Thread: Game of Thrones Season 6

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,067 Posts

Default Game of Thrones Season 6

6.01 The Red Woman

Brienne and Sansa swearing to each other bought tears to my eyes. If felt like something huge and important and emotional had happened.

When Arya sailed into Bravos it looked so beautiful, the waters so blue and the buildings gleaming. Now she's lost her sight and is begging on the street, the city looks dank and dour, full of beggars and filth. I like that the assassins are still training her, even though she's been punished by them.

- - - Updated - - -

6.02 Home

A really interesting opening, with Bran seeing his father and family when they were young. Is he shown things of importance? Max von Sydow is the vision host!

I'm not a fan of Jaime putting all that pressure on Tommen, 'everything she endured, she did it for you' - well yes, in a way, to hide the fact that Jaime had fathered the children, but Ceresei has only Cersei to blame and Jaime is an idiot if he can't see that, and blaming his own son is a step too far. Cersei weaponised the High Sparrow and his sect, so she could destroy Margery. Surely Jaime knows this? I know he was away in Dorne, but still he's no fool. Jaime says 'go and see your mother and ask her to forgive you' and that is so annoying. Cersei should be asking for Tommen's forgiveness.

Cersei didn't raise Tommen to be strong, as he thinks, she raised him to be reliant on her. And that's exactly what she got. She was so terrified of losing that dependance, she tried to have his wife destroyed.

Varys does not make dwarf jokes How dare you! He and Tyrion freeing the dragons was some good tv. I hope none of the dragons die. I always thought dragons would/could live hundreds of years, and I hope these do.

OMG Ramsay killed Roose. I did not see that coming at all! Well, I thought it might happen, but not here and not now. That poor woman and baby, their deaths were so disturbing.

Theon's uncle suddenly turning up was a surprise. I can't remember seeing him before. There are too many characters in this damn show. Theon and Sansa saying goodbye was quite moving. I hope Theon makes it home and can somehow retire from the fight and rest.

Are we meant to forgive Melisandre for what she did because she bought Jon back from the dead? Because I don't forgive her. Murdering Shireen for her fantastical god was just too vile. Why does Jon get to wear a sheet when he's dead? So many women on this show flash every bit of flesh they've got for the titilation of the audience, and Kit Harrington won't show his dick.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (26-04-19),TriBel (27-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,427 Times in 5,567 Posts

The inequality is galling for sure, but I don't feel like I'm missing out with Kit to be honest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-04-19),TriBel (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    The inequality is galling for sure, but I don't feel like I'm missing out with Kit to be honest.
    Oh no, me neither It's as you say, the female actors bare all continually, while none of the lead men are required to do the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,166 Posts

Kit Harrington won't show his dick.
    So...you've watched 5 seasons in about 14 days and that's your endgame?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    So...you've watched 5 seasons in about 14 days and that's your endgame?
    Yes, yes it is.

- - - Updated - - -

6.03 Oathbreaker

Jon awakes, without that cloth covering him. We still don't see his dick. But the show does comment on other's having seen it and how small it is, so someone somewhere seems to understands there is hypocrisy here. They also reference Jon's lack of humour, which also feels very meta.

I'm enjoying all Brans flashbacks to his fathers time. It puts a lot of the pieces together. I like the actor playing young Ned, he's putting so much effort into that Sheffield accent. Max von Sydow is giving a wonderful performance and it really makes me happy to see him in this show.

Oh poor Tommen, he's just a child and so easily manipulated by the High Sparrow's doublespeak. Like the contrast from his scenes to Arya's. I'm happy she got her sight back, but I'm not convinced she's as much of an assassin as she wishes to be. Rickon's been captured and his wolf killed, I didn't expect that to happen. Then Ollie is gruesomely hung. The kids in this show suffer so much more than the adults.

- - - Updated - - -

6.04 Book of the Stranger

Sansa and Jon finally reunited! What a wonderful moment. To finally be in the arms of someone who knows you, trusts you, has a shared history, after all this time, it must be momentous for both of them. I love Sansa's strength and her vow to take back Winterfell. Everything that's happened to Jon has taken a toll on him, but I hope Sansa will restore his strength and his will to fight.

Jorah! I want him to punch Daario so much. How dare he talk about Dany like that, the little prick. Jorah knows exactly where Dany is and how to get into the city, he's no fool.

Margery talking to Loris, a mirror to Sansa/Jon. She's the strong one. I hope she can pull him around, but either way I'm glad she's still alive. This show loves a good brother/sister dynamic. I am suspicious of Jaime and Cersei's plan to overthrow the High Sparrow, it seems too soon and too rational and I wonder if it's a doublecross to get rid of the Tyrells once and for all?

Osha's death was a shocker, I didn't expect that to happen.

I didn't think it was possible to love Dany more than i already do. Her scenes are always so epic/biblical.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (27-04-19)

Thanks

It's a while since I watched these now but I remember feeling that Cersei seemed to try to protect her younger children from the brutality of politics, especially her daughter, but then threw Tommen under a bus with it because she'd never put him first over family power. I find her a fascinating character but hard to like. Jaime on the other hand I've plenty of time for.

I've decided the prominence of Theon's penis in the story is there for balance.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-04-19)

Thanks

6.05 The Door

The Dany/Jorah scene broke my heart. He was going to walk away, die alone somewhere and she ordered him to find a cure, as his Queen, she ordered him. He better find a damn cure because she loves him. It may not be romantic but it's love and he knows it now.

We learn where the White Walkers came from. They began as an army to protect the forests, very ecological. The scene of Bran walking through the army of the dead was scary. (This show has worked hard at keeping the 'baddies' as terrifying as possible and it's worked) If the forest people created the White Walkers, why have they now turned on them?

Hodor, holding the door, made me cry a second time this episode. Had he known all along what his purpose was? What a burden to carry.

Loved all Arya's scenes, especially the theatre scenes, portraying Ned as a greedy idiot. Poor Arya having to see that. Sansa's scenes showed that both sisters are getting stronger and more determined.

Like that the Iron Born actually kinda elect their leader, though I feel sorry for Yara and don't trust this new king at all. I certainly can't imagine Dany falling for his charms . . . though she fell for Daario so who knows? I wouldn't trust this Red Priestess either, all those types are completely untrustworthy and dangerous and I certainly don't buy into 'everything happens for a reason'

- - - Updated - - -

6.06 Blood of My Blood

Sam's father is a right charmer isn't he?

Oh no, Tommen has been brainwashed into this High Sparrows religion. What a disaster for the Lannisters and Westeros. In reality this can only end in civil war. I cannot see Cersei standing for this at all. (I am happy Margery is still alive, and am hopeful she'll continue to survive)

I have to admit I don't remember seeing Benjen before. Another Dany speech to end the episode on an epic note.

- - - Updated - - -

6.07 The Broken Man

The Hound!!! OMG The Hound is back! This makes me so happy. He'd found some peace in his life, but of course that couldn't be allowed to last.

I am still hopeful The Sparrow is going to die a painful and violent death and that Margery hasn't really fallen for his bs. I was pleased to see Lady Tyrell tell Cersei it was all her fault, and what a vile monster she was. I do think Cersei has a brass neck to ask for Lady T's help.

Ok I adore Lady Lyanna Mormont. I love all the Mormonts, they are a fine family. Davos's speech was very persuasive, he's pretty good with kids. Pity they could only muster 62 fighters.

Oh no, Arya!

- - - Updated - - -

6.08 No One

I get a sinking feeling about Varys, I hope nothing terrible happens to him. He is still one of my Top 5 favourite characters.

How could those soldiers be so bloody stupid as to let Edmure in? What absolute stupidity, surely they knew what would happen, so there was no point in being disgusted with Edmure, it's their own stupidity they would be disgusted with. I wish the Black Fish had escaped though, he didn't deserve to die.

I am sure some people are taken with the Jaime/Brienne relationship, but I just don't feel it at all. I think it's because I dislike Jaime so much, that I cannot bear the thought of someone so 'good' as Brienne being attracted to him.

Beric! Nice to see him again.

The chase through the city was so well done. There was a real feeling of jeopardy, and Arya's life might truly be in danger. That other assassin was like a cyborg chasing her down. Now Arya's on her way to Winterfell!

- - - Updated - - -

6.09 Battle of the Bastards

The dragons will be slaughtered so say these slave merchants. They deserved everything they got! Anyone who wants to kill dragons deserves to be killed. What sort of monster wants to kill dragons?! (Same goes for those who killed the direwolves)

Dany is so damn perfect, trying to build the perfect world, how can you not love her. Glad to see she made the treaty with Yara and Theon. If feels like all the ducks are getting into the right rows.

Jon's still not very commanding and I certainly don't feel compelled by his story, but there is gradual improvement in the acting. Sansa and Ramsay actually act him off the screen, Davos has more of that 'inner northern strong but silent steel' Jon should have. When he finds that carving in the pyre, I imagine him slitting Melisandre's throat and I'd be happy to see it.

Oh Rikon. Zig Zag!! You fool, zig zag!!! Does no one in GoT understand the concept of zig-zagging!! OMG what a battle. I knew Jon survived, but for a moment there I thought it just wasn't possible. Brutal, violent, absolutely horrific. Then the ****ing Knights of the Vale turn up! Sansa is a better commander than Jon Snow, though I hope to god this doesn't blow up in her face (ala Cersei and the religious nutters) Those lovely pups eating Ramsay, and Sansa's sweet smile, just a wonderful touch.

- - - Updated - - -

6.10 The Winds of Winter

It was the music. The music in this episode was a character all of its own.

I was worried that Cersei overthrowing the Sparrows meant death for Margery and the Tyrells. I loved her intelligence, knowing what will befall them and I am so sorry she didn't survive.

OMG! Tommen killed himself. I had vague knowledge that his mother pushed him out the window, but really she was just the cause of him jumping. She knew it would likely happen too, it had been prophesied.

Varys! So glad to see he's safe and sound at least. Glad to see Dany cut Daario off, and there were no tears in her eyes when she did it (unlike with Jorah)

The Fray's baked in a pie, that made me feel a bit gippy, but the reveal that it was Arya was absolutely wonderful!

There was surely a bit of CGI on that baby - it had a bloody 5 o'clock shadow!

Lady Mormont made me cry, she's definitely in my top 5 now. It was really moving to hear the Lords fall behind the King in the North.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (29-04-19),Stoney (28-04-19)

Thanks

Oh I felt the same with Rikon. But even if he had, it was a long run to survive.

I can understand finding Jaime problematic, but his and Brienne's friendship/interactions have been one of the biggest highlights of the show for me. But I have more of a sense of disquiet with Danaerys and her choices/motivation than how you feel about her. I'm still not sure how I feel about Jon as a character in some ways and think I'll definitely benefit from rewatching the show, but I think he's possibly the least selfish of all the character in a leadership position. He seems very down to earth and admirable. I'm struggling to think of something I'd criticise him for off the top of my head. Just watch everyone list a whole heap of things now that I agree with and had just forgotten about, ha!

As I only remember the eps you're going through vaguely from having seen them the once when they aired it is really interesting to see the overall pros/cons and character likes/dislikes that you talk about and how that matches/contrasts how I feel towards them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Oh I felt the same with Rikon. But even if he had, it was a long run to survive.

I can understand finding Jaime problematic, but his and Brienne's friendship/interactions have been one of the biggest highlights of the show for me. But I have more of a sense of disquiet with Danaerys and her choices/motivation than how you feel about her. I'm still not sure how I feel about Jon as a character in some ways and think I'll definitely benefit from rewatching the show, but I think he's possibly the least selfish of all the character in a leadership position. He seems very down to earth and admirable. I'm struggling to think of something I'd criticise him for off the top of my head. Just watch everyone list a whole heap of things now that I agree with and had just forgotten about, ha!

As I only remember the eps you're going through vaguely from having seen them the once when they aired it is really interesting to see the overall pros/cons and character likes/dislikes that you talk about and how that matches/contrasts how I feel towards them.
    I imagine I am in the minority who find nothing redeeming in the Jaime/Brienne relationship, though I'm open to that changing in S7. I know both characters are quite popular and I can understand why, but they just don't move me. I adore Dany, I really do. She has so many good traits that would make her an excellent leader. So far Jon has been getting stronger and stronger, which makes me like him more, but it's such a slow burn and his strength is so low-key that I do struggle with him.

If I really thought about it, I'd say I love Sansa and Arya because they've changed. Sansa has become the shadow- Cersei and Arya is a talented assassin. I look over to Jon, and I see . . . Jon. He's got slightly stronger, and yes he's become a good leader, the King of the North, but personality wise, he's not really changed at all, or certainly not as much as his sisters. Even Bran has changed dramatically from a naughty little boy to . . . well I'm not sure what he is, the 3 eyed raven, but not sure what that actually means. Jon has had good story development, but very little character development.

I've enjoyed all the seasons, this show is incredibly exciting and enjoyable. I'd say S6 is up there as one of my favourites.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (29-04-19)