Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy #4 from Boom

Thanks
    Thanked 7,366 Times in 3,505 Posts

Default Buffy #4 from Boom

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG]https://cdn.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-4-11.jpg[IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This is the issue no BUFFY fan can miss! In the shocking conclusion of the first story arc of the most-anticipated reVAMP of 2019, someone from the Scooby gang must make the ultimate sacrifice.

And don’t miss the massive first appearance that will have everyone talking!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-04-19),BAF (14-04-19),kamw30 (19-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-19),Stoney (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 633 Posts

That Willow cover is so awesome!

Anyway, I'm impressed with the dialog - I can, like, hear the characters' voices reading it. It's really good!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (18-04-19),Priceless (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Thanks

The Willow cover is amazing, I love it too. I like the dialogue. I wonder if it's setting Giles up to be the one who is to make a sacrifice, as he's going patrolling alone?

And why does Buffy feel the need to mention 'wife' as one of Dru's characteristics? or is that just a reference to a tv show?
    Last edited by Priceless; 13-04-19 at 11:49 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-04-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (18-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    And why does Buffy feel the need to mention 'wife' as one of Dru's characteristics? or is that just a reference to a tv show?
    I wondered that, too. I've gone through famous fictional mob-boss-wives in my head, and I am drawing a blank. She's not Carmela Soprano, Carmela Corleone or Kay Corleone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

I think it's going to be either Buffy or Xander. There's this work in progress cover over at twitter with Willow looking like she's about to resurrect somebody. I don't think she'd try to resurrect Giles - Buffy and Xander though? Absolutely.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I think it's going to be either Buffy or Xander. There's this work in progress cover over at twitter with Willow looking like she's about to resurrect somebody. I don't think she'd try to resurrect Giles - Buffy and Xander though? Absolutely.
    It feels way too early for a resurrection story. That worked in S6. It would not have worked in S1.

Do you have a link tot that picture?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (14-04-19),Priceless (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,805 Posts

That picture combines symbolism (the spiral) that's initially associated with the Shadow Men (though I think that's an appropriation) and (if that's a halo) with Christianity and - which is focused in S7 through Mariology. If it's a resurrection it's calling, I think, on the Goddess rather than a God (Osiris). "Many suggest the spirals are representative of the cycle of rebirth (as indicated by their presence at a tomb) or as a symbol of a mother goddess, who in recent times has been strongly associated with underground chambers, which are interpreted as symbolic wombs."

Why does the close-up of the vampire/scarecrow/dummy look as if it's supported by a cross?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Thanks

That Willow cover is really intriguing. I wonder what she's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Why does the close-up of the vampire/scarecrow/dummy look as if it's supported by a cross?
    It reminds me of Spike's Angel-punching bag and Angel is kinda Jesus-like in many respects.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-04-19),Priceless (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    That Willow cover is really intriguing. I wonder what she's doing.

It reminds me of Spike's Angel-punching bag and Angel is kinda Jesus-like in many respects.
    Yes - I thought Angel (because the hair's sticking up). But then, it's blonde - and Spike occupies the Christ child/Jesus position in S7. I think it'd deliberately messing with us. There was no reason to give it hair.

Got nothing on the "mob-wife" - except Spike refers to her as "mistress". It could be that the relationship between the vamps - Spike/Dru/Angel isn't the same as in the original series (so no incestuous doubling). Do we know yet who sired who?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19),Willow from Buffy (13-04-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Some reviews are up already!

monkeysfightingrobots
    sequentialplanet

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (15-04-19),flow (15-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19),Silver1 (16-04-19),Sosa lola (16-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

Oh...well that was a bit of an anti-climax. According to one of the reviews, I'm being lulled into a false sense of security. I'm still waiting for the lulling. Can't decide if Eric's the new Ben. Can't make my mind up about Spike. Yeah...I suppose there's character development... Is Angel #0 available digitally? Does it follow on from this?
    Last edited by TriBel; 17-04-19 at 02:50 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,052 Posts

Oh...well that was an anti-climax. According to one of the reviews, I'm being lulled into a sense of security. I'm still waiting for it. Can't decide if Eric's the new Ben. Can't make my mind up about Spike. Yeah...I suppose there's character development... Is Angel #0 available digitally?
    I think they said that Angel # 0 is only going to be released in comic shops for the first few weeks,not digitally, to promote people going to stores.I may be wrong though.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

TriBel (17-04-19)

Thanks

Thanks BAF. I'm not sure #4 was worth staying up till 3.00 for...I'd like to see what others make of it.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,052 Posts

Thanks BAF. I'm not sure #4 was worth staying up till 3.00 for...I'd like to see what others make of it.
    I won't have my copy or rather copies(for Angel # 0) until Friday or Saturday.So I'll be looking at reactions and spoilers.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

TriBel (17-04-19)

Thanks

Initially, I was a bit underwhelmed by this. I think they took liberties with the idea of "ultimate sacrifice" and the "big entrance"...ain't that big. I'll put certain things under a spoiler for now:

Spoiler:
    The "sacrifice" is Xander but it's a sacrifice only in the sense that William was - there's tears and an implicit rebuffal - think William is the inspiration for this. There's always a possibility Angel will stop it - he appears in the last three frames but is only identifiable in the last. On reflection, the Xander incident's quite nicely done - you kinda feel for him. I think Buffy/Willow are being set up to feel guilty about what happens...if it does.

Robin...if Robin/Buffy becomes a thing, there might just be shades of Riley. I've no idea what the status of the Dru/Spike relationship is. Dru/Spike - seem to have a lot of floating candles. What's that about? Is she/he a witch/vampire hybrid? Dru can''t use a cell. Dru = old magic; Spike = new (tech)? Judging by the size of his arms/chest, Spike spends a lot of time working out. Eric - could be an asset but I found the exchange between him and Buffy a tad creepy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Rose...I think is a placeholder and won't be with us for long. Yeah...the characters are beginning to develop. I found Buffy more likeable in this issue. As usual, the art is great.

The School Bulletin: Anya and Bunnies; the school basement; the Espenson playing fields; Dr Gregory.

Won't say much else until folk have caught up.
    Last edited by TriBel; 17-04-19 at 08:43 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

BAF (17-04-19),Priceless (17-04-19)

Thanks

Here is the Buffy Back Issue Bin review

https://player.fm/series/buffy-back-...angel-0-review

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BAF (17-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (17-04-19),TriBel (17-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Here is the Buffy Back Issue Bin review

https://player.fm/series/buffy-back-...angel-0-review
    Haven't got time to listen now...I've decided to show my face at work. Do they like it? BTW, Angel #0 - the first print has a red background, the second has a blue one. I'm not anticipating getting mine until the weekend - unless there's a FP in Chester or Shrewsbury.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-04-19)

Thanks

Haven't got time to listen now...I've decided to show my face at work. Do they like it? BTW, Angel #0 - the first print has a red background, the second has a blue one. I'm not anticipating getting mine until the weekend - unless there's a FP in Chester or Shrewsbury.
    Yes they love both #4 Buffy and #0 Angel. The podcast is full of spoilers so I've got lots of questions. It's only 30 odd minutes long, and worth a listen.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (17-04-19),TriBel (17-04-19)

Thanks

It did occur to me that Giles might swoop in at the end and become "the sacrifice". If sacrifice means "doing something daft" (which is how it's kinda framed), I sacrifice myself everyday. Other than that...I've been thinking about it and it's growing on me.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-04-19)