Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOOM! Buffy # 3 Issue Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 873 Posts

Oh, and *they* have finally met! ❤ Beautiful panels, and Dru is already jealous... 😂😂😂😂
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

flow (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,054 Posts

https://www.cbr.com/review-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3 is Fun, But Has An Identity Problem

Reimagining Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a new audience is by no means a bad idea, but will hardcore fans accept it? They should

by Mike Fugere
    – on Mar 13, 2019

Reimagining Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a new audience is by no means a bad idea. After all, the original 1992 film got a fresh start in the form the ridiculously popular television series a few years later, and it worked like gangbusters. All the kinks were worked out (more or less). The concept of a vapid teenage girl becoming a tough-as-nail vampire hunter is one that had room to breathe, and turned into something bigger than its humble beginnings. The growth Buffy experienced was organic, unfolding over the course of several seasons of storytelling that were completely disconnected from the original film.

BOOM! Studios' new comic is taking a similar approach as the show, but with a wider breadth of characters and mythology. Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3 does a lot right in terms of channeling the same youthful, spunky energy of previous incarnations of the property, while the comic struggles through growing pains.

In some ways, Jordie Bellaire and Dan Mora's position is unenviable. Even with the guiding hand of creator Joss Whedon helping them along the way. Buffy fans can be rather ravenous. The characters are as important and well-defined as just about any long-standing comic book character. For better or worse, there are always going to be certain expectations for a reboot or reimaging of a character so many people hold dear to their hearts. Thankfully, Bellaire and Mora have done an admirable job so far in capturing the camp and heart of what made the television show so charming in the first place.
    The third issue follows our hero as she deals with a giant, talking bat plaguing Sunnydale, though it might be more complicated than a simple giant monster of the week. The manner in which Buffy, Spike, and other residents react to this creature is one of the main sources of comedy; the ever-persistent in-joke regarding how nonchalant everyone in town seems to be over events of this scale comes across wonderfully.

While it's hard to say this issue was something phenomena, it was most certainly on brand for the character. My history with the intellectual property Buffy the Vampire Slayer runs deep, but it was never paramount to my fandom. The original film, starring Kristy Swanson and the late, great Luke Perry, was in constant rotation among my collection of VHS tapes. Part of the fascination was the fact that Pee Wee Herman played a vampire in it. There was something about seeing a figure who was a Saturday morning staple suddenly being portrayed as a blood-sucking monster that was simply captivating. By the time the show premiered, my love for the film had mostly waned, but was never snuffed out completely.

When the show arrived in 1997, I was already a teenager, and the younger, dumber version of myself scoffed at the idea of a new version of Buffy. The scoffing persisted for a few years until my mother and brother got into the show in a big, bad way; by this time it was syndicated, and the final season was airing. I didn't become a sudden Buffy devotee, but I did have a renewed appreciation for the character. I get a similar feeling to this new comic book series.

There is a lot of like about this series so far, but if you aren't on board by this issue, it's hard to tell if subsequent releases will change your mind. Beside the solid in-character jokes and plotting, the art is quite good. Mora's page layouts flow well, and the larger splash scenes involving this issue's monster look great. However, the degree to which Spike looks like James Marsters contrasting with how little Buffy looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar is a little off-putting. It would work better if everyone looks like they did in the show, or if they were all drawn differently.

It's hard to tell who this comic book is for. It might appease hardcore Buffy fans the same way the Ultimate imprint for Marvel appeased longtime fans who wanted something fresh, or maybe it will push them away. It's hard to tell in the current climate of fandom how the masses will react to something like this. Is Buffy a sacred cow? Not for everyone, she isn't, but for some, she may very well be, which is a shame because this series is familiar enough to be recognizable, but fresh enough to feel like something shiny and new.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-03-19),betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),flow (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),Silver1 (13-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,322 Times in 1,836 Posts

Does Cordy complain in this issue? So Spike and Cordy see each other again?
    Yeah - and gotta say, she's looking cute. She "saves" him from Camazotz (who's actually a bit pitiful). He acknowledges it and is surprised she's more concerned about his fashion sense (the amulet) than monsters. She points out monsters are pretty standard fare for SD. Buffy tells Cordy to walk away - she recognizes he's a vamp. Cordy refuses. Must say - they make a nice looking couple.

I've seen speculation elsewhere that the "Power" Dru's looking for is Angel.

I really like the cover - though I've only seen digital. I'm sure this is the guy I bought the Mondo poster from.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (16-03-19),flow (13-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,407 Times in 3,530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Yeah - and gotta say, she's looking cute. She "saves" him from Camazotz (who's actually a bit pitiful). He acknowledges it and is surprised she's more concerned about his fashion sense (the amulet) than monsters. She points out monsters are pretty standard fare for SD. Buffy tells Cordy to walk away - she recognizes he's a vamp. Cordy refuses. Must say - they make a nice looking couple.

I've seen speculation elsewhere that the "Power" Dru's looking for is Angel.

I really like the cover - though I've only seen digital. I'm sure this is the guy I bought the Mondo poster from.
    Mmmmm, not sure I like Cordy, ordinary girl, saving Spike. But they would make a cute couple. I'm hoping for some more snarky dialogue from the pair.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Mmmmm, not sure I like Cordy, ordinary girl, saving Spike. But they would make a cute couple. I'm hoping for some more snarky dialogue from the pair.
    There's a scene where Dru grabs Buffy and asks Spike whether she should be jealous. Cordy gets "flustered" and says she's uncomfortable with the situation (presumably, that she didn't know about Dru). It seems to indicate that he's stuck in the middle of the three of them - could well be a red herring - IDK. Nothing's clear - which I don't mind.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (16-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    There's a scene where Dru grabs Buffy and asks Spike whether she should be jealous. Cordy gets "flustered" and says she's uncomfortable with the situation (presumably, that she didn't know about Dru). It seems to indicate that he's stuck in the middle of the three of them - could well be a red herring - IDK. Nothing's clear - which I don't mind.
    Three of the franchise's female characters already literally circling Spike? I can already guess whose going to turn into the biggest fan of this book

I will get into the book later today, was thrown off by publication schedule.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Three of the franchise's female characters already literally circling Spike? I can already guess whose going to turn into the biggest fan of this book

Yeah...I'm a bit ambivalent about it. The academic in me can quite understand why Spike is so significant in the TV series and the comics (that is, I recognise his ideo-aesthetic function and it's the reason I'm so behind Spuffy). With Boom, I don't, as yet, have enough to go on to argue his ideological purpose. At the moment, I'm just going with the narrative flow - and the fact that he's kinda pretty.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (16-03-19),Priceless (14-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Nah, he'll probably be wondering why the rest of the girls (re)introduced so far weren't circling Spike.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skippcomet For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 638 Posts

If we're talking Cordy, then yeah, there's definitely some circling, chemistry etc. But Buffy? I think she's mostly uninterested and very business-like in that oh-it's-just-another-vampire sort of way, especially if you compare it to her scenes with Robin.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (15-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    Nah, he'll probably be wondering why the rest of the girls (re)introduced so far weren't circling Spike.
    True, it seems a bit questionable that his allure hasn't already begun rowing upstream on Willow and Rose, I guess.

I got to read the book, it was pretty good, but I think the blocking of the action was a little... unwieldy to me. I felt very disjointed, felt like characters were just piling up to stand around. Also, I'm feeling like Buffy is a bit too much of a bit player in her own book lately. One would almost think that this book is about Anya, Spike, and Dru at this point after two of first three issues. And maybe kinda Cordelia. I wonder if BOOM is taking too much of their audience's investment for granted, because this doesn't feel structured to play as a debut of a new series to win a new audience, so much as a gallery of "look at the weird and subtle changes in all these characters I already have a engrained familiarity with". Would rather they just be introducing these versions of the character from the ground-up and assuming no prior knowledge by their audience... which would/should mean more Buffy by this point.

Love insta-Scooby Willow and Xander showing up. Xander getting to crack Dru with a shovel and have it be taken seriously is... so gratifying to me after so many seasons (from middle of S3 on) of treating Xander like he's a big joke in a fight. This is his best "ain't skurred of no vampire" moment since facing down Angelus in 2.18.

And of course, yeah, pretty sure he's gonna get turned real soon. The loneliness/existential crisis, the passive-aggressive remark to Buffy here... all pretext to how he'll be ripe to be turned, just like we got of Angel and Spike in the flashback episodes detailing them becoming vampires. Paired with Dru's threat at the end, and I think it's on.

Although I'm curious - if they turned Willow, would this constitute an invocation of "Bury Your Gays"?

Banner by LRae12

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-03-19),betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),Fandango (16-03-19),kamw30 (16-03-19),Sosa lola (15-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-03-19),Stoney (15-03-19),vampmogs (15-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Uh. Wow. ~ Buffy Summers

The third issue may not have a title but it’s still a lot of fun!

Spike enters Anya’s shop just as the giant, angry bat thing is about done completely trashing it. Anya’s clearly tired of Drusilla’s nonsense - even though she’s a thousands of years old demon she sees herself as a neutral entity in the conflict between slayers and vampires. I can actually see her helping out Buffy just because Drusilla pissed her off. Still, she does give Spike and Dru a pair of silver, protective amulets so they can deal with the bat. Meanwhile, Buffy’s out in Sunnydale, still feeling upset over what Giles told her. Buffy’s teenage-angsty musings are interrupted by a giant bat heading straight towards her favorite coffee shop. There we get to meet Harmony, chatting with Cordelia, and witness Giles singing and playing guitar. Suddenly the bat crashes into the open air bar. Buffy arrives, digs Giles out from under the debris, rather shocked that her watcher is a guitar player. Spike’s there too, trying to contain bat boy with Cordy’s help. Buffy joins them, pummels the creature and manages to get it away from the crowds. This is where things get interesting - the creatures asks her why? Why does slayer hurt? The kinda adorable big bat introduces itself as Camazotz - a being whose sole purpose is to protect the slayer and kill all vampires. This a nice twist and also a compelling development. An ancient, majestic bat buddy gunning for Buffy alongside her human support system changes the optics quite a bit, it might even make the reality of being the slayer a bit less lonely.

Anyway, Buffy notices Spike’s silver necklace. She tries to learn where he got it from but when Camazotz reveals that she is the slayer she quickly snatches the necklace and gets ready to fight. Spike’s not alone though - Dru ambushes Buffy and grabs her throat. Turns out, Buffy’s not alone either. Xander strikes Dru with a shovel, Buffy snags the second amulet and the vampires flee the scene. Giles gave Buffy’s friends a call and also asked Willow to bring one of his charms. With the artifact he can take care of Camazotz. Sleep now Camazotz. It is not yet your time, he says, and the grateful creature is sucked into a magical vial. The issue ends with Buffy reconciling with a genuinely proud Giles (solid character development) and Spike and Drusilla cliffhanger-ishly plotting in their crypt. I like that Xander’s resentment from the previous issue is addressed here and I like Buffy’s response as well. She’s just so new to this and conflicted as well. On one hand she wants to be this independent, all-powerful slayer but on the other hand she welcomes the help of her human and not-so-human friends. One more thing - the art is positively ridiculous! Three issues in this is the best looking Buffy comic ever.

I love this series so much! I was low-key worried about how it would turn out but it has surpassed all of my expectations.
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 15-03-19 at 11:06 PM.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),flow (16-03-19),Priceless (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),TriBel (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,581 Times in 2,599 Posts

Also, I'm feeling like Buffy is a bit too much of a bit player in her own book lately. One would almost think that this book is about Anya, Spike, and Dru at this point after two of first three issues. And maybe kinda Cordelia.
    THANK YOU!!

That's what I've been saying all along! It's really been bothering me and Issue #3 was no exception. In fact, Issue #3 may be the most guilty of this thus far. Buffy does not feel like the protagonist of this book at all. She has very little presence throughout the book and so far, as you say, characters like Anya, Spike and Dru have been in the centre of all the action and then from Issue #2 Cordy came bulldozing in with the vampire love interest and now battling monsters and Buffy is... just kind of there. She feels like a side character.

I wonder if BOOM is taking too much of their audience's investment for granted, because this doesn't feel structured to play as a debut of a new series to win a new audience, so much as a gallery of "look at the weird and subtle changes in all these characters I already have a engrained familiarity with". Would rather they just be introducing these versions of the character from the ground-up and assuming no prior knowledge by their audience... which would/should mean more Buffy by this point.
    Yes, yes, yes! It's been my biggest critique of the series. There is practically no effort to establish these characters as new characters in their own right and I definitely do think it's why Buffy feels so adrift and unimportant in her own book. The writers are having so much fun with making changes to all the secondary characters (and I have a feeling Spike and Cordy are their favourites) that there's been no groundwork to establish the story from scratch. It's just assumed that we'll think of Buffy as the protagonist because we're familiar with the original show so she's sidelined whilst they make their changes in the story.

I wasn't even going to comment on Issue #3 because I think it's the biggest example yet of the problems I've had and already stated about Issue #1 and Issue #2. But I just had to because I'm glad someone else is noticing it too. I really want to like this AU series but it's just incredibly lacking as a story in it's own right at the moment.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),Fandango (16-03-19),flow (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),StateOfSiege97 (16-03-19),Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks

I think they started off very well, with Buffy. I don't think the misdirect with the captioning hurt it at all, because it was self-evident that we were meant to understand that Xander's thoughts also reflect Buffy's internal life. And she was the focal point. But they have all but shelved in her in a bid to rapidly put down like all their world-building. And, yes, I feel whoever is at the wheel was a big early-seasons "Spike and Dru are my goth masters" super fan (NTTIAWWT) who is feeling this as their moment to show all us rookies how it's done

Banner by LRae12

25. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

flow (16-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

I think that they're trying to introduce all of the main characters (plus their relationships) as quickly as possible, in the first arc. I expect to see Angel and Darla in the next issue.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),TriBel (16-03-19)

Thanks

It’s a bit clunky. I suspect that’s the nature of comics but I get a bit lost in some of the action. Camazotz is out to kill vampires, but doesn’t. Buffy tries to slay him even after he’s made it clear he’s after demons then is surprised to hear ...he’s after demons. Then despite be clocked by a beam, Giles manages to recognise Camazotz ring Willow instruct her to get a charm and arrive in a nick of time. Did they stop for pizzas too? I liked the hero panel for the Scoobies but their being there so quickly was, um, convenient.

I’m not sure I’m connecting with the characters much. I understand this is a reboot, but they might have been better served introducing some new characters (particularly the villains)with an interesting story. Drusilla is crazy and Anyanka is a vengeance demon. Why make these fundamental changes to the characters rather than introducing someone else? It takes you out of the story. Okay these were popular characters that will draw fans in but it’s like someone new is wearing a ‘Dru Suit’.

On a positive note, the artwork is still fabulous although I did get a little lost with Anyanka, Cordelia and Buffy. I’ll kerp buying them, though. This isn’t a Bill Willingham yet ��

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),flow (16-03-19),Priceless (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),Stoney (16-03-19)

Thanks

Finally got my copy! Some random thoughts . . .

Still not happy with changing 'she' to 'they' in the intro. There's not explanation as to why they've done that, and I don't like it. Is it because there's more than one slayer or that boys can be slayers too? I need an explanation!

The art is great, but Mora's women all look alike. Cordy and Dru are both brunettes, so it's easier to tell them apart, but Buffy, Anya and Harmony are all interchangeable and that's a big fail in my book.

Harmony appears to have taken on Cordy's mean girl role, which is a shame as we lose a lot of Cordy's character arc that happened in the show, but maybe we'll get that with Harmony instead. What do Harmony's dreams mean, is she a Slayer too? I am not a fan of Cordy, a supposedly normal human, rescuing Spike and appears to have the same strength as him.

I though Giles sounded a bit petulant with 'you don't often enquire about my private life'. But the two are bonding, so I guess that sort of works.

Camazotz is Angel and this is their meet-cute The Pegasus reference is odd, because Camazotz doesn't seem anything like Pegasus, but that might return as a plot point in future. The story didn't really flow either, first she's beating him up, Cordy congratulates her on a good fight, then Camazotz is on top of a water tower, perfectly fine . . . feels like there are a few panels missing. And what's with Buffy's face when Cordy congratulates her?

The conversations with Spike lacks flow too. It's just odd, as is Cordy's 'I feel honesty is important in all relationships . . . I'm feeling very uncomfortable with all of this Spike'. There is major disconnect between dialogue and action in these scenes and some of the sense seems to be lost.

Liked Dru calling out Spike's name, that was fun. But once again, Dru's 'Should I be jealous' just seems silly and has nothing to do with the action. Dru's seen something between Buffy and Spike, that either Mora hasn't been able to capture or just isn't there. It's all just weird.

Enjoyed Willow and Xander turning up to fight. That's fun, though they (like Cordy) seem like great fighters already, when not two issues ago they had to be rescued at the Tuna Palace from a lone vampire and seemed to be surprised by the supernatural. (I'll have to re-read, maybe they weren't as surprised as I remember)

Like that Giles and the Camazotz show mutual respect, so in this world we already know that demons can be allies and they aren't all evil.

I enjoyed the previous two issues far more than this. Issue 3 seemed really disjointed and the dialogue didn't marry up with the action. Cordy seems unfazed by demons, fights them with ease, actually seeming to enjoy the battle, then accuses Buffy of wanting to get them all killed. It makes little sense. Xander's petulance annoyed me, and I didn't understand Buffy's repeating of Spike's line 'independent', which I think only works if you are already a Buffy fan, but is pretty meaningless in the context of this comic.

I enjoyed the issue, and I am looking forward to issue 4, but this was not as good as the first two issues. Looking forward to the big reveal in #4, it's gotta be Angel right? Doubt Willow or Xander will be turned, but Buffy losing her phone is a nice modern cliffhanger.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (16-03-19),betta (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),Fandango (16-03-19),TriBel (16-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,414 Posts

Why did Camazotz crash into the bar when he is human-friendly and only attacks vampires?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (16-03-19),Priceless (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

He seemed pretty disoriented so maybe all the humans/bright lights and whatnot drew him in? Or maybe he was seeking a watcher and Giles just happened to be there? Giles and Anya mention that it's not his time yet so perhaps Camazots is supposed to be unleashed during an apocalypse or something - that would explain his general lack of subtlety and whatnot.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (16-03-19),flow (16-03-19),Priceless (16-03-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Liked Dru calling out Spike's name, that was fun. But once again, Dru's 'Should I be jealous' just seems silly and has nothing to do with the action. Dru's seen something between Buffy and Spike, that either Mora hasn't been able to capture or just isn't there. It's all just weird.
    She was talking about Cordy, not Buffy. "You even made a new friend. She's pretty. Should I be jealous." That's Cordy. And that's why she said that phrase about "honesty" right after that.
    Last edited by Alce; 16-03-19 at 07:01 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (16-03-19),Priceless (16-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alce View Post
    She was talking about Cordy, not Buffy. "You even made a new friend. She's pretty. Should I be jealous." That's Cordy. And that's why she said that phrase about "honesty" right after that.
    You are probably right right, but I don't find the art reflective of that reading. We have Cordy standing behind Buffy, who tells he to walk away, Cordy says no. Then we have two pages of Buffy/Spike interaction, with no Cordy in the picture. Then Dru grabs Buffy (we still don't see Cordy) and says 'Well done William, you've even made a new friend, she's petty, should I be jealous?'

It's confusing because Dru is holding Buffy while saying this, and only after she says it does Cordy reappear. I'm not sure if Dru is talking about Cordy or Buffy. The art and the dialogue do not work together, they don't make reading the emotions/meanings easy. She could be talking about Buffy and Cordy jumps in with her dialogue, being her old arrogant Cordy self and thinking Dru is talking about her. For me I find that much of the action/art doesn't match the dialogue and makes it confusing.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Alce (16-03-19),Double Dutchess (16-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-03-19)