Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Worst Episodes According to IMDB

Thanks
    Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,721 Posts

I love Superstar too and didn't agree with their choices. I also considered Reptile Boy too, but opted for Living Conditions.

I can see your point about Riley in The Initiative. I've started to actually quite like his path in the show, but the eps when they try to force likability of him on us it's irritating. The last time I saw The Initiative with the rewatch I thought the violence/aggression switch to humour in the Spike/Willow scene was too jarring. I still don't dislike the episode overall compared to the others I picked, but I do think that scene is definitely problematic in how they mixed it.
    Last edited by Stoney; 20-10-19 at 08:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (20-10-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I love Superstar too and didn't agree with their choices. I also considered Reptile Boy too, but opted for Living Conditions.

I can see your point about Riley in The Initiative. I've started to actually quite like his path in the show, but the eps when they try to force likability of him on us it's irritating. The last time I saw The Initiative with the rewatch I thought the violence/aggression switch to humour in the Spike/Willow scene was too jarring. I still don't dislike the episode overall compared to the others I picked, but I do think that scene is definitely problematic in how they mixed it.
    How Willow handles Spike in Lovers Walk is far superior imo. Her sympathy for him is clearly feigned and she is shown as smart by tricking him by sending him to Buffys house. While there is no switch up with the rape metaphor either, "I haven't had a woman in weeks unless you count that shop keeper" like in the Inative.

I say this as a Spike fan but an episode that should be on the list is Out of My Mind. The writers don't even try to give a reason why Buffy does not confront him after he'd tried to get the chip out and bite her. Its never brought up again and completely forgotten or him getting back with Harmony. Another thing that's forgotten about
    Last edited by BtVS fan; 20-10-19 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 415 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    How Willow handles Spike in Lovers Walk is far superior imo. Her sympathy for him is clearly feigned and she is shown as smart by tricking him by sending him to Buffys house. While there is no switch up with the rape metaphor either, "I haven't had a woman in weeks unless you count that shop keeper" like in the Inative.

I say this as a Spike fan but an episode that should be on the list is Out of My Mind. The writers don't even try to give a reason why Buffy does not confront him after he'd tried to get the chip out and bite her. Its never brought up again and completely forgotten or him getting back with Harmony. Another thing that's forgotten about
    The reason Willow is more sympathetic in "The Initiative" is that she has recently been made to feel sexually insecure by Oz's attraction to Veruca. And she hits Spike with a lamp.

As for not staking spike after OoMM. In "No Place Like Home," Buffy is in too much of a hurry. She can't have a fight with Spike while she is figuring out what Dawn is and what is going on with her mum. In "Family," Spike saves the day, so it would be bad form to stake after he has done something good. In "Fool for Love," Buffy needs Spike's help. Etc, etc.

If Buffy had had some spare time right after OoMM, then Spike would undoubtedly have been dust.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-10-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    The reason Willow is more sympathetic in "The Initiative" is that she has recently been made to feel sexually insecure by Oz's attraction to Veruca. And she hits Spike with a lamp.

As for not staking spike after OoMM. In "No Place Like Home," Buffy is in too much of a hurry. She can't have a fight with Spike while she is figuring out what Dawn is and what is going on with her mum. In "Family," Spike saves the day, so it would be bad form to stake after he has done something good. In "Fool for Love," Buffy needs Spike's help. Etc, etc.

If Buffy had had some spare time right after OoMM, then Spike would undoubtedly have been dust.
    She only hits him after realising he wait a minute what am I doing, which she doesn't need in LW and as she tells Xander, she either helps him or he kills her or she helps him then he kills them anyway. It just didn't work. The whole scene was just a fake out by Joss due to a fake rumour Willow was being killed off nothing more. Petrie even confirms it on the commentary (I think)

Buffy had loads of spare time between OOMM and NPLH. She also knew he had teamed up with Harmony again.
    That's why that dream sequence at the end should've been real rather than a dream, it actually made sense.
    Hell Riley had already told Spike in BvD he didn't have a problem killing him now that he was helpless. I'm sure both Giles and Xander would've done it too.
    Why they didn't was obvious writer fiat and because JM was on a contract.
    Its the same reason why Buffy does nothing but stare when both Dru (a slayer killer) and Harmony both walk away in Crush or why Angel gives Harmony a Job reference in Ats S5 Writer fiat
    Last edited by BtVS fan; 21-10-19 at 08:09 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (21-10-19),vampmogs (21-10-19)