Thread: Black condoms

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 367 Posts

Default Black condoms

In "The Harsh Light of Day," Anya puts emphasis on the fact that some of her condoms are black. Can someone explain to me the significance of black condoms?

Thanks

The only thing I can think is that they might be considered "fancy" — black dress, black tie, etc. — and thereby signify a special occasion.

That's all I've got.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

Thanks
    Thanked 8,706 Times in 4,184 Posts

Maybe 'black condoms' are a code the couple use to a particular role play they both enjoy, so it's encouraging Xander to imagine what they'd be doing with the condoms??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Maybe 'black condoms' are a code the couple use to a particular role play they both enjoy, so it's encouraging Xander to imagine what they'd be doing with the condoms??
    But they don't each other at this point, so they're not familiar with each other's fetishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    The only thing I can think is that they might be considered "fancy" black dress, black tie, etc. and thereby signify a special occasion.

That's all I've got.
    Nice try, but I don't think that's it.

Thanks

But they don't each other at this point, so they're not familiar with each other's fetishes.
    Do you mean they don't know each other very well? I think Anya in particular is very up front about what she wants, and Xander would know what 'black condoms' would mean - if it were code.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,186 Times in 2,789 Posts

I always thought Xander said “that’s very considerate of you” because black condoms wouldn’t be see through and he would be able to hide his modesty a little (somewhat similar to actors wearing socks during sex scenes).
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    The only thing I can think is that they might be considered "fancy" black dress, black tie, etc. and thereby signify a special occasion.

That's all I've got.
    They are called tuxedos and yeah, they're marketed as being for formal occasions. I take to it mean she got a variety pack.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,133 Times in 998 Posts

I always took it as being a comment on size as black men are considered to be "more endowed" and therefore Anja is complimenting Xander's equipment and his thank you is appreciation for that. This is where "once you go black you never go back" originates from as well.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Do you mean they don't know each other very well? I think Anya in particular is very up front about what she wants, and Xander would know what 'black condoms' would mean - if it were code.
    Yes, a word went missing

I don't think Anya has any fetishes at this point. Seeing Xander in "The Wish" seems to cause a sexual awakening for her. She does not know herself yet, which is why she believes the kinds of things you learn about dating from sitcoms.

And Xander and Anya have only really hung out on prom night. I don't think they've had time to develop code words for their fetishes.

Both Anya's return and her sexual advances take Xander completely by surprise. I am pretty sure there was no precursor to this.

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    I always thought Xander said “that’s very considerate of you” because black condoms wouldn’t be see through and he would be able to hide his modesty a little (somewhat similar to actors wearing socks during sex scenes).
    That would kinda explain the way they are talking, but it does not really hold up for me. An opaque condom would not cover much, and Xander would still have to put it on and take it off ... was he going to do that without Anya looking? And Anya is standing there naked as if it is the most natural thing in the world. I don't think she understands modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    They are called tuxedos and yeah, they're marketed as being for formal occasions. I take to it mean she got a variety pack.
    So, I googled it, and I am shocked to see that it is actually a thing. The scene still don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why does make such a big deal about it and why does Xander think it is considerate. Xander has never used a condom ... black or not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-10-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post

So, I googled it, and I am shocked to see that it is actually a thing. The scene still don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why does make such a big deal about it and why does Xander think it is considerate. Xander has never used a condom ... black or not.
    Xander is actually trying to talk her out of it and mentions the consequences of sex, to which she makes the condom comment. He says it was considerate, meaning I guess that she thought ahead and got some. I don't think them being black meant a whole lot. Just Anya being Anya and making observations. I think it was a deft way of writing around the sledgehammer way you had to deal with safe sex back then. There was a small thing about the Buffy/Parker scene because they didn't show or say they used protection.

Thanks

I don't know that there's a deep meaning to it. I'm guessing that Anya picked black condoms because she liked the way they looked, and that she thought Xander might also be excited by this cool thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    I've always read Xander's line as being gently sarcastic because Anya brought condoms with her, period. Regardless of the color.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (09-10-19)

Thanks

I don't think Anya has any fetishes at this point. Seeing Xander in "The Wish" seems to cause a sexual awakening for her. She does not know herself yet, which is why she believes the kinds of things you learn about dating from sitcoms.

And Xander and Anya have only really hung out on prom night. I don't think they've had time to develop code words for their fetishes.

Both Anya's return and her sexual advances take Xander completely by surprise. I am pretty sure there was no precursor to this.
    I don't think that Anya has any sexual fetishes as such. Xander is her thing, only and always Xander. I think she mentions condoms because it's something new that she's learnt in this world; that having sex requires condoms, and that they come in different colours is a surprise to her and she wants to share this knowledge with Xander.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (09-10-19),SpuffyGlitz (09-10-19),Stoney (09-10-19),thenewbuzwuzz (17-10-19),Willow from Buffy (09-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,193 Posts

I don't think that Anya has any sexual fetishes as such. Xander is her thing, only and always Xander. I think she mentions condoms because it's something new that she's learnt in this world; that having sex requires condoms, and that they come in different colours is a surprise to her and she wants to share this knowledge with Xander.
    I agree. Anya was just being Anya, trying new human things without understanding their significance. It's something humans do and she'll do it as well.

Xander's response was simply Xander being his usual sarcastic self.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-10-19),Silver1 (09-10-19),SpuffyGlitz (09-10-19),Stoney (09-10-19),thenewbuzwuzz (17-10-19),Willow from Buffy (09-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,655 Posts

I can’t believe there is a specific term for black condoms.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,211 Posts

I don't think that Anya has any sexual fetishes as such.
    *cough*vaulting horse*cough*

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

ghoststar (10-10-19),Priceless (09-10-19)

Thanks

Well, one of them has a shepherd kink...