Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BOOM! Buffy # 3 Issue Discussion Thread

Graveyard Patrol Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 397 Posts

I read #3 yesterday. I liked it, though I agree with some of the criticisms raised in this thread.

I thought Camazotz was a fun addition. I wonder when he going to be needed, and what he means by all this "cleansing" talk. When Camazotz says "No soul, no life!" I wonder if this means he'll only kill *soulless* demons. So, say, a vampire with a soul would be safe? In any case, I'm not sure how much of a threat to vampires Camazotz really is. He doesn't actually kill any, and he also doesn't seem to be good at detecting them as he totally ignores Spike and Dru and just leaves them behind in the shop. Overall, he mostly comes across as cute, clumsy and not very smart. Not doing a very good so far, Camazotz!

Btw, what is a "monster sleep vase"? I'm not getting the joke there.

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Why did Camazotz crash into the bar when he is human-friendly and only attacks vampires?
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    He seemed pretty disoriented so maybe all the humans/bright lights and whatnot drew him in? Or maybe he was seeking a watcher and Giles just happened to be there?
    Good question and good answers. I really like a thing of evil's option B (seeking a Watcher), but my first impression was option A. Also, the reason Camazotz crashed simply seems to be that he got tangled in the lights.

I liked Cordy rescuing Spike. Cordy could be pretty badass in the show as well, so I'm buying it. Spike's reaction of "Guess it is I who needed help this time" sounds pretty stilted and formal to me. Is this supposed to be Britspeak -- would regular British people say it like that? Or is it meant to sound like very formal, Gilesy Williamspeak, as Tribel suggested?

I don't really understand why Buffy came up with the Pegasus reference, unless she was hoping to fly on Camazotz's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    what's with Buffy's face when Cordy congratulates her?
    I was puzzled by that too at first, but now I think it's the same as her disgusted reaction to Giles' words of appreciation later on. ("Too much sincerity -- Cannot handle.")

I agree with Tribel that Buffy snatching the amulet and Spike saying, "I thought we were gonna--" seems like a Harsh Light of Day callback.

Like Alce, I think Dru's "Should I be jealous" was aimed at Cordy. But Priceless is right that the art makes it look like it's about Buffy. Maybe it's an intentional tease for Spuffy shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by kamw30 View Post
    Then despite be clocked by a beam, Giles manages to recognise Camazotz ring Willow instruct her to get a charm and arrive in a nick of time. Did they stop for pizzas too? I liked the hero panel for the Scoobies but their being there so quickly was, um, convenient.
    Agreed. Actually, at first I didn't understand when/how Giles sent Willow for the charm. Only when rereading the issue I realised that he used his mobile phone to call her, and that was what the odd "How did you get Willow's number" exchange with Buffy was about. I still need to get used to the Scoobies using modern day communication devices. I liked Giles getting knocked out as another callback to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Also, I'm feeling like Buffy is a bit too much of a bit player in her own book lately. One would almost think that this book is about Anya, Spike, and Dru at this point after two of first three issues. And maybe kinda Cordelia.
    I got the same feeling when reading this issue. I do think it was done on purpose to introduce the whole crew and to highlight the "Slayer with family and friends" theme. (And this was also the reason why it felt like "characters were just piling up to stand around".) I expect Buffy will become more of a focal point later on.

I'm not convinced yet that anyone will actually be vamped; it's probably just a way to raise suspense.

One opinion I don't share with others is that Buffy and Anya look similar. I think they are both quite recognizable. Only Harmony looked really generic (and a lot like Buffy) but since that was basically only one panel, I'll reserve judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by kamw30 View Post
    This isnít a Bill Willingham yet
    Far from it, in my opinion! (Sigh of relief.) I agree the characters aren't really "themselves" -- I agree with you about the "Dru-suit" -- but I'm OK with that, because they're not supposed to be exactly the same characters anyway. They may not be the characters we know and love, but I'm still enjoying the comic in its own right. It also helps that the art is gorgeous.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-03-19),kamw30 (19-03-19),Priceless (17-03-19),Silver1 (17-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-03-19),Stoney (16-03-19),TriBel (16-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,801 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    If we're talking Cordy, then yeah, there's definitely some circling, chemistry etc. But Buffy? I think she's mostly uninterested and very business-like in that oh-it's-just-another-vampire sort of way, especially if you compare it to her scenes with Robin.
    I agree about the Robin scenes. What I found interesting about the Spike/Buffy scenes was less Buffy's response than the response of everyone one else.

@Alce: I read it as Priceless did but it was confusing. I got the impression it was deliberately meant to look like a Spuffy moment without necessarily being one.

Also, I'm feeling like Buffy is a bit too much of a bit player in her own book lately. One would almost think that this book is about Anya, Spike, and Dru at this point after two of first three issues. And maybe kinda Cordelia.
    I don't disagree with this - she does seem sidelined - but perhaps it's intentional? Anya/Dru is a relationship based on business interests. Spike/Dru is a long term "romantic" association (Spike's use of the word "mistress" was telling). Spike/Cordy is possibly a new relationship based on romance. Joyce/Eric have a relationship that's just undergone a significant change. Willow/Xander is a long-term friendship; Willow/Rose - not sure about the duration of this but the "hand-holding" figures it as close and there's a degree of mutual support. Perhaps Buffy's on the sidelines because that's how she feels - an interloper? Perhaps there's something in her "nature" or something to do with being a Slayer that makes it difficult for her to establish relationships? Camazotz seems upset that Buffy rejects him. She rejects Camazotz with reference to Pegasus. She doesn't want to be Perseus? IDK. Then there's the statue behind her.

flow:

Why did Camazotz crash into the bar when he is human-friendly and only attacks vampires?
    My presumption when we saw him pre-release was he was a zealot - a vampire-killing fundamentalist as it were. So it's not that he's not human friendly - it's that he won't let anything stand in the way of his goal. It's one of the reasons I thought he might be Angel (he's the "opposite but the same" as Angelus). You can be a monster if you go to extremes, regardless of which side of the fence you're on. Also, didn't Buffy and Angel keep arranging to meet for coffee? In addition, Dru was destroying Anya's past. There's a nice logic is seeing Dru's past come back and bite her on the bum. Similarly, I've not given up on Robin & Bat God. He's Track isn't he - so driven to win (just as the Swim Team and the Coach were driven). If he's Robin and the son of a Slayer, it makes sense that he'd be upset when a Slayer hurts him. In addition, Robin and Giles had a mission at all costs to kill a vampire. As Thing of Evil says, maybe he was seeking a watcher and Giles just happened to be there? The role of a watcher was a discussion point between S7 Wood/Giles - and it was a Watcher that raised Wood. At the same time - I wouldn't be surprised if Camazotz turned out to be Dracula or an monster in his own right.

I really like it. I'm with thing of evil, inasmuch as it's surpassed my expectations.

Double Dutchess:
    Btw, what is a "monster sleep vase"? I'm not getting the joke there.
    Dunno...Sahjhan was in a vase. It could refer to something as simple as a genie in a bottle - or be a play on a very long sleep.
    Last edited by TriBel; 16-03-19 at 10:13 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-03-19),Double Dutchess (18-03-19),Priceless (17-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,092 Times in 4,940 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Spike's reaction of "Guess it is I who needed help this time" sounds pretty stilted and formal to me. Is this supposed to be Britspeak -- would regular British people say it like that? Or is it meant to sound like very formal, Gilesy Williamspeak, as Tribel suggested?
    I haven't read it (so I don't know if the context could in any way make it seem less so), but that line is incredibly awkward. I'm not even convinced they wouldn't have said 'me' rather than I in that sentence in Victorian times, (but with 'I' at the start - I guess it is me who needed help this time). It just doesn't seem grammatically sound at all. That they are trying to indicate they're blending William in a more openly surface level way in their version of Spike and so are trying what they believe to be some outdated phraseology to indicate that seems the most logical explanation. But people really don't talk like that and the idea that Spike would have retained such a turn of phrase when no one else around him spoke like that I think is really dubious.
    Last edited by Stoney; 16-03-19 at 10:38 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (18-03-19),Priceless (17-03-19),Silver1 (17-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,031 Posts

Just a quick flyby post.

I got my copy of Buffy # 3 yesterday.I enjoyed it.I'm starting to get a feel for the new versions of the characters and liking the dynamic between various characters.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-03-19),flow (17-03-19),Priceless (17-03-19),Silver1 (17-03-19),TriBel (17-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #3 Review

http://majorspoilers.com/2019/03/18/...ayer-3-review/

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (19-03-19),kamw30 (19-03-19),Priceless (19-03-19),Silver1 (19-03-19),Sosa lola (19-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-03-19),Stoney (19-03-19),TriBel (19-03-19)

Thanks

Where's Angel? You know the character who had his own spin-off show for five years?

I miss him.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lostsoul666 For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (Yesterday),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,257 Posts

I am convinced he will show up in issue 4. A major surprise has been announced for issue 4 already and we have seen every other character. He is the only one we are still left in the dark about. Personally I think he is going to Show up as Angelus instead of Angel.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday),Silver1 (Yesterday),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 598 Posts

Yeah, I expect Angelus as well. I think that Buffy will not be dating undead so there's just no reason to have a vampire with a soul.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday)

Slayer
    Thanks

That's what I've been thinking for awhile.That Angel will be soulless when he arrives.It's a great twist IMO and a great way to differentiate this reboot from the original.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),Silver1 (Yesterday),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday)