Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellmouth #1

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 767 Posts

Default Hellmouth #1

Spoiler:
    BOOM! Studios today unveiled a first look at HELLMOUTH #1, in partnership with 20th Century Fox. The five-issue series from writers Jordie Bellaire (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Jeremy Lambert (Doom Patrol) and artist Eleonora Carlini (Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers) brings Buffy and Angel face to face in the world-ending event hundreds of years in the making—the opening of the Hellmouth!

From beneath you, it devours…Buffy and the Scoobies will have to learn to trust each other again as they race to close the Hellmouth before whatever evil living there can be unleashed on, first, Sunnydale, and then, the world. Meanwhile, Angel, the vampire cursed with a soul, arrives in town to seek his redemption by doing whatever it takes to destroy the path to Hell…and no human, demon, or Slayer will stand in his way.

HELLMOUTH #1 features a main cover by fan favorite artist Jenny Frison (Wonder Woman), along with variant cover by acclaimed illustrator and movie poster artist Kyle Lambert (Stranger Things), as well as a variant cover by artists Kelly & Nichole Matthews (R.L. Stine’s Just Beyond) that connects to ANGEL #5 and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #8!

source

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (11-09-19),buffylover (11-09-19),Double Dutchess (11-09-19),redtent (12-09-19),Skippcomet (17-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (11-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19),Willow from Buffy (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

I like this! I might reconsider my embargo of the BtVS comics if Carlini was doing the art.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

buffylover (11-09-19),Priceless (11-09-19),Silver1 (11-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 430 Posts

I am predicting we will see the rise of Spike now. This Spike lacks the street cred of old Spike, so while old Spike often referred back to his slayer killing achievements, this new Spike needs to make a name for himself. Drusilla seems to have dumped him, so where will he go from here?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-09-19),redtent (12-09-19),Silver1 (11-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19),thenewbuzwuzz (12-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    I am predicting we will see the rise of Spike now. This Spike lacks the street cred of old Spike, so while old Spike often referred back to his slayer killing achievements, this new Spike needs to make a name for himself. Drusilla seems to have dumped him, so where will he go from here?
    I think you're right. The pre-publication synopsis of the new series suggested he'd have lows before he had highs. On the strength of your comments and the artwork (and because I'm in a good mood), I've capitulated and ordered it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-09-19),Silver1 (11-09-19),thenewbuzwuzz (12-09-19),Willow from Buffy (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I think you're right. The pre-publication synopsis of the new series suggested he'd have lows before he had highs. On the strength of your comments and the artwork (and because I'm in a good mood), I've capitulated and ordered it.
    That fills me with pride and joy. Let's hope our faith pays off!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,871 Times in 5,741 Posts

Presumably he'll go towards Cordelia.

That second page, which must be a double page spread, is gorgeous. The balance on the page is phenomenal and the contrasts and colour control is sublime. I could wax lyrical about that for longer than anyone could bear.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-09-19),Silver1 (11-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,114 Posts

Looks pretty amazing to me.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-09-19),Silver1 (11-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 767 Posts

Yeah, the art is fantastic - clean, sharp, colorful. It is kinda weird, though, that the main title doesn't look as good as the spin-offs but oh well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Presumably he'll go towards Cordelia.

That second page, which must be a double page spread, is gorgeous. The balance on the page is phenomenal and the contrasts and colour control is sublime. I could wax lyrical about that for longer than anyone could bear.
    I'm listening! Nothing you say could fill me with as much despair as the English MSM! I'm fast coming to the conclusion Sunnydale is less grounded in fiction than Westminster!

That spread's marvelous - reminds me of the skies in AtF (also The Gift). I need me a dragon! Giles looks like Giles and not your neighbourhood perv...and OMG!...Spike has cheekbones!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,921 Times in 4,297 Posts

I don't understand 'the scoobies will have to learn to trust each other again' - when have they not? Have I missed a panel? Buffy does nothing but fight off the demons, Willow gives up half her soul and Xander's not bitten either of them, so where is the mistrust coming from? This is all barrelling along much too quickly and seems to be skating over the emotional beats it needs to hit to make it convincing.

Willow from Buffy, I think we know Spike goes to LA and hangs out with Gunn and Fred while Angel is in Sunnydale. I imagine Boom are working on how to give him his own title.

I guess I'm the only one who isn't in love with the art. I don't think it's anything special

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Alce (11-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19)

Thanks

Priceless:

I guess I'm the only one who isn't in love with the art. I don't think it's anything special
    I'm just grateful for small mercies:

a) I've stopped worrying whether bulging eyes means they've all got a thyroid condition.
    b) I've lost the urge to post letters

I'm a happy little bunny, me!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-09-19),Silver1 (16-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Priceless:

I'm just grateful for small mercies:

a) I've stopped worrying whether bulging eyes means they've all got a thyroid condition.
    b) I've lost the urge to post letters

I'm a happy little bunny, me!
    I knew you couldn't resist for long

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-09-19),TriBel (11-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I knew you couldn't resist for long
    I ordered variant 3. Just because I've changed my avatar doesn't mean I don't like a nice Spike!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 592 Posts

I'm not a fan of how Drusilla is depicted in these pages, but other than that the art looks really good.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-09-19),Stoney (12-09-19)

Thanks

Wow, this sure looks different from the main series now!

Look at Drusilla's white, old-timey dress and her hairdo. Pretty much the same as how she wore it when she was first introduced in season 2, and the dress is similar in style too. I'm betting her endeavor to open the Hellmouth will not only leave her insane like on the show, but possibly even trapped beneath Sunnydale like the Master was.
    "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-09-19),Silver1 (16-09-19),Stoney (16-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by draug View Post
    Wow, this sure looks different from the main series now!

Look at Drusilla's white, old-timey dress and her hairdo. Pretty much the same as how she wore it when she was first introduced in season 2, and the dress is similar in style too. I'm betting her endeavor to open the Hellmouth will not only leave her insane like on the show, but possibly even trapped beneath Sunnydale like the Master was.
    I think you could be right. She's definitely lost that trouser suit, CEO Boss look she first had. The Hellmouth might be affecting them all in ways they don't even realise.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (16-09-19)

Thanks

I think you could be right. She's definitely lost that trouser suit, CEO Boss look she first had. The Hellmouth might be affecting them all in ways they don't even realise.
    Right? I mean, it's not the first time people have lost their minds on the Hellmouth. Season 5, anyone? And her CEO persona can't possibly be made to last. Now when she (most likely) goes insane, she'll be an even bigger threat once the writers inevitably unleash her on the gang again.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-09-19),Silver1 (16-09-19),Stoney (16-09-19),TriBel (16-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by draug View Post
    Right? I mean, it's not the first time people have lost their minds on the Hellmouth. Season 5, anyone? And her CEO persona can't possibly be made to last. Now when she (most likely) goes insane, she'll be an even bigger threat once the writers inevitably unleash her on the gang again.
    And Season 7 when the Seal and the Hellmouth seemed to exert a real shift on people's personalities. I really hope the writers go in this direction because that's what could split the scoobies apart.

Thanks

And Season 7 when the Seal and the Hellmouth seemed to exert a real shift on people's personalities. I really hope the writers go in this direction because that's what could split the scoobies apart.
    Oh, indeed.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-09-19)

Thanks

It's S7 that comes to my mind. There again, regardless of the topic and the chronology, it's always S7 that comes to my mind. I think S12 re-turned to it - I'm hoping, like you, that Boom's doing something similar.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-09-19)