Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-Purpose Spike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 814 Posts

Default All-Purpose Spike

I was wandering about in my copious BTVS related links, and I discovered this gem. It got me thinking about my favorite Spikes, and wondering if there were any new ones. Surely we, as a fandom, are not limited to such a small pool of Spikes.

Note: The following originated as part of a chat on the Better Buffy Fics forum on Spike's versatility as a fanfic character.

I think also that part of the appeal is that there are many plausible versions of Spike. He's a sufficiently complicated character that an author can pick out just a couple of traits and run with them. He's All-Purpose Spike as well as All-Flavoured.

Consider some versions. There's:

Thoroughly Evil Spike
    for those moments when your least favorite Buffyverse characters need to be kidnapped or killed.

The Big Bad who only thinks he's Thoroughly Evil Spike
    but in fact couldn't hatch a plan to escape from a paper bag. Usually comic relief.

Drunken Spike aka LovelornSpike
    for pathos, comic relief and occasional bath scenes.

Plot Thickener Spike who may be any of the other versions of Spike as well, but who will set some plot aspect into motion just because he is bored.

Medical Experiment Spike aka Caged Panther Spike
    for all your metaphorical needs about man, nature and different kinds of evil.

Unlikely Romantic Hero Spike for your favourite Spuffyfics.

The Spike You Could Take Home to Mother because no-one else is asking Joyce for her opinion.

Big Brother Spike
    because no-one else is asking Dawn for her opinion.

Stalker Spike who can be either quite evil, comic relief or an excuse for a sex scene.

Rebellious Abused Child Spike (aka Will), who appears in many Fanged Four fics, costarring Angelus as the evil dad, Darla as an uncaring mum and Drusilla as the adored and incestuous sister.

Abused Spouse Spike

Abusing Spouse Spike
    including all Spike/Harmony fic.

Unstoppable Sex Machine Spike

Spike Through History
    who wanders through Great Moments of the Twentieth Century like some evil incarnation of Dr Who, hanging out in Prohibition bars and chatting up John Lennon. Sometimes accompanied by his beautiful assistant, Drusilla, but more often than not she's been chained to a bedpost so that Unstoppable Sex Machine Spike can have his way with the locals.

Spike the Speaker of Home Truths aka Dr Ruth Spike

Spike the Author of Godawful Poetry

Spike the Complete Jerk for those moments when Angel really needs to lose his temper.

Existential Angst Spike who _does not brood_ but it looks awfully like it.

Redemptionista Spike
    because if he can be saved, there's hope for us all.

The Wrong Boyfriend Spike who rides on his motorcycle wearing too much leather. Shouldn't you be dating that nice grad student instead?

The Englishman Abroad Spike who will mock the US, munch on his Weetabix and use words like "bint".

Odd Couple Spike one half of any comedy duo.

Try Hard Spike who through his (sometimes) selfless and unrewarded actions becomes a metaphor for someone from the wrong side of the tracks trying to make good. Also useful if you want to demonstrate that Person X/Y/Z is an uncaring bitch/bastard who doesn't deserve Try Hard Spike's assistance and/or affection.

Sir Spike who owns a castle in England and is very rich because all British people are like that, don't you know?

Abandoned Childe Spike

Shotgun Wedding Spike who has had to fix his hair and get a real job because there's a Little Bad on the way and now he has to help pay for its upkeep and the wedding.

John Constantine Spike
    named after the long-coated, blond Londoner of the Hellblazer comics who wanders the mean streets, investigating dark magic, reeking of cigarette smoke and moral ambiguity.

http://www.notanothersite.com/indri/...ose_spike.html
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (10-08-19),GoSpuffy (09-08-19),Priceless (10-08-19),Silver1 (10-08-19),Sosa lola (15-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (10-08-19),Stoney (10-08-19),TriBel (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,681 Posts

This made me laugh. It is funny how fanfics pick or exaggerate one character facet to purpose. How about...

Scholarly Spike - educated and able to guide others to a better understanding of life, literature, demons and languages (demon and/or human).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19)

Thanks

Wonderful

Abuse Victim Spike - taken by some nefarious person or group and in some way horribly physically damaged, usually infantalized and needing long term care.

Sex Slave Spike - taken by some nefarious person or group, raped and forced into the sex trade so that he must be rescued and treated with sensitivity and love

Both are known in fandom as Hurt The Pretty
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,190 Posts

Double Agent Spike - ostensibly evil but really working for the resistance in WW2. Occasionally combined with Scholarly Spike and an aptitude for magic (Sorcerer Spike) - Severus Snape Spike.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19)

Thanks

I adore scholarly Spike with his degrees from Oxford/Cambridge and his facility as a demon language translator. I have a true kink for him working beside Wesley or Giles. Properly used Severus Snape Spike is a thing of beauty.

A$$hole Spike - doing it all deliberately and watching carefully, collecting for later truth bombs. Must include some sort of inner monologue.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

TriBel (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,750 Times in 4,206 Posts

The Truly Madly Deeply Romantic Spike who will love you to the ends of time, no matter when that is or what you do to him

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Wonderful

Abuse Victim Spike - taken by some nefarious person or group and in some way horribly physically damaged, usually infantalized and needing long term care.

Sex Slave Spike - taken by some nefarious person or group, raped and forced into the sex trade so that he must be rescued and treated with sensitivity and love

Both are known in fandom as Hurt The Pretty
    OOoh, my fav. Love me a bit of hurt/comfort.

Last edited by Silver1; 10-08-19 at 10:06 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19),Priceless (10-08-19)

Thanks

One of the best fics I ever read, Angel and Dru beat up Spike and dump him on Buffy's doorstep. Buffy wants to stake him but Joyce won't hear of it, she makes Buffy bring him in and they nurse him back to health

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19),Silver1 (10-08-19)

Thanks

Yes, I remember that one. I was a Hello Spikey fan - as well as a few others.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-08-19),Silver1 (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

Oh, this thread is wonderful!

How about

Chef Spike - despite needing nothing but blood for himself he can prepare any human food starting with the perfect omlette and not ending with a haute cuisine three course menu.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19),GoSpuffy (10-08-19),Priceless (10-08-19),Sosa lola (15-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (10-08-19),Stoney (10-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Yes, I remember that one. I was a Hello Spikey fan - as well as a few others.
    I couldn't remember the title or author, just that it was such a great read.

- - - Updated - - -

How about

Best Dad In The World Spike - children just love him, and he knows how to take care of even the smallest child

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    One of the best fics I ever read, Angel and Dru beat up Spike and dump him on Buffy's doorstep. Buffy wants to stake him but Joyce won't hear of it, she makes Buffy bring him in and they nurse him back to health
    Who wrote that one? It sounds familiar.

EDIT: Sorry, just read that you can't remember.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    The Truly Madly Deeply Romantic Spike who will love you to the ends of time, no matter when that is or what you do to him
    Isn't that part of virtually every iteration of Spike?

- - - Updated - - -

Did we mention Stock Market Spike? Aka Investor Spike. He cleverly invested the Pratt family fortune and never spent it until Buffy needed it.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-08-19),TriBel (16-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

Priceless:
    This has been haunting me for three days and today I finally went through my alphabetical list of Spuffy fanfics. Is it memories by Autumn2005 on EF? https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=4876

flow
    Last edited by flow; 14-08-19 at 01:43 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (14-08-19),Priceless (14-08-19),Silver1 (14-08-19),Stoney (14-08-19)

Thanks

Thanks for finding that flow, it sounded familiar and I have read it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Priceless:

This has been haunting me for three days and today I finally went through my alphabetical list of Spuffy fanfics. Is it memories by Autumn2005 on EF? https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=4876

flow
    Yes that's the one. It's one of my favourites. I've not read it in a long time, but I do remember loving it.

Thanks

Uh, maybe I should give it a reread, I rated it really low in my lists. But then that one we're currently reading in the discussion group that I remember enjoying I'm really having to drag myself through now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Uh, maybe I should give it a reread, I rated it really low in my lists. But then that one we're currently reading in the discussion group that I remember enjoying I'm really having to drag myself through now.
    Maybe I should give it a re-read, because I really rated it when i read it and count it as one of my favourites. Perhaps it won't be if I re-read it.

If you're not enjoying the one you're reading, just give up on it Stoney. Life is too short to work this hard for a bit of enjoyment.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (14-08-19),Stoney (15-08-19)

Thanks

But if I did that then the time I've spent so far rereading it would truly have been pointless.

On one level though it's actually proving interesting because so much of what is bothering me are things that have come to be issues for me and personal dislikes that I've gained from reading so many fanfics. It was one I read really very early on in discovering them and I clearly had no expectations or irritations. Plus there is that aspect I always acknowledge that reading them in the group and properly considering them tends to make me far more critical. I suppose I'm carrying on trying to find what I liked about it in the first place.

As for Memories, perhaps that'd be something else that I'd shift on too. I've decided I'm clearly unreliable and changeable.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 1,194 Posts

That was such an enjoyable list to read I remember lists like that about Xander in fanfiction. Perhaps I'll look for them and post them in another thread.

This part in particular made me laugh out loud:

Medical Experiment Spike aka Caged Panther Spike for all your metaphorical needs about man, nature and different kinds of evil.

I had flashbacks to olden Spander fics in my early years in fanfiction.

And I've also read a whole dose of those:

Abandoned Childe Spike

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Oh, this thread is wonderful!

How about

Chef Spike - despite needing nothing but blood for himself he can prepare any human food starting with the perfect omlette and not ending with a haute cuisine three course menu.

flow
    Oh yes!! Chef Spike is at least hinted at in most of the fics I've read. I think I used him myself.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-08-19),Stoney (15-08-19)