Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fin Amour by Angearia starting on 12th April 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 7,708 Times in 3,695 Posts

I'm sorry Pricey, I wasn't intending to spoil it for you. I always work on the basis with the group reads that once we hit the discussion date we can talk about it in the assumption that others will have read it by then too.
    Oh no Stoney, you didn't spoil it at all I agree, once we start discussing a fic, everything is open for discussion.

I think it is a strength of the story that she holds some resentment of this as something that has been done to her again. But I do like that they have her respond very lovingly to Dawn once she's born.
    Yes of course, there was no other way to go really, Buffy had to love the child once she was born.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (13-04-19)

Thanks

It is a lovely interpretation of ‘courtly love’. There is loads of canon support that the romantic in Spike always viewed Buffy as the unattainable dream(well, until she wasn’t...) and he is somehow elevated by that loving. Her very own foolish knight errant vampire

I always get a little wobbly at that final “Where’s Spike?”

I agree it is notable that Buffy is, in the end also a protector. I love the symbolism of the coat and the sunrise.

It a thoughtful little nugget that I love

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

flow (13-04-19),Stoney (13-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,515 Times in 1,939 Posts

Priceless:

Buffy had to love the child once she was born.
    Bloody hell! There's me thinking it wasn't compulsory. Hope nobody tells my kids - it'll just give them something else to complain about!

It is a lovely interpretation of ‘courtly love’.
    I think the courtly love aspect tends to get overlooked by fandom because of S6. It's picked up again in S7 in the parodic Arthurian references and the symbolism of the scythe. At the moment, I'm quite intrigued by the fact that the opening scene in Lessons (Giles/Willow) is set in Westbury, Wiltshire but was filmed in Farmborough, Somerset. There are (probably) practical reasons - not least the fact that ASH lives in Farmborough - but why label it Westbury? And if it's Westbury, why are you showing me a real horse and not the Westbury white horse? Why parody the Arthurian myth but open with an earnest scene set in the area associated with it? It's doing my head in...

I agree it is notable that Buffy is, in the end also a protector. I love the symbolism of the coat and the sunrise.
    It's the "mother" - the relationship between the mother and child - element that interests me (please note: this is an academic, very abstract, interest only. As mothers go I'm pretty shite and have no interest in kids whatsoever - as my own will testify. That they survived to be 32 is down to their own initiative). If I had a functioning brain, one that told me to do something other than eat nougat and watch Marvel CU, I'd give both this fic and the sequel the thought they deserve. For instance, there's the messiness, the viscerality of the actual birth and a line in the sequel that has Buffy considering a spell to keep Dawn clean. I like this. There's also the coat, which is cleaned in the sequel. Okay - practical reasons but what of the symbolism - the idea that birth as experienced by the body (the coat bears the trace) is replaced by a more transcendent ideal of motherhood. I particularly like the use of ritual in the sequel. I'm rambling...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (13-04-19),Priceless (13-04-19),Stoney (13-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,708 Times in 3,695 Posts

Bloody hell! There's me thinking it wasn't compulsory. Hope nobody tells my kids - it'll just give them something else to complain about!
    I wish Buffy hadn't loved the child, had only seen it as a duty. But that's not how heroes are written. That part of the fic felt very by the numbers for me. To have Buffy feel little for the child would have added layers and complications.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

thenewbuzwuzz (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I wish Buffy hadn't loved the child, had only seen it as a duty. But that's not how heroes are written. That part of the fic felt very by the numbers for me. To have Buffy feel little for the child would have added layers and complications.
    OMG...it's so hard. I honestly don't know if the feelings I had for my own kids qualify as "love". I wouldn't have allowed anyone or anything to hurt them (I'd have killed to protect them) but...bugger me...they were boring and hard work. And then there's the expectations society places on the mother...

I'm fairly sure that it's this that comes out in the second fic...and this finds a parallel in her relationship with Spike and her feelings about being a slayer. It's very clever but I'd need to write an essay on it (and it's one of those fics that I could write an essay on) to fully justify my argument.

It's safe to read up to C14. Chapter 14 gives you a Spuffy ending. I really like Dawn in this...in fact, I wish canon had used her in this way. I normally baulk at baby fics but I liked this one.
    Last edited by TriBel; 13-04-19 at 12:31 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 875 Posts

This is a spuffy story for me. Spuffy is complicated and a journey. It's not always pretty but it's real. Can anyone link the sequel? I'm having problems finding it.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (13-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,475 Posts

Here you go (by the way, the banner is amazing): https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-04-19),TriBel (13-04-19)

Thanks

Is it the same author under a different pen name? Or someone else wrote the sequel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Is it the same author under a different pen name? Or someone else wrote the sequel?
    Someone else - but with the original author's blessing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (14-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 504 Posts

I thought I'd read Fin Amour in the past, but it turns out I hadn't. I thought it was a great story and very moving. I cried when Spike died. The saddest part was that he died thinking he'd failed. That was pretty devastating. I'm definitely going to read the sequel (even though I normally don't read WIPs) just because I need Spike to know he didn't fail. Also, know the moonmoth is a great author -- I love her stories. (I had just avoided this one so far, because WIP.)

Some details I loved were Buffy using the frying pan to fight the knights on the SUV (killing no one) and Ben using Spike's lighter to sterilize the knife. I do hope Buffy later realized it was Spike's and took it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Stoney (15-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (15-04-19),TriBel (15-04-19)

Thanks

I really enjoyed both stories and I too avoid WIPs but I'm so glad he kept going for the bit of closure.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-04-19)