Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOOM! Buffy #8

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 760 Posts

Default BOOM! Buffy #8

Last edited by a thing of evil; 30-08-19 at 11:25 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (29-08-19),Priceless (29-08-19),Silver1 (30-08-19),Stoney (30-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,268 Posts

I'm always sucked in by these first few pages, and then when we get the comic I'm disappointed. It's great to see Buffy back, Xander sounds exactly right, even if he is a vampire, I thought Robin and Buffy were dating, but obviously she's jealous he's dancing with another girl, and the last page is great. Is this Angel? If so, it's a more humorous Angel then we've ever seen and I like him.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (29-08-19),Silver1 (30-08-19),Stoney (30-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,112 Posts

Right up for the above.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...iew-exclusive/

EXCLUSIVE: Buffy & Angel Meet for the First Time in Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 Preview

In a CBR-exclusive preview for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8, Buffy crosses paths with the vampire Angel, leading them both right into Hellmouth.

by Meagan Damore – on Aug 29, 2019

The Hellmouth event has begun. In a CBR-exclusive preview for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 by writer Jordie Bellaire and artist David López, the eponymous Slayer crosses paths with the vampire Angel, leading them both right into Hellmouth.

According to the issue description,

The road to Hellmouth begins in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #8, where the Slayer meets Angel for the very first time! Buffy’s on patrol at her school’s Halloween dance, but instead of demons and monsters, she finds a stranger in a mask who seems to be watching her every move. Meanwhile, across town, someone close to the Scooby Gang makes a fateful decision that has dire consequences for Sunnydale, and leads directly to the event that will change Buffy and Angel’s lives forever in…the HELLMOUTH.

“It’s the moment every fan has been waiting for since Angel first appeared in our all-new Buffyverse. While we may know them as meant-to-be, this Buffy and Angel are a pair of strangers who have been leading very different lives on separate paths,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer said in a statement. “But now all roads lead to the Hellmouth, meaning these two heroes will finally meet face to face, altering the fates of everyone in the Buffyverse forever!”

Bellaire and López's Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 goes on sale September 4. The issue will release with a main cover by Mondo's Marc Aspinall. Kevin Wada, Becca Carey, Daniele Di Nicuolo and more will provide variant covers. A Hellmouth Connecting Cover by artists Kelly & Nichole Matthews will also be released.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (29-08-19),Priceless (29-08-19),Silver1 (30-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I love this take on Buffy so much! The classic version was so anal about finding the right dress in "Halloween", being all sexy and wild with no repercussions and whatnot - this here beautiful dork dresses as a bat (and looks incredibly cute too!) and literally couldn't care less. I don't like dressing up/Wish I was home studying - like, I would die for her!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,721 Posts

Although I'm a little meh that they could be looking to just repeat the 'meant-to-be' vibe as that felt ridiculously ott to me when I first watched, even as a fan of early seasons Bangel, I'm interested to see how they rewrite Angel and Buffy and a more fun tilt in there rather than the leaning being so much into intense melodrama would be different.

Thanks

I can see they've put some effort into it already, with a nice 'meet-cute' which is fun. Buffy is already crushing on Robin, so I don't know how they're going to handle the Bangel at all. Unless Robin is the bad guy and Angel rescues Buffy from his dastardly clutches

I'm surprised Xander can't tell Angel is a vampire. Or at least not human.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (30-08-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm surprised Xander can't tell Angel is a vampire. Or at least not human.
    I don't think that vampires have such ability. At least Spike couldn't identify girl he turned as vampire despite her being only few feet away and talking to him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Two new covers, I also updated the first post with new preview pages.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (31-08-19),flow (31-08-19),Priceless (30-08-19),Rihannon (04-09-19),Silver1 (31-08-19)

Thanks

I do like the Giles/Jenny relationship here, it's much improved from the last time we saw them together and Rupert was lecturing her and she just accepted it and apologised to him for nothing.

I like the art, and the way Lopez has drawn the exhibition, while looking down on the characters, works well. I have no feelings about Robin either way, so his covers don't thrill me. It's a shame he's got his eyes closed in the non-vamp picture.

Cordy talking about Spike might mean he makes an appearance, and we've seen them kissing on one of the recent covers, so I'm guessing were going to get some Spordelia in this issue

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (31-08-19),flow (31-08-19),TriBel (04-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,112 Posts

Wenxina's review of tomorrow's BOOM! Buffy # 8

https://fanbasepress.com/index.php/p...ic-book-review

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (03-09-19),flow (03-09-19),Priceless (03-09-19),Silver1 (03-09-19),Stoney (03-09-19),TriBel (04-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm always sucked in by these first few pages, and then when we get the comic I'm disappointed. It's great to see Buffy back, Xander sounds exactly right, even if he is a vampire, I thought Robin and Buffy were dating, but obviously she's jealous he's dancing with another girl, and the last page is great. Is this Angel? If so, it's a more humorous Angel then we've ever seen and I like him.
    Sigh...every time I see the characters' mouths, I experience an unconscious urge to post a letter. With their eyes it's "must replace that button". I can't get over it and just enjoy the story. I still don't LIKE anyone.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-09-19),Silver1 (04-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (04-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,226 Posts

I find the art style utterly repulsive. yuk!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

TriBel (07-09-19)

Thanks

Completely understand why people do not like the art. It really is a step down after Dan Mora, but I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me that much now. It's the story that loses me more often than the art.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (05-09-19),TriBel (04-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,190 Posts

It's the story that loses me more often than the art.
    I'm not looking for versimilitude and there are occasions when the style serves its purpose but the mouths are beginning to scare me!

It's like those bloody "smiling dog" memes. They're neither cute not funny - that dog's possessed and it'll go for your throat. I'd forgive the uncanniness if the story interested me but it doesn't.

Thanks

What an issue! I've read it quickly so I could have missed loads. There's big moral questions over Jenny and Giles's behaviour. Dru stabs Spike, which opens the Hellmouth. Buffy and Angel have a chat about what Buffy wants out of life. Willow is doing very dark magic and all the birds are flocking to her.

Really enjoyed this issue, if feels like things are heating up nicely!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (04-09-19),flow (05-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (04-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Is it just me or does Angel come off as, I don't know, socially awkward in this issue and not in a good way? Major PUA creep slash fedora lord vibes? Bats don't have tails, by the way? Like, shut up dude, nobody cares. That said, bats do have tails, wtf Angel? Anyway, the issue's pretty great, Boom! should start selling that BRUJA t-shirt Willow's wearing.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (05-09-19),Priceless (04-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (04-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Is it just me or does Angel come off as, I don't know, socially awkward in this issue and not in a good way? Major PUA creep slash fedora lord vibes? Bats don't have tails, by the way? Like, shut up dude, nobody cares. That said, bats do have tails, wtf Angel? Anyway, the issue's pretty great, Boom! should start selling that BRUJA t-shirt Willow's wearing.
    I thought Angel was quite sweet, though I don't know why he's getting all deep and meaningful with Buffy, hasn't got bigger issues to deal with.

Willow's T is a mood

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (04-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (04-09-19)

Thanks

I liked this issue a lot. The art is throwing me off sometimes.
    So next month there will be no Buffy issue. Just Angel and Hellmouth.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redtent For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (04-09-19),flow (05-09-19),Priceless (04-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (04-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I hate Halloween. ~ Buffy Summers

This issue is plain fun but also works fairly well as a prelude to the great, big crossover event. The art is serviceable, though with some excellent color work.

Rupert and Jenny attend the opening of Joyce’s Egyptian exhibition - fancy clothes, ancient junk - basically, Giles is in heaven and Jenny’s quite happy that they can spend an evening together. I really love those two, they’re so great! After a little chat with Joyce and Eric the partners begin to peruse the antiques. One dagger in particular piques Jenny’s interest. Giles recognizes it as the key to opening the Hellmouth. Drussila can never find out. As he says it, Drusilla, Spike and their minions enter the museum. Giles grabs the dagger and hides it in his pocket. The vampires immediately kill some bystanders and make it clear that they will keep on killing until they get what they came for, starting with the curator. The issue sets up a moral dilemma - save Joyce and risk a potential apocalypse or let her die and keep the dagger out of Drusilla’s hands. Except there is no dilemma. If Giles keeps the dagger the vampires will just kill everybody inside and eventually find it anyway. Drusilla won the moment she walked into the museum. That’s why Jenny’s decision to reveal that Giles has the artifact and save Joyce’s life is a correct one. Drusilla doesn’t see it that way. You chose correctly, she tells Giles, but the company you keep is weak. You need to find a stronger partner, watcher. It’s very interesting because Dru seems to be talking about herself and Spike. Then, without a warning she thrusts the dagger into Spike’s chest, thus opening the hellmouth.

So where’s Buffy? Buffy’s at school’s Halloween party, making sure the kids are safe. The classic Buffy was obsessed with finding the perfect Halloween dress, this one is dressed as a bat, in a cheap bat-hoodie with a lengthy tail. The modern iteration doesn’t like to dress up and doesn’t even want to be at the party! It’s so refreshing. That said, Buffy still looks cute and I think that the art does a great job making her look genuinely funny, big fluffy ears and all. Xander’s at the party as well, dressed as a pumpkin dance meme. Xander can’t tell what Buffy’s dressed as, however, thanks to his quote-unquote vampire intuition, he notices that some guy in a devil mask has been checking Buffy out all night. Leather jacket, lurking, looks like a serial killer - yup, it’s Angel. Buffy plops on the stands, watches the kids dance and stews in her jealousy as Robin, in a spider costume, dances with a some fairy girl. Angel sits next to her and right of the bat starts asking some rather personal questions - he comes off as socially awkward verging on creepy, it’s not a good look. As Angel leaves he also points out that nobody can tell what Buffy’s dressed as because of the tail. According to Angel, bats don’t have tails. Bats do have tails. Idiot. Fire alarm interrupts the party - the seal in basement was broken. Buffy and Xander help evacuate the kids. The floor shatters, revealing a fiery pit, just like in their dreams. Meanwhile, Willow’s getting her first taste of dark magic.

Willow the red, lexicon levitator, bewitcher of birbs, “la mejor bruja” ( I really love that t-shirt!)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

buffylover (07-09-19),Priceless (07-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,300 Times in 2,823 Posts

I actually don't find it refreshing at all that this version of Buffy "hates Halloween" and would be kind of lazy and a buzz-kill about dressing up. The standard characterisation for this Buffy is that she's grouchy, sour, ineffectual and humourless. She's pretty unlikable to me.

One of my favourite things about "Halloween" is Buffy's enthusiasm for dressing up and how excited and happy she is when she and Willow are getting ready. I know that some people thought Buffy shouldn't have pushed Willow into dressing a way she wasn't comfortable, or that Buffy's desire to impress Angel by changing herself wasn't empowering, and I agree that these are valid observations. However, she was in such high spirits in those scenes and I personally loved how excited she was for "the boys to go non verbal" when they saw Willow. She meant well and the way she tried to champion her friend and shine the spotlight on her was really sweet, IMO. It warms my heart seeing Buffy so carefree and happy.

She's far more likeable to me in the OG version then this downer in BOOM's version. It seems all she does is mostly complain and be sullen. It's really one-note and boring.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

38. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

flow (07-09-19)