Thread: Roswell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 696 Posts

Default Roswell

I recently revived my interest in this show, even with all its faults I still adore its first season, and couldn't find a thread for it so I'm opening one here. If anyone else loved the show or still watches it, this thread is for that. I loved Max and Liz, Maria and Michael so much back in the day. <3

Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

I remember watching the first few episodes, and a few odd ones after that, but I was never a fan of Roswell. Why did you like it so much SpuffyGlitz?

Thanks

Oh, did you start it recently or when it aired? If I was introduced to it today, it would probably bore me. It's nothing compared to the Buffyverse, it doesn't have the sophistication of BtVS and it kind of went downhill after S1, and it's often corny and cliched. But I liked the gentle innocence of the first season and I loved Liz and Max's characters then. If you made it up to "285 South", that was one of my favourite Michael and Maria episodes. The sci-fi premise of 'aliens' as a theme worked for me because but they made it a much broader human metaphor. And I liked the crime drama element of 'aliens running from the law'.

Today, it just has nostalgic value for me. This was the first show I got obsessed with beside Buffy. Geeked Out Nation liked it but I was startled at how mediocre the episodes seemed compared to the depth of Buffy. Which is not to say Roswell didn't have depth...but it's just not timeless the way Buffy is, and I loved it mostly for shipping reasons. Now I don't even ship Max and Liz so strongly anymore, but I still enjoy the first season.

I'm also amazed at how differently Jason Behr comes across between the roles of Max Evans and Billy Fordham. He's such a shady (but interesting) creep in "Lie to Me" and Behr's acting lends it this sinister tone, whereas as Max Evans he's so soulful and heroic.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-05-19)

Thanks

I watched it when it originally aired in the UK, but it didn't grab me like BtVS did (but there aren't many shows that do). I liked the basic story, aliens crashing to earth, and I remember how romantic it was, with Liz getting shot and Max saving her life. But I remember it being pretty slow back then, so I don't know how I'd feel about it now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (05-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

I haven't watched it and don't remember it airing or missing it even. So I've effectively come on the thread to acknowledge my uselessness. Is it being reshown currently?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (05-05-19),TriBel (05-05-19)

Thanks

So I've effectively come on the thread to acknowledge my uselessness. Is it being reshown currently?

I think the thread itself is probably redundant because I don't think anyone currently watches it. The reboot show - Roswell, New Mexico - aired in January earlier this year, which was also based on Melinda Metz's books, but somehow I wasn't interested in that. I got re-interested because I saw a few reactions to it recently and it brought back a lot of nostalgia. One of these days I was thinking of doing a Roswell rewatch and getting out my DVDs, but it's not as compelling as Buffy so I think I'd feel the contrast more now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Stoney (05-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I haven't watched it and don't remember it airing or missing it even. So I've effectively come on the thread to acknowledge my uselessness. Is it being reshown currently?
    The name rings a bell but otherwise, I'm as useless as Stoney!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (05-05-19),Stoney (05-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 908 Posts

I watched it as it aired and rewatched a few years ago when I first got Netflix. I loved the concept and I loved S1 and agree that after that it went way downhill. I'm watching the reboot and enjoying it. I think the reboot is more grown up and better developed than the original. I'm also watching the reboot of charmed and I don't think it is nearly as good as the original. The two reboots have been handled completely differently. I'm so curious as to what we'll get with the Buffy reboot.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (05-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post

I think the thread itself is probably redundant because I don't think anyone currently watches it. The reboot show - Roswell, New Mexico - aired in January earlier this year, which was also based on Melinda Metz's books, but somehow I wasn't interested in that. I got re-interested because I saw a few reactions to it recently and it brought back a lot of nostalgia. One of these days I was thinking of doing a Roswell rewatch and getting out my DVDs, but it's not as compelling as Buffy so I think I'd feel the contrast more now.
    You should definitely do a rewatch and post your thoughts on the forum. You might be surprised at how good the show is and how it's stood the test of time

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (06-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

Bet Metda's seen it - she's seen every show that's ever been made (and possibly at least 3 that haven't).
    Last edited by TriBel; 05-05-19 at 09:41 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-05-19),Stoney (06-05-19)