Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buffy #4 from Boom

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think they will do Bangel or Spuffy, because it would immediately alienate like half the audience.

Spuffy may also be very hard to do. One of the reason Spike was sorta accepted by the Scoobies was that he had never successfully managed to harm them in any serious way. He was out of commission for most of S2 and he was not involved in the killing of Kendra. However, now he has helped Drusilla kill Xander and he is presumable still the guy who killed Robin's mum.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-04-19),betta (20-04-19),Priceless (20-04-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

There was that time in "Lovers Walk" when he smashed a microscope or whatever that was into Xander's head when he was capturing Willow and Xander, and of course there was the 'lunge for the kill' in "The Initiative" when Willow unknowingly invited Spike into her and Buffy's dorm room he attempted to bite (before the camera changed to another scene and when we later returned to the dorm room we were treated to the whole "chipped Spike can't perform" bit). Maybe they don't count as "big" attacks like killing Kendra, but in-universe I'm sure the characters didn't just mentally sweep under the rug that Spike either tried to kill them or at least knocked them unconscious.

I haven't bought any of the issues yet, in part because of working more hours and also because of a car accident at the end of February (I have to go out of town to get to the nearest comic shop, and car repair bills come first), and until spoilers about Xander's crush on Buffy came out, I was actually happy that he seemed to not have a crush on her in the Boom comics. I was actually hoping that this time around, we could get character development or a storyline for Xander that had nothing whatsoever to do with his love life, at least for a little while.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    There was that time in "Lovers Walk" when he smashed a microscope or whatever that was into Xander's head when he was capturing Willow and Xander, and of course there was the 'lunge for the kill' in "The Initiative" when Willow unknowingly invited Spike into her and Buffy's dorm room he attempted to bite (before the camera changed to another scene and when we later returned to the dorm room we were treated to the whole "chipped Spike can't perform" bit). Maybe they don't count as "big" attacks like killing Kendra, but in-universe I'm sure the characters didn't just mentally sweep under the rug that Spike either tried to kill them or at least knocked them unconscious.

I haven't bought any of the issues yet, in part because of working more hours and also because of a car accident at the end of February (I have to go out of town to get to the nearest comic shop, and car repair bills come first), and until spoilers about Xander's crush on Buffy came out, I was actually happy that he seemed to not have a crush on her in the Boom comics. I was actually hoping that this time around, we could get character development or a storyline for Xander that had nothing whatsoever to do with his love life, at least for a little while.
    Hell, at this point I'd rather he kicks Spike out of bed than worry about 'shipping him with Buffy. I mean, all told, I'd probably still ship it even if Xander's a vampire (suddenly she's too good for it?), but I think I'm gonna go ahead and blow out that reignited Buffy/Xander torch at this point lol.

EDIT: Actually, I'm more than happy if there would never be a Buffy/VampXander 'ship* as long as it was because this time they aren't getting her involved with vampires. I can't remember what vampire protagonist in novels it was or even who the author is anymore, but I do like the shade thrown at Buffy when the author gave her the line "I don't sleep with vampires, I kill them".

*I don't know if I'm the only person who actually wrote a fic of this before but I've never seen any others. Who knew?

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    That's why I was being careful in my wording. I deliberately said "successfully managed to harm them in any serious way." If he had killed Xander, Willow and Kendra, then I don't think he could ever have been accepted as an ally to the Scoobies. Really, there wouldn't have been a Scoobies left to be accepted by.

Likewise, if Faith had cut Willow in "Choices," strangled Xander to death in "Consequences" and successfully killed Angel in "Graduation Day," then I don't think Buffy would ever have accepted her back on the team.

Intentions matter, but consequences do too. There are certain things you don't come back from. Spike taking part in Xander's murder is a big deal. It's a bigger deal than hitting him over the head and abducting him.
    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 20-04-19 at 08:13 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-04-19),betta (20-04-19),flow (20-04-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I don't think that Buffy will date any vampires in the near future mostly because Robin exists. I mean, he's kinda already Buffy's love interest, no? I think that, in general, this whole protagonist/vampire thing has become such a washed-out, tired YA cliche. I can't imagine them going there, it's borderline uncool.
    We have already Spike/Cordy thing going on and new Angel comic. Which, you know, is vampire. You don't think he would be celibate in his own comic, do you? It's not some random franchise, it's Buffy for God sake. There are iconic vampire characters here, who definitely will have relations with other major characters. Will it be Buffy? I don't know. Maybe Jordie wouldn't want that, maybe she will. In any case her decision wouldn't have anything to do with "uncoolness" or other such nonsense.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

betta (20-04-19),flow (20-04-19),TriBel (20-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,063 Posts

Speaking as a B/Aer,while I have ideas of how they could eventually do it based on the setup we have,I'm perfectly fine if they don't do B/A here.That's one of the freeing things about a reboot IMO.B/A is the only couple I've even shipped and the only couple I ever will.In everything else I non-ship and I'm so much happier and more relaxed in that regard.I just go where the series takes me in romantic pairings regards.

I'll always be a B/Aer in the OG canon.But this reboot frees me now to take my usual non-ship approach as I do with everything else.If they did B/A,I would be interested to see how they would do it.If they never do B/A,I'm perfectly fine with that.Same goes with B/S.I would be open to see how they did it.

Right this second,it seems like they are doing something Cordy/Spike,atleast the idea that Cordy is infatuated with him.

My mantra is that a reboot means the old rules no longer apply on what they can do storywise.

Personally,I don't think they are touching either B/A or B/S in this reboot.I think Robin is going to be the love interest for now and I'm interested to see how that goes.I'm curious if they'll keep him the son of a slayer.And I wonder if they could switch it up and have Dru be the killer of his mom.

I should have my copies of Buffy # 4 and Angel # 0(I checked with my comic shop and they held a copy for me) later today.
    Last edited by BAF; 20-04-19 at 03:40 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-04-19),betta (20-04-19),flow (20-04-19),Priceless (20-04-19),Silver1 (20-04-19),TriBel (20-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,471 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    That's why I was being careful in my wording. I deliberately said "successfully managed to harm them in any serious way." If he had killed Xander, Willow and Kendra, then I don't think he could ever have been accepted as an ally to the Scoobies. Really, there wouldn't have been a Scoobies left to be accepted by.

Likewise, if Faith had cut Willow in "Choices" and successfully killed Angel in "Graduation Day," then I don't think Buffy would ever have accepted her back on the team.

Intentions matter, but consequences do too. There are certain things you don't come back from. Spike taking part in Xander's murder is a big deal. It's a bigger deal than hitting him over the head and abducting him.
    I don't think we'll see Spuffy for a while yet - if at all. Don't know about Bangel. I don't know whether they'd go down one road and not the other because of alienating the readership.

a) There's no evidence Spike killed Robin's mother. He's not exactly been portrayed as the Big Bad. I'm with BAF, if there's a killer of slayers, it could easily be Dru. That introduces a totally different dynamic.
    b) How do you prove he was involved in Xander's killing (presuming Xander is dead)? There's no witnesses. Xander thinks Dru sent the text. Without that, he's on the fringe.
    c) Is Buffy in someway culpable? She knew the phone was lost; she didn't tell Joyce it was lost - more importantly, she lost her first phone to a demon. I'm not judging her - just pointing out the context.
    d) Angel's standing by - and at the moment is doing nothing. Is he culpable?

Genuine questions - not partisan.

To my mind, Slayer/Vamp is only uncool or cliched if it's written in an "uncool" or "cliched" way. A good writer should be able to bring a twist to it.
    Last edited by TriBel; 20-04-19 at 03:57 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Alce (20-04-19),betta (20-04-19),flow (20-04-19),Priceless (20-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 663 Posts

You don't think he would be celibate in his own comic, do you?
    Angel has always been celibate in his own comics. And if they even decide to give him a love interest it probably should be Darla.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (20-04-19)

Thanks

@Flow. You were right all along. Kinda

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (20-04-19),flow (21-04-19),Priceless (21-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 495 Posts

Ooooooh!! My first thought was, how did we all not see this? And then I went back to when this cover was originally posted

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (21-04-19),Willow from Buffy (21-04-19)

Thanks

Let's tie Flow to a stake and burn the witch!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

flow (21-04-19)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

When did Xander Harris become Shinji Ikari? Poor Xander getting catfished then rescued by Angel, how low.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaddyManPrime For This Useful Post:

flow (21-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,633 Times in 3,648 Posts

Finally got my copy! Yay!

Cordy's little catch up at the start sounds so old fashioned. Do kids today talk like that? 'cutie Spike seemed really cool but also a little creepsville' - seriously?

The art is amazing as always. It's what's made the Boom comics, as it shines even when the story and dialogue have been flat. Dru and Xander, discussing Xander's turning, are fabulous. There's one image of Buffy that's pretty perfect too.

I just feel they've shoe-horned the loss of the mobile phone to update the series and make it modern. They didn't need to send Xander any texts,they could just follow him from school and jump him (he's been walking home alone a lot lately) Nothing else, technology wise, has been updated and it just feels a bit fake, especially Dru commenting on how small mobiles are *eyeroll

Why can't Rose know Buffy is the slayer? That makes no sense at all. She's the same as Willow and Xander isn't she? I predict she's canon fodder. I'm also not a fan of Buffy being embarrassed at asking a boy out. That's so old fashioned and even 90's Buffy wouldn't have been embarrassed.

Xander is good. He points out lying to Rose is not good, and although he likes Buffy he says nothing too bad about Robin being invited to the cinema. Not sure about his crying about his crush on Buffy.

Bit snakey of Willow to tell Buffy Xander had a crush on her, friends should not do that. And what's all this 'you should be thinking of yourself right now. You deserve it' - I don't get this Willow at all.

Still don't like Eric, he's far too smarmy. Instead of talking to Buffy, shouldn't he be telling Joyce about his worries? Like Giles, he's trying to build a relationship with a child behind the mother's back and I do not like it.

I liked the 'maybe I'll always feel alone' box over the image of Spike, looking like it's meant to represent his own feelings. Xander's turning and Spike's are so similar, I wonder if there will be other similarities about them going forward.

I like the cliffhanger at the end, with Angel in the shadows, ready to rescue Xander. Or not.

Ok, the story is dumb and the personalities of everyone seem just a bit off. Willow seems snakey, Buffy seems to lack confidence, Xander seems to want to be turned . . . all just odd.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (23-04-19),Sosa lola (23-04-19),Stoney (23-04-19),TriBel (23-04-19)

Thanks

There's one image of Buffy that's pretty perfect too.
    The half-profile close-up? Isn't it very similar to the close-up in S12 (which was one of the few good images we had)?

Still don't like Eric, he's far too smarmy. Instead of talking to Buffy, shouldn't he be telling Joyce about his worries? Like Giles, he's trying to build a relationship with a child behind the mother's back and I do not like it.
    He's very ambiguous. He appears to have her best interests at heart but it makes it clear he's been watching her. He's creepy.

I liked the 'maybe I'll always feel alone' box over the image of Spike, looking like it's meant to represent his own feelings. Xander's turning and Spike's are so similar, I wonder if there will be other similarities about them going forward.
    I wondered that. There's been no follow through on the Cordy front and I think his relationship with Dru is ambivalent.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-04-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I still have to do bullet points and analysis for BOOM! BtVS 1.02-1.04. And read and respond through the BOOM! BtVS threads.

* Not doing Buffy/Spike would alienate perhaps most of the readership. I don't see the comics creating a more popular relationship than Buffy/Spike. Buffy/Angel is still tainted by the BtVS S8-BtVS S12 comics. But Buffy/Angel could work in the BOOM! comics given enough time and Angel being different enough in the BOOM! comics.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 663 Posts

Not doing Buffy/Spike would alienate perhaps most of the readership.
    I...doubt that. I think that the opposite is true, I think that Buffy/Spike alienates people. TV seasons with prominent Buffy/Spike content had the worst ratings. Similarly, comic seasons with prominent Buffy/Spike content had the lowest readership.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I...doubt that. I think that the opposite is true, I think that Buffy/Spike alienates people. TV seasons with prominent Buffy/Spike content had the worst ratings. Similarly, comic seasons with prominent Buffy/Spike content had the lowest readership.
    It's not necessarily that simple. Buffy/Spike probably drove Buffy/Angel fans away. You'd need to have a couple of seasons with Buffy/Angel prominent to actually compare the two. Bangle fans would come back but would that drive Spuffy fans away (as Mike's suggesting)? You can't really count the Bangel years 1 - 3 in the TV series because Spuffy wasn't a "thing". Plus, a lot of Bangel fans left the comics after Twilight.

It's not necessary for them to do either.

What I really came here to say was - I had ordered the OMWF cover and I really like it but I don't think it's S6 Spike!
    Last edited by TriBel; 23-04-19 at 06:48 PM.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-04-19),Silver1 (23-04-19),Stoney (23-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,063 Posts

I got my copies of Buffy # 4 and Angel # 0 on Saturday.Didn't have time to post my thoughts though until now.Going to be brief.

Buffy # 4.

I thought the issue stuck the landing as the opening arc of the new Buffy.As others have said,I really like the character work especially for Xander.I'm also getting a better feel for the differecnes in these version of the characters.One of the new dynamics I like is Buffy and Eric.That's a change I really like.Joyce having a boyfriend and Buffy's developing relationship with him.It reminds me of Charlie in Bumblebee.I think it creates a new element from the show.The real star of this issue though is Xander for me.I felt terrible for Xander throughout the whole issue.From Willow pushing Buffy towards Robin and revealing that Xander has a crush on her to Spike pretending to be Buffy on the phone texting Xander.Culminating in Dru tempting Xander and bitting him to close the issue as Angel watches.Great cliffhanger to end the issue on.Will Angel save Xander.Will Xander be turned?Great issue and Great opening arc.
    Last edited by BAF; 23-04-19 at 06:55 PM.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-04-19),flow (23-04-19),Silver1 (23-04-19),Sosa lola (23-04-19),Stoney (23-04-19),TriBel (23-04-19),Willow from Buffy (23-04-19)