Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Angel: Legacy Edition Announced by BOOM

  1. #1
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default Angel: Legacy Edition Announced by BOOM

    https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-angel-...ampaign=CBR-TW



    BOOM! Studios has announced Angel: Legacy Edition Book One, the first in a series gathering previous runs on the titular vampire into one collection.

    According to the publisher's press release, the new book will "collect every issue of Angel from previous publishers in chronological order, including hard to find and out of print stories." The new collection will feature a new cover by Nimit Malavia (Firefly: Legacy Edition) and feature work from such creators as David Fury, Christopher Golden, Eric Powell and more.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's a better image (thank you buffycomicslayer on tumblr)


  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    a thing of evil (10-05-19),BAF (10-05-19),Silver1 (11-05-19),TriBel (10-05-19)

  3. #2
    Slayer TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    4,591
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

    Default

    I'm torn between - "this is a nice thing to have" and "Bloody hell can BOOM find any more ways to get money from me?" On reflection, I've probably got most of them

    Interesting link on that page to an article about the TV reboot, including this line from SMG: ďFor me the beauty of the show was the madness and horrors of high school manifesting in actual literal horrors. And I may look young, thanks to all my Olay products, but I donít look like Iím a kid."

    I think they're trying to drive me away by shoving the fact I'm a consumer in my face.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (10-05-19)

  5. #3
    Slayer
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 752 Posts

    Default

    I wonder if they'll be broken up into Dark Horse V1, Dark Horse V2, IDW and then Dark Horse V3.

    The V2 Joss did was actually the only ones I liked.

  6. #4
    Well Spiked Stoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    8,042
    Thanks
    10,940
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

    Default

    I have the canon ones already and don't want any/all the ones that aren't. IDW already promote the collected ones they did with Joss' name to them on the cover even though he only was involved in the first 17 of the After the Fall ones (I'm cynical that those 17 are split so some just fall into the second collected bundle simply so they can appear to put Joss' name to the lot, although apparently inside it does distinguish who the writers/originators for the different issues were). This just seems another way to try to draw a sense of generality to the stories rather than the canon/non-canon distinctions (not that everyone cares about that, but some of us do). Obviously they want to do this because they want their own to be included in the mass that people want to buy to 'own them all'. As it will just include all the ones I already have alongside ones I've made the choice not to buy already I'll take a hard miss. But I do like that cover art.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I hope this doesn't mean that they won't do a TPB of their own. I'd definitely order the first TPB of the Angel stories as I have the Buffy one, even if I don't keep buying them after these. But I won't get the Angel ones if they aren't separated.
    Last edited by Stoney; 11-05-19 at 01:14 AM.

  7. #5
    Slayer flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks
    3,632
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,520 Posts

    Default

    That sounds like it is perfect for me to start reading the Angel comics but I feel a bit awkwardly about giving Boom money for something IDW or DH created.

    Does this one book cover all past Angel comics or will there more than one book?
    [IMG][/IMG]

  8. #6
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default

    But I do like that cover art.
    I really dislike that cover.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    That sounds like it is perfect for me to start reading the Angel comics but I feel a bit awkwardly about giving Boom money for something IDW or DH created.

    Does this one book cover all past Angel comics or will there more than one book?
    I am sure IDW and DH will get a cut of any money made.

    There are hundreds of Angel comics, so I imagine this will be a large collection.

  9. #7
    Well Spiked Stoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    8,042
    Thanks
    10,940
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    That sounds like it is perfect for me to start reading the Angel comics but I feel a bit awkwardly about giving Boom money for something IDW or DH created.

    Does this one book cover all past Angel comics or will there more than one book?
    It depends what is your priority because there will probably be a heck of a lot of non canon ones included if they are just gathering a complete collection together. Impossible to judge until there's more information about what it includes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I really dislike that cover.
    I suppose the likenesses aren't great (I don't even know who the person behind Darla is supposed to be (maybe Doyle??) and the guy at the top I thought was Giles but why would he be a priority character to put on the front cover of an Angel compilation. Possibly just because he was part of his story starting on BtVS. I think the drama of it and tentacles just appealed to me.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (11-05-19)

  11. #8
    Slayer TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    4,591
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I really dislike that cover.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I am sure IDW and DH will get a cut of any money made.

    There are hundreds of Angel comics, so I imagine this will be a large collection.
    I've got 3 Library Editions of Angel & Faith (9), what looks like the TPB sets for S10 and S11 (all DH) plus two omnibus volumes (1 & 2 IDW) of S6. I'm not sure if this is the complete canon works but it's enough for me.

    flow: The Library Eds alone amount to almost 900 pages. I think you're looking at 3/4 volumes. The largest single volume I have is Alan Moores' From Hell, which is almost 600 pages. I wouldn't want to handle anything much bigger.

    Stoney:
    I suppose the likenesses aren't great (I don't even know who the person behind Darla is supposed to be (maybe Doyle??) and the guy at the top I thought was Giles but why would he be a priority character to put on the front cover of an Angel
    I thought it was Wes, Doyle and Cordy - but maybe Darla makes more sense.
    Last edited by TriBel; 11-05-19 at 10:12 AM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-05-19)

  13. #9
    Well Spiked Stoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    8,042
    Thanks
    10,940
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

    Default

    The second edition of the IDW ones probably includes the non-canon ones. Joss' S6 outline only went up to issue 17 of the IDW ones I believe, the rest were just ones they continued to produce. Otherwise I think that sounds like all the canon ones (without checking ).

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (11-05-19)

  15. #10
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default

    I suppose the likenesses aren't great (I don't even know who the person behind Darla is supposed to be (maybe Doyle??) and the guy at the top I thought was Giles but why would he be a priority character to put on the front cover of an Angel compilation. Possibly just because he was part of his story starting on BtVS. I think the drama of it and tentacles just appealed to me.
    Darla? I didn't even think of Darla The likenesses are not good. If that is Doyle, he looks very chiselled, not the unkempt Irishman we knew. But who else could it be? Maybe Connor?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I've got at least 7 volumes of the Angel IDW, and that's not the complete set.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (11-05-19)

  17. #11
    Well Spiked Stoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    8,042
    Thanks
    10,940
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

    Default

    They released them into two compilations a year or two ago and split the ones Joss was involved in over the two parts (I cynically am convinced that was so that they could put his name on the front of both parts even though the majority of the issues in the second had nothing to do with him). I don't know how many parts it was all split into before. I think my copies of After the Fall are in at least five parts. I stopped buying them when they weren't the canon/Joss ones though.

    I think it looks more Doyle than Connor, but it isn't great for either granted. It couldn't be Whistler surely, not sans hat.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-05-19)

  19. #12
    Slayer
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 752 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Darla? I didn't even think of Darla The likenesses are not good. If that is Doyle, he looks very chiselled, not the unkempt Irishman we knew. But who else could it be? Maybe Connor?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I've got at least 7 volumes of the Angel IDW, and that's not the complete set.
    I believe it's Angel,Wes, Doyle and Cordy. If it's released in order, the first set will be the old Dark Horse books that ran during the show. Gunn and Conner weren't in them. The woman with the cross is, I'm guessing, a horrible likeness of Buffy since there is a crossover arc.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-05-19),Silver1 (11-05-19),Stoney (11-05-19),TriBel (11-05-19)

  21. #13
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    I believe it's Angel,Wes, Doyle and Cordy. If it's released in order, the first set will be the old Dark Horse books that ran during the show. Gunn and Conner weren't in them. The woman with the cross is, I'm guessing, a horrible likeness of Buffy since there is a crossover arc.
    It looks nothing like Cordy . . . but then it looked nothing like Darla. I thought it might be Kate It's a shocking cover, I doubt the artist has ever seen these characters.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (11-05-19)

  23. #14
    Slayer TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    4,591
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    It looks nothing like Cordy . . . but then it looked nothing like Darla. I thought it might be Kate It's a shocking cover, I doubt the artist has ever seen these characters.
    I'm with HardlyThere - my initial thought was Cordy, Wes and Doyle (without claiming an obvious resemblance). I'd bet my kids on it - but probably not my house.. The only reason I thought "Buffy" was the bloody big cross - the only reason I recognized "Angel" was the word "Angel" written at the top.

  24. #15
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I'm with HardlyThere - my initial thought was Cordy, Wes and Doyle (without claiming an obvious resemblance). I'd bet my kids on it - but probably not my house.. The only reason I thought "Buffy" was the bloody big cross - the only reason I recognized "Angel" was the word "Angel" written at the top.
    Yes, Angel and Buffy are obvious, but not because they look anything like the characters Maybe that's what the artist was going for - the most important people are 'set' while others just come and go and are not fixed . . .

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (11-05-19)

  26. #16
    Slayer TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    4,591
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Yes, Angel and Buffy are obvious, but not because they look anything like the characters Maybe that's what the artist was going for - the most important people are 'set' while others just come and go and are not fixed . . .
    The tentacles are good though...I quite like the tentacles. Perhaps we've been spoiled by the verisimilitude of the previous BOOM comics? In all fairness, the figures in this are no less identifiable than (for instance) the ones in your banner. There could, as you say, be an aesthetic reason for it. B and A remain constant - the frame into which other characters walk in and out of.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-05-19)

  28. #17
    Well Spiked Stoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    8,042
    Thanks
    10,940
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    I believe it's Angel,Wes, Doyle and Cordy. If it's released in order, the first set will be the old Dark Horse books that ran during the show. Gunn and Conner weren't in them. The woman with the cross is, I'm guessing, a horrible likeness of Buffy since there is a crossover arc.
    Ah you're probably right about Wes, I hadn't even thought of him, but I still think it looks more like Giles and the Cordy isn't at all like Cordy.

    At a glance I'd actually quite liked it and now I'm just bugged by not knowing for sure who they are supposed to be, ha. I think it's definitely Buffy because of the cross and I'm sure it is supposed to be Doyle now, but I still think it looks more like Darla than Cordy. There's certainly logic to it being the members of AI team though.

    Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    That sounds like it is perfect for me to start reading the Angel comics but I feel a bit awkwardly about giving Boom money for something IDW or DH created.

    Does this one book cover all past Angel comics or will there more than one book?
    In case you do decide to only go for the canon ones flow, or just for reference of what is, this is a useful webpage as the person has put the canon comics in reading order and included those commonly considered quasi-canon to consider too (but noted them as such).

    The only things I'd say about this list is that it doesn't mention The Magical Mystery Tour, Featuring the Beetles that was a web comic they put out which slots in between S8's Last Gleaming pt4 and pt5, right at the end of the season. But I think it was included in the first S9 trade paperback, so that is probably why they don't mention it. Also, there was a free comic book day issue, In Space No One Can Hear You Slay, that should be read after #4 but before #7 of Buffy S9. This did have Joss' name on the cover but I don't know if it was included in any of the trade paperbacks because I bought the individual issues this season (again possibly it is included in the trades and that is why it isn't listed separately). A further additional mini story Love vs Life was issued in three parts in Dark Horse Presents #25-27 that is intended to fit after part two of S9's final arc The Core but before the start of S10. Both this, Love vs Life, and the Magical Mystery Tour weren't released with Joss' name on the covers as exec producer like the free comic book day was. Although they were both written by Jane Espenson and I'm pretty sure are both included in DH's trade publications, it might be safer to say that those two are quasi-canon as well as they didn't have Joss' name against them (as the other quasi canon ones also didn't).

    Other than that my only comment/amendment on this list is that they recommend reading Spike: A Dark Place in the wrong place. It should be read after #10 of Buffy S9, but before #18 of A&F S9.
    Last edited by Stoney; 11-05-19 at 07:44 PM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

    flow (11-05-19)

  30. #18
    Slayer
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 752 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    It looks nothing like Cordy . . . but then it looked nothing like Darla. I thought it might be Kate It's a shocking cover, I doubt the artist has ever seen these characters.
    It could be Kate. She's quite prevalent in the issues. I only say Cordy because it's probably meant to be the AI team, not because it looks like her in any way, shape or form. Plus why would they put Kate on there and not Cordy?

    I am only interested if the old covers are included. All these books have been released in omnibus form already, but a lot of the old 97-03 DH covers haven't.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-05-19)

  32. #19
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,248
    Thanks
    8,976
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    It could be Kate. She's quite prevalent in the issues. I only say Cordy because it's probably meant to be the AI team, not because it looks like her in any way, shape or form. Plus why would they put Kate on there and not Cordy?

    I am only interested if the old covers are included. All these books have been released in omnibus form already, but a lot of the old 97-03 DH covers haven't.
    Oh no, you are being logical and it definitely makes sense that it's Cordy and not Kate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •