Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you feel outnumbered by B/S shippers on this fourm?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Never really had that problem, but, as I said before, I generally avoid the ship sections.
    Oh believe me you didn't have to be in a ship section to have some of those insane folks jump on you! It's just If you didn't think Bangel was the most super dooper, sparkly forever love in the buffyverse you were f*cked. And I don't really ship anymore.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

betta (02-06-19),Priceless (02-06-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* During the end of BtVS, the viewership was around 50/50 Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike 'shippers when including the Angel audience.

The BtVS audience favors Buffy/Spike over Buffy/Angel.

* This forum discusses the BtVS S8 and after comics. The comics greatly sullied Buffy/Angel.

* This forum isn't over-representative of Buffy/Spike 'shippers.

If anything, I remember when there were 2 very-vocal and very 'prominent' Buffy/Xander 'shippers among the regulars. THAT was over-representative of Buffy/Xander 'shippers.

Spike/Drusilla is one of the most popular 'ships.

* Forums aren't dying. It's simply that the Trump era takes attention away from spending hours weekly (or daily) discussing a TV series.

Fandom is very much alive. If anything, fandom is bigger than ever. During Avengers: Endgame the audience ERUPTED when Captain America wielded Thor's Hammer. The audience knew about the Captain America thing.

* I've said since 2005 A.D. on Boards that money was the main obstacle for doing a BtVS movie, mini-series, TV series, etc. I'm still hoping for a cartoon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,813 Times in 5,723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Now I do have to admit that the current game doesn't appeal to me for another reason, and that is that I'm not invested enough in just the endings of episodes. ^^ I'm sorry.
    Fair enough.

Agreed about a good mix being ideal. But I don't really think a great mix is still possible with the current amount of active players. Plus the risk that people who are in the minority, stop playing because all they can do is hold up the game by being the lone warrior.
    I think there can be more dissent within a group of 'similar' interest ship/character fan preference than you might expect at times. But I can see why if you found yourself often having a notably different opinion you could feel somewhat isolated. I'd just like to say though that I'd love to give a go to any game that you'd find interesting to do as I'd like to encourage more members joining in and trying to get the diversity that we do have better represented (with the hope that it would just increase as/when we get new members).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Being brutally honest and quoting (more or less) Vampmogs: I’m just sick to death of talking about Buffy. I feel it has been discussed ad nauseam and I don’t feel I ever read anything new or that I have anything new to contribute either.

I'm more interested in the new comics; they are something else than my Buffy, but at least they are... new.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (03-06-19),flow (02-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 832 Posts

The two groups I belong to have interesting discussions. Though individual replies tend to be shorter, the entire conversation is usually longer. They are both closed groups - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (there's an open group with that name infested with trolls) and Buffy The Vampire Slayer Studies. Topics we have dealt with recently are - Is Robin Wood an Agent of the First, Cavemen vs Astronauts, Was Buffy hypocritical for not going after Glory when Tara was hurt, Faith - that one branched into several areas, God in the Whedonverse, Angel's Appearance in Chosen, Drusilla, and then there is a lot of fannish tumblr stuff.

Typical great conversation starter: Emotionally, Buffy’s death was Joyce’s multiplied by 1000. We see intricate and powerful detail of the reactions regarding Joyce, which is partly to help us understand what must have happened, again in far greater magnitude, when Buffy died. We, the audience, could only tolerate that horror because most of the reactions were off camera, we had the comic relief of the Buffybot, and Buffy’s death (for us) lasted less than an episode. There are some really interesting posters here - just enough to keep a good flow at all times.

Fb groups are not all as light as people seem to believe. There is less depth to the conversations, but brevity is sometimes a good thing. The positive side is that there are multiple new topics each day, the brisk reply pace, and the active moderation. If anyone wants to join either - apply and forgodssake answer the damn question. It's how we weed out trolls and non fans. I am a mod on the Studies group but very little active moderation is needed. If a discussion gets too heated replies are turned off. If a person doesn't follow the rules - attacks another member, trolls, etc - they get the boot. There's over 700 people in the smaller group, and maybe 40 active posters.

I pretty much left the board after the game debacle. I was kind of unsatisfied leaving the game, and it was also what pulled me onto the board. I don't like the new game all that much and I think getting rid of it was overreacting. A stern warning would have been enough, IMO. I do come back on a regular basis but the conversations seem to be mostly about the comics.There's a lot of Spuffy, and while I don't ship them I sometimes read Spuffy fanfic. In fact, I think I read every Spike pairing. So I don't mind Spuffy - I just get bored with Spuffy comic analysis.

Looking over the main page of the General Forum and the Buffy forum I see a lot of topics that have nothing to do with Spuffy. In fact, for general discussion I would say that there's no real shipping preference. Conversations do sometimes tend to have a sort of knee jerk defense of Spuffy which can pull a topic off, however. I tend to get passionate - the recent Faith thread is an example. So I kinda feel like a thread killer, actually. Mine is the last post in too many controversial threads. At this age I am not going to change all that much but I was beginning to feel like a damper on the good threads.

Forums may be on their way out, but when this forum is really rolling, I love it. IMO, it's the best way to discuss in depth, and there can be terrific ideas expressed that give me a whole new view of a character or situation. I think Spuffy and comics are the default mode here. That's okay but it doesn't challenge me. I've sorta given up on posting other threads overall because they frequently don't get much response. That's not an indictment in any way, just an acknowledgement that things that interest me don't always interest others.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (03-06-19),Priceless (03-06-19),Silver1 (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 824 Posts

I'll just share my own perspective on this

I personally don't care about the shipping preferences of other posters at all - as long as we're discussing the show in a polite way. I like all the members on this forum - everybody's pretty civil and great to talk to - and I enjoy reading everyone's alternate views/ posts - particularly when the forum is more active. I don't need anyone to see the show the same way I do, or ship the same ship I do or even like it. And I would equally love to have conversations with non-Spuffies as much as with Spuffies. Even amidst Spuffy shippers, there's a great deal of difference with how one can individually view the same ship, so it's not necessarily a hugely uniting factor.

I'm newish to fandom and I've not spent a lot of years in online fandom discussing this show, so for me, Buffy is a topic that doesn't feel exhaustively discussed at this stage. Not for me anyway, maybe I'll feel like that some years from now. In addition, I'm also new-ish to the comics, because I never read them till only a few months back, right before S12 came out - that's 5 seasons of new stuff to digest (I realise the comics aren't of interest to a great many posters, so I generally only discuss it within a smaller group.)

But for me, discussing the show doesn't feel worn out or threadbare because I never discussed anything Buffy related with other Buffy fans before joining BuffyBoards around a year or two back - and then joining this forum after. I instantly loved the rewatches and the depth of discussion here. There's tons of stuff I'd still like to discuss and learn about the show and understand deeper. The rewatches are a big draw to me for that reason - even when they're not active, going back to prior seasons and reading about specific episodes is fascinating. I've dipped into academic essays/ books about the show since I first watched it, but I just went on living life and somehow never really got around to joining an online forum to specifically discuss Buffy. Reading an essay or a book is just not the same as actively engaging with other fans.

Having said that, I'm often hesitant to post my opinions on larger BtVS topics on here for the obverse reason: I don't want to offend non-Spuffies with my views on different seasons/ episodes if it ends up accidentally opposing the majority opinion or offending anyone.

So I ended up joining reddit a while back and recently posted a pretty lengthy, involved thread related to an early season (questions+thoughts+opinions) that I wasn't sure I could comfortably post here, because a) I didn't want to clash with anyone, and b) I'd genuinely like to learn and revise my opinion on things, but without it becoming a contentious issue. I know certain seasons are less popular (certainly with other posters in this forum - the general impression I get is that the later seasons aren't all that popular with many on the forum) while the earlier seasons are more popular. I'm aware that my love for certain seasons might invariably be reduced to "you're a spuffy so that's why you probably like this season" (which isn't personally the case for me) but I didn't want to get into all that so I avoided posting anything on this board.

Mostly, I enjoy visiting the reaction videos threads, because I like discussing the reactions with others. To be completely honest, I'm wary of discussing the seasons here freely because I'm kind of worn out by really strong negative opinions about the later seasons. This in no way relates to anyone in particular, btw. Just want to make that clear. It's just a trend in general with the way the later seasons are criticised and while I definitely can agree with a lot of criticisms towards them, it's the all-or-nothing nature of these summations of the late seasons that makes me wary of posting more freely about various episodes/ seasons. I'm only mentioning it since this is a thread where we're airing our different perspectives, certainly not as a complaint and definitely not directed at anyone in particular, just trying to be really honest. The unfortunate truth of it is that often any discussion of later seasons invariably turns into some version of a shipper debate.

Additionally: I enjoy engaging with ships/ shipping, just because it's an interesting component of the show for me, and that's because I've always enjoyed discussing relationships in literature, TV, film - that's not something I want to suppress or feel guilty about because it's always been a specific interest of mine and not because I'm going to turn into a rabid dissenter if anyone happens to disagree with me lol. I hate unpleasantness in general - the whole point of fandom is to bond out over mutual love for a show. I've definitely witnessed massive amounts of Spuffy-bashing and open Spuffy-shipper hate and prejudice elsewhere, and in general I think shipper-labelling and hate of any kind is really unnecessary when it shouldn't have to matter. We all have certain likes and dislikes and individual preferences and biases when approaching a show, but I don't think shipping necessarily turns your brain cells off or completely robs you of objectivity. There's always the mode of: "here's where my personal/ subjective/ shipper opinion comes in, and here's where an objective reading of this scene/ episode/ topic/ season comes in" etc.

I feel really bad that there's an apparently oppressive majority of Spuffy shippers on this forum (if that is the case) and hope that changes soon to include way more members with diverse shipping preferences and views so everyone feels there's more of a balance.

My 2 cents. I hope we can somehow generate a lot more diversity in opinions/ threads/ ships and an increase in members (of all shipping persuasions) into this forum.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 03-06-19 at 09:33 AM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-19),Double Dutchess (03-06-19),GoSpuffy (03-06-19),Priceless (03-06-19),Silver1 (03-06-19),TriBel (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,701 Posts

I feel a bit sad that there are so many people here who think their posts are not needed or wanted on this board. At the same time I have to say that I have felt like this before too. It has absolutely nothing to do with shipper opinions. But there are many people here who just know so much more about this show than I do and express everything I could say so much better. I am not intimidated by it but I sometimes think that I do not have to contribute something that could be that interesting to a long time BtVS fand.

I also sometimes have to think about a post, a thread or a topic for a while before I can come back and reply to it. It often happens to me that the thread has by then disappeared and the discussion has moved on to other threads and I just think "Oh, who cares?". That is something that has especially happened to me regarding ghoststar`s threads. They were often deep and unusal and I was reading and thinking and re-reading and re-thinking and - bingo - the thread had disappeared into the Nirwana of this forums dated user Interface.

To end on a different note though - I think what most people have agreed on is that this forum is mostly civilized and people get along with each other, no matter what preferences they have for characters. pairings or seasons. Maybe we can focus on this as a strength and positive of this place and try to build up on that.

I really want to see this place thriving and even if we can't defeat other - newer - social media places we can still try to coexist with them and not just fade away.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-19),Double Dutchess (03-06-19),GoSpuffy (03-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    I'll just share my own perspective on this

I personally don't care about the shipping preferences of other posters at all - as long as we're discussing the show in a polite way. I like all the members on this forum - everybody's pretty civil and great to talk to - and I enjoy reading everyone's alternate views/ posts - particularly when the forum is more active. I don't need anyone to see the show the same way I do, or ship the same ship I do or even like it. And I would equally love to have conversations with non-Spuffies as much as with Spuffies. Even amidst Spuffy shippers, there's a great deal of difference with how one can individually view the same ship, so it's not necessarily a hugely uniting factor.

I'm newish to fandom and I've not spent a lot of years in online fandom discussing this show, so for me, Buffy is a topic that doesn't feel exhaustively discussed at this stage. Not for me anyway, maybe I'll feel like that some years from now. In addition, I'm also new-ish to the comics, because I never read them till only a few months back, right before S12 came out - that's 5 seasons of new stuff to digest (I realise the comics aren't of interest to a great many posters, so I generally only discuss it within a smaller group.)

But for me, discussing the show doesn't feel worn out or threadbare because I never discussed anything Buffy related with other Buffy fans before joining BuffyBoards around a year or two back - and then joining this forum after. I instantly loved the rewatches and the depth of discussion here. There's tons of stuff I'd still like to discuss and learn about the show and understand deeper. The rewatches are a big draw to me for that reason - even when they're not active, going back to prior seasons and reading about specific episodes is fascinating. I've dipped into academic essays/ books about the show since I first watched it, but I just went on living life and somehow never really got around to joining an online forum to specifically discuss Buffy. Reading an essay or a book is just not the same as actively engaging with other fans.

Having said that, I'm often hesitant to post my opinions on larger BtVS topics on here for the obverse reason: I don't want to offend non-Spuffies with my views on different seasons/ episodes if it ends up accidentally opposing the majority opinion or offending anyone.

So I ended up joining reddit a while back and recently posted a pretty lengthy, involved thread related to an early season (questions+thoughts+opinions) that I wasn't sure I could comfortably post here, because a) I didn't want to clash with anyone, and b) I'd genuinely like to learn and revise my opinion on things, but without it becoming a contentious issue. I know certain seasons are less popular (certainly with other posters in this forum - the general impression I get is that the later seasons aren't all that popular with many on the forum) while the earlier seasons are more popular. I'm aware that my love for certain seasons might invariably be reduced to "you're a spuffy so that's why you probably like this season" (which isn't personally the case for me) but I didn't want to get into all that so I avoided posting anything on this board.

Mostly, I enjoy visiting the reaction videos threads, because I like discussing the reactions with others. To be completely honest, I'm wary of discussing the seasons here freely because I'm kind of worn out by really strong negative opinions about the later seasons. This in no way relates to anyone in particular, btw. Just want to make that clear. It's just a trend in general with the way the later seasons are criticised and while I definitely can agree with a lot of criticisms towards them, it's the all-or-nothing nature of these summations of the late seasons that makes me wary of posting more freely about various episodes/ seasons. I'm only mentioning it since this is a thread where we're airing our different perspectives, certainly not as a complaint and definitely not directed at anyone in particular, just trying to be really honest. The unfortunate truth of it is that often any discussion of later seasons invariably turns into some version of a shipper debate.

Additionally: I enjoy engaging with ships/ shipping, just because it's an interesting component of the show for me, and that's because I've always enjoyed discussing relationships in literature, TV, film - that's not something I want to suppress or feel guilty about because it's always been a specific interest of mine and not because I'm going to turn into a rabid dissenter if anyone happens to disagree with me lol. I hate unpleasantness in general - the whole point of fandom is to bond out over mutual love for a show. I've definitely witnessed massive amounts of Spuffy-bashing and open Spuffy-shipper hate and prejudice elsewhere, and in general I think shipper-labelling and hate of any kind is really unnecessary when it shouldn't have to matter. We all have certain likes and dislikes and individual preferences and biases when approaching a show, but I don't think shipping necessarily turns your brain cells off or completely robs you of objectivity. There's always the mode of: "here's where my personal/ subjective/ shipper opinion comes in, and here's where an objective reading of this scene/ episode/ topic/ season comes in" etc.

I feel really bad that there's an apparently oppressive majority of Spuffy shippers on this forum (if that is the case) and hope that changes soon to include way more members with diverse shipping preferences and views so everyone feels there's more of a balance.

My 2 cents. I hope we can somehow generate a lot more diversity in opinions/ threads/ ships and an increase in members (of all shipping persuasions) into this forum.
    This is me exactly except for the Reddit part.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,813 Times in 5,723 Posts

You all should most definitely post threads that you think of or replies, regardless of whether or not the thread has gone quiet. There are a few ways to search and recover threads. I personally subscribe to all the threads I'm interested in so new posts are highlighted through my UserCP and by going to 'Quick Links' - 'Subscribed Threads' I can always search through any that I once added to my list. But you can also go in through the main headings on the 'Forum' and enter a subsection to see the most recent threads posted in it.

I would just like to see more members and more participation and if there was a magic formula to draw people in I'd do it. But my available time gets more and more constricted and so I tend to prioritise contributing in certain areas. I think if people still have questions and areas of interest within BtVS they'd like to discuss and explore it would be a real shame if they don't do it here for fear of not meeting some perceived requirement. Being lucky enough to gain members that still want to discuss the show is what we're hoping for and if people on here are already doing it comfortably and regardless of any preferences etc then it shows that this is a place that that can happen if people happen by and we might draw in more. Unless we manage to encourage it then it just won't ever pick up again as much as it could, even whilst accepting that the format is becoming less popular.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-19),flow (03-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I also sometimes have to think about a post, a thread or a topic for a while before I can come back and reply to it. It often happens to me that the thread has by then disappeared and the discussion has moved on to other threads and I just think "Oh, who cares?".
    This (or something like it) happens to me a lot as well. I do read most of the things that get posted, and I think of replies, but by the time I get around to logging in and actually posting something there are already too many new posts to reply to, and I don't have the time to go digging up old threads and reply to them. Sadly it's just impossible for me to keep up, even with the relatively low traffic the forum gets these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 832 Posts

One thing that is truly special about this place is that we can discuss things so openly and honestly. I don't want to lose that.

Obviously we care about the board - the community. And several of us have been unsure about posting...for the good of the board, or because we are unsure of what we have to say. I suppose that's really kind of an individual thing.

Ironically, I actually lost this thread. I came back a few times to read it but I didn't remember the title right. Luckily I had posted in it so I finally realized it was simpler to go back in my own history. Do you think out creator ever comes to visit us? I mean someone is paying for the board to exist.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-06-19),Silver1 (04-06-19)