Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ for the Fiction Section - Please read

Thanks

Default FAQ for the Fiction Section - Please read

Welcome to the BuffyForums Fanfic Section. In here you will find many subsections full of great writing of all kinds. You are free to add your own works of fanfiction, or to offer feedback on other peoples', but first we ask that you read these guidelines carefully so you understand exactly how this busy section works.

The Layout - where to find everything

The Fanfic Section has many subsections, which are listed below to help you find your way around:

2013 FanFiction - All fics posted in 2013

2012 FanFiction - All fics posted in 2012

Virtual Seasons - several of our members have written longer series as a continuation or spin-off of the buffyverse.

Feedback - post feedback for stories in here

Archive - fics posted before 2012 are archived here

Okay that's the layout and where to find the sections, these are the guidelines for posting fics.

1. How do I post my fic on the forum?
    You need to start a new thread in the 2013 FanFiction section of the forum. If you label your story clearly in the title and at the top of the post, it helps readers to know what to expect when they read. Here is an example of the kind of labelling that is clearest and most useful:

Title:
    Author:
    Rating:
    Show/Genre/Characters:
    Warnings/Spoilers:
    Wordcount:
    Summary:

Please remember to use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Please do not start a new thread announcing that you have an idea for a new fanfic - ideas may be discussed in the fanfic discussion thread. Fanfic threads are for completed stories only.

2. How long will my story remain in the main fiction section?
    As with discussion threads elsewhere, all fic threads remain in the main section for one month, after which they are moved to the archives. If you have a Work In Progress you haven't updated in a while, you might find that it has been archived. Please don't start a new thread. Simply PM the moderator to have your thread returned to the main section.

3. What is the deal with ratings on stories?
    When you start a story you can decide what rating you want it to have based on the content. This isn't necessary except for adult fics, which must have a warning in the title.

To help you determine which rating to use for your story here are the official descriptions of suggested ratings:

n/a = if you rather not add one or are not sure.

G = For general audiences (all ages admitted)

PG = Parental guidance suggested (some material may not be suitable for children)

PG-13 = Parents strongly cautioned (some material may be inappropriate for children under 13)

R = Restricted (under 17 requires accompanying parent of an adult guardian)

NC-17 = No one 17 or under admitted.

4. Can we post songs?
    Songs and poems can be posted, but please if you have written more than one, don't start a thread for each one, just add them to your initial poetry thread as a new post.

5. How do I get my own Virtual Season Section?
    You need to have written at least five episodes already, but please bear in mind that not all applications will be approved - a place in this section must be earned by the strength of your writing. Full entry requirements for the Virtual Season Section and details on how to apply may be found here.

6. How do I leave feedback for a story I've read?
    We have a section dedicated to fanfic feedback. Authors who have written a number of stories have dedicated feedback threads in which you may post feedback for their work. There is also a general feedback thread in which feedback may be posted for authors who don't have their own feedback thread. Please do not post feedback in someone's actual story thread.

If you have any questions or comments please post below and someone will help you.
    Last edited by Llywela; 15-06-07 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks

I noticed in the Fan Fiction FAQ that songs and poetry are allowed, as well as fan fics, but I was wondering about unrelated-to-shows songs, poetry and short stories etc. Would these go in the Misc section? Or could I place them in the Fiction section somewhere, and if so, where?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Narrator View Post
    I noticed in the Fan Fiction FAQ that songs and poetry are allowed, as well as fan fics, but I was wondering about unrelated-to-shows songs, poetry and short stories etc. Would these go in the Misc section? Or could I place them in the Fiction section somewhere, and if so, where?

Thanks for your help!
    hiya - nice non-reflective spikey thread, the_narrator. Main fanfic mod is on holiday so best to wait until Jo gets back, but last time I had the badge, original stuff goes in the thread in Misc. I'd check with an authorised person, though.

JO: the last two posts will need deleting on yez return - edits to stickies being out of order?
    Last edited by ferdy-m; 27-08-07 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks

Do you have any restrictions on the length of fanfics?

My fanfics vary in length from 100 words to one I'm doing at the moment on another (Buffy related site) that's about 240,000 words.

Thanks

The only length restriction is the wordcount allowed for each individual post. Longer stories must be divided into a series of posts, but only you will post in that thread, so that the story is not interrupted. There is no limit on how many posts you can have in that one story thread. If you've got some really long, meaty work you'd like to post here, go for it. Welcome to BuffyForums

Thanks

Fair enough, what is the wordcount length restriction for each post?
    Angel liked to sing 'Oh Mandy', using the Angelus method.

Look at it, play with it, then torture it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a limit still. Hmmm. But if there is one, it is characters (including spaces and any formatting cues like bold) rather than a word limit. I'd guess 100000 characters.

You can just copy and paste your story into the posting dialogue and if it is too much, I'm sure it will tell you. Otherwise it will post fine.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

I want to post a fic I wrote for a ficathon on LJ a while ago, but I decided to ask first: is it OK to post here fiction that has already been posted somewhere? Or the fic should be a "debut", i.e. not previously posted anywhere?
    ________
    Buy cheap vaporizer
    Last edited by Moscow Watcher; 18-03-11 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks

Oh, I think that's fine. My thoughts are that we wanna be a community with as much variety in fiction as possible, rather than too exclusive. As long as you wrote it, you can post it

Thanks

Thanks for replying, Veverka!

It's encouraging - to get a reply so quickly (not to mention that the answer is positive! )
    ________
    Ford edis
    Last edited by Moscow Watcher; 18-03-11 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks

Yep, Veverka is absolutely right. As long as you wrote it, you are free to post it wherever you want (that's appropriate, of course ). The more fic the merrier.

Thanks

I'm just putting the finishing touches to a fan-fic, I'm not to sure where to put it though.
    It starts of with Buffy and co. getting together with Angel and co., they are joined by a few others I have thought up, by the 16th chapter several other are included, then by chapter 23 lots of others are taking over the story. Buffy, Faith, Angel, Willow still play a part but they are known as Buffy=the General of the Elite of The Armed Forces of Bouicandeni, Angel and Faith are the Generals of the Armed Forces of Byzantium, Willow is the Goddess Turee. Basically the battle against evil has been fought and won but they discover they are not who they thought (Vampire Slayers) but they are part of a bigger army = The Armed Forces of Byzantium, and that the dimension they were in is now part of another dimension, I'm currently doing chapter 60. As it is part Jossverse and part of my own creation where should it go?.
    I wouldn't describe it as a spin-off or a continuation of season 7-8. It's just a piece of fan-fac inspired by Mr Whedon. At present it's about 260,000 words.

Thanks

That would go in the Jossverse section, Illyrian, as it is based on the jossverse, albeit an alternate universe.

Thanks

I'm posting a story in the Jossverse section. The New Angel Investigations.
    I'm just done putting up chapter 18. I was wondering about a second page for my story, will it happen automatically? do I need to request another page or will I need to start another thread.
    There is 22 chapters in part 1 so if need be I'll start a new thread for part 2 and the same for parts 3 and 4.

Also for the Written, can I submit individual chapters as the whole story is now 70 chapters-getting on for 300,000 words, even with my warped sense of humour that might be a bit much for some-one to read in one hit, it'd make the book War and Peace look like a short story!

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean about a new page, Illyrian - you can keep adding posts to your story thread indefinitely, and the forum will automatically add a second page when it is too long for the first.

As for your second query, I'm afraid the Written is closing now, and won't be accepting any new submissions. And even if the section wasn't closing, we would not be able to accept such a long submission - all the reviewing was conducted by volunteers, and word limits were very necessary as no one has indefinite amounts of time to give.

Thanks

In Jossverse Fanfiction.
    I've just started posting part 2 of my fan fic. Is it possible for you to alter the title?
    If so........it is THE NEW ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS pt 1
    I'd like it to be THE NEW ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS pts 1 & 2
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 575 Posts

Are we allowed to post art along with the fic?

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
    Are we allowed to post art along with the fic?
    Depends what you mean. A lot of the VS writers produce banners and avatars associated with their work, which are displayed within the body of their stories. So in that sense, yes, if you had a piece of artwork that was related to your fic you could display it within the same thread - but you would have to follow the rules of the fanart forum regarding the size of those images. Generally speaking, though, fanart belongs in the fanart section

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 575 Posts

Would it be alright to post a collection of drabbles all together if they were written as a complete challenge?

And I'm wondering if there's a rating limit on the fiction content one may post. I have a ficlet that has some adult language and implied sexual situations. Very dark and angsty as its from Buffy's POV during Season 6.

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
    Would it be alright to post a collection of drabbles all together if they were written as a complete challenge?

And I'm wondering if there's a rating limit on the fiction content one may post. I have a ficlet that has some adult language and implied sexual situations. Very dark and angsty as its from Buffy's POV during Season 6.
    I don't know that's there's a rating limit, but just be clear in the beginning of the thread what the fic will contain. If you're concerned, you could also put the particular bits into spoilers, but that's probably not necessary. So a simple Rating: PG, or R or M, or however you like, maybe coupled with Warning: adult language and implied sexual situations seems like it should be fine to me.

If you mean drabbles in general, again, I think it's fine to post a collection of them together if they go together. But if it's for a challenge, send a PM to the challenge setter to be sure they will accept drabbles. If it's for Thomas' challenge, I seem to recall he'll accept any format, drabbles included. Hope that helps.