Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Changing the Darker gothic look to a lighter look in Buffy S3 Peoples views

  1. #1
    Scooby Gang
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    529
    Thanked 528 Times in 278 Posts

    Cool Changing the Darker gothic look to a lighter look in Buffy S3 Peoples views

    Ok so the first 2 seasons had a darker more gothic look which was changed in S3 to a more brighter look. It was a bit more darker again in S5 without the gothic (though they did still have a bit of that look in Angel) I wondered whether people preferred the brighter look or the more Gothic look ?

    Speaking for myself I always preferred the darker gothic look and the original theme, which was also changed, I wondered what other people thought ?

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

    a thing of evil (19-10-19),Andrew S. (25-10-19),Priceless (19-10-19),vampmogs (20-10-19)

  3. #2
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,770
    Thanks
    2,111
    Thanked 9,311 Times in 2,827 Posts

    Default

    I prefer the gothic look myself but I actually think that Season 3 more or less maintains it. I think the bigger difference between Season 1/2 and Season 3 is the picture quality as the shows budget increased and they started using different cameras. I think this contributed greatly to the “brighter” appearance of Season 3 because the film was less grainy.

    To be honest, I don’t see a huge change in the show’s look until Season 5. I think Season 1-4 more or less kept the same aesthetic. Season 5 looked very different though, with a much brighter “orange” colour palette, the very bright Magic Box set, and a revamp of The Bronze away from it’s darker grungier design. It also looked so different because the characters underwent some fairly significant changes in their appearance, including Buffy who ditched the blonde hair for the first time since Season 1, and the stunt team changed which had a significant impact on the look of the action sequences. I also believe The WB gave “BtVS” a revamped logo at the time for all of its marketing.

    In regards to the original theme, objectively I think that the remastered version from Season 3 onwards is the better version. But I have a huge amount of emotional and sentimental attachment to the original theme/original opening credits. It reminds me of my childhood whenever I hear it/see it and I’m transported back to such a wonderful time in my life. So the original will always hold a special place in my heart.
    - "The earth is doomed" -


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

    BtVS fan (20-10-19)

  5. #3
    Scooby Gang HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    oHIo
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    293
    Thanked 728 Times in 363 Posts

    Default

    Never really noticed much difference between 2 & 3. If anything S4 seemed brighter.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

    BtVS fan (20-10-19),TimeTravellingBunny (20-10-19),vampmogs (20-10-19)

  7. #4
    Scooby Gang
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    529
    Thanked 528 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Never really noticed much difference between 2 & 3. If anything S4 seemed brighter.
    While not as Bright as S4 it was defo more brighter than 2 l, maybe less gothic style. Though on Angel they went for the darker look until the end of S4 imo

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

    TimeTravellingBunny (20-10-19)

  9. #5
    Scooby Gang Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Gothic is a word with a complicated etymology that means a lot more than simply dark.

    Drusilla is a very gothic character in the romantic/gothic literature sense. So is Angel, especially in "Passion." Many BtVS episodes are gothic in the campy Tim Burton sense.

    I really like the brighter colours in S4-6. But it is hard to compare, because the picture quality of S2 is so poor. S7 is dark, but it is not muddy dark, like S2. I think "Innocence" looks bad. It is so brown. "Passion" looks a lot better, and it would look amazing if it was properly remastered, because they use lighting to really great effect in that episode.

  10. #6
    Scooby Gang
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    529
    Thanked 528 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    Gothic is a word with a complicated etymology that means a lot more than simply dark.

    Drusilla is a very gothic character in the romantic/gothic literature sense. So is Angel, especially in "Passion." Many BtVS episodes are gothic in the campy Tim Burton sense.

    I really like the brighter colours in S4-6. But it is hard to compare, because the picture quality of S2 is so poor. S7 is dark, but it is not muddy dark, like S2. I think "Innocence" looks bad. It is so brown. "Passion" looks a lot better, and it would look amazing if it was properly remastered, because they use lighting to really great effect in that episode.
    The Amazon Buffy HD is pretty good imo

  11. #7
    Scooby Gang Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    The Amazon Buffy HD is pretty good imo
    It's a lot less dark.

  12. #8
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,773
    Thanks
    10,198
    Thanked 8,897 Times in 4,283 Posts

    Default

    There is a definite difference in colour and picture quality between 2 and 3. Personally I prefer the lighter S3 and beyond, because it's just easier to see. Though I do understand why they made the choice to make the show literally dark, as it was a vampire show, dealing with demons and hellmouths. Once we hit season 3 we are dealing with less vampiric threats and with other types of demons that thrive in the light.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    BtVS fan (20-10-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (20-10-19),Willow from Buffy (20-10-19)

  14. #9
    Scooby Gang Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    There is a definite difference in colour and picture quality between 2 and 3. Personally I prefer the lighter S3 and beyond, because it's just easier to see. Though I do understand why they made the choice to make the show literally dark, as it was a vampire show, dealing with demons and hellmouths. Once we hit season 3 we are dealing with less vampiric threats and with other types of demons that thrive in the light.
    I think that is a big part of it. Glory is glorious, and she needs the light for her colours to shine. The night-creatures/day-people dichotomy became less important. Killing vampires quickly became a triviality. Like, in the early seasons, every vamp is a potential threat.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (20-10-19)

  16. #10
    Slayer TimeTravellingBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5,835
    Thanks
    5,691
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    I prefer the gothic look myself but I actually think that Season 3 more or less maintains it. I think the bigger difference between Season 1/2 and Season 3 is the picture quality as the shows budget increased and they started using different cameras. I think this contributed greatly to the “brighter” appearance of Season 3 because the film was less grainy.

    To be honest, I don’t see a huge change in the show’s look until Season 5. I think Season 1-4 more or less kept the same aesthetic. Season 5 looked very different though, with a much brighter “orange” colour palette, the very bright Magic Box set, and a revamp of The Bronze away from it’s darker grungier design. It also looked so different because the characters underwent some fairly significant changes in their appearance, including Buffy who ditched the blonde hair for the first time since Season 1, and the stunt team changed which had a significant impact on the look of the action sequences. I also believe The WB gave “BtVS” a revamped logo at the time for all of its marketing.

    In regards to the original theme, objectively I think that the remastered version from Season 3 onwards is the better version. But I have a huge amount of emotional and sentimental attachment to the original theme/original opening credits. It reminds me of my childhood whenever I hear it/see it and I’m transported back to such a wonderful time in my life. So the original will always hold a special place in my heart.
    Buffy never ditched her blonde hair.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

  17. #11
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,770
    Thanks
    2,111
    Thanked 9,311 Times in 2,827 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Buffy never ditched her blonde hair.
    It was blonde but it was more of a golden or honey blonde than her hair colour in Season 2-4. It definitely gave her a different look, IMO. Not a bad look at all - it looked really nice - but just different.
    - "The earth is doomed" -


  18. #12
    Bronze Party-Goer
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    823
    Thanked 568 Times in 191 Posts

    Default

    I prefer the S1-S2 look myself, but I am also very partial to S4 with its bright colors and bigger setting. I think it was because of Michael Gershman's departure, but the look of the show did change a great deal in S5-S7 and I didn't really like it as much. I can't put my finger on the exact reason why. Maybe it was the addition of the Magic Box, a set that I have never liked and have always found to be kind of ugly.

    I hate the fake HD remaster with a passion though. From the changed colors to the actors' waxy faces, I find it very hard to watch without getting distracted.
    Last edited by Andrew S.; 25-10-19 at 04:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •