Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GoT Season 8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 720 Posts

Rereading the books, and I just came across the tidbit that Nymeria is named after a queen who explored and found a new land.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

TriBel (Yesterday)

Thanks

Great comments from all - I did not want to post anything until I had a chance to watch again and watch some of the youtube channels that I find especially interesting - just very quick respond on Stoney's comment regarding the No Mention of Tyrion in the history book - totally agree, it's complete nonsense in fact I found the entire scene a big waste. Tyrion's role was established by the fact that he was the Hand of the King all that time - the only possible connection to the "not mentioned" is Vary's telling Tyrion that the people of King's Landing would not know how Tyrion saved their city and thousands of lives. This scene took one of the most powerful and tragic elements of the earlier season and events of Tyrion's life and used it to make nonsensical cheap humor - Because when Tywin comes charging into the keep it was like he became the savior of the city and its people instead of Tyrion's plans and all his efforts were meaningless.

Anyway I will post more of my reactions later - Here is one of the reviews that I particularly liked on the tragic character of Daenerys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ZqKVmkze8

Again - good reading the comments - thank all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,816 Posts

Stoney's comment regarding the No Mention of Tyrion in the history book - totally agree, it's complete nonsense in fact I found the entire scene a big waste.
    As I said, I liked that and it made perfect sense to me. There's a reason (sadly) we have "Black History Month"; "Women's History Month". It's a truism to say "History is written by the victors" but, generally, it is. The victors tend to be white, upper/middle class, straight, men. The norm - not the other. When people do intervene in "history" it's labelled revisionism, as though history (as given) is the truth - a singular truth. The past is diverse - History isn't. Brecht knew it - that's why he wrote A Worker Reads History and asked "Who built the seven gates of Thebes?" As he says, "The books are filled with names of kings". Where's the history of the oppressed, the vanquished, the working class, women, gay people, black people and...well, people like Tyrion?

At best, Tyrion'll become a footnote in history - a novelty. At worst, he'll become a caricature (as at Joffrey's wedding). Jon Snow. He's the stuff legends are made of. He's just waiting for someone like Sir Walter Scott to write his story. Sansa's set to become Queen Elizabeth 1 - her story will be recorded but she won't write it herself. It will be written as though she's a man in the shape and garb of a woman (which is why I said "Lady's dead). Dany will become the bogeyman, a tale to threaten uppity young girls with. Arya's set to become an abstract concept. Varys may well go the way of people like Alan Turing. Tyrion's written out because he doesn't fit the profile of a hero (didn't Tywin imply as much after Blackwater?). Jaime's written in because he does.

This scene took one of the most powerful and tragic elements of the earlier season and events of Tyrion's life and used it to make nonsensical cheap humor - Because when Tywin comes charging into the keep it was like he became the savior of the city and its people instead of Tyrion's plans and all his efforts were meaningless.
    Yes...and, sadly, unless there is a significant shift in power structures, that's how history will record it. There's a possibility there'll be a power shift but I'm not convinced. Can you have a male hero who's a half-man?

Attempts to portray an alternative truth happen all the time - often at the level of popular culture. BtVS tried it in the Giles mini and I read accusations of revisionism from some sectors of fandom. Similarly, Dr Who:

"In 2007, Doctor Who, then in the form of David Tennant, took a trip to Shakespeare’s London in an episode set in 1599. The depiction of the Elizabethan capital, replete with its small black population, led to another charge of historical inaccuracy. The programme makers were accused of distorting British history in the name of political correctness. Sound familiar?

The online campaign against historical diversity raised its banners again earlier this year. For a second time, their target was the time lord, who by then had regenerated into the more grizzled figure of Peter Capaldi. This time, the doctor had time-travelled to regency London and again black faces could be seen in the crowd. Walking around the London of 1814 the doctor’s companion, Bill Potts, played by the mixed-race Pearl Mackie, noted that the city was “a bit more black than they show in the movies”. “So was Jesus,” quipped the doctor. “History’s a whitewash.” On both occasions, the historical evidence upon which the writers based these scenes is uncontested. Yet still accusations of historical inaccuracy were levelled and angry voices raised online."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-for-centuries

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,591 Times in 5,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    It's a truism to say "History is written by the victors" but, generally, it is. The victors tend to be white, upper/middle class, straight, men. The norm - not the other. When people do intervene in "history" it's labelled revisionism, as though history (as given) is the truth - a singular truth. The past is diverse - History isn't. Brecht knew it - that's why he wrote A Worker Reads History and asked "Who built the seven gates of Thebes?" As he says, "The books are filled with names of kings". Where's the history of the oppressed, the vanquished, the working class, women, gay people, black people and...well, people like Tyrion?

At best, Tyrion'll become a footnote in history - a novelty. At worst, he'll become a caricature (as at Joffrey's wedding). Jon Snow. He's the stuff legends are made of. He's just waiting for someone like Sir Walter Scott to write his story. Sansa's set to become Queen Elizabeth 1 - her story will be recorded but she won't write it herself. It will be written as though she's a man in the shape and garb of a woman (which is why I said "Lady's dead). Dany will become the bogeyman, a tale to threaten uppity young girls with. Arya's set to become an abstract concept. Varys may well go the way of people like Alan Turing. Tyrion's written out because he doesn't fit the profile of a hero (didn't Tywin imply as much after Blackwater?). Jaime's written in because he does.
    Of course to many of the people of the kingdoms Tyrion is also immensely privileged too, even if his diminutive stature also leads them to pity or dismiss him as well. There is always the matter of varying perspectives and often multiple from each each individual. But in terms of the pov of those that are recording the facts as they wish to present them, I really do like this point about who writes it is what matters to what is recorded. In this sense I really do love the point that you raise at the contrast with Jaime. That Brienne wanted to ensure what he'd done was recorded and her pov of who he was and what she felt about him greatly influenced that kind of underlines the point. I think both still work towards raising the point of why we do what we do. Brienne wanting to see some acts taken at his most honourable weren't forgotten and Tyrion's personal desire to be acknowledged still plaguing him despite his constant driving desire to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Stoney; Yesterday at 11:32 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (Yesterday)

Thanks

Interesting - or not as the case might be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,385 Times in 3,516 Posts

Tyrion putting everyone in a crypt really struck me when I watched that episode. It was just a very stupid thing to do!
    Plus of course, as a Dany fan, I pretty much agree that all those 'I am not my father. I am not mad' scenes were ridiculous when the show was saying at the end that you cannot fight your DNA, which personally I found very depressing. I also had a problem with Emilia Clarke's acting, the face pulling was silly.

But i would say GoT ending was nowhere near as bad as Lost. That show had the worst ending ever. I remember the outcry at the time, people were distraught

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (Today)

Thanks

The crypt got me. Though I was kinda hoping there'd be a twist and Ned and Lyanna would inadvertently be resurrected. But yeah...as the man says "What's going on with Ghost? The complete lack of love for dire-wolves..." I actually thought that telegraphed where Jon would end up.

Lost: was there a polar bear in the first episode? If so, that's the point when I stopped watching.
    Last edited by TriBel; Today at 09:15 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post

But i would say GoT ending was nowhere near as bad as Lost. That show had the worst ending ever. I remember the outcry at the time, people were distraught
    I never got the hate for the Lost ending. I didn't care much at all for the sidways universe stuff, but the island stuff was pretty good.