Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare Pairs

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Spike/Anne-Mum fic as long as it doesn't go down the literal incest route. You've no idea how much I want to write Anne-Mum as Ann-e-Ma/Anima and go meandering through Jung (of whom I know bugger all!)I've been thinking about the "Does Angel love Darla" thread and the difference between how Angel loves and how Spike loves. I think Mother's the most significant factor. As Lucifer reminded me, Angels come into the world fully formed. They're literally created by God the Father. They "skip" the dyadic relationship with the mother - and the mother is the child's first love. Liam's mum's significant in her absence.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (14-06-19),GoSpuffy (14-06-19),Priceless (14-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,711 Posts

I just checked and thankfully it's Spike/Anne as in Spike/Lily or Spike/Chanterelle. I also found Spike /Holden and Spike/Janice on the same site.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks
    Thanked 13,832 Times in 5,730 Posts

Ah I think I've heard about a Spike/Janice story where it was when he was triggered, so it might be that. Pretty yuk. I thought the Anne one was Chanterelle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post

Some people think pulling the wings off flies is fun...just sayin'. I can just about get my head around ships intimated by the original work. I fail miserably with ships that are not only "outside the box" but also destroyed the box in the process of leaving it!

I googled. The world has gone insane.

Out of interest, what does your imagination make of Connor/Willow (my imagination's put in a request for "leave of absence").
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    This is where I am tbh. I was genuinely taken aback by how much people shipped non-canon pairings when I joined fandom, but I've seen on various fanfic sites over the years the sheer variety of ships that have been written about. Basically just any combination that can cross your mind. I'm not particularly interested in wondering how people can generate scenarios to try and make things off canon seem plausible (mostly I think it would just push characterisation beyond believability for me), but I do find the fact that people do it kind of fascinating in and of itself, even if I've no interest in reading the stories.
    Their are some terrible stories and some excellent stories. Usually they go AU at the start of the relationship, and exist when a key point is changed - sort of a what if.... Spike/Giles (Spiles) is usually in a world where Buffy never returned from the dead in season 6. There are a few stories that take place before the series, and some where Giles is a vampire. Spike/Wesley almost always takes place before the series, or away AU. There is one rare pairing story - maybe the rarest of all - Spike/Giles/Wesley/Angel/Ethan. The story is Tea and Biscuits written just after the show ended.

A good writer can make the characters live and breathe in your head, and you can see why they make the decisions they do. A less adept writer can write pure canon and still not be able to engage you.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (18-06-19),flow (15-06-19),Priceless (15-06-19),Silver1 (15-06-19),Stoney (15-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

A good writer can make the characters live and breathe in your head, and you can see why they make the decisions they do. A less adept writer can write pure canon and still not be able to engage you.
    Christ, ain't that the truth!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (15-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    I can see this and definitely agree that someone can write something very AU excellently whereas others sticking to canon can struggle. But I do think that for some things to be plausible the reasons/set up for big side steps from canon do fundamentally change a character into an AU version. Without the set up and reasons for triggering characterisation shifts it just doesn't work and so it isn't believable of the canon character as was (from whichever point the story breaks). How well structured and believable those shifts are and the character changes they result in varies of course. Most of the ones I've read that are more extremely different really just break characterisation and poorly justify whatever the writer is going for that they'd have preferred or just want to explore. And really if the shifts are great they stop being the characters I knew/loved and that can often make the stories less enjoyable for me. The bigger the break the earlier it occurs the less troublesome I find it as there is less canon before the AU that's being contradicted. I suppose it depends why you read and most of the time I'm looking to see more canon compatible stories/explorations than alternates and dramatic shifts. I can understand that others find appeal in writing or reading greater swings and shifts though, it just is the opposite of the main draw to read fanfics for me.

Having said that, I can read fanfics very casually and just roll with very AU scenarios and enjoy them. It's very different when you start to think critically and compare things to canon and something you just read for light entertainment and enjoyed can fair badly when being scrutinised for compliance or 'believability'. Often just, 'it read well and was fun' is enough and enjoying it didn't mean you'd ever have wished for that over canon or thought it was plausible.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-06-19 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,027 Posts

It's surprising how many people put Anja and Giles together in fanfics. I guess it's because of the whole "two people in the workplace, feelings develop" theory of Spike added to the tabula rasa kiss.

Buffy seems to get paired with everyone but I don't think I've ever heard of Buffy/Tara

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,901 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    It's surprising how many people put Anja and Giles together in fanfics. I guess it's because of the whole "two people in the workplace, feelings develop" theory of Spike added to the tabula rasa kiss.

Buffy seems to get paired with everyone but I don't think I've ever heard of Buffy/Tara
    Oh there are definitely a few Buffy/Tara fics out there.

I really like Anya and Giles as a couple, but I've not read any really good Anya/Giles fics.

Thanks

PricelessI'm rereading the Origins series and they are done quite well together in that one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,711 Posts

Okay, I win. I found a fic that has Dawn and the Cheeseman.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/9504

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (18-06-19),GoSpuffy (16-06-19),Priceless (17-06-19),Sosa lola (17-06-19),Stoney (17-06-19),TriBel (16-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post

flow
    I just clicked on the author and read this: Every December Sky by Doyle. It's very good. Sad but clever and original. I might give the Cheeseman one a shot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-06-19)

Thanks

Ive started part 2 of origins (revelations) and found another rare pair: oz and Tara.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post

flow
    OMG, never in my life would I thought such a fic was possible. Congratulations flow!

- - - Updated - - -

I just clicked on the author and read this: Every December Sky by Doyle. It's very good. Sad but clever and original. I might give the Cheeseman one a shot.
    I just read the Cheesman and Dawn story and it was lovely. I shall read more of Doyle's work too.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive started part 2 of origins (revelations) and found another rare pair: oz and Tara.
    Where's Willow?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (17-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,199 Posts

I used to read Anya/Giles until I realized that the popular theme of the pairing is Giles being more tolerable towards Anya's antics than Xander, and it's just not true. Giles wanted to fire Anya at one point and usually rolled his eyes at her, not to mention snapping at her to get to the point in The Gift. I'd say he tolerates her less than Xander does. There are plenty of times that show Xander enjoying Anya's way of talking and thinking, but I've yet to see something similar with Giles.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Skippcomet (23-06-19),TriBel (17-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Where's Willow?
    Ther's no non-spoilery way to answer that and it's a big part of the story if I recall correctly. The first in this series is on flow's list for the group reads I think so you might want to wait to find out.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (17-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Ther's no non-spoilery way to answer that and it's a big part of the story if I recall correctly. The first in this series is on flow's list for the group reads I think so you might want to wait to find out.
    Thanks Stoney. I'll wait to read the fic

Thanks

I've seen a Buffy/Lucifer ship (Lucifer's "the Immortal" of AtS5). This is WRONG in so many ways.

Thanks

I've seen a Buffy/Lucifer ship (Lucifer's "the Immortal" of AtS5). This is WRONG in so many ways.
    Do you prefer Lucifer/Spike?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (19-06-19),TriBel (17-06-19)

Thanks

Do you prefer Lucifer/Spike?
    That's an abomination the thought of which can only be removed with mind-bleach. You are a bad person..

In addition to not wanting to see it, I can't see it. Class might be an issue. Spike thinks Angel's a ponce - and he's insecure around him. Imagine what he'd be like if confronted with Lucifer, King of Hell and Noel Coward sound-alike (which is apparently what TE was going for - not Leslie bloody Phillips ). Lucifer might be less resistant though. He does some really interesting things with car batteries - the De Soto might be useful. Maybe they'd bond over cars? D'you think Spike would like Lucifer's Corvette?

I think they could be friends - I can see Spike and Maze working!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-06-19)

Thanks

I've read, and enjoyed, a few Riley/Angel fics, I think they are quite a complimentary couple. I'd read Riley/Giles, but I think it would only work with early season Giles. But that's the fun or rare pairings, the writer has to work hard to convince the reader the relationship would really work, without changing the characters personalities too much.

How about Lorne/Giles . . . how would those two get on together? Or Lorne/The Mayor?
    I actually wrote a Rangel Story. Blame Elysian Fields April Fools challenge a couple years ago!! I had fun. They really fit for me!

A pairing I really really like is Spike and Joyce. Joyce definitely deserves a yummy young looking stud with stamina for days!! For some reason, this one was really, really hot. As a woman of a certain age, I have a vested interest in seeing women over 40 having good sexy fun!!

A pairing I would love to see is Lorne and Doyle. I wrote them in a platonic relationship as part of one of my stories and I love how funny it came out. I think they'd be a cute couple.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (17-06-19),Priceless (17-06-19)