Thread: Angel Scenes & Quotes

Thanks
    Thanked 9,095 Times in 4,390 Posts

Default Angel Scenes & Quotes

Do you have a favourite scene or favourite quote from AtS? There's the classic 'if there's no great glorious end to all this . . . ' speech Angel gives to Kate. But are there any others that spring to mind? Is there any particular reason they have stuck with you?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,806 Posts

Yes, the 'if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do' quote is fantastic. One of my favourites across both shows.

I recently mentioned Wes' scene with Fred at the end of Billy as a moment/scene that truly represents the character for me. And it is a favourite scene because of how great it is for seeing the heart of Wes' character, the depth of his insecurities and fears, but also his goodness in how affected he has been and how much he cares. AD really nails the depth of emotion in the moment and I love it.

Similarly, at the end of Hell Bound when Fred tells Spike that she's been telling everyone that he's worth saving, the emotional response he shows, even so briefly, the surprise and pleasure in someone openly supporting him as worthwhile is a golden moment.

I just love scenes like that. Moments where you see an intensity of response, especially emotional vulnerability. Cordelia's hurt reaction that she clouds, tries to control, when the advertising director speaks to her like she's just an object with no value other than her looks. The moments that hit deeply.

Another favourite scene has to be Fred's death scene and that moment when she stands as Illyria and callously looks at her new 'shell' and simply states 'this will do'. Such a wow moment.

I'm not sure I'm coming up with overall scenes in the way you were intending, just moments that are springing to mind. I could go on and on and come up with a mass of favourite scenes easily, especially if I start to think of the comedy moments too. I really do have a lot of love for AtS. Stand out quotes is harder.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-07-19)

Thanks

All the scenes between Fred and Spike are great but I agree with you Stoney, the scene at the end of Hellbound is great. Fred is so sweet and Spike is just lapping it up. He's so unused to having someone defending and supporting him.

It is the shows 20th Anniversary so I think it's a nice gesture to just say what scenes we particularly like, even if we can't come up with the actual quotes. I have only seen the show twice all the way through, and I enjoyed it, but that's not often enough for quotes to stick in my head. If this were BtVS I could come up with twenty straight off the top of my head.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (03-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,806 Posts

I think quite often it is the moment generally that sticks in my mind for the scene itself overall rather than the exact quotes standing out. The actor's expressions often adding in what makes it so memorable a moment. So I remember some of the lines like what Fred said to Spike and what Wes said to Fred etc, but it isn't the quotes on their own that stand out, that are memorable alone, it's the whole scene. Whereas the 'if nothing we do matters...' quote is a stand alone fantastic line. That's where I was thinking there was a difference in what you were looking for.

I've only seen AtS all the way through once (but then I'm only on my third rewatch of BtVS). Although I'm running two rewatches, the one that started later has just about caught up with the one I started first, so I'm on S3/S6 in them both currently.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the scene at the end of The Prodigal when Darla addresses Angel's belief he has dominated his father finally by murdering him. It really works I think in showing how Angel is still deeply affected by his human past unsouled, as are all vamps, and this is often missed for people because of how he responds in rejecting emotional ties. But it underlines how his behaviour is greatly in response to what he felt/feels and how his history will in actuality continue to affect him.
    Darla: “This contest is ended, is it?”
    Angel has his feet up on the table playing with his father’s pipe. His family lies dead around him.
    Angel: “Now I’ve won.”
    Darla: “You’re sure?”
    Angel puts his feet down and picks up a mug of ale: “Of course. I proved who had the power here.”
    Darla: “You think?”
    Angel: “What?”
    Darla: “You’re victory over him took but moments.”
    Angel looks over at the body of his father and gets up: “Yes?”
    Darla: “But his defeat of you will last life times.”
    Angel: “What are you talking about? He can’t defeat me now.”
    Darla: “Nor can he ever approve of you – in this world or any other. - What we once were informs all that we have become. (Angel looks at his father’s body) The same love will infect our hearts – even if they no longer beat. (Angel looks at his mother’s and his sister’s body) Simple death won’t change that.”
    Angel: “Love? - Is this the work of love?”
    Darla steps closer and smiles up at him: “Darling boy. - So young. Still so very young.”

Another stand out moment in AtS 5 has to be the final exchange between Spike and Angel at the end of Damage. It's an important point in the complexity of who they become when they are souled to not only see their sense of connection to their murderous pasts, but their disconnection as well. They still have that demonic essence in them and the drives of a vampire. But the soul gives them a different connection to who they were and different perspective on their pasts and who they are now. Whereas Spike unsouled felt he'd been saved by Dru, he identifies as having been a victim when souled. [Angel: She's an innocent victim. Spike: So were we... once upon a time.] It links really well with Angel's response in Darla when she's looking to be sired by him and he states that she didn't do him a favour but in fact damned him.

I'm just starting to list now and every time I'm typing one another springs to mind, so I'm going to stop for a bit.
    Last edited by Stoney; 03-07-19 at 02:15 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-07-19),TriBel (04-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,748 Posts

My favorite is from Epiphany but it's not the one that always gets quoted. It's this line instead:

"Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world."

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-07-19),Stoney (03-07-19),thenewbuzwuzz (04-07-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

5by5

Faith "Imm bad I'm evil" breaks down "I'm evil Angel just kill me, please just kill me"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,044 Posts

My favourite line is the last "lets go to work". I really felt it spoke to the character.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,195 Posts

Darla: “This contest is ended, is it?”
    Angel has his feet up on the table playing with his father’s pipe. His family lies dead around him.
    Angel: “Now I’ve won.”
    Darla: “You’re sure?”
    Angel puts his feet down and picks up a mug of ale: “Of course. I proved who had the power here.”
    Darla: “You think?”
    Angel: “What?”
    Darla: “You’re victory over him took but moments.”
    Angel looks over at the body of his father and gets up: “Yes?”
    Darla: “But his defeat of you will last life times.”
    Angel: “What are you talking about? He can’t defeat me now.”
    Darla: “Nor can he ever approve of you – in this world or any other. - What we once were informs all that we have become. (Angel looks at his father’s body) The same love will infect our hearts – even if they no longer beat. (Angel looks at his mother’s and his sister’s body) Simple death won’t change that.”
    Angel: “Love? - Is this the work of love?”
    Darla steps closer and smiles up at him: “Darling boy. - So young. Still so very young.”
    IMO, forget meeting Buffy - aside from Darla turning him, this is the most significant moment in Angel's life and it's why I can't understand people not *getting* A11 when "the Prodigal" returns.

Angel has his feet up on the table playing with his father’s pipe.
    I mean, could they be any more explicit?

It is the shows 20th Anniversary so I think it's a nice gesture to just say what scenes we particularly like, even if we can't come up with the actual quotes. I have only seen the show twice all the way through, and I enjoyed it, but that's not often enough for quotes to stick in my head. If this were BtVS I could come up with twenty straight off the top of my head.
    Priceless.

I don't think it's simply because of your familiarity with BtVS. Seems to me that the two shows have a different relationship to language - symbolised by Buffy's tendency towards punning. In someways, I prefer Angel to BtVS but I find "hooking" into it more difficult - perhaps because it's more plot driven? Would it be fair to say its arcs are more grandiose than those we see on Buffy?
    Last edited by TriBel; 04-07-19 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks

I don't think it's simply because of your familiarity with BtVS. Seems to me that the two shows have a different relationship to language - symbolised by Buffy's tendency towards punning. In someways, I prefer Angel to BtVS but I find "hooking" into it more difficult - perhaps because it's more plot driven? Would it be fair to say its arcs are more grandiose than those we see on Buffy?
    Yes you are right, the language in either show is different. AtS has few puns and is perhaps more adult. Joss seemed to be going for a 'teen' speak in BtVS, a use of language that would be one of the markers that set it in its own 'verse'. No one spoke like those characters in the real world (or not my world) The language in AtS is very different, as seen through Cordy's character. She speaks in a very BtVS way early on in the Season 1, but as the show progresses, her language changes to suit the new show, and her own change in personality and her ageing up.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

thenewbuzwuzz (04-07-19),TriBel (04-07-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

As far as moments/scenes:

1) Angel and Cordy's goodbye, followed by him getting The Phone Call.

2) Wesley's death scene.

3) Angel and Faith in the rain.

Literally my top 3 favorite Angel scenes.

As far as quotes... Off the top of my head, I really love Cordy's 'We take what we get, champ, and we do our best with it', both for the meaning and CC's delivery, which was perfect.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (05-07-19),Priceless (05-07-19)

Thanks

"I can hold a note for a long time. - Actually, I can hold a note forever. - But eventually, that's just noise. It's the change we're listening for. The note coming after and the one after that. That's what makes it music." - Lorne, Happy Anniversary
    "Gay, straight, retarded, why do we have to put a label on everything?"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet For This Useful Post:

flow (28-11-19),Priceless (28-11-19)

Thanks

That really is a great line Puppet. Sums up life beautifully

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (28-11-19)