Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost In Time by seductiveembrace starting 15th Novemver 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 13,849 Times in 5,737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Oh dear. Makes her sound like a ventriloquists dummy

Weepy/weak/lap dog Buffy is one of my least favourite character warpings in Spuffy fics.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (15-11-19),GoSpuffy (08-11-19),Priceless (08-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,913 Times in 4,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

Weepy/weak/lap dog Buffy is one of my least favourite character warpings in Spuffy fics.
    Very much so. Buffy does cry, but she's emotional about emotional things, her mum's illness, her boyfriends leaving her. Time travel is a practical problem and practical problems bring the best out in her, she'd take charge and look for a solution and not rely on others to solve the problem for her

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (15-11-19),GoSpuffy (08-11-19),Stoney (08-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,714 Posts

I will be traveling tomorrow. Therefore I am opening the discussion early. What do you think about this story?

As others have said before - this is a very alternate AU. It reminded me more of the Outlanderverse than of the Buffyverse. Time and location at least fitted (edit: for Outlander). It was well written but this wasn't my Buffy. It wasn't really my Spike either. I skipped a lot of it and would like to know what made Spike fight the good fight. Somehow I missed that part. And where did all the other vampires who became part of their clan come from and why did they also fight the good fight?

flow
    Last edited by flow; 15-11-19 at 03:46 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (15-11-19),GoSpuffy (15-11-19),Priceless (15-11-19),Stoney (15-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,913 Times in 4,292 Posts

I'm sorry to say that I haven't finished this fic and doubt I will. It is well written and there is a lot going on but none of it really appeals to me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (15-11-19),flow (15-11-19),Stoney (15-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,849 Times in 5,737 Posts

I honestly don't remember specifics flow and didn't find the time to reread it. I think it was one of those situations where Buffy came to accept/see a grey area in vamp society which was 'proven' by the writer just creating this social vibe around them and Spike fell into helping and showing whatever restraint was required because he loved Buffy and it was what she wanted. All convenient and easy and yeah, it really doesn't feel like canon. But that is a general memory from years ago and I could be thinking about generic directions fics take that this one didn't fall to, but I think it fits from my sketchy recall.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (15-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 592 Posts

I also did not finish this fic. I stopped reading a few chapters in, when it became clear that it was pretty much a bodice ripper with the faces and names of Buffy and Spike glued on to the main characters. Probably not a bad story, but not one for me.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (17-11-19),Priceless (17-11-19),Stoney (17-11-19)

Thanks

Yep, this is a classic of Spuffy fic, and is so AU as to verge on original fic. There is a lot of world-building in it, and there are parts of that world that are unforgettable. For what it's worth, once Buffy gets her memories back, she whips everyone around her into shape and they ultimately form an immortal crime-fightin' team! Team of Extraordinary Ladies and Vamps, Ltd. I joke.

It's a tremendous work, but definitely borrows heavily from the historical bodice-buster realm (+ vampires) and takes commitment, as it is so long. I am not as interested in romance as some readers, but I did enjoy the "politics" of the piece. How do vampires exist in plain sight? If they aren't mindless feeding machines — sharks on land — what does motivate them over time? If they create a society, what is it like, and what sort of rules are laid down to keep them safe and undiscovered (i.e. well-regulated)? There are things that differentiate the vampires we "know" in the Buffyverse from the stake-fodder vamps, and this fic is an interesting attempt to tease out some of those differences and expand on how it might look in a particular place and time.

It's not a pithy banter-thon, but not all fic has to be that. I got quite a bit out of this story, ultimately.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (18-11-19),Priceless (18-11-19),Stoney (18-11-19)