Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buffy #4 from Boom

Graveyard Patrol Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Another great issue. I love the scene where Drusilla seduces Xander. However, I don't want Xander to be vamped. Do something Angel!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-04-19),flow (17-04-19),Priceless (17-04-19),TriBel (17-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

This is Bellaires reply to The Back Issue Bin's podcast on twitter -

jordie
    @whoajordie
    31m31 minutes ago

You guys have a hilarious and very fun chemistry. Thanks for the kind words and all the fun speculation...without ruining TOO much, I will say - I'm trying to subvert the expectation that niceness should be feared? Sometimes nice is just...nice!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Willow from Buffy (17-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 688 Posts

Holy shit, this issue is so awesome! Like, yeah, if you had any doubts this series is not ****ing around! Buffy and Willow are so, so likeable, Xander's stuff is kinda touching, I liked Joyce and especially Eric and wow, that last page! Excellent!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (17-04-19),TriBel (17-04-19),Willow from Buffy (17-04-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I like it. I've said before that I would bail if they kill off Xander and I would probably still do, but this issue is the first that I have absolutely no complains about. And Xander could be quite an interesting vampire character if they choose to keep him that way for some time.

Spike call Dru mistress and doesn't have any visible affection for her. It seems that their relations are very different from TV show. Their relations aren't of two lovers this time, but more similar to that of master and henchmen.

Willow. So Xander had said about his crush on Buffy, but not only she invited Robin to a date with Buffy, but even told her about Xander's crush. It feels like borderline betrayal. Which leads me to an obvious question. Is Willow even friend of Xander? And why they are hanging with each other? They have absolutely nothing in common between them.
    Last edited by Alce; 17-04-19 at 11:00 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-04-19),TriBel (18-04-19),Willow from Buffy (17-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alce View Post
    Willow. So Xander had said about his crush on Buffy, but not only she invited Robin to a date with Buffy, but even told her about Xander's crush. It feels like borderline betrayal. Which leads me to an obvious question. Is Willow even friend of Xander? And why they are hanging with each other? They have absolutely nothing in common between them.
    Yes, I wondered about this too, but I assume she simply believes she's out of his league. In HS, there is a hierarchy, and everyone just senses who are compatible.

On the show, Willow tells Buffy in IMGirl that she knows Xander hasn't got a shot with her, which I guess is why she agreed to wingman for him before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,841 Posts

Sigh. I love that they swing round to take one last dump on Buffy/Xander even in another setting, and then it looks like we're about to have what should be a pretty damn big moment for Xander... stolen by Angel.

That's just it in a nutshell, ain't it?

Banner by LRae12

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Fandango (18-04-19),Skippcomet (18-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,133 Posts

I enjoyed it. But I am at work now. I will post my thoughts later.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Graveyard Patrol HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think I've loved an issue since the 1st. To be fair, I haven't hated them either. I doubt I would ♥ any comic version. I'm guessing that Angel or Giles will save Xander, but even if they don't, they could always have Willow ensoul him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

flow (18-04-19),Priceless (18-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 531 Posts

I thought it was good. I enjoyed the Scoobies stuff and the drama with Xander. Nice spotlight on him this issue. I hope he survives. Eric seems too good to be true; I'm still suspicious of him. I know Joyce was supposed to be just teasing Buffy, but she came across as a bit mean to Buffy. The art was absolutely wonderful again, apart from Spike looking like the Hulk about to tear out of his shirt. I didn't like that at all. In any case, I am really sad about Dan Mora moving to another title.

Sadly my comics shop didn't get Angel #0. I guess that must have been reserved for the USA only.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-04-19),Stoney (19-04-19),TriBel (19-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

Double Dutchess:

The art was absolutely wonderful again, apart from Spike looking like the Hulk about to tear out of his shirt.
    The first thing the struck me was whether he'd be able to move with that shirt on! The sleeves were cutting into his arms. I think they have him on steroids - he wasn't that big in the last issue.

Sadly my comics shop didn't get Angel #0. I guess that must have been reserved for the USA only.
    I ordered mine from Forbidden Planet (UK) on the day it was announced. I've just checked and it's been dispatched.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

I got an email from Forbidden Planet which seems to suggest we get Angel #0 free with Buffy #4?? I won't get it till either tomorrow or Tuesday (damn you bank holiday Monday!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (19-04-19)

Thanks

Boom! Buffy #4:

*Unlike #3 which had too much action and less character moments, #4 was filled with character stuff, which is what I enjoy the most in any TV show or comic. I loved the first two pages with all the little panels that show us what the characters have been up to: It's been a while since Xander wrote anything in his blog which shows that he's been busy with the new world of slaying and hanging out with Buffy and Willow. It seems that even with the new changes in his life, Xander still doesn't have a life outside of slaying, which he's not so good at. He didn't have a date for Homecoming and walks home alone a lot. On the show, Xander and Willow used to be the outcasts and spent most of their time together, but here Willow's situation is a lot different. She already has other people in her life - not just Xander - and her friendship with him isn't as strong - something I've noticed since #1.

Buffy, too, doesn't have a life outside of slaying, but is adjusting better than Xander. She's good at her job: killing evil fiends is like swatting flies for her. She has formed a somewhat good relationship with Giles, still has a good relationship with her mom and her boyfriend and has feelings for a boy who obviously feels the same way about her.

Willow is managing better than Xander with a love life, magic interests that she shares with Giles and forming friendship with Buffy. She also seems to know a lot about the rest of the students at school since she had Robin's phone number.

Giles also has a life outside of slaying. He and Jenny appear to be together and he looks to be more fit and strong than the Giles we've known on the show.

* I'm really loving that Xander and Willow are being trained to be better fighters. It's just the most logical thing. I never understood why they weren't included in Buffy's training sessions on the show. They do constantly accompany Buffy on patrol and they're always in the thick of it when something dangerous happens, wouldn't it have been better for their safety and the safety of the world if they knew how to battle in the field?

* I believe that sharing the responsibility between the three kids is working better for Buffy's advantage and it's making Giles loosen up about his rules in past issues. He knows that Buffy needs to let off steam in order to function well in the upcoming fight with Drusilla and he's more capable of patrolling at least one night a week.

* I love how Buffy suggests that Willow should spend her time with her girlfriend. This sweet side of Buffy where she puts her friends' needs first was also there on the show.

* Since Willow knows about Xander's feelings for Buffy. I thought it was weird for her to invite Robin. Though I guess she had already told Xander that it was just a crush and Buffy is clearly not interested. If I were in Willow's shoes, instead of assuming things, I'd advise Xander to ask Buffy out and see how it goes. If she doesn't return his feelings, then he will know, and then Willow won't look so bad inviting Robin on a date with Buffy. Right now, she comes out very insensitive shoving Robin in Buffy's way while knowing that Xander has feelings for her.

* I personally enjoyed Buffy's scene with Joyce and Eric. Joyce is clearly a mother who was a teenager in the 90s. I loved the way she teased Buffy, it was so endearing. Eric is a great addition to the dynamic. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be evil 'cause that will be redundant.

* My favorite scene was Spike sending texts to Xander. Maybe it's the Spander in me, but that was funny.

* Spike and Dru are also fun, but I kinda miss their dynamic on the show. They don't look like they're infatuated with each other at all.

* I don't like Spike's design, though. He's too buff. Where is our favorite "sorta compact but well-muscled" vamp? That's how Xander likes him, damnit!

* In regards to Xander's depression: we are still not informed about his visits to LA. Are his parents divorced? Does he live with one parent and visit the other in LA? On the show, Xander was able to put up with his abusive homelife because of his tight friendship with Willow. Perhaps now because Willow is more occupied with her girlfriend and magic, Xander can't cope as well as he did on the show. Not to mention that during the 90s, lots of boys put on a brave face and pretend to be fine so not to be seen as weak. Xander's use of humor to mask pain and fear is a huge part of his character on the show. Nowadays, I see kids being more in touch with their feelings. Xander opens up in his blog - where he has no followers - and lets out all the negative feelings. This is probably why he must have broken down in front of Spike and Drusilla. If this scene happened on the show, Xander would have joked his way out of the situation because on the show Xander didn't know that he had a problem. This Xander knows. This Xander knows he needs help. This is a key difference between Show Xander and Boom! Xander. On the show Xander always swept his traumas under a rug and carried on, and repressing that hurt always resulted to his fits of anger and resentment since he'd never acknowledged any past pain and always blew it away with a joke.
    Made by Trickyboxes

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (19-04-19),Priceless (19-04-19),Silver1 (19-04-19),Stoney (19-04-19),TriBel (19-04-19),Willow from Buffy (19-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

Sosa Lola:

On the show Xander always swept his traumas under a rug and carried on, and repressing that hurt always resulted to his fits of anger and resentment since he'd never acknowledged any past pain and always blew it away with a joke.
    For me, this (trauma/repression) is key to an understanding of the relationship between the show and Boom. What was repressed has come to light. It's the basic premise of the uncanny, which was the aesthetic underpinning S7. TBH, it's this that's sustaining my interest in Boom! Well...this and the fact that the artwork's so pretty. I can be incredibly superficial sometimes...

Nice post BTW. I was waiting to read your thoughts on Xander.
    Last edited by TriBel; 19-04-19 at 09:32 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-04-19),Sosa lola (19-04-19),Stoney (19-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Sosa Lola:

For me, this (trauma/repression) is key to an understanding of the relationship between the show and Boom. What was repressed has come to light. It's the basic premise of the uncanny, which was the aesthetic underpinning S7. TBH, it's this that's sustaining my interest in Boom! Well...this and the fact that the artwork's so pretty. I can be incredibly superficial sometimes...

Nice post BTW. I was waiting to read your thoughts on Xander.

I kinda enjoy Show Xander more. I find him more interesting. But I do find the changes in all the characters fascinating because yeah, the Scooby Gang being born two decades later will totally make them different people.
    Made by Trickyboxes

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (19-04-19),TriBel (19-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,955 Times in 5,386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Is the Boom version interesting in its own right though? I mean without knowledge of anything that came before, if you can visualise stripping away all that you know. How lessened is it if it isn't compared/contrasted to the original and looked at for the chosen character shifts that are being tried or for what it says with understanding of what the character issues/developments before were? I'm not looking to be totally dismissive of it. As I've said time and again, it interests me as an existing fan as a fun AU. But as an intro to the verse for a new generation, I'm still not seeing how it works in isolation. Of course we all are coming at it as existing fans, so that's the pov in which discussion happens, but what does it do to character understanding if it's all you know? From what I keep reading about it there isn't the set up for a total intro. In many ways I'm pretty happy with that, that it works best as the add on fun AU it is, but still this wasn't how it was presented as being marketed, its purpose.
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-04-19 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Is the Boom version interesting in its own right though? I mean without knowledge of anything that came before, if you can visualise stripping away all that you know. How lessened is it if it isn't compared/contrasted to the original and looked at for the chosen character shifts that are being tried or for what it says with understanding of what the character issues/developments before were? I'm not looking to be totally dismissive of it. As I've said time and again, it interests me as an existing fan as a fun AU. But as an intro to the verse for a new generation, I'm still not seeing how it works in isolation. Of course we all are coming at it as existing fans, so that's the pov in which discussion happens, but what does it do to character understanding if it's all you know? From what I keep reading about it there isn't the set up for a total intro. In many ways I'm pretty happy with that, that it works best as the add on fun AU it is, but still this wasn't how it was presented as being marketed, its purpose.
    How interesting is the show on its own, though? Without the context of a culture where violence and heroism are traditionally seen as the domain of men, what is the significance of a young girl being the one to stand up for what is right and true and protect the innocent?

There is no text in isolation. Inter-textuality is fundamental to all fiction.

Thanks

The show works in context of course, but I also didn't think it needed updating because a lot of what it shows/explores isn't about the cultural context but about the challenges of growing up that every generation goes through. Those themes it represented I think are still current to new generations and are constant enough that it continues to have value as it already. But this really is separate to what I was questioning. If the Boom comic only works well in the context of having seen the original show, it isn't meeting its own marketed purpose. I'm repeatedly saying that I think it is interesting in the context of what came before in BtVS, a fun AU to follow, but how well it works in its own right without the in-depth existing character knowledge I'm not convinced by (and at the worst that it doesn't/wouldn't lessen the impact of watching the original after it too).

Thanks

Having seen the show adds an extra dimension, of course, but people who read the comics without having seen the show will have consumed other media. I don't really imagine the comics will draw a lot of new fans, but if they do, I think they will be able to enjoy them without much problem.

Thanks

I'm talking about the specific characters of the verse though, not aspects that other media will give and the effect on how you'd then consume/view the original if it was seen following this. I'm directly considering the effect from the order of consumption between the two and character understanding, as a sequel/prequel issue. I agree that the majority of readers will probably be existing fans, but that isn't the way this comic was promoted and the purpose it was said to address in making the verse relatable for a new generation and to gain new viewers. I think it's questionable how well it works without the preexisting knowledge that is bringing out the main points of interest for us and also whether it spoils too much of the development of the characters to then still enjoy the original if it follows this. Which as we've been saying and which TriBel raised again which prompted my question, is in great part based on what slowly emerged or repressed being already apparent.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 688 Posts

How lessened is it if it isn't compared/contrasted to the original and looked at for the chosen character shifts that are being tried or for what it says with understanding of what the character issues/developments before were?
    How lessened is the TV show if it isn't compared/contrasted to the original movie? I'd say about as much as this new series. Stoney, this comic is not an AU. Boom didn't just take the characters from the TV show and put them in a modern setting - it's a more complete reimagining and it works on its own.