Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOOM! Buffy # 5 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,113 Posts

Default BOOM! Buffy # 5 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Since the issue is out tomorrow,I'm opening a thread.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-06-19),flow (05-06-19),Priceless (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Thanks

Sopilers ahead, obvs.

I had high hopes for this reboot, but it's starting to feel more and more like we're tossed into season 4 and everyone has amnesia and thinks they're meeting for the first time. The plot is moving at a GoT season 8 pace and the art, which was the biggest selling point for the first arc, now is well, not that. In point of fact, I now feel like I'm reading Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. The Buffy-speak is dead and buried (I think perhaps the only ones that remotely sound like their character is Giles and Spike). Drusilla does not work at all as a sane character and I wish they'd have started out with brand new Big Bads instead of recycling old ones. Who wants to bet The Master is still trapped beneath the surface? Willow is way too cocky and really not a good friend to Xander, to such a degree that the writers know it and has to give her lines like: "Never heard from him. Was probably too sorry for himself to come in because Robin was there. But look I say that as someone who loves him though." Yeah. Right. Speaking of Willow, she looks absolutely mental in this issue. Like she escaped from the loony bin. Xander looks about 56 years old and Buffy looks crazy. As does Joyce.

I actually much preferred Angel #1 to Buffy #5.

Thoughts?
    "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

Alce (05-06-19),BAF (05-06-19),betta (05-06-19),flow (05-06-19),GoSpuffy (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19),Stoney (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

I totally agree on all counts sadly. The art was just odd/ugly. Examples under the cut...
    Spoiler:

This artist seems a lot happier depicting horror style characters then anything realistic judging by what I've seen so far. I mean whats with the googley eyes for start? It's all far too cartoony for my tastes.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

BAF (05-06-19),betta (05-06-19),draug (05-06-19),Priceless (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,810 Times in 5,722 Posts

It is ugly, there's little to say about that.

I'm interested though how the soul tie idea works with the split personalities effect they seem to be going for in this alternate siring process. It seems to be suggesting there is an initial period where either the demon totally takes over or some settling into a combination of who they were and the demon takes place (rather than that being an automatic process where they are the human/demon hybrid when they wake). It isn't a premise I like personally, having the human and demon parts more distinct than amalgamated from the get go, but it is different to canon (unless you roll with the simplified vision of Angel as this unusual vamp that doesn't have coherence between his souled/unsouled selves, but becomes a totally different evil character led by his demon when unsouled, which I personally don't. And still, that didn't have any of this intro period idea.). But exploring alternate ideas was part of what this AU was going to do, so I'm interested to see how they use this aspect. What is the point of changing it? What Spike says seems to be suggesting that Xander can choose to give in and let the demon take over or join with it, that that is a choice to make at this point after being killed.
    Last edited by Stoney; 05-06-19 at 01:58 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

draug (05-06-19),flow (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    The art was just odd/ugly. This artist seems a lot happier depicting horror style characters then anything realistic judging by what I've seen so far. I mean whats with the googley eyes for start? It's all far too cartoony for my tastes.
    I completely agree. It's looks like something out of Coraline or something. Deeply unsettling! And so weird to have all these round shapes after Dan Mora's stupendous angular shapes. I don't think I've ever seen better art than Mora's. And the coloring! Now everything is just brownish. Why would they change artists this early on in the run?! Seems like a cruel trick to give us Mora for four issues and then just "HAHA! KIDDING!"

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they completely lost me with the whole vampire/siring thing. Why make it needlessly complicated?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

betta (05-06-19),flow (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 823 Posts

Wow, that art is horrible. Is that really meant to be Xander? Why have they made him so creepy? He looks like Peter Lorre in some of those panels. Everyone's expressions are really ugly too. Was there a reason they switched artists?
    buffylover made this stunning banner

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

betta (05-06-19),flow (05-06-19),Priceless (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I know dreadful isn't it. And I thought Jeanty was the pits......

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

betta (05-06-19),draug (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Stop talking about it! Now I'm in the ridiculous position of having to buy the electronic copy just to see how bad it is! And because I'm curious and I have no will-power.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 417 Posts

This was great. I loved the art. Cordy's blurbs are becoming really funny. The new art is great. It is more organic than Mora's hard, sterile lines. We get another slayer dream. There's some nice Willow/Xander stuff, and we get some more insight into Spike and Dru's relationship, which does not seem all that different from how it was on the show.

And it makes total sense for me that Spike was Xander's sire.

I am curious about what the dream means. Xander point towards a red orb. I've commented earlier that Drusilla seems to be connected with orbs, there being one behind here in the main covers in which she appears. Maybe the vampire are waiting for a moment in the lunar cycle.

And it is nice to see Joyce at her job. Will she be there when Spike and Dru come for the knife?

The only minus is that each issue is so gratingly short.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 760 Posts

I liked it. The art is not super-amazing or anything but it gets the job done and it's still nowhere near as awful as some of the visuals from Dark Horse run. The writing is pretty good, I think - dialog is fun (the banter between Willow, Buffy and Xander is excellent) and I liked the characterizations as well. Buffy's great (shy Buffy, furious Buffy - I'm so here for that!) Willow's just awesome as far far as I'm concerned and I really enjoyed Dru - she's an absolute bitch and I love her!

The Buffy-speak is dead and buried
    Good, nobody talks like that. I was actually worried that the writer would go full try hard replicating Buffy speak so I'm glad that it's not the case. The whole pseudo-quirky 80s valley girl talk with -y added to every other noun doesn't work in the modern context. Leave it in the past where it belongs.
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 05-06-19 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 417 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Good, nobody talks like that. I was actually worried that the writer would go full try hard replicating Buffy speak so I'm glad that it's not the case. The whole pseudo-quirky 80s valley girl talk with -y added to every other noun doesn't work in the modern context. Leave it in the past where it belongs.
    It often doesn't work as well in writing as it does when spoken, because it is a stylised version of oral language.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Slayer
    Thanks

I really, really love that panel where Dru says Shut up, William. She looks so awesomely, supremely smug - it's my next avatar, I just need to edit out that speech bubble or something. It's just perfect!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

TriBel (05-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Shame then imo she looks so bloody ugly and nothing like the character. It makes her look like she has no teeth in her head, which is ironic.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Maybe I'll leave the bubble and just put there something funny instead, like, say You're inadequate or Are you frustrated? What do you think, Silver?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Hmmm...actually, I didn't mind it. Yes - it's really fugly in parts but it's also very dynamic. First read - I might change my opinion.

I am curious about what the dream means.
    Dunno but it's pretty!

I I can't decide whether Spike's done a bad thing or made the best out of a bad situation for Xander.

B/W - I quite liked their exchange but I can't decide whether it's banter or whether there's a real tension between them.

ATOE

I really, really love that panel where Dru says Shut up, William. She looks so awesomely, supremely smug - it's my next avatar
    That's twisted! You're really living up to your user name!

Go on...do it...do it. You know you want to!
    Last edited by TriBel; 05-06-19 at 03:47 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Maybe I'll leave the bubble and just put there something funny instead, like, say You're inadequate or Are you frustrated? What do you think, Silver?
    Nice try hon. But sadly sub par art is always going to be just that, and this imo is absolute crap.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,856 Posts

I don't care for the style visually, either. That's never really a big deal to me, though, as I'm mostly here for the words. But the story underwhelmed me too. I'm unclear on if they are changing the rules of siring in this run or not - and the confusion is solely down to how Giles says the siring wasn't completed (by Dru at least), but clearly was per the old rules by Spike, so... I mean, he's a vampire, he's not a mostly vampire. Unless we're changing stuff. But if you are changing something, exposit that with clarity please.

All in all, not what I was hoping for with regard to a VampXander situation. Honestly this kinda turned him getting vamped into a form of buttmonkeying, the vague innuendo that the experience didn't get Dru off, har har, etc. We'll see where they go from here, I guess.

Banner by LRae12

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-06-19),betta (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,699 Posts

At least it leaves a lot to speculate. Wh didn’t Angel step in to save Xander? Why did Spike turn him although Dru decided not to? What are Buffy and Willow going to do now, to get Xander back?

Have any of those questions been answered yet?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-06-19),betta (05-06-19),brian-cs (06-06-19),Priceless (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I know dreadful isn't it. And I thought Jeanty was the pits......
    Haha! THIS!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to draug For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,270 Posts

Wow that art is horrible. I'm not happy about Spike's receding hairline, and there's one image of Buffy that looks like she's melting Bellaire isn't good at comedy, so they've made the art work hilarious.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (05-06-19),draug (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19),TriBel (05-06-19)