Thread: Charisma's Pregnancy

Graveyard Patrol Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Charisma's Pregnancy

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/stat...37342455603200
    https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/s...55067252957184

There are a lot of rumours flying around the events that lead to Cordelia being written out of Angel. Charisma has always claimed that Joss got angry with her because they had to rewrite S4 after she became pregnant. But many people believe that part of the reason Joss was so angry was because he felt Charisma waited too long to inform production of her pregnancy. This rumour was reported in a recent click-baity listicle.

Charisma has come out in response and categorically denied that she ever hid her pregnancy. Tim, David Fury and Steven have all backed her up.

I thought this was worth spreading, considering how quickly rumour becomes fact.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-04-19),ghoststar (23-04-19),Priceless (23-04-19),Stoney (24-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

it had been mentioned in the Making Up As They Went Along thread. I take the liberty to quote myself from that thread:

I have heard she had miscarriage before that pregnancy and if that is the case, she maybe just waited until at least the critical first 12 weeks were over. The question really is, at what stage of a pregnancy is an actress obliged to inform the producers and writers about a it? The moment she unwraps the pregnancy test?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I have heard she had miscarriage before that pregnancy and if that is the case, she maybe just waited until at least the critical first 12 weeks were over. The question really is, at what stage of a pregnancy is an actress obliged to inform the producers and writers about a it? The moment she unwraps the pregnancy test?
    That may or may not be true. What struck me when reading this is that the idea that Joss was angry specifically because Charisma did not inform him soon enough seems to be a complete invention by the fandom. For all we know, Charisma may have informed Joss the minute she realized her cycle was behind schedule. All I can see is that Charisma herself and a handful of the writers are stating categorically that Charisma has never been accused of not informing production soon enough.

Thanks

I think it in part depends on the nature of the production, her role, the timing of the pregnancy, etc. There's no reason why a recurring actress who doesn't even know if she'll be asked to appear on the series once she's showing ought to inform the writers ASAP-- not knowing these things was a risk they took by not making her a regular. Likewise, if the production is scheduled to wrap before it becomes impractical to disguise her pregnancy with simple clothing and camera tricks, I don't see it as a particularly urgent obligation.

OTOH, if she's a series regular who expects to hit nine months three-fourths of the way through the season, it would be irresponsible to not tell the writers as soon as she's sure. They have to handle the schedules of dozens, if not hundreds, of people, and the episode order is likely going to be planned half a year or so in advance. It's possible that crucial scenes will have to be shifted to earlier in production, they may have to hire body doubles, the costuming department needs to know what to stock, etc.

The flip side, of course, is that the writers also have to show a modicum of discretion. If an actress tells them she's pregnant on a timely manner, it's tacky and gross for them to steal her thunder by announcing it, especially during the risky first trimester. Rumors may circulate, but they shouldn't get stoked by the writers.

Thanks

But the thing is:

Charisma claims Joss got angry at her because she got pregnant.

The question on how soon an actor should inform her employees of a pregnancy is an interesting one, but it does not relate to Charisma, because according to herself, Tim, David and Steven and as far as I have been able to gather, nobody involved with the show has ever suggested that the problem had anything to do with when Charisma informed production she was pregnant.

If Charisma had kept her pregnancy to herself for the first trimester, then we could discuss whether or not she was right to keep it secret, considering her importance to the show and all the other people who work on it. However, that is purely hypothetical.

The idea that Charisma kept her pregnancy to herself (however long) could easily be used as justification for Joss's anger with her. Charisma has therefore asked journalists to stop propagating the idea that she hid it, and I think the fandom should do the same.

Thanks

True, but I failed to properly attach my reply to a previous post in this thread that asked a hypothetical regarding when it was important. To be clear, I don't think CC hid her pregnancy-- I've never seen a verified quote to the effect that she did, and there would be no reason for writers to side with her over Whedon, even after all this time.

Thanks

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Charisma Carpenter was Second Lead in AtS. AtS S5 needed James Marsters and James demanded compensation comparable to what he was making in BtVS S7. Charisma's being a regular in AtS S5 would likely require she remain Second Lead. As-is, 'the producers' didn't want to pay David Boreanaz a higher salary than James and Screen Actors Guild rules are the ONLY reason he was for AtS S5.

* Joss Whedon didn't like how Charisma Carpenter publicly reacted to the Cordy/Connor stuff. Charisma, after AtS began, publicly said things like she would have been a better Buffy than Sarah Michelle Gellar is, that the studio and sets for AtS are far better than BtVS's, etc. Meanwhile David Boreanaz remained humble and never much complained about storylines.

And essentially the main reason she's Second Lead in AtS is because David Greenwalt created Angel and Greenwalt wanted Charisma as Second Lead of AtS.

* Charisma's pregnancy was a 'problem' in a similar way if Sarah Michelle Gellar became pregnant in BtVS S4-S5.

Charisma obviously wanted a Angel/Cordy baby. Angel/Cordy was never popular enough for the AtS writers to actually do an Angel/Cordy relationship.

* Anyway, Cordelia Chase wasn't actually much useful to the Buffyverse after BtVS S1. She was supposed to simply show what pre-Slayer Buffy was like. The writers had to get her into a relationship with Xander and then Wesley for her to remain relevant. Then the nonsense and offensiveness of AtS happened. Cordy somehow becomes more powerful than Buffy and even becomes a 'god' because she's somehow so 'pure' and 'perfect'. Cordy becomes a 'god' at the time that Willow becomes world-endingly evil and Buffy fully gets out of her depression that started sometime during BtVS S5 or before.