View Poll Results: What do you prefer?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it the way it is (and add me to the list with hosts. )

0 0%
  • Keep the concept of a challenge, but do it differently.

0 0%
  • Replace the challenges with something else.

1 50.00%
  • Something else...

1 50.00%

Thread: Our itty bitty challenge problem...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,254 Posts

Default Our itty bitty challenge problem...

For a few months the old way of hosting challenges brought some life to this section. But we're back at square one, barely anyone wants to host or enter one. At the same time challenges are a source of inspiration for some of us, so it would be a pity if we had no challenges anymore. Stoney suggested to leave the challenges open so people could go back and enter a challenge when they have the inspiration months later. Which is an option, but not one that solves the host-problem.

So, feel free to join us and brainstorm. How can we lower the bar to enter new challenge ideas and what should we do to welcome more entries? Or maybe you have an alternative for the challenges.... we would love to hear all your ideas, suggestions, tips and feedback!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (20-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,773 Times in 5,271 Posts

I really don't know what the answer is so I wasn't at all sure how to vote. I love having the challenges. They really do prompt me to do pieces and in fact I rarely ever do anything without a prompt.

I wonder if we could use a mix of new challenges and throwback ones, as we've done in the past, to allow for the reduced numbers of people that offer to host a challenge. Hosting a challenge that has been run before comes with the advantage of getting to participate in it too and not having to originate the idea. The question then becomes about how we structure awards/feedback. That could also possibly affect how many people are willing to host too. I don't know, but the perception of what is involved with hosting might seem off-putting maybe. And personally I like getting feedback, especially constructive criticism, but I appreciate a lot of people don't like giving it or receiving it so I don't know if that is a factor for some.

We also tried a thread briefly once where a prompt was put up and the idea was that someone claimed it and produced a piece within a couple of weeks and posted with a new quote/prompt for another person to take. A bit like a mix between a battle and a challenge. It was supposed to be a rolling thread but it only got two or three and then stopped. I was surprised that didn't take off and we could try to give it a go again but with the limited number actively involved perhaps that wouldn't work still.

It would be helpful to know why the people that came and joined in a couple of months ago then faded off again, but of course we know if they aren't here to say! It's tough to try to second guess what might make people stay or return so I think we really need to decide on something that works for the people who are actively participating. I'm happy to do varied options, I'm not really precious about the structure/type of challenges, it's always just a time limitation for me because it still takes me quite a while to manage to produce a piece.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (20-03-19),Priceless (20-03-19)

Thanks

I suspect that people who forgot to give feedback after they hosted a challenge or who were supposed to enter something in a battle or an on-going chain challenge (like the one Stoney just described in the previous post) don't come back at all because there is this task waiting and you know you 'failed' to do something you were expected to do. So not only is writing feedback perhaps off-putting for some, it can be a reason why people don't come back at all. At the same time I agree with Stoney, feedback is one of the reasons why I love posting my stuff in a challenge. I like to learn and constructive critisism is very important for that.

No idea if there is a way to combine feedback without making it off-putting. In the past mods just helped, but that was in the time there were four mods here.

Maybe we can do one challenge thread where every month a new idea (or one that has been done before/throwback challenge) is posted but the previous prompts are still open? People who like feedback can mention that in the post and everybody who has some time can post feedback?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-03-19),Stoney (20-03-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 441 Posts

Personally, I don't think the challenges are a problem it's the number of people who are willing to create.

I created the banner/icon meme challenge for quickness and to have fun for the same reason to get more people involved. But that seems to be going downhill.

What about a battle royal?

"buffylover vs example vs example vs example."

Nina, could you give out rep?

What about a non-fan artist hosting a challenge?

And plus I was excited to do my challenge.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-03-19),Stoney (20-03-19)

Thanks

Oh, I don't think the challenge hosting list is necessarily defunct??

I have tried to drop into the banner challenge too, but even small pieces aren't quick for me. Still, I think having something like that which is for smaller pieces is a great idea. I wonder if it suffers from being a running thread though. In that people would have to search back to find what the current prompts are. I don't know, but I think it is great to have it in the mix and have variety of challenges on offer.

Perhaps the offer of feedback from a host if requested or giving entrants the choice to mark their entry saying feedback is welcome is a good way to not lose that aspect but to stop it being off-putting to being a host or entering a challenge. If we do every other challenge whilst we are limited by the number of participants as a throwback then it can be considered as just a community challenge without anyone specifically hosting it and everyone/anyone can give feedback to those who enter a piece saying that they'd like some.

I'm not sure if leaving challenges open would result in them getting revisited more than them just being chosen by someone to be a throwback challenge at a later point. I know without the presence of a deadline I would probably always end up bumping participation for something time pressured that I needed to do instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure I understand the battle royal?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-03-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

For me personally, I like the sound of the battle royal because it seems to hit all the stones... For example, there is a theme a personal requirement and feedback...

Take a look at mine and Nina's battle their is a theme 'The devil' and within each round, we gave out the requirements for a challenge and also feedback.

I personally think also it's the deadness of this side because to be truthful I don't think there is nothing wrong with the challenges. But I think we need to do something for the current users who are active.

Thanks

You can still host your challenge, probably this week already. I don't think that Puppet is still around.

Not sure about doing a battle instead of a challenge. If one person stops/doesn't return, the battle can't continue. It's too much of a risk IMO.

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    You can still host your challenge, probably this week already. I don't think that Puppet is still around.
    I email Puppet over at the BB if she wants to host her challenge.

Not sure about doing a battle instead of a challenge. If one person stops/doesn't return, the battle can't continue. It's too much of a risk IMO.
    This idea was more of the active members. IMO I don't think the throwback challenges would work either because we already tried that idea but it won't hurt anyone I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    I email Puppet over at the BB if she wants to host her challenge.
    Thanks, but that is not necessary. I'll give her ten days to respond to the PM I send her last week. If it remains silent, we move on.

This idea was more of the active members. IMO I don't think the throwback challenges would work either because we already tried that idea but it won't hurt anyone I guess.
    Also active members can leave/be super super slow. Battles are fun, but they require artists who can produce something winthin a week (especially when several people participate, you can't ask somebody to wait a month before it's their turn.). And most of us can't do that.

About the Throwback Challenge, I don't think anyone of us considers that a brilliant idea to fix the current situation. But if we want something challenge-like but lack people who want to set up new challenges, it is one of the few options left.

Another option is to leave it be. Stop with challenges. People can look at the Dead Threads for prompts and inspiration and post their art in the general threads if they want to. I would be okay with that.

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Thanks, but that is not necessary. I'll give her ten days to respond to the PM I send her last week. If it remains silent, we move on.
    No worries I got a reply back sadly she doesn't want to host her challenge.

But the users that are active seemed to be always doing other activities on the forum. There always seemed to reach the deadline for the challenges.

I have to admit I don't like the idea of throwbacks it comes across lazy and I think sadly if we do the bottom idea it would be completely dead.

How about our own separate art thread? but then again it would probably be just me. So I don't know what to do. Maybe just keep the same format and go with the flow?

Thanks

I think the throwback challenges would just be a way to keep bringing up challenges that can be used as prompts without needing as many people ready/willing to host and originate one. I think it will be a shame if the challenges stop because I know that I will likely stop producing pieces without a prompt/deadline to work from. But that's just me. But I would say if we stop having current activity, threads and challenges, then the section will just slow further or even fully grind to a halt again. It would be a shame I think, but that's a selfish pov. I'd hate to think that it feels like a burden to anyone. Personally I think if there is interest in arting/interacting still, even if it is with just a small number of members, then there is value to continuing. Losing the more formal aspects like rewards or feedback (that isn't requested) makes it 'lighter/easier' to participate and might encourage newer, less experienced members to participate more (such as picking out a throwback challenge).

Are there other ways to generate prompts/challenges that could be easier other than throwback challenges or the lighter threads such as the icons/banners? Could we do a series of challenges that explore art techniques or technical skills for example. So something just as straight forward as using the pen tool could be the feature that month. The thread on it could be open for discussion, advise and interaction between members with the idea being that you'd show a piece at the end where you've tried the technique or skill or explored the tool that was under discussion. It'd just be another 'type' to add to the mix. So one month we could have a hosted challenge (a new one set by a member), the next based on exploring a technical skill, tool or technique, then a third as a throwback. That would keep new challenges turning over every 4-6 weeks without the smaller number of active members and smaller number of active hosts mattering.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (22-03-19),Double Dutchess (23-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    No worries I got a reply back sadly she doesn't want to host her challenge.
    In that case you can start one when you have the time to open a thread.

Maybe just keep the same format and go with the flow?
    Don't really think there is any future for this format here. And I think Stoney is right when she says:

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    But I would say if we stop having current activity, threads and challenges, then the section will just slow further or even fully grind to a halt again.
    If we don't come up with something, we will probably have to turn off the lights in this section.

Are there other ways to generate prompts/challenges that could be easier other than throwback challenges or the lighter threads such as the icons/banners? Could we do a series of challenges that explore art techniques or technical skills for example. So something just as straight forward as using the pen tool could be the feature that month. The thread on it could be open for discussion, advise and interaction between members with the idea being that you'd show a piece at the end where you've tried the technique or skill or explored the tool that was under discussion. It'd just be another 'type' to add to the mix. So one month we could have a hosted challenge (a new one set by a member), the next based on exploring a technical skill, tool or technique, then a third as a throwback. That would keep new challenges turning over every 4-6 weeks without the smaller number of active members and smaller number of active hosts mattering.
    I'm willing to give it a try.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (22-03-19),Double Dutchess (23-03-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I really like this idea.

We could do a meme challenge like my icon meme challenge but more with wallpapers/Tumblr? I'm so up for "exploring a technical skill, tool or technique". I'm not to keen on a throwback challenge.

I like the feeling of making new challenges and journeys. But it's not end of the world.

I'm creating my challenge now.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (23-03-19),Stoney (22-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 488 Posts

Yeah, it's a real pity that this subforum isn't that lively at the moment. I love participating in challenges, and I would be sad if we didn't have them anymore. Having said that, as you're probably all aware by now, time is a huge issue for me. I may WANT to participate, but often I just don't manage to meet the deadline. On the other hand, I'm sure that without deadlines I wouldn't do anything at all

Concerning some of the suggestions that were made: I am fine with making feedback optional. I like getting feedback, but I also really don't mind getting none. I like the idea of having technical challenges! It will force me to try out some new things. I'm not opposed to throwback challenges because most of them are new to me anyway. But I do need deadlines.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-03-19),Stoney (23-03-19)