Thread: SMG - The Big Bang Theory

Thanks
    Thanked 8,007 Times in 3,842 Posts

Default SMG - The Big Bang Theory

In the end, Big Bang Theory‘s unluckiest lovebird lost his girlfriend but gained a Buffy the Vampire Slayer, staking claim to one of the series finale’s biggest moments in the process.

As previously, lightly teased, Sarah Michelle Gellar made a surprise cameo in Thursday’s swan song (read full recap here) as Raj’s date to Sheldon and Amy’s Nobel Prize ceremony. The idea for the quasi-Buffy crossover “came later in the story-breaking process,” showrunner Steve Holland tells TVLine.

“We knew that Raj wouldn’t have anyone to sit next to on the flight to Stockholm,” the EP explains. “And [series co-creator] Chuck [Lorre] was like, ‘Maybe there’s somebody fun that he’s sitting next to.’ And then we started talking about who that could be.

“I’ve been a fan of Buffy for years,” Holland adds. “It’s probably the show I’ve watched more than any other. I think a lot of our writers are fans of Buffy. [Having Sarah in the finale] felt like a fun, like, deeper-reel pull that would be exciting to us and exciting to these characters.”

But first they had to get Gellar on board with the stunt. “Chuck got on the phone with [Sarah] and, luckily, the conversation got started with her saying that her family is a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory,” Holland recalls. “At that point, we felt like it was going to work out. Then it was just a matter of figuring out the logistics and the scheduling.”

Holland, meanwhile, would like to clarify that, narratively speaking, Gellar and Raj are just friends. “There is a line in there where she says to him, ‘This is not a date,'” the EP reminds us with a laugh. “We’re aware Sarah Michelle Gellar is fairly famously married in real life [to Freddie Prinze Jr.], so we didn’t want there to be any confusion there.”

Romantic or not, “it was still nice to have Raj get a win,” says Holland, “and get to spend the evening hanging out with one of his celebrity crushes.”

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-05-19),betta (18-05-19),DanSlayer (17-05-19),GoSpuffy (17-05-19),Silver1 (18-05-19),Sosa lola (17-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (17-05-19),Stoney (17-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 916 Posts

Just watched the final episode. I've watched the series since it premiered. 12 years, that's a long time. I'm a different person just as the characters have grown. I noticed that in this fairy tale happy ending penny ended up pregnant and happy even though she had never expressed a desire for children. Amy ended up pretty, just as pretty as Mia (Anne Hathaway) in the princess diaries even though she always seemed content with her looks and she placed more value on being a scientist than on beauty. 12 years ago I'm not sure I would have noticed the ending as being that of a little girls fairy tale for the women. I mean Leonard's happy, he always wanted a child. And Sheldon is happy, he got his life long dream of a Nobel prize. So I'm left thinking that I don't understand if I'm watching the patriarchy in action or just some branch of the male gaze. And really, the important thing is I'm watching with a critical eye and I'm questioning that which is portrayed as a happy ending for women. Don't get me wrong, Amy's acceptance speech about girls choosing science is great but is it enough? So I've grown, the world is growing, but I think we've got a way to go. I guess looking at the story and noticing the under lying messaging is improvement so there's that.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

betta (18-05-19),flow (18-05-19),Priceless (18-05-19)

Thanks

Wow GoSpuffy I can't believe Penny is pregnant. I'd honestly thought she'd never wanted kids. I'm a little bit saddened that's how the show ended. I'd like more shows where the female lead can be happy and make the conscious choice not to have kids. But I guess they have to appeal to the biggest audience, and most people to have children. To be honest, apart from SMG, that sounds like a dull, by the numbers, ending.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (18-05-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (18-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 916 Posts

I think there was a happy ending available that didn't mean we had to revert to stereotypes. Leonard could have had an improvement in his relationship with his Mum and Penny could have achieved a career milestone and Amy could have gained personal and professional confidence. It's not bad to be pregnant or pretty, it's just not really all there is to being a Successful woman.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

betta (18-05-19),Priceless (18-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    It's not bad to be pregnant or pretty, it's just not really all there is to being a Successful woman.
    The feeling is that it was something that was very wrong with both of them, and in the end it was fixed...

Anyway, I haven't watched it yet and I won't so soon: the finale will air tomorrow at the same time of Game of Thrones - guess which I'll choose to watch?
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (18-05-19),Priceless (18-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,145 Posts

I just finished watching the very last episode of the Big Bang Theory and cried big fat tears at Sheldon's speech. Especially when he said "Astronaut Howard Wolowitz."

I actually loved that Penny was pregnant and thought it tied so well with Leonard's quote in the first episode "Our children will be beautiful and smart."

I also adored the episode with Leonard and his mother. That relationship was so filled with pain from Leonard's side, I'm glad it got a somewhat happy conclusion.

Raj ending up alone was interesting. I like that one of the main cast is single and happy with his life. Usually in sitcoms all characters must be in happy relationships.

I liked SMG's appearance but it felt weird hearing them all calling her "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" instead of her real name. They're big time geeks and they always called actors by their names and not their characters' names.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks

Finally saw this episode and really enjoyed it. Still a bit disappointed Penny is pregnant, but the episode was all about change and people do change their minds. I though the ending was really sweet and hit all the right notes.

SMG was great, though she only got the one line.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (31-05-19),Sosa lola (31-05-19)