Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you're stranded on a desert island with a fanfic to read.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 875 Posts

Default So you're stranded on a desert island with a fanfic to read.....

And you don't know how long, if ever, until you're rescued. What fanfic do you have to read and reread while you wait? And why?

There are so many stories I love and at first I thought I'd pick some epic million word story like the writing on the wall so it would take longer to read. But I think I have to go with demons I have known by gwennie. It's only 16 chapters but it has everything I want in a fanfic and does a tremendous job of both connecting AND adding to canon. It takes every thing we see on screen and adds to the in between of the story. It starts at the end of S7 and cancels out AtS5 which I do enjoy for its spangelness that I find very entertaining but I'm willing to live without for more Spuffy. Every character is written so beautifully. Dawn and her "kiss kiss sex kiss" line is hysterical. Giles's speech near the end to Buffy is beautiful. It is everything a episode of BtVS should be humour, horror and drama all rolled into one. If only this could be the end rather than that lousy S12.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (30-03-19),flow (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,827 Times in 5,308 Posts

Ha, you've picked a story that I decided not to read because of what I was told it did to canon. It just hits some things I prefer to avoid.

This is a really hard question. I keep meaning to reread Distress Signals by peaceheather and loved the Lost Continent series by Dactylgirl for fitting in to the comic canon. But I'd probably go for something tried and tested, that I have already read and reread and still enjoyed. I've reread a few of Holly's stories so perhaps the Yellow Brick Road series or, for the same reason, Legions of True Hearts/A Symphony of Echoes by Eurydice. Perhaps one of those (although you'll probably say I can't have a series or a fic + its sequel ). Picking one story is hard.
    Last edited by Stoney; 30-03-19 at 06:22 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19)

Thanks

Oooh I love Demons I Have Known and Distress Signals and Dactylgirl and Holly and Eurydice... maybe there can be a lot of separate beaches on the desert island and a system of barter for coconuts and Flint involving fanfics... lol

My go to would be Barb C’s series because of length and her clever use of canon and her love for all the characters, but it is a series....

Maybe Daemons Luminati by Kalima or The Sharing Game by Stuff and Nonsense. No, In League With Serpents by Weyrwolfen. Wait, Ipseity by SpuffyLuvr. Let me think... ooh definitely None other Than You by Tibialisant or What it is to Burn by Quinara. Enigmatic Blue’s Wounded Hearts? Coalitiongirl’s Embers?

I don’t think I’m very good at this game. I think I’d have to stick with Barb... or something by the Moonmoth..

Fail..

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks

Holly and Eurydice are both brilliant as are many of the classic spuffy writers including but not limited to Sigyn, sandy_s, all4spike, bewildered, cousinjean, damper and spoons, ellierose, gort, Myrabeth, mrs Muir, nautibitz, offyourbird, pagan baby, passion4spike, puddinhead, pfeirrpack, rebcake, sabreshadowkat,
    Slaymesoftly, spikeslovebite, sunalso,sweetpricipal, zabade. And so many other amazing writers.

And how will I ever survive my desert island without where have all the wings gone or strange partners? That might not be a life worth living.
    Last edited by GoSpuffy; 30-03-19 at 06:57 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 679 Posts

I'd pick just about anything by DactylGirl, but I'll go with In Focus (it's part of a series). Another option is Lizzerbeathen's Adieu, A Dew, I Do. Or slaymesoftly's A Summer Romance (which is also part of a series I think.) Or something by Sunalso/ Sigyn/ nautibitz, whom I love. Eurydice is also amazing.

I actually still haven't read that many authors...I start something but then never finish it, it seems.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,706 Times in 3,693 Posts

Ok I'm going to pick something I couldn't finish, or just barely started, because if I was stuck alone on a desert island I'd eventually be forced to read it. You all loved Life Harsh and Life Hard by Soulburnt and I just could not get into them. So I'd take those works with me and circumstances would make me read them.

If I had to pick a fic I loved, I'd be stuck because there are so many. Maybe Anaross or Lizzerbeathan . . . oh there are just too many

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19),TriBel (30-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    I'd pick just about anything by DactylGirl, but I'll go with In Focus (it's part of a series).
    Yes! It is part of the Lost Continent series I listed. I'm still trying to get to take multiple fics that are legitimately connected. You can rebel too and try to take the whole series.

There are many, many fab authors and I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love reading all human fics too and sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for. It's hard to pick one of anything when variety is the spice of and all that.

I actually still haven't read that many authors...I start something but then never finish it, it seems.
    Is there any common reason why you drop a fic do you think? I've not read many in the last couple of years, but when I first found fanfics I read hundreds! I've now got to the point where I keep wanting to go back and reread the ones I enjoyed the most. Even if I find my opinions have shifted a little in what I like or don't like in fics I still tend to enjoy them, which is why I thought I'd probably choose ones for the island that I've read more than once. The others I wondered about, Dactylgirl's series and Distress Signals, I've only read once but I'd be very surprised if they both don't remain favourites on a reread.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,515 Times in 1,939 Posts

I wouldn't take anything, on the grounds that I wouldn't be able to think of the titles. It's likely that by the time I'd recalled them, a volcanic eruption would have occurred, the lava would have cooled and there'd be a bridge back to the mainland. This is me walking over the bridge still trying to think of titles.

I wouldn't take DactylGirl because they're perfect and because they're perfect and complete I couldn't do anything with them. I'd take Lizzerbeathan because she's not perfect - there's more room for thought.

Taking something called "Distress Signals" to a desert island where you're supposedly stranded is cheating.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 504 Posts

Lots of good choices! Like kamw30, my first thought would be to go for Rahirah's Barbverse. But, that's a lot of stories. So if I had to pick just one, I guess I'd just take the longest of those...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,475 Posts

I don’t have to think twice. It would be My Life Closed Twice by anaross because it’s Spuffy plus fiction plus poetry. Three in one. When I will have finished it, I am going to build a boat and row over to Pricey‘s island and borrow Life Hard.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),TriBel (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,706 Times in 3,693 Posts

We could swap flow, because My Life Closed Twice is one of my favourites

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),TriBel (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,515 Times in 1,939 Posts

I think there's some licence being given to the idea of "stranded on a desert island".

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19)

Thanks

Taking something called "Distress Signals" to a desert island where you're supposedly stranded is cheating.
    Gold Star observation! But it is a wonderful story.

Spuffyglitz and Stoney, of recent authors try The Sharing Game by Stuffandnonsense. You’ll finish it (if you haven’t already)

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=4086

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19),TriBel (30-03-19)

Thanks

I haven't read it but I've taken copies of it and the two short sequels and added them to the impossible mountain of fics I wish I had more time to read.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,475 Posts

I am very tempted to row to GoSpuffy´s island as well. Demons I Have Known is the only fic I have ever read that covers Spike and Buffy`s Story from season 2 to season 7, adds missing scenes throughout, adds dialogue or missing details to well known scenes but never changes canon in a drastic way. It is the one and only story that makes me feel like watching the show. Great stuff. But it`s too short for taking it with me to a deserted island. I`d devour it in about half a day and then I would have to count coconuts for the rest of my life...

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),TriBel (30-03-19)

Thanks

Aargh, each to their own, as what I've heard it does to canon, how it treats the S6 relationship most especially and how it presents Spike's attitude towards them in S7 stops me reading it. Ah, well, I'll just wave and stay on my own island sending Distress Signals.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19)

Thanks

It seems we're all going to be on a string of desert islands so the important thing is to bring bottles to float each other stories to exchange. Not how I pictured it but love the creative problem solving.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Yes! It is part of the Lost Continent series I listed. I'm still trying to get to take multiple fics that are legitimately connected. You can rebel too and try to take the whole series.
    Oh of course! I love that series! Since they're connected I'm taking the entire series with me then

There are many, many fab authors and I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love reading all human fics too and sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for. It's hard to pick one of anything when variety is the spice of and all that.
    I remember reading one All Human one that I enjoyed (at least, I think it was all human, can't recall its name.) It was posted on one of the fanfic discussion threads. I think Buffy had some witch powers though...it had a very gothic/ fairy tale setting, Spike was unable to speak and they communicated through telepathy I think. Can't remember it's name. All Human are interesting to me too so long as they retain their basic personalities!

Is there any common reason why you drop a fic do you think? I've not read many in the last couple of years, but when I first found fanfics I read hundreds! I've now got to the point where I keep wanting to go back and reread the ones I enjoyed the most. Even if I find my opinions have shifted a little in what I like or don't like in fics I still tend to enjoy them, which is why I thought I'd probably choose ones for the island that I've read more than once. The others I wondered about, Dactylgirl's series and Distress Signals, I've only read once but I'd be very surprised if they both don't remain favourites on a reread.
    Now I'm curious about Distress Signals! Never heard of it before. Usually I start something, love parts of it but then encounter something that feels like a drag so I either skip ahead or read very slowly and commit to it or eventually abandon it. But there are some fics that just don't let me down and I keep reading till the end. Like DactylGirl and certain others. I have some excellent fics I have still to finish (I think a Quinara series is one of them) that are going to take time because they're somewhat long. With those I sometimes cheat and skip ahead, then come back. Usually what makes me drop a fic is if the writing's too insipid or the voices don't feel right or there's some kind of insidious bashing/ blame throwing involved (especially Buffy bashing) or it's just too long, lol.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),kamw30 (30-03-19),Priceless (30-03-19),Stoney (30-03-19)

Thanks

The fic you're thinking of with Buffy as a witch was Wooded Path by Linnae13 I think.

This is Distress Signals. It's an unusual pick for me because I read far more early season fics and tend to be more bothered by the tangents from canon the further along canon the tangent goes from. There is more that has come before the fic that the fic itself can clash with despite, theoretically, following it. If you see what I mean. This ignores post AtS 5 in canon, but I really enjoyed it. I must reread it at some point soon (and hope it doesn't disappoint on a reread).

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Aargh, each to their own, as what I've heard it does to canon, how it treats the S6 relationship most especially and how it presents Spike's attitude towards them in S7 stops me reading it. Ah, well, I'll just wave and stay on my own island sending Distress Signals.
    I’m not sure what you’ve read, Stoney but it really is a ‘missing scene’ type of fic. Sometimes I thought it was so well written I wondered who the author really was - especially given the authors very sudden arrival and sudden departure.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

flow (30-03-19),GoSpuffy (31-03-19)