Thread: Angel #2 BOOM Discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 8,427 Times in 4,062 Posts

Default Angel #2 BOOM Discussion

An Angel #2 review

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/pr...ic-book-review

A quick recap of Angel #1: After losing his human protégé, Helen, in Los Angeles, Angel finds himself in Sunnydale. In a flashback, we learn that Angel(us?) used to be the leader of a marauding gang of vampires known as “The Riders.” In a fateful encounter, a young female warrior (Possibly a slayer?) known as Mara falls under his thrall and is sired. As half the issue is dedicated to this dark moment of Angel’s past, it’s very likely that Mara and the rest of the Riders will feature in his story moving forward. In the present, Angel meets up with an old friend, Francis (A nod to Doyle?), and the intriguing Lilith, presumably the mother of demons as per most pop-culture mythology. Lilith warns Angel of a dark force that “feeds on the living,” presumably on human narcissism, envy, and insecurities, driving its victims to do terrible things in return for instant validation. Interspersed with that reveal is the fact that the latest victim is none other than Francis’ daughter who sets her family on fire, killing them all. Pretty dark first issue, huh?

Issue #2 follows much of the same formula as the first issue, with a long scene dedicated to B-plot advancement and some metaphysical exposition about the nature of vampirism… pretty old hat if you’re a long-time fan of the Buffyverse. The A-story then gets going, picking up right where Issue #1 left off. Lilith drops some cryptic hints about the identity of the evil she had warned Angel about, but stops short of really making things simple for him. Meanwhile, the dark presence strikes again, this time leading to the surprise reveal of an old fan favorite in a mental hospital. I won’t spoil who this is, except to say that some elements of her introduction are similar to her introduction in the original show.

Tonally, I think that Bryan Edward Hill is knocking it out of the park… but as a reboot goes, it may be worthwhile saying that perhaps things are playing too close to the original right now. Angel is still a broody Handsome McGallantpants with a few hundred years of moral baggage to atone for. He’s still largely a loner, and his volition seems largely driven by seers instead of any real personal drive, at least for now. The present mystery does seem to be a more contemporary take on some of the issues that drove the early episodes of Angel. While I’m enjoying the return-to-noir roots that Hill writes really well, I’m hoping to be surprised by some fresh elements soon. Considering that Angel is currently in Sunnydale and that there have been some pretty not-so-subtle hints scattered about, it’s pretty likely that Angel and Buffy will officially meet soon, and perhaps the fresh element coming might be in their dynamic (i.e., Will we see Bangel 2.0 or perhaps something entirely different?).

In accordance with my previous review for Angel #0, I’m a fan of Gleb Melnikov’s linework and Gabriel Cassata’s colors. Melnikov’s Angel bears just the slightest resemblance to a young David Boreanaz, but I’m honestly not too fussed about it. It’s a reboot, after all. On the other hand, Melnikov’s composition hit all the right spots for me, with panels that really seem to move in a very natural way. Cassata’s colors complement the lines beautifully and really enhance the atmosphere. The lettering is also pretty effective, with offscreen thought/speech boxes being consistently color-coded. Kinda telling that Angel’s boxes are colored gray…

Overall: While still not overly fresh, Angel #2 is an enjoyable take on the character, and the introduction of another fan-favorite character may indicate some intriguing, new directions soon.

Creative Team: Bryan Edward Hill (writer), Gleb Melnikov (artist), Gabriel Cassata and Gleb Melnikov (colorists), Ed Dukeshire (letterer)
    Publisher: BOOM! Studios
    Click here to purchase.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (26-06-19),BAF (26-06-19),betta (26-06-19),Silver1 (26-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (26-06-19),TriBel (26-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,166 Posts

But have you read it yet? Has anyone?

Thanks

Sorry if this has been posted before, but isn't it great! . . . (by Will Sliney) And no, I've not read it yet

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BAF (26-06-19),betta (26-06-19),Stoney (26-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (27-06-19),TriBel (26-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    But have you read it yet? Has anyone?
    I have - and I didn't like it. While BtVS still is BtVS with all the changes, Angel is not Angel, they turned it into another high school drama and his past history is too much different, and particularly in this issue, too little Angel and too much teenager persons I don't care about...
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-06-19),TriBel (26-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

The above review is from Wenxina.

I'll have my copy on the weekend.Can't get to my comic shop before then.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-06-19),Stoney (26-06-19),TriBel (26-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    I have - and I didn't like it. While BtVS still is BtVS with all the changes, Angel is not Angel, they turned it into another high school drama and his past history is too much different, and particularly in this issue, too little Angel and too much teenager persons I don't care about...
    This is disappointing because I really enjoyed the first issue

Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    An Angel #2 review...

Issue #2 follows much of the same formula as the first issue, with a long scene dedicated to B-plot advancement and some metaphysical exposition about the nature of vampirism… pretty old hat if you’re a long-time fan of the Buffyverse.
    This interested me the most out of what the review said as the little we've seen about the siring surrounding Xander (as I gather from what people have said and what I've seen in previews, I've still not received my hard copies) appeared to show that they are making new rules in some of the vampire mythology around that and yet this doesn't sound like that general feeling extends out, which would seem strange.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    This interested me the most out of what the review said as the little we've seen about the siring surrounding Xander (as I gather from what people have said and what I've seen in previews, I've still not received my hard copies) appeared to show that they are making new rules in some of the vampire mythology around that and yet this doesn't sound like that general feeling extends out, which would seem strange.
    I can only think that Buffy is exploring how you become a vampire, and that has changed from the original. Angel is looking at what it means to be a vampire and that, at least for Angel, hasn't changed. Though we still don't know anything about the soul or how it works and the differences between Xander who I assume will keep his soul, and Angel who lost his soul but has it returned to him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (26-06-19),TriBel (26-06-19)

Thanks

If Xander keeps his it'll be the soul tie that does that, presumably. But that whole pre-completion decision making that implies a more literal separation after death from the demon that's added and this choice to exit stage left after being drained/fed blood or integrate fully (that's how I took the siring references I saw in the previews), that's very different. I see what you mean though that this could be meaning more about how Angel perceives himself and what being a vampire means. Although, I think if they are creating two versions (demon dominated or integrated), and so they've changed it meaningfully in that way too if not every vamp is the same mix of demon and the human they once were.

I'm not anti them doing this to be honest, it's AU and changing things is kinda the point. In many ways the more distinct it is the better I think. I mean, I still hate the idea of someone coming to the verse through this tbh but I keep telling myself that the readership is likely to be dominated by existing fans instead. Plus if they didn't change things of any significance it would most likely just feel like a diluted version of the original. Big changes are better imo, it doesn't have to fit continuity and should enjoy its independence. My only concern is if it confuses people over the canon verse mythology, which is why the quote from the review stood out to me as surely things have already notably changed in that regard but that implied it was being understood to have not done so. Obviously it is all so much guesswork without reading it all through. Hopefully the distinction you suggest will explain it. I'll just have to keep musing as it'll be an age before I get to see for myself as I think the trade paperback I preordered had a release date in October or something that late on.

Thanks

Here's another review:

https://butwhythopodcast.com/2019/06...angel-issue-2/

Apparently, everything is "beautiful".
    Last edited by TriBel; 26-06-19 at 10:15 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (26-06-19),Priceless (27-06-19),Silver1 (27-06-19),Stoney (26-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (27-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    If Xander keeps his it'll be the soul tie that does that, presumably. But that whole pre-completion decision making that implies a more literal separation after death from the demon that's added and this choice to exit stage left after being drained/fed blood or integrate fully (that's how I took the siring references I saw in the previews), that's very different. I see what you mean though that this could be meaning more about how Angel perceives himself and what being a vampire means. Although, I think if they are creating two versions (demon dominated or integrated), and so they've changed it meaningfully in that way too if not every vamp is the same mix of demon and the human they once were.

I'm not anti them doing this to be honest, it's AU and changing things is kinda the point. In many ways the more distinct it is the better I think. I mean, I still hate the idea of someone coming to the verse through this tbh but I keep telling myself that the readership is likely to be dominated by existing fans instead. Plus if they didn't change things of any significance it would most likely just feel like a diluted version of the original. Big changes are better imo, it doesn't have to fit continuity and should enjoy its independence. My only concern is if it confuses people over the canon verse mythology, which is why the quote from the review stood out to me as surely things have already notably changed in that regard but that implied it was being understood to have not done so. Obviously it is all so much guesswork without reading it all through. Hopefully the distinction you suggest will explain it. I'll just have to keep musing as it'll be an age before I get to see for myself as I think the trade paperback I preordered had a release date in October or something that late on.
    Maybe they are trying to answer the Spike/Angel issue head on? Why were these two vampires so different souled and unsouled? Boom may feel that this question has to be answered up front and this demon integrated or dominated (well put by the way!) is the way to do it, and make it part of the lore using Xander as an example. I'm happy to give it the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes.

I am doubtful that there are many people reading these comics who have not seen the tv show. I don't see what there is about this comic that would pull people in, especially now the art has been downgraded. Boom wanted the title because that's the selling point and is only saleable to the fans who are already invested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Here's another review:

https://butwhythopodcast.com/2019/06...angel-issue-2/

Apparently, everything is "beautiful".
    What really interests me about this is Fred. The story seems pretty generic, which is okay, but it's the characters that are going to keep me reading and I just want Fred to be written well. Not necessarily an exact replica of her character from the show, but with enough nods in that direction to be recognisable.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (27-06-19),Silver1 (27-06-19),TriBel (27-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Maybe they are trying to answer the Spike/Angel issue head on? Why were these two vampires so different souled and unsouled? Boom may feel that this question has to be answered up front and this demon integrated or dominated (well put by the way!) is the way to do it, and make it part of the lore using Xander as an example. I'm happy to give it the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes.
    There isn't a Spike Angel question as far as I'm concerned. All vamps in the original show were made in the same way and were products of their human selves/insecurities/weaknesses/strengths mixed with a demon. Angel's more extreme swings in behaviour between being souled/unsouled I find no difficulty in understanding just from his background/childhood and his sense of guilt linking to that. They are different characters with different personalities but both were changed meaningfully when they became souled, they just didn't respond to their pasts in the same way because they are different. It's all down to character understanding imo and creating a 'reason' outside of that just reduces the need to understand them as individuals, I don't like it as much as the original. But at least whatever Boom does is distinct from canon and it will be interesting to see what they do.

I am doubtful that there are many people reading these comics who have not seen the tv show. I don't see what there is about this comic that would pull people in, especially now the art has been downgraded. Boom wanted the title because that's the selling point and is only saleable to the fans who are already invested.
    The art switch is certainly disappointing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (28-06-19)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Why is it so hard to write a good Angel book? Angel hasn’t had a decent book since A&F season 9. I know this is early days being issue #2 and all, but so far this has just been a re-imagining of I Robot You Jane which was a shitty episode to begin with, only instead of now being over and done with in half an hour, it’s being stretched out over several months.

Demon on the internet is befriending vulnerable girls under the guise of being a friendly guy. This is EXACTLY what Moloch did in season one of BtVS. Is the moral of the story here that there are nasty people on the internet? Really?

Why can’t Angel be in LA solving mysteries with Kate and Doyle? Or in Sunnydale tangling with Drusilla and Spike? Issue #0 was really good, but I can’t care about #1 or #2.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (04-07-19)

Thanks

I got the Lorne cover by Dan Panosian and it is beautiful. I hope we get some Lorne in the series.

I am really enjoying the violence in Angel. It's unexpected and really well done. The girl smashing her head against the mirror is visceral, especially when she drags her face across the glass. Gleb Melnikov knows how to do a good violence/fight scene, I'll give him that. There's a nice little panel of the word 'Click' cut out over a thumb pressing the send button, but it took me ten minutes to work out the word was 'Click', so maybe didn't work as well as it should

The story plods along. We get a bit of Angel's backstory, which I think is how the comic will continue, to be split between the past and the present. There's not much to tell, though it's odd that Angel had an army that fought other demons, and saw humans simply as casualties of war, they were not his direct enemy.

Lilith has become the new Kate, hanging out at crime scenes to give Angel a bit of information.

We do meet Fred. She's in a psychiatric hospital and there are scribblings on the wall, so she may still be a scientist/physicist. She doesn't get much to do here, she mumbles 'forty six, forty six and two' which may be a clue as to what's going on. Oh and she looks nothing like Amy Acker.

It was an okay issue. The story feels like a repeat of last issue, with the monster in the internet theme. Lilith clued up Angel, just like last issue, and we got a flashback, just like last issue.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (05-07-19),Stoney (05-07-19),TriBel (05-07-19)

Thanks

Priceless:

46 + 2

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/view...hp?f=37&t=2653

"Popular belief dictates that the song title refers to an idea first conceived by Carl Jung and later expounded upon by Drunvalo Melchizedek concerning the possibility of reaching a state of evolution at which the body would have two more than the normal 46 total chromosomes and leave a currently disharmonious state.[2][3] The premise is that humans would deviate from the current state of human DNA which contains 44 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes. The next step of evolution would likely result in human DNA being reorganized into 46 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes, according to Melchizedek.

Furthermore, it is believed the song refers to a wish to experience change through the "shadow"; an idea which represents the parts of one's identity that one hates, fears, and represses, this exists as a recurring theme in the work of Carl Jung.[4]"

The story feels like a repeat of last issue
    Not read it but it will do if it's the "return of the repressed".

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-07-19),Stoney (05-07-19)

Thanks

Is that the same as transhumanism?

This is what Wiki's opening para says about Melchizedek . . . gotta love Wiki

Drunvalo Melchizedek (born: Bernard Perona, also formerly known as AKBAR and Hummingbird) is an American New Age charlatan and con artist. His various claims have had some influence on the Western New Age Movement as well as certain celebrities.

Thanks

Is that the same as transhumanism?

Possibly - I didn't read it properly I tend to be more of a Freudian than a Jungian (I've no bloody idea who Tool are). Important though because S6 Spike initially thinks Buffy "belongs in the shadows", not the dark. I was pretty sure S11 was going towards a "natural" transhumanism with Spuffy (which is why I wouldn't have been surprised if Joyce had been a Spuffy baby).

Interesting that Boom!Buffy is hinting at people being "more than themselves".

Drunvalo Melchizedek (born: Bernard Perona, also formerly known as AKBAR and Hummingbird) is an American New Age charlatan and con artist. His various claims have had some influence on the Western New Age Movement as well as certain celebrities.
    Sounds about right!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-07-19)