Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffy the vampire slayer: The chosen ones

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 763 Posts

Default Buffy the vampire slayer: The chosen ones

All New Slayers Make First Appearance in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1

BOOM! Studios has announced an oversized one-shot comic book BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 that will debut on August 28, 2019, in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products.

Buffy Summers is the “Chosen One” who must defend Sunnydale from vampires, demons and those regular monsters called high schoolers…but she wasn’t the first. Now, discover the first full appearances of the Slayers from past eras first seen on special variants covers to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER in this landmark one-shot.

In 18th century California, a young woman discovers she’s the Chosen One and changes the course of Slayer history forever, in a new story from writer Mairghread Scott (Batgirl) and artist Ornella Savarese, that also reveals the hidden origins of the Hellmouth; the new Slayer first seen on the cover to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #2 comes to life in 14th century Italy from writer and artist Celia Lowenthal (Over The Garden Wall: Hollow Town), and more.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 features a main cover by illustrator Evan Cagle, along with a variant cover by artist Helen Yoon featuring a Slayer from 16th century Marusthali, India and a cover by artist Alexa Sharpe (Rolled and Told).

“Buffy might be the Slayer you know best, but she’s not the only incredible woman to be a Chosen One—and you’re getting the first appearance of three new Slayers in this issue, as well as the never-before-seen origins of the Sunnydale Hellmouth!” said Jeanine Schaefer, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios. “Mairghread, Ornella, Celia, and Alexa dig into the secret origins of these important characters from the past who’ll have a huge impact on Buffy’s future!”

Buffy The Vampire Slayer premiered on the WB Network on March 10th, 1997. The Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997-2003, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” Chosen to battle vampires, demons and other forces of darkness, Buffy is aided by a Watcher who guides and teaches her as she surrounds herself with a circle of friends called the “Scooby Gang.”

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the newest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to critically acclaimed original series, including Once & Future by Kieron Gillen and Dan Mora; Faithless by Brian Azzarello and Maria Llovet; Abbott from Saladin Ahmed and Sami Kivelä; Bury The Lede from Gaby Dunn and Claire Roe; Grass Kings from Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins; and Klaus from Grant Morrison and Dan Mora. The imprint also publishes popular licensed properties including Joss Whedon’s Firefly from Greg Pak and Dan McDaid; Angel from Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov; and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Ryan Parrott and Danielle Di Nicuolo.

Print copies of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 will be available for sale on August 28, 2019 exclusively at local comic book shops (use comicshoplocator.com to find the nearest one) or at the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and the BOOM! Studios app.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (21-05-19),Priceless (20-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (29-08-19),Stoney (21-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,901 Times in 4,284 Posts

Can't help thinking BOOM are trying to make as much money out of this franchise as is humanly possible

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Alce (20-05-19),Lostsoul666 (05-09-19),Silver1 (20-05-19),TriBel (21-05-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Can't help thinking BOOM are trying to make as much money out of this franchise as is humanly possible
    Buffy is their best selling comic. Buffy and Firefly are the only BOOM comics in top 100 by sales numbers in April. No wonder they want to milk it while there is interest to it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

Yes before the quality of the writing gets so poor people start wandering away.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-05-19)

Thanks

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I can't see many people buying this comic. It doesn't feature Buffy and isn't part of Whedon's canon. Although there is a chance it may feature Spike, Dru or Angel.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (21-05-19),TriBel (21-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I can't see many people buying this comic. It doesn't feature Buffy and isn't part of Whedon's canon. Although there is a chance it may feature Spike, Dru or Angel.
    I'm not buying it - they're beginning to wind me up. I'm not that interested and I've got Tales of the Slayers. I'm half expecting them to re-introduce DH Buffy and use the AU excuse. I'm gonna buy Gainham's Lucifer...Lucifer's the new Spike!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-05-19),Silver1 (21-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,825 Times in 868 Posts

If they're going to produce books, I really don't get why they don't produce show canon-compliant, fill-in-the-blank type stuff. Giles and Willow have an adventure in England. Buffy, Xander and Dawn kicking around Sunnydale.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-05-19),TriBel (21-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,829 Times in 5,729 Posts

Yeah, I'm not buying something like this that isn't canon. A reimagining of the characters as an AU is a fun read to pick up, but padding out imagined non canon details of the hellmouth and past slayers doesn't interest me.

Obviously all those variant covers were the lead in and this was all very planned but there is just so much all the time. It does leave me feeling that they don't have confidence in what they are producing overall and expect it to be of brief interest just because they are throwing so much out at once over the top of each other. I'm waiting on a TPB of Angel to be announced to order and now there is yet another thing come out. For me this has exposed that the barrage of promotion and self congratulatory marketing has just creating interest fatigue.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-05-19),TriBel (21-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 2,829 Posts

I'm certainly not suggesting people should buy this comic as thus far I've been pretty unimpressed by what BOOM has had to offer but they're really not doing anything out of the ordinary here. Both Darkhorse and IDW used to do one-shot comics and spinoff comics all the time. For instance, this is pretty similar to the "Tales of the Slayers" comics Darkhorse produced years ago.

It was always incredibly unlikely that BOOM would still to only one comic series. And now that it's their best selling licence it was pretty much a given that they'd produce other miniseries or one-shot comics as well. I'd be questioning their business sense if they had such a lucrative property and didn't try and exploit it. I agree that they may end up over-saturating the market but this is just standard practice.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (21-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

vampmogs.

I'd be questioning their business sense if they had such a lucrative property and didn't try and exploit it. I agree that they may end up over-saturating the market but this is just standard practice.
    Yeah...I'm not questioning their business sense...just refusing to subscribe to their overt fetishization of the commodity. If they want me to "desire" something they need to adopt a more covert approach. As it stands, their idea of subtle is a house-brick in a sock.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-05-19),Silver1 (21-05-19)

Thanks

Has anyone read this comic yet?

The Mission - a story of colonisation and the colonisers inherent racism as a metaphor for vampire infestation, which worked really well I thought. I liked that the story was set in Sunnydale and there was talk of The Council and Watchers and all the things we recognise from Buffy. I like how this slayer resents the Spanish Watcher (who is written to sound very English I think). It is odd that a group of vampires, who were monks, see the Native Americans as made by god to be eaten, that they somehow deserve it because they are godless. It would appear that these monks kept their attachment to their catholisism even after death.

The Eating Of Men - Firstly, I love the title. Set in 14th Century Italy, although the writing is completely anachronistic. Odd story, of which I sort of lost the thread. I don't understand why her bleeding hand alerted her to her fathers death?

Behind The Mask - The setting seems to be more important than the non-existent story. It's just a slayer killing a vampire, there's not much more to it than that. I preferred the art in this one to the other two, by Alexa Sharp.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Willow from Buffy (02-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 423 Posts

This was fairly good.

The ending of "The Mission" mixes famous speeches from Buffy and Angel. The idea of wanting to live free, even if eventual colonisation is inevitable, seems in concordance with Angel's existentialism. Living free may not mean anything in the long run, but it is meaningful here and now. I love the pun of the title.

I didn't find the dialogue of "The Eating Of Men" anachronistic. I am sure mother's have given these kinds of speeches to their daughters since time immemorial. I think the blood alerted Silvia to her nanny's double-speak. There were some hints earlier that the nanny actually spoke about eating men, and the man-eater is on Silvia's mind.

Just like in the last story, we meet a vampire who justifies her actions. This time it is a monstrous feminist, which is kinda weird. The moral of this story is less obvious than that of the first one.

At the end of the story, Silvia is approached by a female watcher. The watchers are obviously a patriarchal society. In other words, Silvia kills the monstrous feminist and becomes the pupil of a woman who works for the watcher's council. Yay..?

I agree with Priceless that the last story is weak. The art is interesting, but it is just a day in the life of a veteran slayer. It is the kind of scene we see in almost every BtVS episode, just with fancy dress.

I hope this series will have recurring characters and setting, creating a large slayer universe.
    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 02-09-19 at 07:54 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-09-19)

Thanks

I actually found all the dialogue anachronistic, but The Man Eater was the worst.

'You're really hung up on this aren't you?' - I don't believe anyone spoke like that in 14th century Italy. I'm not asking for the writing to be medieval, but phrases like that really took me out of the story. Why set it in a very specific place and time, and not show any respect for it? Seems like this story could have been set anywhere at any time, which makes the think the writer didn't really care about it as they couldn't be bothered to put any effort or thought into it.

I don't think the Nanny is meant to be a monstrous feminist. She says things like 'You'll make the world think I raised you as a little beastie and not a girl' because Silvia is muddy - that's really the antithesis of feminism and of the Slayers. I think the Nanny is trying to encourage Silvia to use her womanly wiles on men, not learn to fight with swords. Although she is giving some very mixed signals and the writing isn't great, so it could be read either way. I agree, the moral of the story got a bit lost.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-09-19),Willow from Buffy (02-09-19)

Thanks

They needed to make the 2nd & 3rd stories longer. The artwork in the middle story was way too red.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-09-19)

Thanks

I actually found all the dialogue anachronistic, but The Man Eater was the worst.

'You're really hung up on this aren't you?' - I don't believe anyone spoke like that in 14th century Italy. I'm not asking for the writing to be medieval, but phrases like that really took me out of the story. Why set it in a very specific place and time, and not show any respect for it? Seems like this story could have been set anywhere at any time, which makes the think the writer didn't really care about it as they couldn't be bothered to put any effort or thought into it.

I don't think the Nanny is meant to be a monstrous feminist. She says things like 'You'll make the world think I raised you as a little beastie and not a girl' because Silvia is muddy - that's really the antithesis of feminism and of the Slayers. I think the Nanny is trying to encourage Silvia to use her womanly wiles on men, not learn to fight with swords. Although she is giving some very mixed signals and the writing isn't great, so it could be read either way. I agree, the moral of the story got a bit lost.
    I thought you meant the content. I guess both the style and the content are a bit anachronistic. However, we don't know how people spoke in 14th century Italy, and the story is written in modern English. If you keep it free of slang and colloquialism, it may end up sounding very haughty, which wouldn't be Whedonesque.

The nanny is subtly grooming Silvia to become a man-eater. Her goal is to create female vampires, so they can feed on the men and turn the balance of power between the sexes on its head. It's an odd choice for a BtVS villain.

Buffy fights a lot of misogynist men. She also fights some powerful women, but none of these women (Darla, Faith, Sunday, Glory, etc) are on some quest to emancipate womenkind. These women are always the only women in their group, and they are completely selfish.

So, Silvia ends up opposing her nanny's quest for female empowerment, mourns her patriarch father is met by a female representative of the very patriarchal Watcher's Council. It feels very strange for a BtVS story.

"The Mission" has an indigenous woman of colour fighting racist, misogynist colonisers. There's no moral ambiguity there.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-09-19)

Thanks

I thought you meant the content. I guess both the style and the content are a bit anachronistic. However, we don't know how people spoke in 14th century Italy, and the story is written in modern English. If you keep it free of slang and colloquialism, it may end up sounding very haughty, which wouldn't be Whedonesque.
    I also forgot it was aimed at kids

The nanny is subtly grooming Silvia to become a man-eater. Her goal is to create female vampires, so they can feed on the men and turn the balance of power between the sexes on its head. It's an odd choice for a BtVS villain.
    Possibly, but then the writing is even more odd, because a vampire doesn't need to groom. All the Nanny need do is bite Silvia, the bite is the grooming. But I agree it is a very odd choice for a villain and a confusing message.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-09-19)

Thanks

Possibly, but then the writing is even more odd, because a vampire doesn't need to groom. All the Nanny need do is bite Silvia, the bite is the grooming.
    She's grooming her into becoming a vampire who only feeds on men, similarly to how the Spanish vampires want to feed on natives.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-09-19)

Thanks

Thought this was a one & done issue? Someone mentioned it being a (mini) series?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Thought this was a one & done issue? Someone mentioned it being a (mini) series?
    Knowing Boom, it will be a series.

Thanks

Is it going be ongoing with same characters or an anthology?