Thread: Bitty Buffy and Mr. Gordo by HCB starting 15th March 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Bitty Buffy and Mr. Gordo by HCB starting 15th March 2019

We will be reading a series containing of five separate stories. Each story is rather short and the whole series has a word count of about 15 k words.

It`s the Bitty Buffy and Mr. Gordo series by HCB and you can find it here:

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...p?seriesid=208

The discussion will start next Friday. I hope you will enjoy this!

Dear HCB, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 08-03-19 at 09:52 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (08-03-19),Priceless (08-03-19),Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 751 Posts

I've missed our club. Thanks for posting Flow

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Hey folks, the discussion is officially opened!

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,792 Times in 3,215 Posts

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo Make an Impression a cute story about Spike meeting baby Buffy. It was sweet and nicely written but I'm not sure about baby Buffy having a kick like a hammer. I'm not sure I like the idea of slayers being born with all the abilities of a slayer, as it would make it so easy to spot them and for demons and vamps to kill them.

- - - Updated - - -

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo Go to the Park Another sweet little story, nicely written. Spike pops up in the park when Buffy's playing in the sandpit.

- - - Updated - - -

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo Take Manhattan Buffy is now 4 years old, has run away and is wandering around Manhattan with her stuffed pig. I like the setting, and the interaction with Spike, though I'm still not a fan of a small child having slaying powers. I also got a bit lost with who Eloise was? This is who Buffy is looking for, but I'm not sure who that is. Still nicely written.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,103 Times in 4,947 Posts

These were so short I did read them in between the rewatch and fanart.

Fic 1 - If I was taking it even a little seriously I'd say I thought the axe reference was really awkwardly forced and the likelihood Spike would bother going undercover in the hospital rather than just brazenly taking what he wanted very dubious, but I was taking it as a deliberately fluffy AU and so thought it was a fun light first meeting.
    Fic 2 - Loved the addition of Seor Podgy and the reference to his lost monocle, that was delightful. I was also really amused by Buffy's zinc nosed look she was said to be sporting. This second meeting was really comical. Again Spike is a little patient and captivated, but that is to be expected really as these chance encounters and a draw being there instantly is kind of the point of the series I assume. A fun short fic.
    Fic 3 - I'm also not a huge fan of breaking mythology by Buffy having her powers already, but I ran with it for a fluff fic. I was amused though by the idea of Spike being so taken aback and appreciative of being slapped and told no, that he just let her go.
    Fic 4 - I liked that this followed on from the third after Buffy had run off. Boredom whilst waiting on your parent is something every child goes through so that amused me. The implication Buffy completed the pictures/works of art she thought were unfinished was funny. The explanation for why Spike was sleeping in the storeroom was a bit ropey, but I liked their interaction. It's totally ridiculous of course to suggest that he'd play hide and seek, just having him wonder why he hasn't bitten her, but it was still amusing and these are AU characters so I'm accepting he's a bit soft.
    Fic 5 - The ice skating meeting was sweet. Really amused at Mr Gordo being given a British accent like the guy Joyce likes on the coffee adverts. Spike covering for Buffy over saying he was a vampire, the whole amiable character made of him was fun. The interaction between Buffy and Dru was amusing too.

Overall as I'm always thinking in terms of eventual Spuffy, I find the idea of him becoming fond of Buffy as a toddler/young child first a bit odd. I have read this in a few other fics that do then go on to develop the romance when they meet much later, but it is a hard sell to me. Regardless I did enjoy these AU versions and the idea of them just having a series of random encounters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I also got a bit lost with who Eloise was? This is who Buffy is looking for, but I'm not sure who that is. Still nicely written.
    Yes, I wondered about that too and just assumed she was a celeb of some description that was well known enough the writer had assumed it didn't need explaining.

EDIT: Sorry, putting the fic titles in like Pricey did in my notes would probably have been more helpful.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-03-19 at 01:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,792 Times in 3,215 Posts

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo’s Artistic Awakening I really liked the framing of Buffy's previous running away as trying to teach her parents a lesson and now she was on 'thin ice' and her parents hadn't learnt a thing. I liked that was how Buffy was seeing things from her pov;
    “Actions had consequences,” Mommy had said.
    “I know, that’s why I ran away. Have you learnt your lesson?” had apparently not been the appropriate response.

There are some funny lines, but there are certain things I'm not sure a 4 year old Buffy would say, such as 'peckish' and 'wastrel' and 'canapes', which she spells 'canopies', which I'm not sure is intentional or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Overall as I'm always thinking in terms of eventual Spuffy, I find the idea of him becoming fond of Buffy as a toddler/young child first a bit odd. I have read this in a few other fics that do then go on to develop the romance when they meet much later, but it is a hard sell to me. Regardless I did enjoy these AU versions and the idea of them just having a series of random encounters.
    I agree Stoney, I'm always careful with stories that have Spike meet Buffy when she's a child. Some of them are actually very good and written in a way as not to foreshadow any form or romance, but I do get a bit creeped out by those that seem to suggest one or other has a crush on the other when they were a child.

I found these stories so light that there was no danger of being creeped out at all, they were incredibly fluffy and sweet.

- - - Updated - - -

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo On Ice This was the third installment, so I've read them out of order. This was my least favourite I think, maybe because it was a little too long. Still some funny lines and Buffy's pov is still really cute. Hand and Spike seem to get on quite well, which is funny.

Five nice little stories, short and sweet, and quite amusing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,103 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I agree Stoney, I'm always careful with stories that have Spike meet Buffy when she's a child. Some of them are actually very good and written in a way as not to foreshadow any form or romance, but I do get a bit creeped out by those that seem to suggest one or other has a crush on the other when they were a child.

I found these stories so light that there was no danger of being creeped out at all, they were incredibly fluffy and sweet.
    I agree, these were just fluffy encounters that were humorous and not a hint of creepy undertones. It's far easier if the writing is containing it to them bumping into each other without carrying the story onwards, it was an AU sans romance that I was quite glad for as it unquestionably kept it light and avoided that entirely. How amiable Spike was certainly fitted it being a gentle, sweet alt. It almost makes me believe that he really did find a good home for the girl in the coal bin... nah.

I forgot about that line Buffy gave about them having learned their lesson, that really amused me too. Such sass.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 751 Posts

These are a bit out of my wheel house but I've missed our book club and decided to read them just so the discussion made sense to me. I agree with "five nice little stories, short and sweet, and quite amusing" . I'd say most of the value lies in the humour for me.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-19),Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks

I am so much more willing to make amends for a funny story than for every other type of story. If the writer wants to sell me drama, angst, Emotion, romance or even just an adventurous plot, I won`t accept continutiy errors, plotholes, goofs or anything that does not comply with canon. But if you go for humour, you need some peotic license, because it`s not possible to have Spike meet Buffy as a toddler and have him not eat her if she hasn`t got a kick like a hammer.

So, yeah. she had slayer powers since she was born. It goes against canon, buit I can roll with it. I can also believe that they randomly run into each other several days in a row in a city as big as New York.

If she would have grown up and continued to see Spike, I would probably have been creeped out a bit. But this fic offered no hint a a romantic or sexual relationshhip between the two. It was just a small kid with slayer powers and a vampire Meeting and it made for a series of really lighthearted, funny and enjoyable short stories. I have to admit that Spike seemed a bit evil in the first stories and I was a bit afraid he might actually hurt Buffy. But he later must have found her likeable because he was really kind with her. There was a scene in the last story where he was twirling her around on the ice and I found that adorable.

I also liked Buffy`s internal talk with Mr. Gordo and the fact Mr. Gordo could talk to Dru`s pixies was hilarious.

I googled Elloise and there seems to be a children`s book about a girl called Eloise who lives in the Plaza Hotel in New York. This would explain, why Buffy went there to look for Eloise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eloise_(books)

flow

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-03-19),Stoney (17-03-19)