Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does the show have a "golden era"?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,243 Posts

Sing It sisters! To say that damn board is heavily biased is an understatement. Dreadful hateful place.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19),Priceless (18-06-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Sing It sisters! To say that damn board is heavily biased is an understatement. Dreadful hateful place.
    I got told off for protesting at what somone else had said about Spuffy fans ie Serial Killer lovers and even had my own post blocked. When I pointed out that it was in response to what was said and that's still allowed, I was given the excuse that it wasn't on there Board watch but they would look into it. That was almost a year ago

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,095 Times in 4,390 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    I got told off for protesting at what somone else had said about Spuffy fans ie Serial Killer lovers and even had my own post blocked. When I pointed out that it was in response to what was said and that's still allowed, I was given the excuse that it wasn't on there Board watch but they would look into it. That was almost a year ago
    They are incredibly anti-Spuffy, but if you try and gently point out their inconsistencies, they ban you

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19),BtVS fan (18-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,446 Times in 2,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Whereas I left when another member said that James Marsters adopted his niece because he's a child molester and he wanted a little girl to molest. She was not chastised. The mods had no problem with the post. I objected strongly and was given a warning. That place can be far more toxic than any board I have ever been on.
    Honestly, by the sounds of things that person was criticising an actor and not a member of the forum. What they've said sounds extremely idiotic and hateful, to put it mildly, but unless it's in the rules there that such comments are off limits then they didn't break any rules. This forum has always had similar rules; the rules are there to protect other members, not the actors. If you draw the line at making disparaging comments about non-members of the forum then where do you stop? If, for instance, I were to make hateful comments about Trump should I be banned? I'd imagine most would say no because most people dislike Trump but those rules have to be extended to people that some of us do like too.

On the other-hand, as per BtVS fan's post, making comments about a subgroup of fans in particular is different as it's targeted at actual fans. IMO that should have been dealt with.

As for toxicity, to not beat around the bush, but I've experienced toxicity firsthand on this forum which is why I have a heavy dose of cynicism when it comes to Buffyboards and want went on there. Basically, I think everyone perceives themselves to be the wronged party on both sides whilst the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I also think a shipper's perspective of what constitutes a place being "anti-[insert ship]" is radically different to someone else's. Which, again, I've also experienced firsthand as I've been regularly accused of such things myself. It has inevitably made me pretty cynical about the whole thing I'm afraid as I've found some of the accusations labelled at me absurd (and especially how little it takes to elicit such reactions) and it's coloured my views.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 18-06-19 at 12:20 PM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Slayer
    Thanks

I wish I'd kept those screen grabs I took back then of basically what b*stards the mods they were to me. And thats not overstating things either, but I suppose unless you weren't there you don't 'get' it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Or people can like Spuffy and like the early seasons.

flow
    Me! I think season 3 is better than 4, 6, and 7, and season 2 is on par with 6 and 4 and better than 7, but I still ship Spuffy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seekingoutfriday For This Useful Post:

flow (18-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    I was banned for reporting a post lol

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19),Priceless (18-06-19),Silver1 (18-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Anyone remember when the mods did some Spuffy baiting, by pretending all Spuffy talk was to be banned and the designated threads were to shut down, then were taken aback when folks kicked off about it? I bloody do. They completely misjudged the situation as well as not taken onboard that some of us were fed up with the treatment the owner of the board was dishing out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 502 Posts

My personal golden era is definitely would be season 5 - 6 because I personally find it to be far more profound, dark, creative, captivating, and importantly very admirable.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19),Priceless (18-06-19),Silver1 (18-06-19),TriBel (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* This seems another interesting thread in which various things are discussed. I'll make an effort to go through all of it and respond in this thread or make new threads if I feel that is warranted.

But there are some seriously silly things said in this thread.

The height of the series's success was BtVS S2 and BtVS S3? The DVDs weren't even out. All the major licensing stuff--including the video games--came later. UPN paid $102MM to air BtVS S6 and BtVS S7. That was a HUGE premium over what The WB was paying.

BtVS S5 had the best male demographics 18-34. BtVS S6 had the overall best audience demographics.

Second is saying the height of Joss Whedon's success was in 1999 A.D. is beyond laughable. The Avengers made the Marvel movies a-billion-dollars-each-movie-franchise. Joss Whedon quit after The Avengers: Age of Ultron . That wasn't a great career move given he then decided to play 'patch-up' on The Justice League . The year The Avengers came out was a very bad year for 'Hollywood' movies and The Avengers pretty much made all the profits of the US movie industry that year. That's why Joss was there at the Academy Awards.

Anyway, I'm glad this Board remains interesting and compelling.
    The Avengers was probably Joss's commercial high-water mark, but I don't think it was his finest artistic moment or his most influential work. The MCU's comedic beats and action style had already been worked out by previous writers and directors with Thor and Iron Man. The Avengers relies heavily on the preexisting popularity of its characters, a massive special-effects budget, and skilled actors inherited from earlier installments. While Joss didn't ruin the formula, he didn't add much to it, either.

First-round ratings and ticket sales are far from the only measure of showbiz success. ER had better ratings than The X-Files; which produced catchphrases that even non-fans would recognize a quarter-century later, and which is pretty much forgotten? I'm pretty sure that Law & Order had higher ratings than Monk; which made the most impact on the depiction of crime-solving characters? IMO, Babylon 5 still stands as one of the best examples of a multi-season mytharc, despite the fact that it barely scraped its way through the planned final season.

Intangibles aside, the fandom's passion (not just its size) does contribute to a cultural product's financial success. It makes a difference whether people liked it enough to buy their own copy, whether the reruns will still be still funny/dramatic/comprehensible enough to draw eyeballs (and produce residuals) a decade later, and whether being a fan is a big enough factor in personal identities that the audience buys licensed key rings and plushies and Halloween costumes. Basic watchability is good for profits, but fannish love plays a role, too.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghoststar For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-06-19),StateOfSiege97 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,095 Times in 4,390 Posts

Anyone remember when the mods did some Spuffy baiting, by pretending all Spuffy talk was to be banned and the designated threads were to shut down, then were taken aback when folks kicked off about it? I bloody do. They completely misjudged the situation as well as not taken onboard that some of us were fed up with the treatment the owner of the board was dishing out.
    I remember that. It was an April Fools joke, or meant to be. I'd just joined. I couldn't believe they'd do such a thing, knowing that Spuffy fans were already on the back foot. Why not say Bangel will no longer be discussed as it caused too much trouble? It was always Spuffy that were the focus of the Mods 'jokes'

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-06-19),Silver1 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Honestly, by the sounds of things that person was criticising an actor and not a member of the forum. What they've said sounds extremely idiotic and hateful, to put it mildly, but unless it's in the rules there that such comments are off limits then they didn't break any rules. This forum has always had similar rules; the rules are there to protect other members, not the actors. If you draw the line at making disparaging comments about non-members of the forum then where do you stop? If, for instance, I were to make hateful comments about Trump should I be banned? I'd imagine most would say no because most people dislike Trump but those rules have to be extended to people that some of us do like too.

On the other-hand, as per BtVS fan's post, making comments about a subgroup of fans in particular is different as it's targeted at actual fans. IMO that should have been dealt with.

As for toxicity, to not beat around the bush, but I've experienced toxicity firsthand on this forum which is why I have a heavy dose of cynicism when it comes to Buffyboards and want went on there. Basically, I think everyone perceives themselves to be the wronged party on both sides whilst the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I also think a shipper's perspective of what constitutes a place being "anti-[insert ship]" is radically different to someone else's. Which, again, I've also experienced firsthand as I've been regularly accused of such things myself. It has inevitably made me pretty cynical about the whole thing I'm afraid as I've found some of the accusations labelled at me absurd (and especially how little it takes to elicit such reactions) and it's coloured my views.
    Actually, such comments were off limits. There's a real difference between talking about old gossip - did David and Sarah really have an affair which caused his first divorce. It's even all right to discuss news about the actors like NB's drinking and abuse issues, or DB having to pay off an actress he sexually assaulted. But to allow someone to post such vicious. hateful lies, and even say in his next post that he was trolling, without any initial response - that's just ugly, hateful filth. Eventually the mods had to say that posting such things about real people was slander, and not allowed. And, for what it's worth, I stayed in touch with one of the mods for a year or so after I left the board. She told me up front that the big cheese herself wanted me off the board and was doing what she could to get rid of me. From what I read here, things haven't changed much.

I'd love to know what toxicity you've experienced here. Since we don't have mods, I'm not even sure where it could come from unless some other poster said something you object to.

Then they started kicking off the people who were upset because they didn't support the board....
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

ghoststar (19-06-19),GoSpuffy (19-06-19),Priceless (19-06-19),Silver1 (19-06-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Actually, such comments were off limits. There's a real difference between talking about old gossip - did David and Sarah really have an affair which caused his first divorce. It's even all right to discuss news about the actors like NB's drinking and abuse issues, or DB having to pay off an actress he sexually assaulted. But to allow someone to post such vicious. hateful lies, and even say in his next post that he was trolling, without any initial response - that's just ugly, hateful filth. Eventually the mods had to say that posting such things about real people was slander, and not allowed. And, for what it's worth, I stayed in touch with one of the mods for a year or so after I left the board. She told me up front that the big cheese herself wanted me off the board and was doing what she could to get rid of me. From what I read here, things haven't changed much.

I'd love to know what toxicity you've experienced here. Since we don't have mods, I'm not even sure where it could come from unless some other poster said something you object to.

Then they started kicking off the people who were upset because they didn't support the board....
    How many mods are there and do they all dislike Spuffy fans ?

Like I said I reported it and all I got was the excuse that they weren't the mod the time it happened so they cant ban the comment but they would look into it.
    Last edited by BtVS fan; 19-06-19 at 07:19 AM.

Slayer
    Thanks

Judging by their actions I'd say all the mods dislike Spike/Spuffy, culminating in the board owner who imo has some serious power 'issues' as in she loves to wield It!

Thanks

Just the usual; talking sh*t about other members behind their backs in private groups, calling people "evil", "childish", "*******s", wishing "bad karma" on other members, agreeing to gang up on other members, making ridiculous accusations that border on lunacy, pack mentality, PM'ing members and telling them specifically not to give 'thanks' to my posts out of some kind of shipper-solidarity, talking nasty sh*t about other members, myself included, in PM's that aren't anywhere near as "private" as people think etc. You know how it is

However, the mods were always pretty great on here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,207 Posts

This forum used to be extremely active with extremely active mods back in 2007 when Vampmogs and I joined - before BuffyForums, we were all members of BuffyWorld forums until they shut them down sadly. All kinds of bullying used to be here, but the mods were always firm and fair.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    This forum used to be extremely active with extremely active mods back in 2007 when Vampmogs and I joined - before BuffyForums, we were all members of BuffyWorld forums until they shut them down sadly. All kinds of bullying used to be here, but the mods were always firm and fair.
    But you're a mod now and you do a great job

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Nearly always imo.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-06-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 502 Posts

Vampmogs do you have a mirror in your house?

PM's that aren't anywhere near as "private"
    And are you saying there is a mole on the forum?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    Vampmogs do you have a mirror in your house?
    Several. Maybe I should loan some out!

And are you saying there is a mole on the forum?
    A mole? That would imply they'd be infiltrating something, wouldn't it?