Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge 81: Technical - Pen tool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 489 Posts

I've installed the plugin and I'm now able to conjure up the pen tool. I'll start experimenting with it tonight.

@buffylover: with the plugin I can now do tracking too!

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Which tool did you use instead of The Pen Tool? Is there another tool that does a similar thing, that you prefer? I'm very new to Photoshop and I know nothing!
    What I normally do is copy the layer I want to cut something from, add a layer in a contrasting colour below it, and then use the eraser (in combination with selection tools) to remove the background.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (04-06-19),Priceless (04-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (06-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,612 Times in 3,639 Posts

Thanks Double Dutchess, I'll give that a try too, just to see the difference and which feels easier to me

Thanks

Just one word of warning: I think using the eraser will not work that well if you have to control it using the mouse. It will be less comfortable and less precise. I should have mentioned that I do this using my drawing tablet.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (06-06-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 443 Posts

Pen tool also can create shapes and silhouettes.

I have been working on this banner set for a long time. It's a video game called "Fallout 76" and I'm loving the environment and sounding also the atmosphere.

I wanted to try and capture a sense of illustrative and vibrant vibe because the game does that really well. Connecting to the colour scheme of the game.

It's my character.

“Welcome to West Virginia”

Credits;
    All mine,

Until next time,

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Nina (04-06-19),Priceless (04-06-19),Silver1 (06-06-19),Stoney (04-06-19),TriBel (06-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,612 Times in 3,639 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Just one word of warning: I think using the eraser will not work that well if you have to control it using the mouse. It will be less comfortable and less precise. I should have mentioned that I do this using my drawing tablet.
    Thank you DD. I work on a computer with a mouse, so I will still try the eraser with full knowledge that it might not go too well

Thanks
    Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,254 Posts

Okay, this is a bit of a weird graphic by me. It's mildly inspired on those cheesy promo's tv shows had in the past. But it's nothing more than that.

bigger version

resources: Daydreaming, PNGarts, Zugma, TL, Krakograff & Poison Drop.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (04-06-19),Priceless (04-06-19),Silver1 (06-06-19),Stoney (04-06-19),TriBel (06-06-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

I found this little neat tutorial we could try out. {here}

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (06-06-19),Nina (07-06-19),Priceless (06-06-19),Silver1 (06-06-19),Stoney (06-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,778 Times in 5,274 Posts

Wow that tutorial is really great. Arrgh I wish I didn't struggle so much for time at the moment. That combined with the fact everything takes me an age to do means I probably won't get to try this as well as doing the piece for Cordelia I have in mind. I haven't even successfully found all my shots yet, though I've tried. If I get the chance I'll try this, but I'm not hopeful that I will. I hope some of you can.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-06-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Yes, I'm going to try this out because I find it really distinctive and very illustrative.

Stoney, I really hope you get the chance to start your Cordelia piece. If you need any help with the screencaps I'm always happy to help.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (06-06-19)

Thanks

That's really thoughtful of you buffylover and is very much appreciated. It is just finding what I want at the moment and scooting through episodes to get inspiration. I may well shout out if I'm having problems when I finally have a better idea of what I'm trying to get.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with that tutorial, it looked like a lovely effect to achieve.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-06-19)

Thanks

That tutorial looks really nice! What I'm not 100% clear on though is why it requires use of the pen tool. Why not use the brushes directly?

Thanks

I'm guessing, if you create the line with the pen tool you can adjust the curve and tweak/pull it around more readily than any changes you would do having created a brush line (but that might just be proving that I don't know the flexibility of brushes well ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I'm guessing, if you create the line with the pen tool you can adjust the curve and tweak/pull it around more readily than any changes you would do having created a brush line (but that might just be proving that I don't know the flexibility of brushes well ).
    I don't think you can do that with brushes* so that might well be it.

*Not that my knowledge about them is superior to yours; we could certainly both be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,254 Posts

While I didn't follow the tutorial buffylover posted, it did inspire me to draw with the tool.

Silence

I created all the shapes with the pen tool and after that I used a brush to smudge it. I've also used a brush for some small things like her lashes.

reference

Resources: Zugma, Planets Bend Between Us, Evenstarss & AaronGriffinart for the brush.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (08-06-19),Double Dutchess (08-06-19),Priceless (08-06-19),Stoney (08-06-19),TriBel (08-06-19)

Thanks

Here's the result of my first attempt at using the pen tool. I used it to cut out both Illyrias and to create a path for the text (thanks to Priceless for the idea). I also wanted to use it to cut out the octopus, but since it was on a black background it was much more efficient to just use the selection tool for that.

I have to say, I struggled a lot with the pen tool and still haven't quite got the hang of it. I messed up quite a lot, in particular with the smaller Illyria figure. (I added the stroke to camouflage the parts where the selection was not accurate ) I used the eraser to cut out the "holes" in Illyrias hair and didn't even try to use the pen tool for that. I expect that with practice, working with the pen tool will get easier and more intuitive, but right now it's not a contender for replacing my regular method for making cutouts.

Full-size version here.

Credits: Illyria screencaps by me. Octopus photo by Brian Gratwicke.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (10-06-19),Nina (10-06-19),Priceless (10-06-19),Stoney (10-06-19),TriBel (10-06-19)