passion" that her gut feeling in this episode was right. And it also had Buffy slay her friend-turned-vampire, which sort of served her as prep work for killing Angel.

    I don't know if this issue will serve the same purpose, since "Anywhere But Here" seems to have planted a lot of seeds (ie. Twilight, the upcoming war, the betrayal, Willow's snake lady and more). Issue #20 could either go down this route, or it could also be a light, simple, walk down memory lane kind of issue. I'll like any of them -- just as long as they're well-written. I don't want another "Doomed" on our hands.

  10. #10
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,644
    Thanks
    1,993
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weredog View Post
    "Lie to Me" was another early episode that foreshadowed the season's end. It established Drusilla's character and her past relationship with Angelus. It also had Buffy tell Angel that she loved him but didn't trust him. We realize through "Innocence" and "Passion" that her gut feeling in this episode was right. And it also had Buffy slay her friend-turned-vampire, which sort of served her as prep work for killing Angel.
    Yup. And you also have Buffy saying to Angel in 'When She Was Bad' "what you must have thought about it, me the slayer you a vampire, you must have wondered, so why don't we find out, kick my ass" and in 'Bad Eggs' as the camera moves away from the two of them kissing, the words "In loving memory" being shown on the headstone their leaning against.
    - "The earth is doomed" -


  11. #11
    The Dark Avenger NileQT87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Hyperion Hotel
    Posts
    1,703
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    also the fact that drusilla mirrored buffy in many ways when she was alive. pure, chaste, being chosen for something that is both a blessing and a curse (visions and being the slayer).

    angelus' plans for buffy were definitely influenced by what he did to drusilla--the kind of methodical mental tortures he put both through--picking them apart from the inside by going after their friends and family and preying on their mental weaknesses (drusilla's religiosity and "devil child"-fear / buffy's love for angel).

    bad eggs is more about season 3, imo, than season 2. i view "in loving memory" as the beginning of the end of the relationship--bringing up angel's reasons for leaving sunnydale right at the beginning of the relationship. it goes as far as to foreshadow connor as a completion of what angel feels he needs to be a whole man. it actually is one of the most important talks for angel's character in btvs. it sets up what *he* wants as well as highlighting buffy's living in the now and not thinking of the future.

    "If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

  12. #12
    Sunnydale High Student -beardo-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So Jeanty is drawing part of the issue as well so it looks like that they are turned into cartoons or it could possibly a dream etc.

    the link to the information about georges jeanty drawing part of it is here.

    http://community.livejournal.com/new...46.html#cutid1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •