Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angel #0 BOOM!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,318 Times in 5,050 Posts

Well I'm sure if you are right that there will be an announcement coming about the print run selling out and needing a second and then another cover can be announced that they just happen to have ready with '2nd print run' across the bottom.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Well I'm sure if you are right that there will be an announcement coming about the print run selling out and needing a second and then another cover can be announced that they just happen to have ready with '2nd print run' across the bottom.
    The Forbidden Planet website looks the same as it did when I ordered mine. You can pre-order #0 with the red cover we've seen, due for release on 17/4. There's also an unrevealed cover #0 marked as 2nd printing (not as variant cover) also due for release on the same day and available for pre-order. IDK.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,041 Posts

Angel cover in progress

https://twitter.com/urbanbarbarian/s...17097266810880

Dan Panosian‏ @urbanbarbarian

WIP

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-04-19),flow (15-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19),Silver1 (15-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19),Willow from Buffy (15-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAF View Post
    Angel cover in progress

https://twitter.com/urbanbarbarian/s...17097266810880

Dan Panosian‏ @urbanbarbarian

WIP

Can't see the detail on the back of the jacket but why am I thinking Hell's Angel rather than simply Angel?

And, is that strange creature above the A a chameleon? I'm hoping so because I payed a bloody fortune for these specs.
    Last edited by TriBel; 15-04-19 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,338 Posts

That’s Angel‘ s tattoo, isn’t it? I think this is a griffin not a chameleon. I like the reference but the style is more rock-star than I would have expected from Angel.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-04-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 616 Posts

It's a winged lion and yes, it looks exactly like Angel's tattoo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    That’s Angel‘ s tattoo, isn’t it? I think this is a griffin not a chameleon. I like the reference but the style is more rock-star than I would have expected from Angel.

flow
    Yeah...I thought it probably was.

the style is more rock-star
    But not Billy Idol? TBH, it looks a bit cliched to me...hence the Hell's Angel remark.
    Last edited by TriBel; 15-04-19 at 03:44 PM.

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    But not Billy Idol? TBH, it looks a bit cliched to me...hence the Hell's Angel remark.
    But ... he is Hell's Angel.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

flow (15-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

WfB

But ... he is Hell's Angel.
    I know - which is why I'd have liked something a bit more original! Something that wasn't such an obvious visual metaphor. It's pretty though....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,037 Times in 3,341 Posts

The drawing looks very 1950's to me (James Dean/Marlon Brando), a reference to Angel's longevity maybe. It's also out of proportion, with childbearing hips and tiny head

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-04-19),TriBel (16-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    The drawing looks very 1950's to me (James Dean/Marlon Brando), a reference to Angel's longevity maybe. It's also out of proportion, with childbearing hips and tiny head
    Yeah...James Dean works for me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,041 Posts

https://www.newsarama.com/44808-best...w-angel-0.html

Best Shots Review: ANGEL #0 Takes 'Brooding to a New Level of Self-Harm'

By Richard Gray, Best Shots Reviewer
    April 17, 2019

Angel #0

Written by Bryan Edward Hill
    Art by Gleb Melnikov and Gabriel Cassata
    Published by BOOM! Studios
    Review by Richard Gray
    'Rama Rating: 6 out of 10

Following the reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer earlier this year, her soul-baring vampire lover couldn’t be too far behind. With an ongoing Angel series due out in May, this surprise “zero issue” - announced only eight days before its release - sets the stage for a spin-off. But while Buffy has been fully updated for the 21st century, the vampire formerly known as Angelus doesn’t get as radical a makeover.

Picking up on seeds first planted a few months ago in Buffy with Xander alienated and on the cusp of being turned by Drusilla, the scene primarily serves as a launchpad for a series of flashbacks to Angel’s past. Some of this will be familiar to long-time fans, although writer Bryan Edward Hill doesn’t necessarily fill in any gaps for the uninitiated. Instead, we get impressionistic glimpses of a past: the murderous past, the regaining of a soul, the tortured years in between

From what we do glean of this Angel, he’s suffering from what can only be described as a persecution complex. Reflecting on his distant past, he laments “I deserve this pain.” Later, in sunny California, he thrusts his hand into the sunlight and repeats the sentiment as his arm bursts into flame. It’s the 21st century, and Angel has taken brooding to a new level of self-harm.

As the issue transitions into a more contemporary setting - or at least “Los Angeles. Before” - Hill introduces some of the newer characters and a fresher perspective on the series. While the set-up is similar to the Angel television series, in that the vampire with a soul helps out with paranormal investigations in L.A., this is a different kind of redemption story. While training an ally named Helen, there’s someone else named Fee-Fee who is given no context whatsoever. It scarcely matters, as the fragmented story skips off to fight a demon in a sequence that only serves to dispatch of a character we’ve just met.

Gleb Melnikov and Gabriel Cassata are on art duties for this preview issue. A stylistic match for the Buffy comic, it doesn’t have the same polish as Dan Mora and Raul Angelo’s work, but retains the likenesses of the 1990s television counterparts. The rough-hewn pencils work best during the Angelus flashback sequences, as the puffy-shirted vampire is underlit by fire and lightning. The perpetual twilight of L.A. is a nice counterpoint to Sunnydale, and Melnikov’s liberal use of speed lines gives the action sequences a perpetual feeling of motion, even if they don’t always gel together into something cohesive.

In the book’s backmatter, veteran Buffy editor comments that the series “reimagines (only slightly) the titular character.” So while this is just a preview, it does little to define who this new version of Angel is, or what makes him distinct from the original version. The issue quite literally ends with one of Angel’s sidekicks telling him to “Try a place called Sunnydale…you might make a few friends.” If it was an issue of Buffy, it’d feel like a backdoor pilot, but for now we’re content to wait another month for the full debut to arrive.
    [/b]

Info on BOOM! Angel #1-3

https://www.newsarama.com/44806-boom...l-ongoing.html

[b]BOOM! Reveals More On Surprise New Buffyverse ANGEL Ongoing

By Chris Arrant, Editor
    April 17, 2019

More details about BOOM! Studios' surprise launch of a new Angel ongoing title have been revealed in the company's letter to retailers. The series, which was announced just one week ago, debuted Wednesday.

"Welcome to the very first issue of our new Angel monthly comic book series," writes BOOM!'s Retail Sales Coordinator Morgan Perry. "You've seen incredible success with our other launches of Joss Whedon creations, from Firefly to Buffy The Vampire Slayer and this joins them as our third ongoing series from the aforementioned visionary creator."

The publisher is giving Angel #0 to retailers for free (including free shipping and no fees), with orders matching the store's orders for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3. BOOM! also added in one free copy of Boris Pelcer's "Thank You" variant.

"BOOM! Studios is your best partner and we believe in putting comic shops first," Perry continues. "As a publisher who is asking you to buy in to what you believe, we have a responsibility to do the same. So we chose to cover every cost (creative, publishing, shipping, etc.) so that Angel #0 would be additional money in the hands of retailers with no strings attached."

Perry went on to explain that BOOM! did the Beyonce-style surprise debut to "inject surprise and excitement into the direct market."

"We minimized the window of awareness to conversion so that the broad, diverse cross section of pop culture fans (some of whom may be lapsed comic fans or have never stepped in a comic shop) who heard the news could be converted into Angel #0 readers almost immediately," the BOOM! representative said. "Our goal is to inject surprise and excitement into the direct market with a new release that rewards comic shop retailers for their unwavering loyalty and reinforces that these stores are the front line of innovation in the entertainment industry."

The publiher said that they are holding off on making Angel #0 available digitally until May 1

Second printings of Angel #0 are available to order now, featuring a recolored version of Boris Pelcer's main cover.

The series will continue monthly, with Angel #1 in May. Retailers who participate in the BOOM! Guarantee program will receive full returnability on Angel #1 through #4.

Here are the solicitations for Angels #1 through #3.

ANGEL #1
    (W) Bryan Edward Hill (A) Gleb Melnikov (CA) Dan Panosian

BOOM! Studios, along with visionary writer and director Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel's The Avengers), presents the shocking reimagining of the pop culture phenomenon ANGEL!

Angel walks the line between two worlds; a vampire cursed with a soul, he's spent centuries battling back the forces that would destroy humanity, in an attempt to redeem himself for the crimes committed by the monster he was when he was first turned. But now, when the trail of the most recent demonic uprising takes him to Sunnydale, he realizes that the redemption he seeks can only come at a startling price.
    As Angel gets closer to redemption, the full truth of his horrific past as Angelus will be revealed-and there may be no way to escape his darkest secret of all.
    Written by Bryan Edward Hill (Detective Comics, Killmonger) with art from Gleb Melnikov (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), discover a brand new, modern take on one of the most iconic vampires in pop culture, perfect for fans and new readers alike!
    $3.99

ANGEL #2

The landmark re-imagining of ANGEL continues here from Bryan Edward Hill (Detective Comics, Killmonger), Gleb Melnikov (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and series creator Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel's The Avengers).
    Los Angeles is becoming infested with more supernatural threats than ever before-and Angel needs to know why before he can complete the rituals to become human once again. But the vampire-with-a-soul's quest for redemption won't be as simple as he hoped (I mean, it's already super complicated because he was, well, the mass murderer Angelus) when a new threat arrives on the scene and forces Angel to truly examine his past.
    $3.99

ANGEL #3

Angel's made his move and now he's dealing with the unintended consequences as the true threat facing him may be greater than he imagined. But one wrong choice may destroy his life as he knows it...and ruin his chances to lift the curse. Is there any price too high when redemption is the prize?
    The next exciting chapter of the pop culture reimagining that made headlines worldwide continues from Bryan Edward Hill (Detective Comics, Killmonger), Gleb Melnikov (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), and series creator Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel's The Avengers).
    $3.99

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-04-19)

Thanks

I'm getting a bit fed-up with Boom's marketing ploys.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,318 Times in 5,050 Posts

I went through that and got to just being amused by it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (18-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I went through that and got to just being amused by it.
    I'm beginning to feel they're taking me for a mug. And Buffy #4 is already available to read on certain sites. I might stop buying the individual copies.