Thread: Star Trek - The Next Generation

Thanks
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

Default Star Trek - The Next Generation

I thought I'd start a thread as I am doing a re-watch at the moment.

Does anyone know why Tasha Yar's character was killed off? Was that always the intention or did something happen during the run of the season?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,041 Posts

I believe It was because the actress wanted out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,456 Posts

I always found Picard sooo boring. All of his crew too.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (18-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 853 Posts

I tried to do a rewatch and found the show really dated and didn't end up finishing. I absolutely loved it when it was on air and was surprised not to have the same feelings. I rewatched Vogageur and Enterprise just fine. I didn't like them as much as TNG when they were first on but found them much easier to rewatch.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Voyager was always my favourite. TNG is from the 80's so I expected it to be dated, but some eps are so on the nose, I couldn't finish them. There's a lot of 'female empowerment' stuff - with the Ferangi not allowing their women to wear clothes, and Yar being a figure of amazement for other races who don't believe a woman should hold rank. All that is a bit wearisome.

Wesley is also a bug bear. He's not a great actor and his charm does't work on me. I like Picard and Data the most. Picard seems to have a lot of out of body adventures, and I didn't remember that Data's past was unknown at the start of the show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I believe It was because the actress wanted out.
    Do you know why? Was she just unhappy in general? I don't remember seeing the actor in anything else ever again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (18-05-19)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Voyager was my fave too. Never cared for next gen or DS9. Always felt that they kinda missed the boat with Enterprise. Thought it had a great premise and a good cast (save for Mayweather), but got bogged down in that insipid temporal cold war story line.

Thanks

Watched about two eps of Enterprise, it just didn't grip me. DS9 was ok, but nowhere near as good as Voyager.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 853 Posts

The best thing about enterprise was scott Bakula, very easy on the eyes.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-05-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 657 Posts

I used to watch TNG and DS9 when I was a kid/teen and I liked it a lot and now...I mean, I can still enjoy it but whenever I consume Star Trek anything I always feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with it. Humanity/Federation is a utopia with all this incredible technology - FTL space ships, AI, instantaneous communication, replicators etc and yet Starfleet is this completely pointless, inefficient, antiquated, bureaucratic joke. Why does it even exist? Why do you need Enterprise? Why does it have a crew and what do all those people actually do? Just build a thousand smaller ships, put some androids into them or whatever and fly them remotely. It's safer, it's smarter, it's efficient. It feels like Starfleet exists just because some nerds want to l.a.r.p. space military and have sex with aliens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I used to watch TNG and DS9 when I was a kid/teen and I liked it a lot and now...I mean, I can still enjoy it but whenever I consume Star Trek anything I always feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with it. Humanity/Federation is a utopia with all this incredible technology - FTL space ships, AI, instantaneous communication, replicators etc and yet Starfleet is this completely pointless, inefficient, antiquated, bureaucratic joke. Why does it even exist? Why do you need Enterprise? Why does it have a crew and what do all those people actually do? Just build a thousand smaller ships, put some androids into them or whatever and fly them remotely. It's safer, it's smarter, it's efficient. It feels like Starfleet exists just because some nerds want to l.a.r.p. space military and have sex with aliens.
    I do see what you are saying, and it does make sense. But it also forgets the adventurous nature of man. It's a story about building an Empire, but in a nice non-evasive way, getting everyone to agree to join the Federation and that being their choice and 'a good thing'. I'm probably showing my age, but we were taught that it was the individuals need for excitement, adventure, and pushing the boundaries of their personal knowledge (and of course amassing great wealth) that made the British Empire possible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    The best thing about enterprise was scott Bakula, very easy on the eyes.
    Never did anything for me. Hoshi on the other hand...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,678 Times in 2,206 Posts

The first two seasons of TNG are some of the worst in TV history. The second one has one great episode (Measure of a Man) and maybe a couple of OK one, but also a lot of utterly terrible ones. Season 1 is terrible from start to finish and has several really embarrassing episodes.

TNG's popularity and reputation comes from the later seasons, when the show matured and changed a lot.

DS9 was my favorite and had the best cast of characters, best character development and best ongoing storylines (and was most serialized).

Voyager was disappointing. Great premise, never did much with it.

Enterprise had really bad first two seasons, then got better when Berman and Braga let other writers have more/most of the control, and it was on the upswing when it was cancelled.. then Berman and Braga came back to write a really terrible series finale.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-05-19)

Thanks

The first two seasons of TNG are some of the worst in TV history. The second one has one great episode (Measure of a Man) and maybe a couple of OK one, but also a lot of utterly terrible ones. Season 1 is terrible from start to finish and has several really embarrassing episodes.
    There were a few episodes I just couldn't watch, When The Bough Breaks, Angel One, Haven, Justice and Code of Honour. But the rest were okay, though nothing amazing. I put that down to the show being so old, starting in 1987. The set design really surprised me, as it could have fitted perfectly into the original 1960's show. It felt like nothing had moved on. I am looking forward to Season 2 and seeing an improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember having fond memories of DS9, but I'll probably rewatch that one too, as I'm on Star Trek jag at the moment.

Thanks

Feel almost the opposite of Bunny. Sorta agree on next gen, but would include entire series. I didn't care for DS9. Voyager's my fave of the bunch. Was disappointed in Enterprise, but still kinda liked it. To me Enterprise had the best premise and mostly good cast. However, the whole temporal cold war really dragged it down. Wouldn't mind if they rebooted that, actually. Take the premise (bout 100 years before original series). Same characters that don't all get along like most the later series (post original), leave out the time travel & borg. I do like Discovery as well (especially the S2).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-05-19)

Thanks

I think I've just heard Picard say 'make it so' for the first time! (Season 2 Ep12 The Royale)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (22-05-19),Silver1 (22-05-19)

Thanks

The Mayor, Richard Wilkins III, is on Star Trek

- - - Updated - - -

Reg Barclay has arrived! I remember him best from Voyager and he was always a great character.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (26-05-19)

Thanks

S4 Ep 16 - Geordie is an absolute incel in this and we're meant to be on his side as he emotionally blackmails a fellow scientist, shouts at her and blames her for not being his friend, when he's created a fantasy version of her in the hollo-deck two eps previously which he became sexual with. I know it's a product of it's time, which is how I've tried to watch it and I've had to stop watching other eps because they were so misogynistic/stupid/racist but to see Geordie behave like this was really off-putting

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-05-19)

Thanks

It took me a minute to place him, but George Wallace, who plays the old man in Hells Bells plays an Admiral in S6 of TNG. He has hair, or it could be a wig

Thanks

Did you know Kirsten Dunst was in Star Trek - TNG? Well you do now!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (12-06-19)