Thread: Season 5

Thanks
    Thanked 8,667 Times in 4,168 Posts

Default Season 5

There are only a couple of threads for season 5 episodes, so I thought I'd start one to discuss the whole of the season.

I enjoyed S4, and the set up for S5 was so good I was really looking forward to it. Episode 1 (which I've commented on in that thread) was good, but not as good as I'd expected. I'm sure the season will improve.

- - - Updated - - -

5.02 The House of Black and White

Loved Arya's entrance to Braavos, with the amazing statues, the huge buildings, the blue waters, Braavos seems like a wonderful place. Her whole story is the most compelling in the episode. I am looking forward to seeing her train to become an assassin.

Poor Brienne, neither of the Stark daughters want her services. What is this relationship between Sansa and Baelish?
    Whatever it is, I don't like it.

Once again, Varys and Tyrion are great together. How Varys restrains himself from slapping Tyrion is beyond me. I like that Tyrion can admit that he liked the power he had in Kings Landing, and that's why he'd never leave, that's some obvious growth in character.

Sam speaking up for Jon was so good. I've grown to like Jon, although it's taken 4 seasons, and I think he deserves Sams loyalty, and to be in charge of the Watch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (18-04-19)

Thanks

5.03 HIgh Sparrow

Margery onto her third husband She's such an arch manipulator, I can't help but like her. The way she talks to Cersei, I don't imagine she's long for this world.

Sansa and Ramsay. OMG, that's just cruel. Sansa is used by everyone, I feel so sorry for her. Isn't she already married to Tyrion, so how can she marry Ramsay?

Jon Snow beheading the cowardly commander reminded me so much of Ned Stark in S1. Jon is finally becoming the man he is meant to be.

Cersei does seem to surround herself with the most unfortunate people. Qyburn is just so weird and the High Sparrow is too good to be true. I don't know why Cersei is befriending him, apart from getting rid of the High Septon, it seems an odd alliance.

Jorah! So happy to see him again, even if he is drinking himself into oblivion and kidnapping dwarfs.

Actually this was quite a disappointing episode.

Thanks

Sansa's marriage to Tyrion was never technically 'consummated'. I ♥ Margaery too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0iDuyyGYWo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-04-19)

Thanks

5.04 Sons of the Harpy

I don't understand why Cersei is arming the religious militants and encouraging a holy war. She's not stupid, she knows how dangerous an armed militia can be, and one that's fueled by religious zealotry is a thousand times worse. Poor Tommen caught in the middle of this war between his wife and his mother, he's just a child and could become a good man, given half a chance.

Why does Jaime love Cersei? She's not a nice person, she's cruel and mean and dangerous. I love her as a character, but really why would anyone fall in love with her?

Usually the production values of this show are amazing, but the scenes set in Dorne, which I thought was a desert kingdom, looked as though they'd been filmed on a beach in Wales in February.

The ending was shocking. Poor Barriston and Grey Worm. How is Dany going to make this right and bring peace back?

- - - Updated - - -

5.05 Kill The Boy

Ok, I'm now a Jon Snow convert. I really liked him freeing the Wilding and asking him to bring the Wildings back beyond the wall, to join him, and fight with him. He really is a good leader. He knew The Watch would be against him, but he did it anyway, with logical argument.

How insane is Ramsay, and is it wrong that I've a little crush on the terrible Roose Bolton? It won't end well, but I like how Roose pokes at Ramsay and picks at his scabs.

The stoneman pulling Tyrion down under the water, oh my god, that was so scary. Then to see Jorah had been touched by a stoneman, that was heartbreaking.

- - - Updated - - -

5.06 Unbowed Unbent Unbroken

How much more can poor Jorah take.

Jerome singing! Who can forget the joys of Robson&Jerome topping the charts. The Dornish scenes still look as though they were filmed in Wales in February. Who the heck are these three teenage girls? I have to agree with Jerome 'oh ffs', they're hardly the most dangerous people we've ever seen, and their boots are ridiculous. The whole Dorne story just feels like filler.

Nice to see Lady Tyrell return. That kangaroo court, led by the High Sparrow, was just horrible. All Cersei's doing of course.

It's nice to see Sansa being underestimated again, and surprising the nasty Miranda. Sansa really is so cool after being such a silly whiny child. I actually liked the setting of her wedding, in the snowy darkness, very vampire-ish. Pity it's to the vile perverted Ramsay. I don't know what was more unbearable, Sansa's face or Theon's face. It has to rate as the most horrible scene in GoT so far, and there have been quite a few contenders.

- - - Updated - - -

5.07 The Gift

I love the snow. Everything just looks better in snow. Except Sam and Gilly having sex. That has to be one of the worst things I have ever seen on television. I pray to god we never see the like again.

Theon and Sansa are my biggest worry, what will become of them.

That High Sparrow is a monster in waiting isn't he. He pretends he cares, but his rules are as bad as the masters he says he's against. He even managed to surprise Cersei and it felt so good to see her caught in her own web.

Why would those sisters save Bronn? Those girls are about 40 years younger than he is, and they are meant to be hardcore assassins. Very weak. I hope their mother grounds them.

Jorah! Someone needs to cure him of the stone plague, Dany needs to marry him and together they need to sit on the iron throne.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (25-04-19),Stoney (23-04-19),TriBel (22-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,645 Times in 5,660 Posts

Sansa's progression, the shifts and changes in her character are great. I'm looking forward to rewatching the show and seeing her again from the start, knowing where she goes.

I love how much you like Jorah.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-04-19),StateOfSiege97 (25-04-19)

Thanks

I liked Sansa from the start and had a lot of sympathy for her, and that sympathy has only grown. She was psychologically tortured by Joffrey, pawed over by Baelish and now physically tortured by Ramsay. How she hasn't got permanent ptsd is beyond me. The others in her family have powers that help them fight back, but she's got nothing but herself. (Her and Rickon I guess, but we've not seen much of him)

I love Jorah, he's a tortured hero, trying to reclaim the hero mantle. What's not to like? Plus Iain Glenn's got a charm about him, and such a gravelly voice. He loves Dany, he truly loves her and I do believe he'd sacrifice himself for her. I am hoping he survives, but now he's got that Stone Plague I guess he'll die a brave and valiant death defending Dany or a city full of innocents.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (25-04-19),Stoney (23-04-19)

Thanks

That's one of the reasons I ♥ Sansa. She just has nothing but her wits to keep her alive. She has one of the best character arcs since Willow.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-04-19),StateOfSiege97 (25-04-19)

Thanks

5.08 Hardhome

The final scenes were so well done. The silence beyond the gates was so scary, I didn't know what to expect, but when those White Walkers began attacking it was horrifying, especially those children. GoT does this kind of violent battle scenes better than any show I've seen because they know how to build tension until it's unbearable, and seemingly endless. The army of the dead rising was just terrifying. Just an amazing set piece of television. Wonderful.

To see Cersei in prison being tortured by nuns, is just so perfect. I know she survives and what happens to her, but I don't know how it changes her, or if it does.

Tyrion would be an excellent adviser for Dany. I also appreciate him talking for my wonderful, love struck, Jorah. He's now on my list with Sansa and Theon - what is to become of these 3 powerless people. I can only hope he finds a cure for the Stone disease.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (25-04-19),Stoney (24-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

If I'd have known you were doing this, I could have saved myself £12 buying the damned thing. I've seen it all before but I couldn't remember it. "The Stone disease", I've just had thoughts about this in relation to S8 - that's all I'm saying. I feel really bad because I never warmed to either of the Stark girls and I don't know why. I understand what I'm supposed to feel but I don't actually feel it. I simply feel inadequate.

Theon...what am I supposed to feel for Theon? He irritates me - as do all his tribe.

Davos, Jorah and Varys - love them - which is probably the kiss of death.

TBH, I've only re-watched the first two episodes and I got a bit bored.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-04-19)

Thanks

Does the Stone disease have a name? I'm sure it does, I just can't remember what it is.

Arya and Sansa are both such cool customers, I can understand why people don't warm to them. Arya is so single minded and Sansa has been pretty much a pawn, swept were the political tides take her. I think as both girls start to make their own decisions and do what they want to do, they become more sympathetic.

TriBel I am surprised you feel nothing for Theon. The man was tortured for a whole bloody season! It went on and on and on. And we had to suffer several sausage jokes that were not funny and in poor taste.

Yes, my loves are Jorah, Varys and Davos. They are great and probably my favourite characters.

Thanks

TriBel I am surprised you feel nothing for Theon. The man was tortured for a whole bloody season! It went on and on and on. And we had to suffer several sausage jokes that were not funny and in poor taste.
    In mitigation, I didn't like him before he was captured. For me, his only redeeming feature is he's not Ramsey Bolton. And it didn't go on and on for me because I got into the habit of fast forwarding it after the first sausage appeared (or disappeared) . I hate all Grayjoys and all the Iron Islanders. They live on an island, which by definition is surrounded by water. Why do they all look as though they haven't had a wash?

It could be worse. Apparently, Alfie Allen auditioned for Jon.

And bugger...I've just found out what happens to him in S8 (stupid Independent!)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-04-19)

Bronze Party-Goer StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

The Stone Disease is called Gray Scale:

Think about the grey, risen growths on
    on the face of Princess Shireen—

I agree about Sansa: I always thought she had more
    in her than she fully showed, even in the first seasons: the
    way she pled for Ned's life, the side comments she made
    to Jeoffry, the way she could look the Hound in the face, even
    the way she looked at Ned and told him how long it had been
    since she had played with dolls when he tried to placate her
    with one for the slaughter of Lady—these and other small
    but significant gestures showed the strength, its
    metallic flexibility, as well as the quickness of mind dwelling
    within her... Her desire to be good and proper led her to
    hold it down—to not even fully know it, to not even fully
    know herself... Not until the ceaseless blows—loss, violence,
    betrayal, abuse—forced both to the surface...

Watching this unfold provides one of the later seasons' pleasures—

Otherwise, yes to Jon: ethicality, vision, intelligence, care...

(Even if it took me over a season to warm up to him, as he looks
    almost exactly like my abusive bastard of an ex... )

And absolutely yes to Anya—I can't comprehend why she
    would leave one cold...

And to Tyrion—

And yes, I do like Sam—perhaps it is the academic in me, but
    his intelligence and growing wisdom, his courage when it counts,
    his sense of humor—especially given what he suffered...

As for Jorah... Here, again, I have to differ: he is a lovely
    character, but I do not love him, certainly do not see him as the
    proper consort for Dany—she needs someone who sees her
    tyrannical tendencies and will be willing to say no to them,
    which he would never be able to do, given the shape of his
    love, the wonderousness with which it is bound... I find him
    admirable, and I very much do not want him to die, but
    further than that—I suppose that there is a strangely traditional
    streak in him, something the characters I most admire lack...

And yes, yes, Varys...

And for Theon, pained sympathy: yes, he betrayed—yes, stupid
    narcissism, which leads him into stupider cruelty and defeat—but
    oh he pays, pays far more than any man deserves... And he
    does what he can to redeem...

As for Cersei arming the Faith Militant: remember Tywin's words
    about how it was not that he did not trust her because she was
    a woman—he did not trust her because she was not as smart as
    she thought she was... Her delusions about her brilliance, now that
    she lacks anyone to check her, as Tywin did, that is what leads her
    to arm them, for she cannot believe that anyone—especially a
    man of the dirty lower classes—could be smarter than she...

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 25-04-19 at 04:33 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

Stoney (25-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    In mitigation, I didn't like him before he was captured. For me, his only redeeming feature is he's not Ramsey Bolton. And it didn't go on and on for me because I got into the habit of fast forwarding it after the first sausage appeared (or disappeared) . I hate all Grayjoys and all the Iron Islanders. They live on an island, which by definition is surrounded by water. Why do they all look as though they haven't had a wash?

It could be worse. Apparently, Alfie Allen auditioned for Jon.

And bugger...I've just found out what happens to him in S8 (stupid Independent!)
    Oh no, Alfie Allen is great as Theon, but I don't think he'd be particularly compelling as Jon. Although it took me 4 season to find Jon compelling in any way.

Ooo interesting, so Theon survives to S8? I thought Ramsay would have killed him before then.

- - - Updated - - -

5.09 The Dance of Dragons

After the last episode, I thought this was going to be a bit of an anti-climax, but . . . Shireen. How can Stannis do this? I hope they all die horrible deaths. The soldiers just stood by and did nothing. At least her mother tried.

The whole Dornish centred story was a bit dull. I didn't care about Jaime's daughter or the 3 girl-assassins. I think Arya could have dispatched them easily. I only wish she could nip round to Dany's place and dispatch Daario too. He's just a gasbag braggart.

Dany's face when Jorah stood in the fighting pit . . . I ship it, I cannot help it . . . the way her breath caught when he was cut . . . oh my god she was going to let him die, she wouldn't have forgiven herself . . . then he saves her life and she takes his hand. That was better for me than any dragon . . . though I was happy to see the dragon turn up.

- - - Updated - - -

5.10 Mother's Mercy

Oh poor Cersei. This humiliation will be punished, of that I have no doubts. The High Sparrow's days are certainly numbered. As with all the torture scenes on this show, it went on too long, it was too much. The directors certainly appreciate the power of a humiliated body to be used for dramatic effect.

Death was the best that could happen to Stannis. I don't think, even at the end, he realised the crown wasn't worth his family, but he didn't hide from death so maybe he did realise what a fool he'd been.

Yes Theon and Sansa making a run for it. Yes Arya wearing her first face. Hello Varys, so glad to see you in Mireen. I have no worries about Dany, she can look after herself. I know Jon comes back so I'm not so worried about him either.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (25-04-19)

Thanks

Oh no, Alfie Allen is great as Theon, but I don't think he'd be particularly compelling as Jon. Although it took me 4 season to find Jon compelling in any way.

Ooo interesting, so Theon survives to S8? I thought Ramsay would have killed him before then.
    Oops - sorry for that. I'm so busy trying not to give you spoilers for S8 that I forgot you hadn't seen 6&7.

I didn't find Jon compelling but nor did I find him unlikeable. I think, as one would expect, he was over-shadowed by Robb in the first couple of seasons. Theon I actively disliked as Theon and as Reek. For me, it's quite interesting that the person who brings him down, Ramsay, is the most repulsive person in GoT - even worse than Joffrey. It's as though the text is telling me, however much Theon repels you, there's someone who repels you more.

Stannis - I liked at the beginning but possibly because Davos respected him. Maybe I was seeing him through Davos' eyes. IDK. I need to think through some of the pairings.

I'll try to get more episodes in - wasted time yesterday with Antman and Wasp

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-04-19)

Thanks

Didn't you enjoy Antman & The Wasp? I thought it was okay, but Paul Rudd can do little wrong in my eyes

Oh now I don't know if Theon lives or dies!!! I've been trying to avoid spoilers for S8, though what I know for definite is that Jon, Sansa and Arya all survive, and I'm guessing Dany, Tyrion, Cersei and Jaimie all survive too, but apart from those lead characters I don't have a clue. I'm a Jorah/Dany shipper and a Gendry/Arya shipper so I'm hopeful Jorah and Gendry survive. (When I say shipper, it's nowhere near the levels of Spuffy, but thinking about the pairs together does make me happy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Didn't you enjoy Antman & The Wasp? I thought it was okay, but Paul Rudd can do little wrong in my eyes

Oh now I don't know if Theon lives or dies!!! I've been trying to avoid spoilers for S8, though what I know for definite is that Jon, Sansa and Arya all survive, and I'm guessing Dany, Tyrion, Cersei and Jaimie all survive too, but apart from those lead characters I don't have a clue. I'm a Jorah/Dany shipper and a Gendry/Arya shipper so I'm hopeful Jorah and Gendry survive. (When I say shipper, it's nowhere near the levels of Spuffy, but thinking about the pairs together does make me happy)
    Huh...he's hardly Tony is he? What he sees in Pepper is beyond me (though, TBH, I thought the same of Shakespeare and the Coldplay guy). About the rest - I have a finger on my lips!

Thanks

Ah well I'm not a big fan of Tony, so I wish him and Pepper all the luck in the world