Does anybody else like Syfy's Killjoys? The fifth and final season will likely get a summer première, so there's plenty of time for newbies to catch up. My observations:

The mytharc and worldbuilding are really, freakishly, Babylon 5 levels of good. This is by far the show's best selling point. There are times in the second season when you may find yourself wondering if the writers really have a plan for all these subcultures, MacGuffins, and conspiracies. Come season 3, you know that the answer is yes.

It looks really cool. Mind you, the CGI isn't perfectly realistic, but even the stylized tableaux are weirdly beautiful. Think Spartacus, only with emerald-green
Spoiler:
alien super-serum
flying everywhere instead of blood.

The current slang needs to go. It might be witty if our heroes were living in the 2010s, but there's no reason for people thousands of years in the future to riff on the "do not want" meme, or why "tossing salad" would still form the basis of a dirty joke.

And I'm 90% sure that none of the writers on this sci-fi show has a degree in science. To be fair, neither do I, so I can't say with certainty, but it doesn't smell quite right to me, for reasons that are hard to discuss without revealing spoilers. I'd say that it's about as "hard" as Firefly, a little harder than Farscape, and a lot softer than The Expanse.

The characterizations are a little iffy in the first half of season 4. Apparently, they changed showrunners after the end of season 3, and, as sometimes happens, the transition's rough. The flashbacks to Dutch and Johnny's early relationship don't line up with what we learned of them in season 1, and D'avin makes a handful of rookie tactical errors that just don't make sense for him. However, season 4 does find its sea (space?) legs about halfway through, and I'm optimistic about season 5.

It's no shade on the leads, who are all pretty good, but Killjoys really stands out in the casting and development of its minor and recurring roles. The antagonists, the damsels in distress, and the information brokers tend to come across as rounded people who must have their own stories, even when you know very little about them. Better yet, when you get your wish, you're seldom disappointed: Mayko Nguyen as Qreshi robber baron Delle Seyah Kendry, Morgan Kelly as a militant monk with friends in low places, and Sean Baek as a hyper-competitive, narcissistic solo agent are all just as delightful when they get their spotlight episodes as they were when they first stepped onto the screen. Heck, even Westerly's corrupt head cop will break your heart in "Escape Velocity."

When the dialogue isn't bearing the weight of 2010s internet culture, it's quite amusing/touching. Some snippets:

Kendry: "Steal for your company, not from it. Rookie mistake."

Fancy: "Every organization needs its designated ---hole."

Johnny (meeting Dutch/Yala): "Johnny Jaqobis, lover of ships."

Dutch, gun aimed right at him: "Yala Yardeen, killer of men."

Johnny: (beat) "Yeah, yours is better."

Alvis, advising D'avin on how to control his ability
Spoiler:
to telekinetically explode Hullen's heads
:
"You might start by not thinking about killing people."

D'avin: "Small steps, monk."