Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are We Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting on 26th April 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Default Are We Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting on 26th April 2019

I am such a moron! I completely forgot to announce our next fic on last Friday. We will be reading and discussing

Are We Friends/Just a Summer Romance by slaymesoftly [NC-17]

from Friday 26th of April 2019 on. Because it has a word count of almost 70k words, I wanted to give everyone two weeks time to read it. The time span is now not only shorter but we are also heading towards the Easter Holidays. If you need more time, please let me know and I will extend the time limit.

There were four stories by slaymesoftly to pick from but this one (actually they are two) got the most votes.

Summary: The first story begins in the summer before season 5 and they go on into the season, but totally noncanon after the summer's possible fill-in-the-blanks. Which is probably pretty non-canon too, actually.

You can find this story on EF, ff.net, TBSV, TSR but unfortunately not on AO3. I don`t know why it`s not archived ther because slaymesoftly has a lot of her stuff on AO3. Just not those two stories. I hope everyone is okay with reading on one of the other sites.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

https://bloodshedverse.com/stories.php?go=read&no=717

https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/v....php?sid=24981

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9674307/1/Are-We-Friends

flow

ETA:

Dear slaymesoftly, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

- - - Updated - - -

I`d like to suggest for this thread that those of you, who have finished the story long before the officcial opening date simply post their comments early and put them into spoiler brackets.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 14-04-19 at 06:39 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (14-04-19),Priceless (14-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (14-04-19),Stoney (14-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,162 Posts

Just read it - which means I won't be able to remember a damned thing about it when you discuss it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19)

Thanks

Put your thoughts down right now and use the spoiler brackets!

flow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Put your thoughts down right now and use the spoiler brackets!

flow
    I don't have that much to say. "I don't think I share the same mind-set as the author" just about covers it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19)

Thanks

I started reading and might have to stop.

flow

Thanks
    Thanked 8,420 Times in 4,057 Posts

I started reading and might have to stop.

flow
    Oh you have to tell us why! Put it in spoilers if needs be

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19)

Thanks

I`m out. I`m gonna tell you why when the discussion is opened. If I put it in brackets now, you`ll probably be sneaking.

flow

Thanks
    Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,562 Posts

I'll try to get to reread it but I've a handful of things on my to dos that I'd have to clear first. I don't want to hold everyone else up though so if I don't make the deadline and everyone else does then just ignore. me.

I often find I don't share the same mind-set as the authors (probably in great part because I honestly don't want to change canon), but I can still enjoy the story. Most don't offend or greatly antagonise me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19)

Thanks

I wasn't offended or antagonized - I rarely get that involved. I just didn't find the characterization in keeping with my own ideas.

flow:

If I put it in brackets now, you`ll probably be sneaking.
    : You told me to use brackets!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I wasn't offended or antagonized - I rarely get that involved.
    Sure, me neither. I wasn't saying that you were offended or antagonised by this, it was more that for me not sharing the mindset of the author is pretty commonplace if the fic is looking a great deal at wanting to change things rather than wanting to expand on what was. But I can still like reading the ideas and enjoy the stories in those cases, because I'm so rarely actually bothered on any serious level by a fanfic.

I see why feeling the characterisation or voicing were weak would make a story less enjoyable. Again I'd say it's not an unusual thing to feel about fanfics that want to change things. Or at least for some characters to be so as the writer turns it in the direction they'd like, even if it isn't all of them. There are some I'm less bothered by being 'off' than others, or some changes that bother me less. It's far too long since I read this one to know at all what I thought of it, but yours and flow's responses make me more interested to see if I can manage to reread to see what I think.

: You told me to use brackets!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

flow:

: You told me to use brackets![/QUOTE]

Because I totally wanted to sneak!

flow

19. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,420 Times in 4,057 Posts

Well I've started reading and there's nothing so far that really grates on me. They are friends and they are going clubbing, which seems a bit odd, but everything can be odd in fanfic

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

that fic escalates very quickly for my tastes. Had to take a break after chappie 1. :/ will try to go back if I can manage to grapple with my thesis article readings lol.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelusblanc For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19),Stoney (26-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 770 Posts

I haven't re-read this in a long while, but I remember this being my first introduction to slaymesoftly's fiction, and she's a fanfic writer I love. So, based on my not very accurate memory...

Spoiler:
    hidden spoilers removed, just in case peeking proved hard to resist!

I'm looking forward to re-reading it and seeing if I feel the same as before.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19 at 10:47 PM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19),Stoney (15-04-19)

Thanks

Awwww - we are already getting into the discussion :-)

I don`t mind fics that go off the canon path. I`ve read fics with unsouled Spike past season 6 or even fics where Spike deliberately got rid of his soul. That doesn`t bother me at all. On the contrary. I think it gives me a new perspective. I don`t like claims at all, but I wouldn`t stop reading a fic because of a claim. I`ve come across many claim-fics. It`s what happens in a Spuffy fanfic moreoften than not.

I agree that Buffy and Spike seemed to be a bit teenage-y in this fic. Wanting to go out clubbing and so on. But I can perfectly go with the flow of such a characterisation. It was something else that threw me completley out of the loop. won`t tell until you have all read this fic :-)

flow

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

thenewbuzwuzz (17-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

I'm with Angelusblanc, I found the escalation a bit much and, unlike SpuffyGlitz, I found it very difficult to suspend disbelief.

Sigh...there's no such thing as a "British drawl". There's no such thing as a British accent.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

angelusblanc (15-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (17-04-19)

Thanks

Ha! Well, I'll re-read whenever I can and see if I feel differently it's been a very long time so i can't remember the details. Didn't know there was a line about British accents, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shoot! Just realised this isn't being discussed yet! I assumed spoiler brackets were allowed.

(Well, I doubt anything I've said is going to be particularly accurate as it's loosely based on memory.)

But I've removed all the the text in the spoiler brackets just in case people are tempted to peek in advance.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19 at 10:47 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

Didn't know there was a line about British accents, lol.
    There are four "national" accents - English/Scottish/Welsh and Irish and god knows how many regional accents / dialects. I sound nothing like Spike (my accent's Midlands/North West England) and I sometimes have problems understanding someone with a broad North East accent.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (15-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (17-04-19)

Thanks

I've heard of a Southern American drawl but never a British one, lol. I find accents fascinating.

TBH I'm stunned by the variety of British accents. Most don't sound remotely like the BBC accent/ colonial accent I grew up listening to- as a kid I niavely thought there was just one "British" accent and that was it (aside from some cockney accents sometimes heard in movies, which may not even be accurate who knows And it was before I watched Buffy.) There are also expressions I've never heard before - "He was stood there" instead of "He was standing there/ He stood there". It's all fascinating, and obviously there are many different regional dialects too. I sort of love them all.

Incidentally, was Spike correct to say "ass" instead of "arse"? Is his accent northern or southern? I've read contradictory accounts of it being one or the other.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks

I don`t mind fics that go off the canon path. I`ve read fics with unsouled Spike past season 6 or even fics where Spike deliberately got rid of his soul. That doesn`t bother me at all. On the contrary. I think it gives me a new perspective. I don`t like claims at all, but I wouldn`t stop reading a fic because of a claim. I`ve come across many claim-fics. It`s what happens in a Spuffy fanfic moreoften than not.
    I think if you're not willing/wanting to read fics that go off the canon path you'd be pretty restricted. Most early season fics would be total right offs (and to be honest those that just follow the story through the seasons tend to be dull to read). It depends greatly if you have any specific things you don't like to see changed. Spike's path/progression is what I love the most about the show, but I can read fics that I really enjoy a lot where he never goes in the same direction, even if I don't think they're anywhere near as good or well structured/supported as what we got. But where there are significant shifts in characterisation (such as fics as you say where Spike regrets his soul and actively chooses to lose it again, which I have read too), I tend to be more bothered if the perspective that goes with it really diminishes the positive story for the character that canon gave. There are some things I don't want to see people undermine and rewrite, and doing it after canon progresses the character to that point does that for me in a way that doing the same thing seasons before doesn't, so I tend to avoid reading them. There are soooo many fics that there's plenty to read that don't go there.

I agree that Buffy and Spike seemed to be a bit teenage-y in this fic. Wanting to go out clubbing and so on. But I can perfectly go with the flow of such a characterisation. It was something else that threw me completley out of the loop. won`t tell until you have all read this fic :-)
    I can't remember it well enough. I really hope I manage to read it in time. I had wondered if the gem featured as I know you hate that but then I remembered that this was S5, so too late. I really want to try and see if I can tell what it was as I read.

Personally if I've read a fic way in advance I just draft a response about it and save it to my computer for when the discussion starts. I think when we post before the discussion date it just means that those that don't read as fast can miss the active discussion or people post too sporadically to each other and then don't actually discuss much.

SpuffyGlitz, I think arse is British and ass is American.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-04-19 at 11:34 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (15-04-19)