Thread: 2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,846 Posts

Default 2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

A new cycle needs a new thread.

So... who is going to be Joe Biden's running mate? I guess that's the salient question.

Banner by LRae12

Bronze Party-Goer StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    A new cycle needs a new thread.

So... who is going to be Joe Biden's running mate? I guess that's the salient question.

please tell me you are not serious....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

MikeB (28-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,026 Times in 949 Posts

I'll never understand why it takes two years to run an election. Canada is voting this fall, on or before Oct 19th and we haven't even started gearing up for it.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (07-05-19),Priceless (07-05-19),Silver1 (07-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 3,956 Posts

We're pretty much the same as Canada, we get a couple of months, at most, of electioneering. Any more, and I think the British public would riot

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (07-05-19),Silver1 (07-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfSiege97 View Post
    please tell me you are not serious....
    It's the exact same thing on the Democrat side in 2020 that it was on the Republican side in 2016 - where from the very beginning there was a prohibitive, dominant polling advantage that made it pretty objectively clear who was going to be the nominee right from the start.

Followed by months and months of people who don't prefer this candidate trying to explain why the polling advantage doesn't mean what it obviously means or how it will easily be overcome at the last minute.

Followed by speculation that maybe a curveball can be thrown at the convention to get a more proper and ideologically desirable candidate nominated at the last minute.

Followed by the person who was obviously going to get the nomination from early on, getting the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I'll never understand why it takes two years to run an election. Canada is voting this fall, on or before Oct 19th and we haven't even started gearing up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    We're pretty much the same as Canada, we get a couple of months, at most, of electioneering. Any more, and I think the British public would riot
    Simple answer is that we've improperly made the President too prominent a feature of our government and Congress has continually deferred more of its own role to the executive branch and judiciary so it becomes almost the only thing that matters (as long as the unelected administrative state is cooperative, but that's probably its own thread).

Could fix it pretty easy even just from the electoral side. Get rid of party primaries - or at least make them bear the full cost of holding them, no state financed polling sites or poll workers. A lot of time and money is wasted on this when all it is is an argument between a party leadership and voters over who the party should advance when it's always the party's call if they have the spine to make it.

Banner by LRae12

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-05-19),StateOfSiege97 (07-05-19),Stoney (07-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,981 Times in 2,729 Posts

It's a shame they couldn't have picked someone more progressive but if Biden can get the job done, then Biden it is.

Whether or not he can get the job done, well, I don't know. The 2018 Midterms made it clear that voters are willing to come out in force against Trump but it's also true that the Midterms never guarantee the election either (far from it).

I want to remain optimistic that the US can get it's sanity back but Trump has already gotten away with so much that I'm feeling quite defeatist about the whole thing.

I'm just honestly not sure about Biden. If the midterms taught us anything, it's that the Democrats did especially well when they ran with really progressive candidates/policies. Biden just isn't all that progressive and I'm not sure he's got it in him to make young voters/democrats inspired enough to go to the polls. I do think he makes Trump scared though - which would be fun - but I'm not sure if he can get them over the line.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (07-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (14-08-19),StateOfSiege97 (07-05-19),Stoney (07-05-19)

Bronze Party-Goer StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

The thing is, I just don't think that
    Biden can get it done—

His announcement was disastrous, and as
    vampmogs notes, I don't think he'll
    be able to rally the more progressive wing
    of the party to get out to vote—

Nor, do I think, does he have the force to
    persuade swing voters...

With whom does that leave us?

I love Elizabeth Warren's platform thus far,
    but I do not trust her as a candidate—she's
    already fallen for Trump's baiting...

And I don't trust most of the others, save
    Bernie Sanders—

(As someone born and raised in El Paso, I
    so wanted to trust Beto, but he's going back
    on everything I liked about him as a senate
    candidate... And he has certain policies that
    trouble me... )

And contrary to mainstream party nay-sayers,
    I do think Bernie could both get out the progressive
    vote and draw in swing voters with the right
    platform....

But given the way the Electoral College works (a
    thing I'd love to do away with) and the consistent,
    successful attempts to suppress votes, I just don't
    know...

And I don't trust Trump at all—don't trust what he'll
    do if he thinks he is going to lose....

ps I agree with you, KofC, on primaries and such—
    so great a waste of time and money, all for nothing
    substantive when it comes to the ideas and desires
    of actual voters....

And even more on the excessive power of the presidency—
    Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 07-05-19 at 02:49 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (14-08-19),Stoney (07-05-19),vampmogs (07-05-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Literally the rules have changed since 2016 A.D. Vice President Joseph Biden doesn't have the advantage Hilary Clinton did. I haven't watched 'Night 2' of the first Democratic Presidential Primary Debate yet, but US Senator Elizabeth Warren's performance confirmed her relative weakness regarding debate. Hers not going on Fox News for a Town Hall signified that she cannot argue her points like US Senator Bernard Sanders can.

* Julian Castro had a great showing, but he's not going to be the next US President. I consider US Congressperson Tulsi Gabbard had relatively the best showing. The US people don't want war. She could easily be the next US Defense Secretary or US Secretary of State or US Vice President.

* It takes a long time for information to get out. The US President is the most powerful person in the world. US President Donald Trump has relatively proven that--aside from his still needing oil a la Saudi Arabia the UAE, etc.--that the US is more powerful than 'The West--including Japan--and China combined.

The US doesn't have a parliament system. The US President is very powerful and its right that it elections take so long.

* Anyway, looking forward to seeing 'Night 2' of the Democratic Presidential Primary Debate. I support US Senator Bernie Sanders and US Senator Elizabeth Warren, as either can relatively easily beat US President Donald Trump. And they are tough. US Senator Elizabeth Warren didn't run in 2016 A.D. The 'Pocahontas' thing showed her relative weakness. And her debating skills aren't great.

EDIT:

All elections should be publicly financed, politicians should make much more and be banned from lobbying, aides and such should make much more and be banned from lobbying.

Doing away with any public financing of elections would be disastrous for democracy. We already live in a plutocracy or even oligarchy.
    Last edited by MikeB; 28-06-19 at 06:47 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

bespangled (28-06-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* As I expected, US Senator Kamala Harris had a great night and would emerge as the better version of US Vice President Joseph Biden.

* The 'mainstream' media is beyond obviously biased toward the 'establishment' and 'centrism'. Saying 'Mayor Pete' had the second best showing to Kamala Harris is irritating. He didn't actually say much. And he got a lot of fundraising dollars after the debate.

US Senator Bernard Sanders had the second best showing of the second night of the First US Presidential Democratic Primary Debate. He did better than US Senator Elizabeth Warren simply because he's clearly able to command attention and he's willing and able to talk over people. Warren is still too polite and still too unassertive.

* US Senator Kamala Harris wasn't asked tough questions regarding her record and thus she wasn't attacked at all. The dynamics still have US Senator Bernie Sanders as the actual front-runner with US Senator Elizabeth Warren still able to catch up. I don't foresee 'Mayor Pete' surpassing US Senator Kamala Harris.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ination_polls/

Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 3,956 Posts

What's the deal with Yang? Some of the Americans I follow on twitter were up in arms about him having his mic turned down/off. Those who watched it, did they get the impression he was cut off?

Thanks

* Yang didn't get many questions, but others in the debates simply asserted themselves--meaning they interrupted, talked over others, etc.

* I am shocked and disappointed with how weak US Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi has been. She was progressive compared to those years ago and she is the most powerful US Speaker of the House ever, but this is not the days of Obama.

Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, free public college--these are very popular proposals. US House of Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gets results by being bold and progressive.

These past several months have shown there's a distinct difference between a "liberal" and a "progressive".

And the New York Times 's new editor is even more "conservative" than I assumed when I read his 'introduction letter'. The paper seems very anti-progressive, very pro-'establishment' and has columnists who clearly say the Democratic Party should be pre-Trump Republican i.e. even more 'conservative' than President Barack Obama who essentially governed as a moderate Republican. President William Jefferson Clinton was more 'progressive' than Obama.

Thanks

So, I may have been wrong about US Senator Elizabeth Warren--she's showing some toughness--in terms of debate--she hadn't prior. US Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren handily won the 2nd US Democratic Presidential Debate. US Vice President Joe Biden and US Senator Kamala Harris were harmed.

Biden's still in the lead, but its very tentative.

Warren is relatively gaining steam in terms of polling.

'Mayor Pete' and Harris are doing a lot of 'big donor' fundraising, but it's highly unlikely either will get the nomination.

US Senator Elizabeth Warren is relatively currently in the best position to win the nomination and the US Presidency. Both Sanders and Harris supporters support her as their 'second choices'; albeit many Biden's supporters 'second choice' is Sanders.

We'll see how things go. Presently, it seems the US Presidency and the US House of Representatives will be Democratic but the US Senate may remain Republican. I hope though that some of these US Democratic Presidential Candidates switch to challenging US Republican Senators.
    Last edited by MikeB; 19-08-19 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks

Unless there is a significant downturn in the economy, which is doing quite well, I don't think Trump is losing. If his field of opponents decide to stay farther from middle America and focus in trying to appeal to "the squad's" core supporters, I think his electoral margin will increase and the oft flogged but always inconsequential national aggregate will be closer, at least.

But as long as the economy is going well and Trump doesn't go mush on the core issues he ran on (immigration, 2A, the judiciary, and trade - although I doubt like his trade policy), think a second term is almost a given. The polling doesn't faze me all that much because we've been here before.

Banner by LRae12

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,151 Posts

How f*cking depressing.......

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-08-19),TriBel (19-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,588 Posts

But true...

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    But true...

flow
    Yeah It seems just like in the UK at the moment there's too many greedy idiots walking around that believe any damn thing If It's repeated enough times.