Thread: How 'Buffy' Made Kinky Sex Mainstream

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 752 Posts

Default How 'Buffy' Made Kinky Sex Mainstream

How 'Buffy' Made Kinky Sex Mainstreamhttps://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...es-20-years-on

Spike, Angel, and all the others were the embodiment of unbridled, kinky, sadomasochistic sex for a heavily female and LGBTQ audience.

I came to the show halfway through primary school, and immediately started saving up pocket change for the VHS box sets. The vampires terrified me, but were magnetic, and I can remember the scenes featuring them above any others. Their willing victims always following them to an alleyway, ready to get to second base, but quickly finding themselves in a biting session. Their outfits were long PVC trench coats, chokers, lots of red and black, hair Brylcreemed back with the women walking around on six-inch heels. I especially remember Drusilla and Spike acting like the other was a cupcake; their orgasmic faces, fanged teeth bared, moving their open mouths in a mid-air love bite as if trying to breathe in the sex they were exuding. Drusilla with her pointed nails, drawing them across Spike's skin. These were two people operating under the kind of sexual charge I'd never witnessed before.

If I vaguely understood it while watching as a child, I definitely wouldn't have been able to articulate what I thought all this physical contact meant. But watching all seven seasons multiple times through as an adult fan, the message is clearer every time: the vampires are a metaphor for—and the total embodiment of—unbridled, kinky, sadomasochistic sex.

I know that watching Spike, Dru and Angel interact when Angel was captive really was nicely beyond the norm f the time. Interesting article - I like the rest of it.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (02-04-19),Silver1 (02-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (02-04-19),thenewbuzwuzz (04-04-19),vampmogs (02-04-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I'm going to disagree hard with this article. I think the show did the exact opposite in fact and with sex in general. Faith enjoyed sex so she was classed as a slut. When she's in Buffys body, Riley finds something wrong when she talks about trying out fantasies before they revert to the power of missionary which makes Faith feel love as an emotion
    for the first time. In S6 Buffy/Spike was meant to be portrayed as wrong by the writers and that Buffy was in a black unhealthy pit of despair. You literally have her sobbing in shame to Tara over it. In S7 when there love is meant to be genuine its basically sexless.
    Even on Angel the supposedly adult show, Cordy has an affair in S1 and is punished for it. Ie Expecting.
    As for Vampires, they are meant to be evil and morally depraved so if they do it, it's not a good thing.
    Tbh the show's and writers (see Doug Petrie commentary about just a dance) attitude to sex was pretty puritan imo

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (02-04-19),kamw30 (02-04-19),TriBel (02-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,065 Posts

Oh I remember this article and pretty much agree with It's conclusions. Buffy as a show ended up having some very dark sexual overtones which some fans (myself included) latched onto.

The resulting fan communities on places such as Live Journal were very popular and felt so freeing.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,794 Times in 2,668 Posts

I actually agree with the article. BtVS had pretty vanilla sex scenes overall (IMO even the supposed explicitness of the Season 6 scenes are greatly exaggerated) but it was kinky as f*ck in other ways. I still remember being a kid and watching Angel shirtless and chained up in "The Wish" and feeling... things... I didn't quite understand. There was a lot of shirtless, sweaty bondage in this show that pinged my interests before I had any understanding of why. And when you consider that it was a teen show on The WB, it's pretty interesting how subtly sexual and kinky it could be.

They're totally right about Spike/Dru. They had an electric chemistry between them that practically radiated off the screen and I love that they specifically mentioned the way that Landau and Masters would open their mouths in the air without actually touching lips. Landua brought a lot of sexuality to the role in the way she'd dance and move (even the way she rubbed her victim's chest and grinded up against him in "Crush"). And how many times was Angel shirtless and in bondage in some way in the first 3 seasons ("What's My Line", "Beauty and the Beasts", "The Wish")? And the series definitely had a penchant for showing the guys shirtless, sweaty and tortured ("What's My Line", "The Wish", "In the Dark", "The Trial", "Intervention", "Bring on the Night" etc)

Heck, whenever I watch "Dopplegangland" I'm still a little amazed they 'went there' with Vamp Willow and actually had her coming on to Willow. How many shows, even today, would have a doppleganger character seductively lick their doppleganger's neck and try and have sex with them? IMO it's actually still pretty radical for 2019.

The sex scenes were all pretty generic but I thought the show was really sexy when it explored sex through metaphor. The two scenes that immediately come to my mind are Willow/Tara's sweaty, panting spell in "Who Are You" and the Buffy/Angel bite scene in "Graduation Day II." And the vamp characters overall just oozed sexuality. I can understand to a degree if people feel that the writers had puritanical ideas about sex because on the surface things were pretty chaste. But I think there was a lot more kink behind the scenes or behind the writing than is immediately obvious. Doug Petrie may have sounded old-fashioned about the dance in the commentary for "Bad Girls" but he's also the same guy getting quick excited as he talked about the phallic imagery of Buffy and Faith ramming vampires with their long, thick stakes He was also the main writer pushing the lesbian subtext between Buffy/Faith.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (02-04-19),Silver1 (02-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (02-04-19),TimeTravellingBunny (02-04-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,065 Posts

getting quick excited as he talked about the phallic imagery of Buffy and Faith ramming vampires with their long, thick stakes
    Wasn't that remark from the Fool for Love' commentary regarding Spike and Angels fight in the tunnels?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (02-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,794 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Wasn't that remark from the Fool for Love' commentary regarding Spike and Angels fight in the tunnels?
    Oh you're right it was! Although, I'm sure he does mention the phallic imagery of the stake in connection to Buffy/Faith. But yep, you're right, he was talking about them ramming thick poles into each other when they tussle down in the mineshaft!
    - "The earth is doomed" -

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-04-19),TimeTravellingBunny (02-04-19)