Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GoT Season 8

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

To be fair I sometimes spell it Danaerys.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    To be fair I sometimes spell it Danaerys.
    Retribution

Oh...FFS! There are complaints on Youtube about the fact Drogon got more airtime than the others!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (13-05-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (13-05-19)

Thanks

Mama's boy!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (13-05-19),TriBel (13-05-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The problem with Game of Thrones is that the series made Dany too powerful too quickly and then had her make very stupid mistakes and the series became very stupid in order to continue the series.

Things would have been over (in reality) once Dany got Tyrion as Hand. The series tried to make us forget that Dany had 93 ships. The series made the Unsullied relatively crappy fighters even though we were told they were the best fighters in the world. Dany locked up her dragons. Dany didn't kill the slavers and take all their money. Dany didn't take over the Iron Bank.

Dany's dragons grew too quickly to generate excitement for the series. But that led to abysmal storytelling.

Thanks

As someone who doesn't watch it but heard a rant about the leak...it sounds stupid even to me. Make of that what you will.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (14-05-19),TriBel (13-05-19)

Thanks

Well bugger me - that was a bit relentless! My money's on a fine upstanding gent like Pol Pot, Adolf Hitler or Joe Stalin taking the Iron Throne. Is Arya dead? Where did the unicorn come from?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (14-05-19)

Thanks

Hope no one inadvertently posts a spoiler - after all this time I still want to see the ending without leaked info.

Regarding the Dragons - historically the dragons go through a bonding with their riders so Drogon being the most connected to Daenerys is what would be expected.

There are many things that I had problems with in this episode but my greatest disappointment was the treatment of Cersei and Jamie and I have to admit to being somewhat dismayed by how many reviews and comments have been made on how this last minute attempt to humanized Cersie has been well received. She and Jamie made choices all their lives to follow his "it's only the two of us that matter" - thousands of parents losts their children with the destruction of Kings Landing and Cersie is responsible for their deaths equal to Daenerys. Cersie was a monster and continued to be one for all the tears and last moment I Want To Live Tears. I have zero sympathy for her and found their lovers reunion disturbing. I hated It. Second theme that I totally hated was the, IMO, useless ending of Euron and his encounter with Jamie - a complete waste of screen time.

Back later to read more - off to real life needs right now.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 14-05-19 at 06:03 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (14-05-19),Priceless (13-05-19),Stoney (13-05-19),TriBel (13-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,385 Times in 3,516 Posts

I thought what a coincidence that Jamie was just passing the exact same spot that Euron, just in that same moment, washed ashore. Laughable

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (14-05-19),cil_domney (14-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,591 Times in 5,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Perhaps Ned was in the shower and it was all a dream.

I've no idea what the leaked ending ideas are and don't want to know, but this was just hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    There are many things that I had problems with in this episode but my greatest disappointment was the treatment of Cersei and Jamie and I have to admit to being somewhat dismayed by how many reviews and comments have been made on how this last minute attempt to humanized Cersie has been well received. She and Jamie made choices all their lives to follow his "it's only the two of us that matter" - thousands of parents losts their children with the destruction of Kings Landing and Cersie is responsible for their deaths equal to Daenerys. Cersie was a monster and continued to be one for all the tears and last moment I Want To Live Tears. I have zero sympathy for her and found their lovers reunion disturbing. I hated It. Second theme that I totally hated was the, IMO, useless ending of Euron and his encounter with Jamie - a complete waste of screen time.
    Well I can't deny that I was disappointed in the direction that Jaime's story took. But I can accept it as a bleak story rather than a positive redemption. I think that he was in part trying to end the war but was in the main trying to save/return to Cersei despite feeling that she brought out the worst in him and gave him such self loathing. I still see the potential he had that he reached for in standing by his principles and going to fight with those of the north against the white walkers, the admiration and respect he had for Brienne, but that he couldn't break away from the mindset and loyalties that he had spent a lifetime bending to. It is so morose to see that his story showed his potential but ultimately concluded that sometimes people don't break away. It did work alongside Daenerys showing also that sometimes people just succumb to the worst of themselves too. Both stories are bleak but I think still strong paths, just not uplifting ones like we may have hoped for. Daenerys' story is possibly not over, but I am working on the assumption that Cersei and Jaime just died together.

It seems that it will now be about Jon vs Daenerys. I've no idea/opinion of the way that it might go but felt that the moment that Jon called for the army to retreat was a deliberate act of command against Daenerys. He was steering the survivors of the city to escape her wrath. Her choice to act as she did was so violent and destructive, I hope that we get more from her perspective in what comes but I'm not sure who, if anyone, will be beside her anymore. The unsullied perhaps, but I'm not convinced Tyrion will even try but will just stand by Jon now. Sad to see Varys go as he did and especially as it seems he was right.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (14-05-19),StateOfSiege97 (14-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 720 Posts

My guess is that Jon, like Ned Stark, is gonna die because of the irrational ruler. Then Dani is gonna go destroy Winterfell to get back at Cersei. She'll kill everyone we love and the final scene will be Dani on the iron throne rubbing her hands together and saying "mwahaha."
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-05-19)

Thanks

The only possible way to bring Dany back from this horrific slaughter would be that it was done to make an absolute statement that forces all to see that the Westeros corruption and system power structures Must Be Eradicated and Can Never Again Be Tolerated. She makes this statement to Tyrion that this Mercy and Show of Reality is all about the future generations not their immediate time. That She becomes the Nuclear Holocaust to force people to change – I would love for this to be her ultimate motivation and not some Mad Queen on a rampage and slaughter. At least there would be some attempt to bring a rational process for the choice she made. However, after watching the section of the episode when the Bell begins to ring – I have to say that she looks in no way insane – she seems to be fully aware and makes her choice to continue with her attack. I like to think it was not just vengeance on Cersei otherwise she would have gone for the direct attack on the Red Keep but instead she goes on the massive destruction option. Anyone remember that film with Samual Jackson where he thinks bringing on an apocalypse is what the world needs.
    Anyone have theories on how Bran may continue to play a role in the finale? I still think that Bran is responsible for guiding that white horse to Arya.
    So much Ranting over at Youtube – this one had me laughing out loud – you might like taking a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBoAe9G7AQ

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (14-05-19),Priceless (14-05-19),StateOfSiege97 (14-05-19),TriBel (14-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,385 Times in 3,516 Posts

That rant was great. He said everything I think we're all feeling, or very much what I'm feeling. He also mentioned Euron being washed up on the same beach just as Jamie's passing, which certainly made me roll my eyes.

Thanks

Oh to be honest I got bored...I was desensitized to the violence after the first 40 minutes. Seeing Euron killed over and over on a loop would have been more satisfying.

cil_domney

The only possible way to bring Dany back from this horrific slaughter would be that it was done to make an absolute statement that forces all to see that the Westeros corruption and system power structures Must Be Eradicated and Can Never Again Be Tolerated.
    So Varys didn't die in vain? Happy to go along with this. I think the fact that Varys was absent his **** (or phallus) but wasn't a woman, is quite significant.

Anyone remember that film with Samual Jackson where he thinks bringing on an apocalypse is what the world needs.
    Yeah...but I think he stole that idea from God.

Is Anya dead? Was this a resurrection? Just asking for a friend.
    Last edited by TriBel; 14-05-19 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks

I have to be honest, I had to stop watching that vid rant as it was making me really frustrated. I agree with him at how dissatisfied I felt with Jaime's arc having his redemption fall apart. I get it, I feel the same. But that isn't the story that they decided to tell so I think you have to look at what was there to try and follow what happened as it didn't go the way you felt it would. It doesn't make Jaime's travel to Winterfell and brief sexual relationship with Brienne all about fan service. It amazes me the number of times I hear people talking about fan service and how it generally ties to something having happened that they personally dislike. But then I'd only tend to see something as fan service if it made zero sense and there was no narrative coherence to it. You could surely argue that the way he is ranting about where Jaime's story went after him/Brienne slept together is evidence that it wasn't a fan servicing storyline as it's causing such dissatisfaction. In my opinion Jaime really was trying to better himself, he responded to the call to fight the white walkers because he felt strongly that it was right to do that. He slept with Brienne because he truly cared for her, admired her and had been caught up in forming the person he was looking to become and she greatly represented that new him/life. But when he heard that Cersei was likely to fail/fall he couldn't be the person that he was trying to be anymore. Despite knowing that she brought out the worst in him he couldn't stop himself going back. Perhaps he had been hoping to sway her to end the war even before Tyrion asked him to. Or maybe he was just trying to get back to her to try to protect her and stay with her again. But the direction he took doesn't make no sense. Is it the story that I hoped he was going to get? No it definitely isn't. But disliking something, being disappointed in it, isn't the same as it being trash.

I'm not sure there is anything that rescues what Daenerys has done to be honest Cil, but it's an interesting suggestion and I'll be fascinated how they put it across if they take it in that direction.
    Last edited by Stoney; 14-05-19 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks

Stoney
    "He slept with Brienne because he truly cared for her, admired her and had been caught up in forming the person he was looking to become and she greatly represented that new him/life. But when he heard that Cersei was likely to fail/fall he couldn't be the person that he was trying to be anymore"

I actually do agree with you - he could not stay with Brienne once Sansa tells him how much she would love to be there when Cersei is executed. The payback's a bitch and now Cersei will face the consequences of all her schemes to use Sansa to manipulate Ned Stark's confession. The sins of the father going on to their children is certainly being played out now - Cersei is a cold blooded killer and monster and she created and enabled Joffrey who was the same as his parents.

It's a tragic failure for Jamie that he can't change from his fundamental character but it's more realistic that he does return to Cersei - still, it would have been a lot more personally satisfying for me if he had not gone back. But I'm always hoping for the "redemption" with characters and people who are trying to change their lives for something better and Jamie did some great good from his relationship with Brienne.

Unfortunately for my theory of Dany as Nuclear Deterrent from the interviews by series creators it seems the Mad Queen premise brought out by all the personal tragedies, pain and emotional trauma and isolation is what they were working from. I hope that the finale will touch back on what Dany meant by her Mercy For Generations it certainly was given a big dramatic point in that scene.

What are your thoughts on Tyrion - I'm not getting all the mistakes he has made as the war advisor unless how he is being used as a symbol of how familial love and empathy and respect for other human beings must be one of the foundations for human societies. Dany described Tyrion as ruthless when needed but I don't see him as ruthless.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Stoney (15-05-19)

Thanks

I agree about Jaime, I'd really been hoping it was an upward path for him. But sadly as disappointing as where they took it is, it can hold to a coherent throughline for the character to have regressed. I'll have to dwell on Tyrion and get back to you.

Thanks

Thought you might like watching these before the Sunday finale if you have a bit of time - I enjoyed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JutLGbFR0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzZx0-kvrSQ

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (18-05-19)

Thanks

Anyone else having a finale party? The GF is having group of peeps over for the final GoT watch party. Snacks will be provided, but BYOD!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-05-19)

Thanks

I won't watch it as it airs in the UK as it is 2am Monday morning. Not that I'm not often up and around at that time but noone I watch with is and I've gotten grief in the past for watching things first during the small hours and not waiting. Monday evening though, yep, snacks and drinks. But that's the norm.

Thanks

BTW - in case anyone missed it...

Bring Yer Own Dragon

34. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-05-19)