Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOOM! Buffy # 3 Issue Discussion Thread

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,077 Posts

Default BOOM! Buffy # 3 Issue Discussion Thread

Opening the thread for tomorrows issue 3.Full spoilers.

Bringing over those three reviews.

monkeysfightingrobots
    youdontreadcomics
    fanbasepress

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-03-19),Double Dutchess (12-03-19),Silver1 (12-03-19),Stoney (12-03-19),TriBel (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,639 Times in 2,006 Posts

Has anyone managed to order the digital copy from Amazon UK?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,949 Times in 3,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Has anyone managed to order the digital copy from Amazon UK?
    I weakened last month because of Spike, but this time I'm waiting for the hard copy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I weakened last month because of Spike, but this time I'm waiting for the hard copy.
    *eyeroll* And you call yourself a fan! I've actually cancelled one of the 3 copies of #3 I ordered 'cos I think it's the horrible Cordy cover but I'll still order digital. I don't want the Comixology one - I've got about 15 comics on it and can't access the damned things!

- - - Updated - - -

Cover - love the cover! It looks great on the ipad! As does Spike (lot of Spike Pricey ).

Thanks

Have you got it already TriBel? Do Spike and Buffy meet?

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

They meet and well...
    Spoiler:
    She dusts him the next page

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaddyManPrime For This Useful Post:

flow (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Not telling you. Buy the bloody thing.

Spoiler:
    Yes. Everyone meets. It's such a busy issue. There's obvious slippage in "William" (Dru actually pokes fun at the name "Spike") between a Spike persona and a Giles one. Harmony's with Cordy (she looks a lot like Anya and Buffy). Harm's being having weird dreams (one of which might be the collapse of SD in S7 - another about a homecoming dress). Not sure whether it's hinting at slayer dreams or just alluding to the original series. Everyone's out in the open about monsters and general SD weirdness. Nice page of Giles/Buffy which sounds like the old G/B. The monster has a back story (interesting in itself) and made me wonder whether my remarks about it being Angel were closer to the truth than I thought they were. Spike tells Buffy she's a little preoccupied with silver (original emphasis). Spuffy on at some stage or just a tease? IDK. Might be a partial allusion to School Hard. Dru meets Buffy - I should say I don't care much for Dru. Of Spike's name: "Spike? That hardly played in the 90s love. I guess things always come full circle don't they?). So the Spike we're seeing is one where the William (not Giles) persona is prominent. Really nice but decidedly odd full page of Willow and Xander (I won't spoil it) - definitely not S1. Who is Xander?). It's all really kinda odd. If someone told me these characters were all from different AUs or timelines, I'd believe them. God - Giles is proud of Buffy - Buffy wants to puke - so do I. An interesting exchange between Dru/Spike Dru:"Just a myth? There's no such thing! Only prophecies! Only legends!" Interesting for me because S11/S12 placed such emphasis on prophecy and legend. Nice cliffhanger

I liked it. - which is a good because I'll have three copies of the damned thing. Pricey - I think the writers are quite familiar with the old series. Lotta Spike - and he says "Oh Bollocks!".

ETA

If I wanted to get carried away, I'd start wondering about links between Xander and Perseus...or Jon Snow.
    Last edited by TriBel; 13-03-19 at 10:41 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

BAF (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),Sosa lola (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),Stoney (13-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,946 Times in 5,383 Posts

The thread is marked as having full spoilers TriBel, you don't need to tag anything.

It all still sounds a fun interesting muddle of bits/bobs of the original and some meanderings.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    The thread is marked as having full spoilers TriBel, you don't need to tag anything.

It all still sounds a fun interesting muddle of bits/bobs of the original and some meanderings.
    "Meanderings" in the sense of twists - yes. Meanderings in the sense of "Oh what a lovely day. Just look at this little brook meandering its way across a sunny meadow", it ain't. It's sorta "meandering meets rapids...and is that Niagara Falls in the distance?". It fair charges along.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,105 Posts

Yeah, I enjoyed this issue too. I'm still very smitten with the art.

Putting under tags just because there's a lot of images.
    Spoiler:

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-03-19),BAF (13-03-19),betta (13-03-19),flow (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),Stoney (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Graveyard Patrol Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

This was was decent, but not nearly as exiting as the last one. The fourth issue is supposed to have a huge satisfying climax, but a how can that be, if there is no build up? This issue was like one big diversion with little new information and the monster is effectively neutralised at the end. Will they use bat boy to fight whatever Drusilla hopes to summon form the Hellmouth?

I liked that Spike's nickname hasn't caught on and that he's still trying to make it a thing.

Oh, and Harmony is here, but it wasn't as exciting as it should have been.

Xander saves Buffy with a shovel and then we see a cool shot of him framed by batwings (or vampire-y angel wings?)

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-03-19),betta (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),Silver1 (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),Stoney (13-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,518 Posts

ChaddyManPrime
    They meet and well...
    Y-you`re k-kidding, right?

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 688 Posts

I love that Buffy called Camazotz her Pegasus, because a) Buffy knows what Pegasus is - that's definitely not something classic Buffy was into and b) that makes Buffy, what, Bellerophon? It's so interesting, I always enjoy those Greek mythology references.

I'm still very smitten with the art.
    Yeah, the art is just ridiculous, like, it straight up looks better than most of the covers!

Y-you`re k-kidding, right?
    Spike's fine, don't worry.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),Silver1 (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

This issue was like one big diversion with little new information and the monster is effectively neutralised at the end. Will they use bat boy to fight whatever Drusilla hopes to summon form the Hellmouth?
    It - he - wasn't neutralized. It/he was put in a bottle with - I presume - a metaphorical label that reads "use as required". It/he is associated with Pegasus. Pegasus was caught by the Greek hero Bellerophon. Is Giles going to take this role? We're told "This is not yet your time" - same thing that was said to Spike in S7. It's a "monster" that fights on the side of good.

Is the frame with Xander alluding to him becoming or flying the monster? If so, is he Perseus? Perseus slayed Medusa. A Freudian could have massive fun with that (particularly given the original Xander's issue with his parents and the depression he's suffering from here).

The monster's called Camazotz: "In Maya mythology, Camazotz was a bat god. Camazotz means "death bat" in the K'iche' language. In Mesoamerica the bat was associated with night, death, and sacrifice.

All this in an issue when Dru says "There's no such thing as myth".

Nah...just this is enough to keep me going.

Will they use bat boy to fight whatever Drusilla hopes to summon form the Hellmouth?
    If they'd told us this in #3, there'd be no need for #4.

I don't like Dru - hope Xander kills her!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-19),Willow from Buffy (13-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I love that Buffy called Camazotz her Pegasus, because a) Buffy knows what Pegasus is - that's definitely not something classic Buffy was into and b) that makes Buffy, what, Bellerophon? It's so interesting, I always enjoy those Greek mythology references.
    Or she may be thinking of Hercules from the Disney movie.

Though, there may be a subtle allusion to Bellerophon and Pegasus in the reflective water.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the frame with Xander alluding to him becoming or flying the monster? If so, is he Perseus? Perseus slayed Medusa. A Freudian could have massive fun with that (particularly given the original Xander's issue with his parents and the depression he's suffering from here).
    We know Xander is lonely and he spends Issue 2 looking at the girls. Maybe he will find his Andromeda. He does look like the big manly hero here, which is quite a radical turn-around for his character.
    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 13-03-19 at 04:18 PM.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-03-19),flow (13-03-19),Priceless (13-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-03-19),TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChaddyManPrime View Post
    They meet and well...
    Spoiler:
    She dusts him the next page
    Noooooo . . . but he's got that amulet from Anya, so I'm guessing he's okay

- - - Updated - - -

Not telling you. Buy the bloody thing.

Spoiler:
    Yes. Everyone meets. It's such a busy issue. There's obvious slippage in "William" (Dru actually pokes fun at the name "Spike") between a Spike persona and a Giles one. Harmony's with Cordy (she looks a lot like Anya and Buffy). Harm's being having weird dreams (one of which might be the collapse of SD in S7 - another about a homecoming dress). Not sure whether it's hinting at slayer dreams or just alluding to the original series. Everyone's out in the open about monsters and general SD weirdness. Nice page of Giles/Buffy which sounds like the old G/B. The monster has a back story (interesting in itself) and made me wonder whether my remarks about it being Angel were closer to the truth than I thought they were. Spike tells Buffy she's a little preoccupied with silver (original emphasis). Spuffy on at some stage or just a tease? IDK. Might be a partial allusion to School Hard. Dru meets Buffy - I should say I don't care much for Dru. Of Spike's name: "Spike? That hardly played in the 90s love. I guess things always come full circle don't they?). So the Spike we're seeing is one where the William (not Giles) persona is prominent. Really nice but decidedly odd full page of Willow and Xander (I won't spoil it) - definitely not S1. Who is Xander?). It's all really kinda odd. If someone told me these characters were all from different AUs or timelines, I'd believe them. God - Giles is proud of Buffy - Buffy wants to puke - so do I. An interesting exchange between Dru/Spike Dru:"Just a myth? There's no such thing! Only prophecies! Only legends!" Interesting for me because S11/S12 placed such emphasis on prophecy and legend. Nice cliffhanger

I liked it. - which is a good because I'll have three copies of the damned thing. Pricey - I think the writers are quite familiar with the old series. Lotta Spike - and he says "Oh Bollocks!".

ETA

If I wanted to get carried away, I'd start wondering about links between Xander and Perseus...or Jon Snow.
    Is Harmony another Slayer? I am thinking there has to be more slayers because why else change 'she' to 'they' . . . unless men can become slayers, and then I'd stop reading

There does seem to be a lot going on, which is good. I'm excited to read it.

Thanks

Noooooo . . . but he's got that amulet from Anya, so I'm guessing he's okay
    Pricey, that was nothing but a wind-up. No such thing happened.

Spoiler:
    Buffy and Spike meet. Spike wants to fight, but Buffy simply yanks his amulet. Dru attacks Buffy. Xander hits Dru with a shovel and Spike takes Dru back to their crypt.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-19)

Thanks

Love the art! it's so good.

Is that a statue of a batwoman on a horse? Has the red flying demon joined the scoobies, as he's after all vamps too? I think TriBel could be right and it is Angel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    Pricey, that was nothing but a wind-up. No such thing happened.

Spoiler:
    Buffy and Spike meet. Spike wants to fight, but Buffy simply yanks his amulet. Dru attacks Buffy. Xander hits Dru with a shovel and Spike takes Dru back to their crypt.
    Thanks WFB. I can't wait to read this, just to see them meeting. I know this isn't my Buffy/Spike, but I'm still interested to see how the characters interact.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-19)

Thanks

Love the art! it's so good.

Is that a statue of a batwoman on a horse? Has the red flying demon joined the scoobies, as he's after all vamps too? I think TriBel could be right and it is Angel

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks WFB. I can't wait to read this, just to see them meeting. I know this isn't my Buffy/Spike, but I'm still interested to see how the characters interact.
    For me there were shades of when she snatches the Ring of Amara (she snatches his amulet. Cordy complains about his taste in accessories - just as they all complained about the garishness of the amulet in S7 ). Also he says "Not fair! You didn't even - I thought we were gonna..." and she interrupts. Gonna what!? Stop interrupting! Then she says she'll fight him with her Bat-Buddy - "No darling - that doesn't sound like a fair fight at all". - which reminded me of "A Slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't in the brochure".

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-19)

Thanks

For me there were shades of when she snatches the Ring of Amara (she snatches his amulet. Cordy complains about his taste in accessories - just as they all complained about the garishness of the amulet in S7 ). Also he says "Not fair! You didn't even - I thought we were gonna..." and she interrupts. Gonna what!? Stop interrupting! Then she says she'll fight him with her Bat-Buddy - "No darling - that doesn't sound like a fair fight at all". - which reminded me of "A Slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't in the brochure".
    Does Cordy complain in this issue? So Spike and Cordy see each other again?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-19)