Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: BtVS Episode Endings elimination game

Thanks
    Thanked 12,977 Times in 5,394 Posts

I'm really failing to see what's great about the final scene of Tabula Rasa. Yeah, sure, Buffy and Spike are kissing again but...??

- All the Way
    + Villains

Bargaining (pt1) : (There are no lines over the final scene) - Magic is seen settling over Buffy's desiccating corpse in her coffin and life permeates her body again. Her eyes roll back and she wakes in her coffin, looking around terrified. - 7

Bargaining (pt2) : "You're home." - After finding Buffy and begging her to stay, drawing her down from the collapsing tower, Buffy doesn't look at all happy as she and Dawn hug. - 7

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 8

Life Serial : "Knowing you're always gonna be here." - After telling Giles how safe he makes her feel in response to his financial help as well as sympathy/support, Buffy goes to show Dawn the cheque leaving Giles looking worried. - 2

All the Way : "'Bout what?" - Snuggled up together in bed, Willow smiles and closes her eyes as Tara's response indicates her spell to make Tara forget their argument has worked. - 2

Once More, With Feeling : "Where do we go from here?" - After singing together, the group number finishes as Spike and Buffy kiss passionately and an image of curtains closes over them continuing to kiss. - 9

Tabula Rasa : After the events of the spell and seeing the resulting departures, we find Buffy and Spike at the Bronze underneath the stairs kissing. Buffy pauses briefly before resuming kissing him. - lyrics: "You were the one I loved..." - 5

Smashed : "You afraid I'm gonna-" - Buffy and Spike's fight becomes a passionate sexual encounter, as they fall through the floor together it ends with Buffy on top and the two staring into each other's eyes. - 8

Gone : Buffy and Willow, somewhat subdued, state they've made good first steps after considering Willow's non-magical success and Buffy realising she no longer wants to die. - "Yay." - 5

Dead Things : "Please don't forgive me..." - After telling Tara about her relationship with Spike, Buffy breaks down confused and upset, sobbing to not be forgiven, whilst Tara tries to comfort her. - 8

Older and Far Away : Dawn is surprised and overjoyed when instead of leaving like the others, Buffy stays in the house. - 2

As You Were : "I'm sorry... William." - After Buffy faces the negativity in the relationship for them both and breaks up with Spike, she walks out of the crypt and emerges into the sunlight. - 7

Hell's Bells : "It's time you got back to what you do best... don't you think?" - After the aborted wedding D'Hoffryn looks to recruit Anya back to vengeance. Still in her wedding dress, upset and broken, she looks up at him, her expression blank. - 5

Normal Again : "I'm afraid we lost her." After checking her responsiveness, the doctor at the institution confirms Buffy is now catatonic to her distressed parents. - 5

Entropy : Tara comes to Willow and expresses the wish to start the relationship again, asking her to just kiss her. - Lyrics: "When we find that kind of love." - 5

Seeing Red : "No... no... " - Willow, overcome with grief and fury as she holds Tara's body, raises her head and her eyes that are completely black turn red. - 5

Villains : "One down." - After magically flaying/burning Warren, Willow's eyes go red again as she teleports away leaving the others staring in horror. - 6

Two to Go : As Willow seems to take control of the fight with Buffy she declares herself unstoppable, just as a blast of magical energy hits her and Giles is revealed in the doorway. - "I'd like to test that theory." - 6

Grave : "We will return... your soul." - Having successfully completed the trials, the demon returns Spike's soul with a touch that results in a fiery glow to his chest and from his eyes and makes him scream aloud. - 9

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:
    Season 1 winner: I Robot, You Jane
    Season 2 winner: Innocence
    Season 3 winner: Graduation Day (Pt 1)
    Season 4 winner: Restless
    Season 5 winner: I Was Made to Love You

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 702 Posts

Well, I can’t speak for flow but I voted for Tabula Rasa's ending the one time, because I didn’t think it deserved to go just yet. It’s not the *best* compared to certain other brilliant choices, but it wouldn’t be my first choice to go so soon (at least not the fourth to be eliminated.) I do think the closing of this episode holds a resonance for the season’s themes, compared to some of the other choices (that I think could easily go sooner.)

It goes beyond it being about Buffy and Spike kissing for me. One could argue the OMWF kiss is more grandiose than the quiet, offbeat moment in the dark at the end of this episode. And yet, Tabula Rasa, the title's reference to a clean slate, works so well with the closing kiss in shadow amidst a general preoccupation with beginnings and endings. In the aftermath of two significant departures, Michelle Branch’s song about contradictory desire (“and it hurts to want everything and nothing at the same time”), bidding farewell to an identity that’s still undefined (“you” could stand in for Giles and Tara, of course, and their sudden absence — but it could equally stand in for Buffy’s sense of identity that she feels is slipping away, where she’s letting go of a past self even as she’s struggling to hold onto a new anchorage, something to ground her to life — just as it could apply to Spike’s struggle to hold onto to something that's partly illusory, partly real.) The "remembrance" of all that had been temporarily wiped clean by Willow's spell returns in a painful surge and a shift — a kind of "resetting" — takes place here that felt epiphanic to me.

So “You were the one I loved” works for me in terms of self-recognition as much as it is about the other person, about timorously opening up to a new sense of self. The ending is about Buffy for me...perhaps I'm the only one who sees it like that. I don’t know if I can explain it adequately but the way it all ties in thematically felt brilliant. I don’t think I’d like it to be amongst the top choices for this season, definitely, but I’ll probably still vote to keep it around for a bit longer before getting voted off.. I understand if you'd still like to vote against it, I'll try and defend it but not for too long

- Older and Far Away
    + Bargaining pt 1

Bargaining (pt1) : (There are no lines over the final scene) - Magic is seen settling over Buffy's desiccating corpse in her coffin and life permeates her body again. Her eyes roll back and she wakes in her coffin, looking around terrified. - 8

Bargaining (pt2) : "You're home." - After finding Buffy and begging her to stay, drawing her down from the collapsing tower, Buffy doesn't look at all happy as she and Dawn hug. - 7

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 8

Life Serial : "Knowing you're always gonna be here." - After telling Giles how safe he makes her feel in response to his financial help as well as sympathy/support, Buffy goes to show Dawn the cheque leaving Giles looking worried. - 2

All the Way : "'Bout what?" - Snuggled up together in bed, Willow smiles and closes her eyes as Tara's response indicates her spell to make Tara forget their argument has worked. - 2

Once More, With Feeling : "Where do we go from here?" - After singing together, the group number finishes as Spike and Buffy kiss passionately and an image of curtains closes over them continuing to kiss. - 9

Tabula Rasa : After the events of the spell and seeing the resulting departures, we find Buffy and Spike at the Bronze underneath the stairs kissing. Buffy pauses briefly before resuming kissing him. - lyrics: "You were the one I loved..." - 5

Smashed : "You afraid I'm gonna-" - Buffy and Spike's fight becomes a passionate sexual encounter, as they fall through the floor together it ends with Buffy on top and the two staring into each other's eyes. - 8

Gone : Buffy and Willow, somewhat subdued, state they've made good first steps after considering Willow's non-magical success and Buffy realising she no longer wants to die. - "Yay." - 5

Dead Things : "Please don't forgive me..." - After telling Tara about her relationship with Spike, Buffy breaks down confused and upset, sobbing to not be forgiven, whilst Tara tries to comfort her. - 8

Older and Far Away : Dawn is surprised and overjoyed when instead of leaving like the others, Buffy stays in the house. - 1

As You Were : "I'm sorry... William." - After Buffy faces the negativity in the relationship for them both and breaks up with Spike, she walks out of the crypt and emerges into the sunlight. - 7

Hell's Bells : "It's time you got back to what you do best... don't you think?" - After the aborted wedding D'Hoffryn looks to recruit Anya back to vengeance. Still in her wedding dress, upset and broken, she looks up at him, her expression blank. - 5

Normal Again : "I'm afraid we lost her." After checking her responsiveness, the doctor at the institution confirms Buffy is now catatonic to her distressed parents. - 5

Entropy : Tara comes to Willow and expresses the wish to start the relationship again, asking her to just kiss her. - Lyrics: "When we find that kind of love." - 5

Seeing Red : "No... no... " - Willow, overcome with grief and fury as she holds Tara's body, raises her head and her eyes that are completely black turn red. - 5

Villains : "One down." - After magically flaying/burning Warren, Willow's eyes go red again as she teleports away leaving the others staring in horror. - 6

Two to Go : As Willow seems to take control of the fight with Buffy she declares herself unstoppable, just as a blast of magical energy hits her and Giles is revealed in the doorway. - "I'd like to test that theory." - 6

Grave : "We will return... your soul." - Having successfully completed the trials, the demon returns Spike's soul with a touch that results in a fiery glow to his chest and from his eyes and makes him scream aloud. - 9

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; Today at 04:16 AM.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today),StateOfSiege97 (Today),Stoney (Today),TimeTravellingBunny (Today)

Sunnydale High Student StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you, SpuffyGlitz

I get it....

Now if someone could explain the animus
    toward Bargaining2....

It is not my favorite ending—I think that After Life
    does something similar, with even more—but, again, I do
    not want to see it go soon: the deadness on Buffy's
    face, which so clearly speaks her sense of not being alive,
    not being home—a sense that will haunt the entire
    season, shaped as it is by the thematics of home—
    so utterly wrenches, so sets up all that is to come....

And on another level, we have, finally, our next cut:

- Older and Far Away (far gone.... )
    + After Life

Bargaining (pt1) : (There are no lines over the final scene) - Magic is seen settling over Buffy's desiccating corpse in her coffin and life permeates her body again. Her eyes roll back and she wakes in her coffin, looking around terrified. - 8

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 9

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    19. Older and Far Away
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (Today)

Thanks

Well speaking for myself I adore the endings to both Bargaining pt 1 and 2. So I'm not sure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,004 Times in 3,839 Posts

Now if someone could explain the animus
    toward Bargaining2....
    I don't hate it, but for me it's the weakest of what's left. Buffy and Dawn hugging is sweet and we see how disorientated and unhappy Buffy is, but the whole season is about that, so there's nothing outstanding here. Other endings thrill me, this is just meh.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,715 Times in 2,229 Posts

- Life Serial
    + Smashed

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 9

Life Serial : "Knowing you're always gonna be here." - After telling Giles how safe he makes her feel in response to his financial help as well as sympathy/support, Buffy goes to show Dawn the cheque leaving Giles looking worried. - 1

Smashed : "You afraid I'm gonna-" - Buffy and Spike's fight becomes a passionate sexual encounter, as they fall through the floor together it ends with Buffy on top and the two staring into each other's eyes. - 9

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    19. Older and Far Away
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I don't hate it, but for me it's the weakest of what's left. Buffy and Dawn hugging is sweet and we see how disorientated and unhappy Buffy is, but the whole season is about that, so there's nothing outstanding here. Other endings thrill me, this is just meh.
    Thank you, Priceless

But this is where we differ:

To me, the hugging is not in the least "sweet"—it
    is gut-wrenching...

It essentially echoes Dawn's despairing cuddling-up
    to the Buffy-Bot in her terrible loneliness—

Only here, Dawn is so desperately gladdened by the sight of
    a resurrected Buffy, a Buffy who appears to be alive,
    that she cannot sense her sister's inability to return
    her embrace, her infinite distance from home, her
    continuing deadness—

For that is what Buffy's expression speaks: not "disorientation"
    or mere "unhapp[iness]" but utter absence and death—

It speaks the trauma of her resurrection, the impossibility
    that care for those whom she loved—her saving of Dawn,
    for example, which she accomplished rather mechanically—
    that love from them, will not be sufficient to resolve, given
    that she is still so stranded between life and death to
    feel love's reach, respond to its call—

I find this far more powerful than so many of the remaining
    episodes, even if not the most powerful ending of them all—

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,977 Times in 5,394 Posts

- Life Serial *ended*
    + As You Were

Smashed : "You afraid I'm gonna-" - Buffy and Spike's fight becomes a passionate sexual encounter, as they fall through the floor together it ends with Buffy on top and the two staring into each other's eyes. - 9

As You Were : "I'm sorry... William." - After Buffy faces the negativity in the relationship for them both and breaks up with Spike, she walks out of the crypt and emerges into the sunlight. - 8

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    18. Life Serial
    19. Older and Far Away
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:

Thanks

-All the Way
    + After Life

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 10

All the Way : "'Bout what?" - Snuggled up together in bed, Willow smiles and closes her eyes as Tara's response indicates her spell to make Tara forget their argument has worked. - 1

As You Were : "I'm sorry... William." - After Buffy faces the negativity in the relationship for them both and breaks up with Spike, she walks out of the crypt and emerges into the sunlight. - 8

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    18. Life Serial
    19. Older and Far Away
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:

Thanks

It seems, today, to be my role to
    strike the final blow...

Could I but make similar progress on
    this paper that endlessly refuses the writing
    (deadline not till 8 August, but so, so
    much to be done... )—

-All the Way (outta here... )
    + Dead Things

After Life : "Never." - After stating she doesn't want the others to know that about her revelation that she was pulled from heaven and life now feels like hell, Buffy walks on into the sunlight resolute and alone. - 10

Dead Things : "Please don't forgive me..." - After telling Tara about her relationship with Spike, Buffy breaks down confused and upset, sobbing to not be forgiven, whilst Tara tries to comfort her. - 9

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    17. All the Way
    18. Life Serial
    19. Older and Far Away
    20. Wrecked
    21. Flooded
    22. Doublemeat Palace

Results:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (Today),Stoney (Today)