Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angel #0 BOOM!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,686 Posts

I want to know a) Whether he's still Irish and b) when/where the opening scenes are set. That kid has a teddy bear and, to the best of my knowledge, they date from the beginning of the 19th Century (1902/3). Also, London didn't have gas lamps until the early 1800s so I wouldn't expect them in a small town or village, Is she a random kid or is she Kathy? Is it an origins story or just a montage of times/spaces IDK. I've also just noticed that Dru is talking to Xander about being wanted and belonging and I'd come to the conclusion that Spike seemed not to "belong" (I'll have him ).

He's making "deserved" sound a bit suspect. I'm beginning to think of religious ecstasy! Sorry - he's drinking blood AND he's setting fire to himself. Which does he deserve? Isn't that what Angelus did when first confronted with Spike? Sorry...might not be religious but I'm fairly sure it's ecstasy. Says deserved at the end.

Helen means Shining light. He's lost his shining light.

"Beware his gaze. That is his power". That was Angel's problem in AtS - caught up in the father's gaze. Also - Medusa (Medusa's gaze made men go stiff). That's a very modernist house.

Think I'd have checked the possible meaning of Fee Fee before I gave her that name. Angel likes to punish himself?

"Don't make me happy, you wouldn't like me when I'm happy". a) Isn't that a play on David Banner/Bill Bixby/The Hulk's catchphrase? Is the curse still in place then?

Oh FGS - "the father eater"? This isn't the most subtle of comics I've seen.

Yeah...it's noirish but without Marlowe's witty repartee. Not on par with this: “From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.” Though I quite liked this from Angel: "I deserved to lose her. But she didn't deserve to be lost. Marlowe was a masochist!

I think they're trying too hard to make him mysterious. Reminds me of Spike's rooftop monologue in S1 of AtS

NOTE Helen Grayle; from Chandler's Farewell my Lovely. Could be that Helen becomes Angel's grail - rather than Kathy. The grail's lost.

This is Chandler's description of the Private Eye - Angel's definitely got more in common with Marlowe than Spade or Hammer.

“down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world.

“He will take no man’s money dishonestly and no man’s insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him.

“The story is this man’s adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.”

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday),Stoney (Yesterday),Willow from Buffy (Yesterday)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 1,044 Posts

I got my copies of Buffy # 4 and Angel # 0 on Saturday.Didn't have time to post my thoughts though until now.Going to be brief.

Angel # 0

I like how this issue picks up from where Buffy # 4 ends.The end of Buffy # 4 is the beginning of this issue before whe flashback to Angel's past.This issue is really a great primer for Angel.It gives insight to his origin and a backstory in L.A. for this reboot.For me,this was a true # 0 issue.Enjoyed it.

Also I didn't know but Sierra Hahn is a senior editor at BOOM!.She has a essay about the Buffy reboot and Angel's role in it. in the back of the issue.She was assistant editor below Scott Allie on Buffy Season 8 and 9 and become the Buffy editor in Season 10 when Scott Allie was promoted.I think she left Dark Horse for BOOM! before season 10 finished.Still,find it interesting that someone who worked on several of the Buffy seasons at Dark Horse(seasons 8,9 & 10) is involved in the reboot at BOOM!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),flow (Yesterday),Silver1 (Yesterday),Stoney (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday),Willow from Buffy (Yesterday)

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be really happy if someone would photograph the pages and post them online. I would not normally ask, but I feel so left out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 620 Posts

Digital version is out next week, I think.

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Digital version is out next week, I think.
    I know. I've been told patience is a virtue... but I wanna know what my favorite vamp detective is up to Angel's whereabouts have been one the biggest mystery since the BtVS series was announced last year.
    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; Yesterday at 09:43 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 626 Posts

I thought it was really good. Boom certainly knows how to make these books atmospheric. First time in years things were at stake and there were consequences in Angel’s book.

I take back what I said about Helen. She was really cool and her role here couldn’t have really been filled by any established character.

Angel HAS to stop Xander from being sired. I know this is literally the zero issue of his journey to be a hero, but if Angel just stands there and allows Xander to get turned, I don’t think there is really any coming back from that. There’s no excuse to stand there and do nothing while Drusilla sires a main character. If Angel is going to be a credible hero going forward, he has to step in. Maybe he tries to save Xander and he dies of blood loss anyway? Maybe Spike cheapshots Angel somehow?

I wonder how Angel got his nice house in LA. That has gotta be worth a fortune. In the shows, I always assumed Angel was squatting in the Sunnydale mansion and again in the Hyperion, and that they technically belonged to someone else who had no idea Angel was there?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

flow (Yesterday),Willow from Buffy (Yesterday)