Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ‘Angel’ Reunion: “We May Have Something In The Works”

Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 1,718 Posts

Although season 5 is the only season of Angel I have watched I don’t remember a brainwashed senator. When did he appear?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,114 Posts

Well,I consider After The Fall and season 8-12 canon so they factor into my views on the shows now looking back.

I know it's a unpopular opinion and one Joss himself disagrees with but I still consider Not Fade Away a cliffhanger ending and a season finale forced to be a series finale.As a cliffhanger season finale,yes it would of worked for me but it just does not satisfy me as a end to the series

Again,I know most here and Joss himself disagree.

But Not Fade Away now works much better for me because of After The Fall.For me,After The Fall is a much more satisfying series finale.Angel's story then continued in seasons 8-12 but if it hadn't,After Of the Fall would of worked perfectly for me as a cap to Angel's story and Angel The Series.Much more than Not Fade Away anyway.

Again,I know that's a unpopular opinion but it's just how I feel.
    Last edited by BAF; 09-10-19 at 09:46 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (02-11-19),flow (09-10-19),Priceless (09-10-19),Silver1 (09-10-19),Stoney (10-10-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Although season 5 is the only season of Angel I have watched I don’t remember a brainwashed senator. When did he appear?

flow
    Towards the end? Maybe even in the last episode of season 5?

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

flow
    There wasn't. The Senator from Hell wanted her rival brainwashed to think he's a pedophile and Angel said he would do it but it never happened and he was only playing along with her

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (09-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,319 Times in 2,831 Posts

flow
    He didn't appear himself but his campaign rival, Senator Brucker, who was a demon and W&H client, did. In Powerplay she requested that W&H brainwash Senator Mike Conolley into believing he was a pedophile to destroy his campaign. Angel agrees to do it to fool the Circle of the Blackthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    There wasn't. The Senator from Hell wanted her rival brainwashed to think he's a pedophile and Angel said he would do it but it never happened and he was only playing along with her
    No it did happen. In Not Fade Away when Gunn enters Senator Brucker's office she is speaking on the phone and says - "If Mike Conolleys recent confessions are true then he's a very sick man who needs professional help."

Mike Conolley was her political rival who she wanted brainwashed in Power Play. What else could she be referring to when she said this? Angel totally had him brainwashed. He was collateral damage for his plan.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 10-10-19 at 11:57 AM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-10-19),Stoney (10-10-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,825 Times in 868 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Well I disagree about the comics of course , but putting that aside, I'm not convinced that the kamikaze option was the only way they could get out. If they were going to risk their lives and we believe that breaking their contracts would do that, then they could have just left and returned to fighting on the ground and regained their moral integrity. It would also have not risked the casualties that could be greater than just themselves by starting a war in the streets of LA. But it is a good while since I watched it so I might feel differently when I view it next.
    They establish in Home that dying doesn't necessarily break the contract anyway.

What put me off about it isn't really the death mission, but that it was a pointless death mission and moreover a mission that would put hundreds, possibly thousands of lives in peril. Not just in LA but everywhere. What is to stop W&H from just going nuts and go after Angel's special people like they did Cordy in That Vision Thing?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-10-19),Stoney (10-10-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

New York Comic Con stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVi_a6jsByU (hour-long panel) (2019, 10-05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFvRu226_A (SYFY Wire) (2019, 10-06?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzhXMkDnxg (Entertainment Weekly interview) (2019, 10-07?)

I haven’t watched the hour-long panel yet, but the other 2 are great.

- - - Updated - - -

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVi_a6jsByU (hour-long panel) (2019, 10-05)

This is actually a great watch, if you have the time. I got some new info regarding some stuff.

I find it surprising that it seems Amy Acker is more popular than Charisma Carpenter regarding these Angel panels. Amy has Root from Person of Interest --which I never saw past the series premiere. She says she gets recognized around "half and half" for Angel and Person of Interest .

James says he gets recognized for Runaways as a "close second" to being recognized for Spike.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

BAF (14-10-19),flow (14-10-19),Priceless (13-10-19),Silver1 (14-10-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,114 Posts

Amy was also one of the stars of the X-Men series,"The Gifted."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAF View Post
    I know he was very unhappy with his season 4 story.
    Then he is a smart man. His season 4 vileness with CC makes me want to vomit. Had JM not come in for s5 I am not sure I would have watched it.

They used his character (Connor) to cuckold his own father - and did it with the woman who had been the closest to a mother to him, not to mention the fact that he "read" as a child (a virgin). It reads like child sex abuse and an abuse of power. It is only after we are thorughly disgusted by "Cordy" that we learn the truth.

Charisma was dealt a killing blow to her career and Vincent was the weapon. His character had such potential. Then he %=÷*+ his mom. I would hate it too. Glad he got to be sane and funny in season 5.

It is to his credit he landed shows like Mad Men. Sadly, much as I adore pre seduction Cordelia, Charisma lacks the acting chops of the others. If she had not done that full on sex predator role, I bet she would have landed some nice sitcom where she could play herself (bitchy but with heart) instead of the minimal guest parts she has had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Lilah and Lindsey may have been in the show more but Mercedes McNab/Harmony was actually in the main credits in AtS Season 5 so I don't think you can really say she was a side character. She was upgraded to the main cast that season the same way Spike/JM was.

Based on that, she really should have been there as should have Marc Blucas for the BtVS Reunion. It'd also be nice for Mercedes as she's been part of the Buffyverse from the very beginning. And when I say the beginning I mean, like, the very beginning; she was even in the unaired pilot presentation.

I'm actually not convinced that VK wasn't included because he's unpopular with fans. I mean, it could certainly be part of the reason, but it also may have to do with the fact that he made a lot of negative comments about the series, the crew who worked on it, and his character. I doubt he'd want to go (I'm incredibly surprised he ever agreed to reappear in AtS Season 5).
    I think he probably wanted to be remembered for something other than a sour faced boy who sleeps with the woman his father loves and then goes nuts and tries to kill her. His season 5 appearances leave me with the positive feelings I have for the character.

I think he used what they gave him well. He is a fine actor and I think Connor ends up as a tragic, complicated character. I dont hate him, but I hate what they did with him.

Season 4 (at least the arc with him and Cordy) was a major wrong turn for the show and permanently damaged both characters. I think it also factored into the cancelation of the series.

Until that arc, I actually connected more with Angel (which I started watching first). I think when Joss started to juggle shows like dinner plates, something was bound to crash and burn. The world on fire motif was fitting. Had it been anyone but Joss, i doubt there would have been a season 5. James was a fortuitous distraction and lightened the darkness we ended with. Killing Jasmine was necessay, but the way Connor did it did not help us view him any more warmly. It was chilling.
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 03-11-19 at 06:08 AM.