Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Pairs

Thanks
    Thanked 8,475 Times in 4,085 Posts

Default Rare Pairs

I've been reading a lot about rarepairings in fanfic and wondering what are the rarest pairs in the Buffyverse.

The rarest I can think of is . . . Tara/Angel. Are there any Tara/Angel fics? The more I think of them, the more I think they may actually be complimentary . . .

Anyone else think of any other rare pairs, ones they've read or ones they'd like to read, or ones they'd never read in a million years?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-06-19),GoSpuffy (15-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 976 Posts

Joyce and the mayor are rare.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-06-19),Priceless (09-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Joyce and the mayor are rare.
    Oh I can visualise the story . . . they meet during Gingerbread. Faith tells the Mayor how kind Joyce is, and he's taken by her forthright attitude. Buffy is against it, but they move into the Mayors mansion and he gives up on wanting to become a giant snake because of his love for Joyce. I'd love this!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-06-19),GoSpuffy (09-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 Times in 5,598 Posts

I've read a fic where a Mayor/Joyce relationship was referenced but not one where it was current. In terms of what pairings I wouldn't read there are masses of them as I'm not interested in reading most non canon romantic pairings and don't actively seek reading most canon ones either. I've read a couple of fics that included Riley/Angel, I'm not sure how common that is but I would imagine quite a few of the Riley pairings are rare. Is there Riley/Giles for example? I could see a tangent of Riley/Faith managing to be a thing, but I've never looked for them so I don't know how rare it is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-06-19)

Thanks

I've read, and enjoyed, a few Riley/Angel fics, I think they are quite a complimentary couple. I'd read Riley/Giles, but I think it would only work with early season Giles. But that's the fun or rare pairings, the writer has to work hard to convince the reader the relationship would really work, without changing the characters personalities too much.

How about Lorne/Giles . . . how would those two get on together? Or Lorne/The Mayor?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,174 Posts

I think I want to be sick...what's got into you people? My imagination's obviously impaired.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (09-06-19),Priceless (09-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I think I want to be sick...what's got into you people? My imagination's obviously impaired.
    I like thinking how different people would work/live together and have a romantic relationship. Say, Connor/Willow, how would they meet, what would first attract them to each other, what sort of romance would they have . . . it's fun. Are there any actual Connor/Willow fics?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks

Say, Connor/Willow, how would they meet, what would first attract them to each other, what sort of romance would they have . . . it's fun.

Some people think pulling the wings off flies is fun...just sayin'. I can just about get my head around ships intimated by the original work. I fail miserably with ships that are not only "outside the box" but also destroyed the box in the process of leaving it!

I googled. The world has gone insane.

Out of interest, what does your imagination make of Connor/Willow (my imagination's put in a request for "leave of absence").

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (09-06-19),TimeTravellingBunny (10-06-19)

Thanks

Off the top of my head . . . Connor looking for a mother figure. Willow, still mourning Tara, looking to make amends . . .

I'm rubbish at this, but I like hearing other people's ideas

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks

Okay...here's an idea for a fan-fic game. Start off a "rare ship" story with either a sentence or a paragraph and then leave it open for someone else to continue (as in "Consequences"). I can't play - I'm alphabetizing my CDs and peeling the fondant off Liqourice All-sorts.

I'm actually trying "Connor looking for a mother figure. Willow, still mourning Tara, looking to make amends" out in my head. Has Willow ever been a mother? In any fic? She has hasn't she? There's a AU series involving surrogacy.

Thanks

I can just about get my head around ships intimated by the original work. I fail miserably with ships that are not only "outside the box" but also destroyed the box in the process of leaving it!
    This is where I am tbh. I was genuinely taken aback by how much people shipped non-canon pairings when I joined fandom, but I've seen on various fanfic sites over the years the sheer variety of ships that have been written about. Basically just any combination that can cross your mind. I'm not particularly interested in wondering how people can generate scenarios to try and make things off canon seem plausible (mostly I think it would just push characterisation beyond believability for me), but I do find the fact that people do it kind of fascinating in and of itself, even if I've no interest in reading the stories.
    Last edited by Stoney; 09-06-19 at 02:29 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (10-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Are we talking about pairings in actually existing fanfics?

Spike/Willow seem to have been a Thing once. I can't wrap my head around it but there are Spillow fanfics.

Also pairing I have once read about (in the Bittersweet series by Herself) is Angel with Buffy and Spike's daughter.

There is also the Tara/Willow/Giles threesome that GoSpuffy mentioned recently on the What's On Your Mind thread.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Oh I can visualise the story . . . they meet during Gingerbread. Faith tells the Mayor how kind Joyce is, and he's taken by her forthright attitude. Buffy is against it, but they move into the Mayors mansion and he gives up on wanting to become a giant snake because of his love for Joyce. I'd love this!
    This is why you can write fanfic. Not everyone has the imagination needed.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks

Spillow I can get my head around. Buffy and Spike's daughter feels incestuous (at the very least). Willow/Giles I can just about contend with but not Tara. I've seen Willow and D'Hoffryn mentioned somewhere. If, as Stoney suggests, characterization is stretched to breaking point, why don't folk just write original fiction?

GoSpuffy

@Priceless - GoSpuffy's right. Some people can see the big picture, others can't (I can't). I can imagine a conversation between Willow and D'Hoffryn but I can't conjure a scenario. And any thought of sex between them scares me.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (09-06-19),Priceless (09-06-19),TimeTravellingBunny (10-06-19)

Thanks

If characterization is stretched to breaking point, why don't folk just write original fiction?
    Surely it must come down ultimately to wish fulfilment that the character(s) would do something that they weren't shown to choose, that something that wasn't done in canon but was wanted by the writer could really have happened 'if only...'. The want for it to be plausible can be part of the wish fulfilment, and so is mixed into a belief in the plausibility of it then I suppose. At the end of the day I was happy with canon, including accepting the parts I wouldn't have opted for, and didn't have a drive to imagine it/the characters changed. But I still enjoy reading what others think of the characters I'm interested in reading about. It just isn't preferable to canon for me or always believable.

Of course thinking characterisation is stretched beyond believability can be argued to be a subjective judgment. If the actions/scenario runs contradictory to something clearly established by canon (again 'clearly established' could be argued over!) or it requires a major character changing event to be experienced to change their perspective/focus etc to lead into it, then I think that is pushing them out of canon characterisation. That a scenario can be perceived and written to cover the wish doesn't make it believable that they kept them in character during doing so to me. But I think this is what a lot of fanfic is about, really pushing for something other than where canon went and often wanting to change the characters. And perspectives differ of where those lines are when a different direction heads into 'hard to imagine/believe' territory, so those that want it can shrug at the disbelief of others as just subjective, no matter how widely or wildly outside of canon they may have taken things.
    Last edited by Stoney; 09-06-19 at 08:42 PM.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-06-19),flow (09-06-19),Priceless (09-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 586 Posts

I think rare pairs is not at all the same as non-canon pairs. I don't think that Spike/Willow is rare at all, for example. If I search A03 for Willow/Spike I get 359 hits. And it's not like these are all old stories (the 10 most recent ones were all updated less than a year ago). On the other hand, I guess you could say it's rare compared to for example Xander/Spike (1750 hits)...

I couldn't find any Joyce/Mayor ones, but there are 19 Joyce/Spike fics on AO3. I guess that could qualify as a rare pair? (I had expected there to be more, tbh.)

I don't go out of my way to find fic about rare pairs, but generally I do enjoy them when I come across them and they are written well. Like in any fic, the whole point is of course to make them believable without sacrificing characterization too much. I think this is easier to pull off with minor characters, and/or characters we don't know much about when it comes to their love life. For example, I quite enjoyed Dalton/Lorne in "Hunger", and Rebcake has written some awesome D'Hoffryn/Skip stories.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-06-19),Rebcake (24-07-19),Silver1 (09-06-19),Stoney (09-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks

D'Hoffryn/Skip stories.
    Now that's more appealing than a Giles/Tara/Willow threesome!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Rebcake (24-07-19)

Thanks

I agree it's easier to do a non-canon pairing without damaging characterisation when it's with minor characters and the imagination of how they could come to be drawn to each other and how they'd be together has less to clash against in what we saw in canon. The Dalton/Lorne pairing was fun and a good example and I could read a D'Hoffryn/Skip pairing merrily.

Thanks

Okay...here's an idea for a fan-fic game. Start off a "rare ship" story with either a sentence or a paragraph and then leave it open for someone else to continue (as in "Consequences"). I can't play - I'm alphabetizing my CDs and peeling the fondant off Liqourice All-sorts.

I'm actually trying "Connor looking for a mother figure. Willow, still mourning Tara, looking to make amends" out in my head. Has Willow ever been a mother? In any fic? She has hasn't she? There's a AU series involving surrogacy.
    Willow is a surrogate? For who?

- - - Updated - - -

Also pairing I have once read about (in the Bittersweet series by Herself) is Angel with Buffy and Spike's daughter.
    I think that if this is written well, it could work. I've often wondered about Angel/Dawn and if that could be written in such a way that wouldn't be too eww.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I've always said Canadians are the absolute best!

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen Willow and D'Hoffryn mentioned somewhere. If, as Stoney suggests, characterization is stretched to breaking point, why don't folk just write original fiction?
    Willow and D'Hoffryn? I just cannot imagine this in any way . . . it couldn't be physical, D'Hoffryn wouldn't lower himself to be with a human, even one as powerful as Willow . . . so it would be a meeting of the minds, something cerebral.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fun in writing a rare pairing is to be true to character and still manage to make the relationship believable.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-06-19),GoSpuffy (10-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks

Willow is a surrogate? For who?
    No...Tillow have a surrogate. It's one where Buffy keeps miscarrying.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-06-19)